Ban on body armour proposed by NDP MLA

Ron in Regina
Ban on body armour proposed by NDP MLA
Last Updated: Friday, January 23, 2009 | 7:26 AM PT
Source: Ban on body armour proposed by NDP MLA

New Democrat MLA Mike Farnworth plans to introduce a private member's bill in February that regulates and restricts the wearing of Kevlar body armour.

"Gangsters and thugs shouldn't be wearing body armour; police should," said Farnworth, the MLA for Port Coquitlam Burke-Mountain in a statement released on Thursday.

Farnworth's proposal comes days after a brazen daytime shooting in Abbotsford shocked Fraser Valley residents.

In that incident a gunman in a passing car shot at a well-known gang member who was wearing body armour, according to police.

"Gangland violence has become more common in the Lower Mainland, and it is outrageous that offenders have the same amount of protection as the officers trying to put an end to it," he said.

But B.C. Solicitor General John van Dongen says gangsters who ignore gun laws aren't any more likely to obey body armour laws.

Van Dongen said the province needs solutions that help police and the Crown get convictions and accuses Farnworth of political grandstanding.
body armour have been shot at whether he was wearing the body armour or
not anyway? The guy doing the SHOOTING was the danger to the public....

VanIsle
Just how does anyone think they could regulate this? A stupid comment made in the heat of the moment I guess.

MissAnnika
but body armor protects you from all the crazies out there

dj03
The answer isn't to ban body armour but rather to restrict the use of body armour as a bail condition, as part of a peace bond or as part of your parole if you have been charged with a crime linking you to organized crime.

If you're caught wearing it...back to jail you go.

Colpy
Does anybody need any more evidence that the NDP are idiots?

Body armour is completely passive, it harms no one.....I'm not sure the gov't has any place banning it.....even if such a ban would make any difference whatsoever.....you don't stop crime by banning guns or armour, you stop crime by creating respect for the law...you do that by banning criminals by putting them in jail for long periods of time.

taxslave
I bet that law will be obeyed as well as the one restricting hand guns. What about wearing body armor when riding a motorcycle?
Just think of the bureaucracy that could be set up to enforce this law. Thousands of government jobs created.
Basically a stupid comment by a dipper looking to get his name in the news.

Scott Free
The real issue: it's too hard to die by cop if your wearing Kevlar.

How can you say a "criminal" wanted to die if he was wearing body armour - it's messy and would mean a whole lot more paper work. Things are easier if "criminals" die by cop because they waned to. A truism made more believable if they aren't wearing armour.

Ron in Regina
Police Officers wear body armour. "Occupational Health & Safety" should make
it a safety issue that employers should provide body armour (initially optional at
the employee's discretion....then compare and evaluate results over time) for
dangerous occupations like taxi drivers, security guards, & 7-11 employee's.

Praxius
See and it's examples such as these that make me not a fan of any party because none of them represent all of my interests..... sure I voted NDP and sure this is a stupid idea...... but it's no more worse then half the other things other parties propose..... ie: Green Shaft.

I'd rather fight stupid ideas then being nickel and dimed every few seconds.

Scott Free
I remember there was a report issued by a graduate student at UBC which said that all police shootings (which resulted in death) between the 80's and 90's were all death by cop i.e., suicide. I remembered at the time thinking what absurd rubbish that was but the media loved the idea; that for a solid ten years police had only shot and killed people that wanted to be shot and killed! Words fail to express what incredibly stupid a premise that is - what a lot of $h!t it is!

This is the problem IMO: Lawyers know the average education of a juror is grade 8. It would seem that is the average among all adults right across Canada. This doesn't mean people don't have better educations than that, but that if left alone, over time, our educations diminish to that level. So basically we are a nation of ignorant dumb @sses and the violent gestapo take advantage of that fact.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Police Officers wear body armour. "Occupational Health & Safety" should make
it a safety issue that employers should provide body armour (initially optional at
the employee's discretion....then compare and evaluate results over time) for
dangerous occupations like taxi drivers, security guards, & 7-11 employee's.

...and brown delivery dudes in Vancouver.

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

...and brown delivery dudes in Vancouver.

Hey! He's not technically brown, unless he can identify the person that
told him that he was brown...but yeah, I can see a need for body armour
as an occupational safety item as "he" was on the job when he was injured.

missile
If someone feels safer wearing Kevlar,let them. Just aim for the face when firing on them.

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by missile View Post

If someone feels safer wearing Kevlar,let them. Just aim for the face when firing on them.

2 centre mass, 1 in the head. It is called the "body armour drill" and is standard training procedure. If the 2 in the chest don't knock him down, chances are he is wearing armour......and is a tough guy.

Ron in Regina
Can anyone imagine the difficulty in even recognizing body armour, let along enforcing
legislation against it??? For example:

Disguised Ballistic Wear - Denim Jacket Bullet-Proof
Threat Level IIIA

This is a regular Levi Strauss type denim jacket with a level IIIA bullet-proof lining
cleverly sewn into the inside. Perfect for casual wear this jacket offers all round
protection against everything up to, and including, .44 magnum.

OR:

Disguised Ballistic Wear - Denim Jacket Bullet-Proof
Threat Level IIIA

This is a regular Levi Strauss type denim jacket with a level IIIA bullet-proof lining
cleverly sewn into the inside. Perfect for casual wear this jacket offers all round
protection against everything up to, and including, .44 magnum.

Black Weatherproof disguised Bullet/Stab-proof jacket
[PDLBLACJAC]
This is, without doubt, the best disguised bullet/stab-proof jacket we have
ever come across. You won't find it anywhere else and you will never find a
protective jacket as smart as this one. The protection levels it offers are
quite unheard of in such a light (3 kgs) and discreet jacket.

This jacket offers a protection level to NIJ STD 0101.04 level 111A
The armour protects against 9mm Full Metal Jacket Round Nose (FMJRN)
projectiles, with a weight of 8gm (124gr) at 430 m/s. Full Metal Jacket Round
Nose (FMJRN) type DM11A1B2 (DN or MEN) projectiles with a weight of 8gm
(124gr) at 415m/s. 44 Magnum jacketed Soft Point (JSP) type Norma
11103/61103 projectiles with a weight of 15.6gm (158gr) at 390 m/s. 44
Magnum Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP) projectiles with a weight of 15.6gm
(240gr) at 430 m/s. Eastern European Tokarev LC 7.62 x 25mm steel core
projectile with a weight of 5.5gm at 455 m/s.

This jacket also protects against stabs, cuts, slashes with sharp and blunt
edged weapons like hypodermic needles, ice picks, knives and broken bottles
up to 33 Joules.

This is a mans outdoor jacket made of 100% Polyester Canvas with PU-coating
on the reverse. It has a waistband with a pull-chord and velcro fastening at
the sleeve ends. It is supplied with a detachable hood. Available in sizes small
to XXL in Black only.