The new drinking and driving law

Johnnny
+2
People aren't mad that we are getting harder about shutting down drinking and driving, people are mad with this 2 hour rule because now you actually treat everyone guilty until proven innocent.

Which means for the cop, the sky is the limit.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

People aren't mad that we are getting harder about shutting down drinking and driving, people are mad with this 2 hour rule because now you actually treat everyone guilty until proven innocent.

Which means for the cop, the sky is the limit.

It won't stand up. You can come home and have a drink and then be tested. This has to be against your rights and freedoms. True-dope is an idiot.

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

It won't stand up. You can come home and have a drink and then be tested. This has to be against your rights and freedoms. True-dope is an idiot.

Itís one of the great ways Canada blows through money . We contribute to MADD and help support their efforts to lobby government and those efforts lead to laws like these . Without government support MADD and other similar groups couldnít afford to operate .

Hoof Hearted
What is the 2 hour rule? Link please...

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post

What is the 2 hour rule? Link please...

The new law eliminates this defence, by making it illegal to be at or over the alcohol limit within two hours of being behind the wheel.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4769690/c...-driving-laws/

Kreskin
+5
#6  Top Rated Post
I haven't had anything to drink in months. I rarely drink. On New Years eve I stayed home and was asleep by 10pm. At 6:45 am Jan 1st I was up and went out to get a coffee at Tims. I was pulled over by a cop. At first he asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I said no. He claimed I didn't fully stop at a stop sign. He then said that he could smell alcohol. I said I don't know what you smell but it isn't alcohol. He asks me to get out of the car and starts asking a million questions, asking what I did last night, why I was driving around, to explain the alcohol smell ... I finally got pissed off and said to the guy I hadn't had a drink in 6 months and I'm going to get coffee. Then he went on a diatribe about how some people are still intoxicated the next day and that is why he pulled me over. Now I started quizzing him. I said that he told me I got pulled over for running a stop sign, and now his story has changed. I said give me the ticket and I'll see you in court. Then is attitude changed and instead of giving me a ticket he gave me some McDonald's coffee vouchers.

Jinentonix
+2
The ONLY reason Groper is trying to get away with this new law is he's hoping it'll be a precursor for a gun grab.

Of course, there's nothing to prevent people from answering the door two hours after arriving home.

Hoof Hearted
+1
The Police are everywhere in the town I live in. Just in the past year or so...

Pulled over for the tints on my car windows. (warning)

Seatbelt infraction. (reduced to failure to produce license/ no points loss)

Speeding. Doing 70k in a 50k zone. (reduced/ no points loss)

Pulled over for faded plate. (warning)

I'm 52 years old, but with my ballcap I look younger. I also drive a fairly sporty car which is why I feel I keep getting pulled over by the Cops. But because in each case I was polite and reasonable with the Officer, I never lost any points.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+3
MADD Canada started this infringement on human rights and skirting the law when they managed to get the government to introduce the .05 to .08 suspension rules. If you blow between .05 and .08 you will lose your license for 30 days and your vehicle will be impounded and in Ontario, they call your insurance company. There is no recourse to this action. You can't challenge it in a court of of law. And, ironically, it's not illegal to have a blood alcohol between .05 and .08. Blood alcohol of .08 is still the threshold for charges.

Now the government stuck this new overreaching legislation (two hour rule) into Bill C-46 and figured no one would notice. The problem is that no politician wants to look soft on DUI, so they're allowing themselves to be manipulated by a lobby group. Sort of the same way the US government is manipulated by the NRA.

I hope that Canadians don't roll over for this. It is an infringement on our rights and the ramifications has the potential to ruin peoples lives and gives authority figures the power to walk on fundamental rights and freedoms.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

I haven't had anything to drink in months. I rarely drink. On New Years eve I stayed home and was asleep by 10pm. At 6:45 am Jan 1st I was up and went out to get a coffee at Tims. I was pulled over by a cop. At first he asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I said no. He claimed I didn't fully stop at a stop sign. He then said that he could smell alcohol. I said I don't know what you smell but it isn't alcohol. He asks me to get out of the car and starts asking a million questions, asking what I did last night, why I was driving around, to explain the alcohol smell ... I finally got pissed off and said to the guy I hadn't had a drink in 6 months and I'm going to get coffee. Then he went on a diatribe about how some people are still intoxicated the next day and that is why he pulled me over. Now I started quizzing him. I said that he told me I got pulled over for running a stop sign, and now his story has changed. I said give me the ticket and I'll see you in court. Then is attitude changed and instead of giving me a ticket he gave me some McDonald's coffee vouchers.

Case in point. This cop was testing the waters.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

MADD Canada started this infringement on human rights and skirting the law when they managed to get the government to introduce the .05 to .08 suspension rules. If you blow between .05 and .08 you will lose your license for 30 days and your vehicle will be impounded and in Ontario, they call your insurance company. There is no recourse to this action. You can't challenge it in a court of of law. And, ironically, it's not illegal to have a blood alcohol between .05 and .08. Blood alcohol of .08 is still the threshold for charges.
Now the government stuck this new overreaching legislation (two hour rule) into Bill C-46 and figured no one would notice. The problem is that no politician wants to look soft on DUI, so they're allowing themselves to be manipulated by a lobby group. Sort of the same way the US government is manipulated by the NRA.
I hope that Canadians don't roll over for this. It is an infringement on our rights and the ramifications has the potential to ruin peoples lives and gives authority figures the power to walk on fundamental rights and freedoms.

MADD is a front for the Teamsters. More and more taxi and ride share drivers or going Union.

In Edmonton as example Yellow Cab, Barrel Taxi, Checker and Prestige Cabs and ride share Tapp are Teamsters Local 897.

Twin_Moose
+3
The law is going to far, what's next no texting for 2 hours after getting out of a vehicle because of distracted driving?

Johnnny
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Of course, there's nothing to prevent people from answering the door two hours after arriving home.

So say that actually happens, what happens if you don't answer the door after about 15 minutes.

Johnnny
+2

That's why I created this thread. And the responses are what I expected.

Word is that they are making plans to teach all cops how to goose step while holding their right arm straight out at 45 degrees.

petros
+2
Dumb asses who claimed Govt orchestrated 9-11 to take away Rights and freedoms sold their souls to pay double what they did for weed a year ago,cops able to ID you without cause and warrantless searches is 10X the freedoms given up for safety in 2001.

Legal weed was Canada's 9-11 if that's the case.

Mowich
+3
I just bet our former so-called justice minister is glad to be out of the line of fire on this one. It was under her watch that the bill was brought in and her attempts to rationalize the 2-hour rule when questioned were nothing but leftist liberal talking points - not one single logical answer as the legality of hunting down people hours later. The new justice minister - some total unknown MP David Lametti a former parliamentary secretary is now in charge of the file. Considering his surprising elevation to the post and being a former law professor at that left-leaning uni McGill, I doubt that anything but court challenges will finally overturn this egregious attack on Canadian's rights and freedoms.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

I doubt that anything but court challenges will finally overturn this egregious attack on Canadian's rights and freedoms.

If Canadians as a whole just don't roll over and accept that another right has been chipped away at.

We can be sheep.

Mowich
+2

If Canadians as a whole just don't roll over and accept that another right has been chipped away at.

We can be sheep.

We can also be rams, RCS and it's past time that right-minded Canadians started standing up against the short-sighted, self-entitled twits that currently run our government. The next election must result in a Conservative government.

Mowich

We can be sheep.

Oops - double post.

petros
+2

We can also be rams, RCS and it's past time that right-minded Canadians started standing up against the short-sighted, self-entitled twits that currently run our government. The next election must result in a Conservative government.

How the Hell do you get a Leftie to think rationally?

It's like the difference between a dog and a cat.

A dog can be easily trained and actually enjoys working for a living, giving unconditional love and will give its life to protect you.

A cat is only interested in being lazy and getting a free lunch, using you to stay warm and to stimulate them erotically. You call a cat to come to you all you want but if it doesn't feel like it, forget it.

If you shake a baggy they come running as fast as they can.
Last edited by petros; 3 weeks ago at 04:59 PM..

Mowich
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

How the Hell do you get a Leftie to think rationally?

It's like the difference between a dog and a cat.

A dog can be easily trained and actually enjoys working for a living, giving unconditional love and will give its life to protect you.

A cat is only interested in being lazy and getting a free lunch, using you to stay warm and to stimulate them erotically. You call a cat to come to you all you want but if it doesn't feel like it, forget it.

The thing about lefties is they travel in groups as they constantly need reaffirmations from their buds that their feelings entitle them to think and act like total twits and that logic has no basis in their reality. In order to alter an adherent's political beliefs it would mean separating them from the pack and subjecting them to certain kinds of rendition.

White_Unifier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Are you referring there to how the average voter respond's to a politician's promises?

gotta love democracy.

pgs
+2

The thing about lefties is they travel in groups as they constantly need reaffirmations from their buds that their feelings entitle them to think and act like total twits and that logic has no basis in their reality. In order to alter an adherent's political beliefs it would mean separating them from the pack and subjecting them to certain kinds of rendition.

A job helps , if piece work is involved all the better .

Hoof Hearted
+2
"A cat is only interested in being lazy and getting a free lunch, using you to stay warm and to stimulate them erotically."

- petros

That is so wrong...on sooo many levels!

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Are you referring there to how the average voter respond's to a politician's promises?
gotta love democracy.

A baggy of weed.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

gotta love democracy.

There is something wrong with the program when a Dictator tells the people the facts better than the elected governments.

Dixie Cup
+2
It will likely take someone with deep pockets to challenge this law as the cost will be quite substantial. I personally don't know of anyone that could afford to challenge it; hopefully there'll be someone out there who is able to do so.

JMHO

MHz
Time to open a virtual bar where you stay home and use the big screen to see what is happening at all the different 'tables'. Uber rates for the ones that want to tag up.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

The new law eliminates this defence, by making it illegal to be at or over the alcohol limit within two hours of being behind the wheel.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4769690/c...-driving-laws/

Sounds like one of WU's dumbass notions to outlaw sex.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Sounds like one of WU's dumbass notions to outlaw sex.

Quote me!