It's official, Quebec is the most hated province in Canada

Dixie Cup
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
Somehow that doesn't surprise me. My first initiation into Quebec was when we were living in Ontario. At the time, I was working for MacMillan Bloedel. The Comptroller that I worked with (Dan) and his wife (Lucy) became friends with my husband and I. Both of them were originally from B.C. The B.C. Lions were playing Montreal on a Sunday afternoon and we decided we'd go to Montreal to watch the game since Dan was a Lions fan (we were Eskimo fans but also football fans). We left late Saturday afternoon, planned to spend the night in a hotel and go to the game the next day. The game was being played in the "Big O" - we were all excited.

Lucy, btw is from a French background and speaks it fluently even though she was born and raised in B.C. When we arrived at the hotel to check in and, since the rest of us didn't speak French Lucy decided she'd take it upon herself to help us check in. That was the start of our horrible experience!

Lucy explained to the desk clerk(s) that we had reservations, who we were and that we were there to check in. OMG, at first we weren't sure what was going on - did they lose our reservations? What was the problem? Turns out they insisted they didn't understand a word of what Lucy was saying apparently. You have to imagine this - Lucy was 90 lbs soaking wet and she was so irate - I'm sure she was jumping 3 feet off the ground she was so mad. She said that over the time her and Dan had been in Ontario, she had met lots of Francophones from Quebec and had never encountered any communication issues.

We finally got to our rooms and went out for drinks a short time later and again, Lucy did the "ordering". Since it was late we didn't stay long and went back to the hotel.

The next day we leave the hotel for the "Big O". Was quite impressed with how big it was - didn't realize at the time what a "white elephant" it actually was. Got some "beverages" and went to our seats. We were there well before game time.

Just before the game was to start, I thought I should go to the ladies room so I wouldn't have to leave during the game. Of course, the stadium is HUGE and trying to fine the washrooms proved to be a little intimidating. So I went to one of the kiosks to ask if someone could point me to the direction of the washrooms. The guy sitting behind the counter was reading a newspaper and simply ignored me. So I asked in a louder voice, excuse me can you point to where the washrooms are? Still nothing. So I said, excuse moi, o et le toilet (told you my French sucks!) Still nothing. I was so upset, I grabbed his news paper and pulled it down and stated again, in French where the washrooms were and he very reluctantly pointed in the direction.

When I got back to my seat I told my seatmates what had happened and Lucy said that she had never encountered such ignorant people in her life.

That was our first experience. The second went pretty much the same way. We went down east before being transferred back to Alberta because Ontario was the farthest east I had ever been. I wanted to visit the Maritimes. One of the best experiences ever btw. On the way there, we went through the states and on the way back we went through N. Quebec and Quebec City. Simply stopping for gas in Quebec was an ordeal; I would have loved to stop in Quebec City simply to see some of the history but my husband was adamant that we not stop because he was sick and tired of the arrogance and ignorance of the people we had encountered in our visits thus far, so we didn't stop.

I don't know if our experiences were exceptions; I have spoken to people who have said their experiences were good, but I'm telling you that I'd be hard pressed to go back there based on the two times I was there. Having said that, maybe times have changed as this happened in the '80's....

Give me the Maritimes any time!!

JMO

Wise
It can be frustrating to hear language that you don't understand. Some people could hate it. It reminds me of how school teachers say, "don't speak foreign languages in class, it is disrespectful to other people." Some would think everybody speaks the official languages of a country, but certainly not. In Ontario so many people don't speak French and don't care at all about French language.

Considering that in history wars were fought between France and England, it is not surprising that some could hate Quebec. What used to be called "New France" even has law courts that are based on French court system. Probably there are requirements to pass French language to join many of the clubs of Quebec.

Not knowing French language is like walking through a neighbourhood with signs written entirely in Chinese.

MHz
+1
I'm pretty sure that was why the separation vote was only voted on only in that Province.

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by Wise View Post

It can be frustrating to hear language that you don't understand. Some people could hate it. It reminds me of how school teachers say, "don't speak foreign languages in class, it is disrespectful to other people." Some would think everybody speaks the official languages of a country, but certainly not. In Ontario so many people don't speak French and don't care at all about French language.

Considering that in history wars were fought between France and England, it is not surprising that some could hate Quebec. What used to be called "New France" even has law courts that are based on French court system. Probably there are requirements to pass French language to join many of the clubs of Quebec.

Not knowing French language is like walking through a neighbourhood with signs written entirely in Chinese.

What a STUPID NOT SO WISE............. ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Did you not register on what she was saying at all???????????????????????

Some in the GROUP DID SPEAK FRENCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

And were simply IGNORED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

They MARKED themselves by coming from out west to register at the hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

And marked themselves further by demonstrating a preference for speaking English!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All this stuff is a fine example of LIE-beral political poison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what happens when you start playing one group off against another in exchange for votes as LIE-berals have done so very often!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The same slimy LIE-beral policies are encouraging natives and blacks to assume that very same "we are entitled because we are victims" style political GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIE-berals have created a PERFECT POLITICAL STORM of massive debts and huge entitlements and it is creating huge regional tensions that selfish LIE-berals seek to exploit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by Wise View Post

It can be frustrating to hear language that you don't understand.

no seas puto

Wise
The part I said about not understanding French was about her saying the following.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie Cup View Post

since the rest of us didn't speak French

and

Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie Cup View Post

So I said, excuse moi, o et le toilet (told you my French sucks!)

MHz
If you cannot use a free translation service you should sign over legal signing authority to your gold fish.

If you are 'connected' the app you are using will have voice playback also if you can't read. Your reply is voice also.

From the far north to Ottawa the voice of an Elder would be recorded and a written transcript would be created and played back to him for verification that is what he said. That 'text' is translated into whatever language is need by a 'worker in Ottawa' and his reply uses the same translation method so the reply is played back to the Elder in his native language.

24 hours would be more than enough time for a reply and 'real-time' would be the preferred time for the Elder.

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

If you cannot use a free translation service you should sign over legal signing authority to your gold fish.

If you are 'connected' the app you are using will have voice playback also if you can't read. Your reply is voice also.

From the far north to Ottawa the voice of an Elder would be recorded and a written transcript would be created and played back to him for verification that is what he said. That 'text' is translated into whatever language is need by a 'worker in Ottawa' and his reply uses the same translation method so the reply is played back to the Elder in his native language.

24 hours would be more than enough time for a reply and 'real-time' would be the preferred time for the Elder.

Poor silly MHz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He has not noticed that 99.9 percent of the posts here are in English!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the exception of some German crap from Theend and some of what looks like Vietnamese from some other LIE-beral loving goof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of us have jobs and responsibilities and cannot screw around all day with translations of comments from people who we know will be saying stupid stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

TalkingTogheter
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

I'm pretty sure that was why the separation vote was only voted on only in that Province.

Also a fun scientific discovery.

Curious Cdn

And here, I thought it was Alberta ...

DaSleeper
You meet good people and assholes everywhere
It's funny that it's only the assholes we remember
In french trous de culs

taxslave
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

And here, I thought it was Alberta ...

The only ones that hate Alberta are in Onrariowe and Quebec. With a few radical left with penis envy in BC.

JLM
+1 / -1
I wonder if it has anything to do with their attitude! It probably wouldn't do them a lot of harm to allow signs in other lingo beside Francois. That's just for starters!

Twin_Moose
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

The only ones that hate Alberta are in Onrariowe and Quebec. With a few radical left with penis envy in BC.

They have no problem taking money from them though, going as far as stealing it by not allowing hydro electric energy being accounted for in transfer payment accounting, Quebec's largest energy export

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by TalkingTogheter View Post

Also a fun scientific discovery.

IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

The separation vote took place only in Quebec because they were the only ones INTERESTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

You are being DUMBER THAN USUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TalkingTogheter
Quote: Originally Posted by spilledthebeer View Post

IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

You are being DUMBER THAN USUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm smarter than religion to be.

Curious Cdn

Ontario, Quebec, the Maritimes and the westernmost part of BC.

That's about 9/10th of us.

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

They have no problem taking money from them though, going as far as stealing it by not allowing hydro electric energy being accounted for in transfer payment accounting, Quebec's largest energy export

Also going to oilberta for a paycheque.

Curious Cdn

Also going to oilberta for a paycheque.

Which way is the money flowing this year?

taxslave
+3

Ontario, Quebec, the Maritimes and the westernmost part of BC.
That's about 9/10th of us.

I live about as far west as you can get and nobody around here hates Alberta that I know of. Or if they do they are smart enough to keep their traps shut since lots of people here work in Alberta. The extreme left that is ruining BC do hate Alberta.

taxslave
+1

Which way is the money flowing this year?

From west to east as usual.

Curious Cdn

From west to east as usual.

You're sure of that?

Twin_Moose
Transfer payments only run West as far as Manitoba.

taxslave

You're sure of that?

BC is paying, that means money is flowing west to east. As usual.

Hoid
The money comes from Ottawa

Twin_Moose
Oh do they have a magic pot to draw the money from?

Hoid
transfer payments come from Ottawa

look it up

Twin_Moose
After collecting the surplus and appropriate monies from the provinces

JLM
+2 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

The money comes from Ottawa

The only money Ottawa generates is through theft!