Ottawa says Ontario's call to drop retaliatory tariffs would mean 'surrender'

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Like I said, we don't solve that with tariffs but with enforcing higher standards. Tariffs imply that we have no problem with the standard but just want to raise their prices against ours. If the concern really was the quality, then we'd ban it outright, not slap a tariff on it.

Would you suggest fines against importers?

petros
+2

I'll take Kinder Surprise as an example. The US doesn't impose any tariff on it. Why you ask? Because it doesn't meet US safety standards as the little toy inside could choke a child. Instead, they just ban it outright, and rightly so.

Just like autoparts made with steel that kills, Kinder Surprise can be bought on eBay.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Would you suggest fines against importers?

If they don't meet our safety standards, yes, but that's not the same as tariffs. And if they do meet our standards, then there's no reason to impose tariffs on them.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

you missed the part where Canadian steel (for instance) became more expensive for Americans to buy.

the countervailing tariffs make US steel the same price as Canadian steel therefore evening the playing again.

without the countervailing tariff everyone would just buy the cheaper us steel.

this is purely a cash exchange that will have no bearing on the actual market realities of steel or other metals.

Wow. I find myself in agreement with Hoid. Why would we lift tarrifs on US imports when our exports are being penalized? It is our tarrifs on US steel that are the bullet that the US shot themselves with.

petros
+1

If they don't meet our safety standards, yes, but that's not the same as tariffs. And if they do meet our standards, then there's no reason to impose tariffs on them.

That's what a tarrif is. A fine.

White_Unifier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

That's what a tarrif is. A fine.

Er... no, a tarif is a tax. A fine is applied when the rule is broken. A tariff is something you pay within the rules as a tax. Just like the GST or your income tax aren't a fine.

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Wow. I find myself in agreement with Hoid. Why would we lift tarrifs on US imports when our exports are being penalized? It is our tarrifs on US steel that are the bullet that the US shot themselves with.

Without our deflated dollar to benefit ON there wouldn't be tarrifs on Canadian steel or foreign shit steel from abroad funneled through Canada.

petros
+1

Er... no, a tarif is a tax. A fine is applied when the rule is broken. A tariff is something you pay within the rules as a tax. Just like the GST or your income tax aren't a fine.

Without a WTO ruling a tarrif is a fine defined by CITT enforced by CBSA for importing shit. If you don't import the shit you don't pay the tarrif/fine.

It's not a crime to park in a no parking zone but you will get dinged with a bylaw fine.

MHz
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Glad when we can get rid of that thong wearing closet faggot PM we have.

Bibi does look like he is on the ropes all right. You have to be pretty bad to lose to a General. Maybe the wife will be his cell-mate.

B00Mer

How do you know he wears a thong and how do you know he's secretly homoesexual. Do you know something we don't?

Yeah I pucked him in the ass at a frat party.. I beat you to it

Danbones

He sure looks surprised.

I bet he is thinking of a sNOw ball warming tax now.

PS nice av boomer, it tells us where canada is, and why as well.

say...

Marx and Lenin, Castro's idols, were Jewish too weren't they?
Last edited by Danbones; Feb 6th, 2019 at 05:55 AM..

Hoid
I don't think any of those people identified themselves as jewish.

taxslave
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by hoid View Post

i don't think

fify