Nine-month-old baby dies alone in Mtl. hospital

Praxius
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...228?hub=Canada

Quote:

MONTREAL -- After more than a week of clinging to life, the city's youngest homicide victim of 2008 died alone in a Montreal hospital.

Now the hunt is on for the nine-month-old boy's mother and her boyfriend, who haven't been heard from in nearly a week. Police have issued arrest warrants for the tot's 19-year-old mother, Flotvelyne Jean-Louis, and her boyfriend Casy Pierre Mesidor, 26.

Both face murder charges, police say.

The American-born infant is believed to have perished after being violently shaken.

Montreal lawyer Frank Pappas met with the couple on several recent occasions. They were accompanied at one point by a local pastor.

"They were two refugees without any means to retain a lawyer," Pappas said.

The couple needed advice about "an extensive interrogation by police after they brought their child to the Montreal Children's Hospital," he said.

Pappas says he last heard from the pair last Friday evening.

The lawyer says he received a call from the hospital on Sunday imploring him to get a message to the boy's mother that things looked bleak for the tot.

But no one could find her or her boyfriend, Pappas said.

"They seemed pretty agitated, it was a pretty distressing situation," Pappas said of his last encounter with the couple.

The baby died Tuesday evening.

Const. Lynne Labelle, a Montreal police spokeswoman, said the couple lived in Canada since last October, arriving via the United States.

While both adults have Haitian citizenship, it appears neither adult has any status in Canada or the United States. The baby has American citizenship.

"We know they've been here since last October but we don't know why they are here," Labelle said. "We also don't know why they were in the United States."

Ambulance technicians found the baby boy unconscious and in cardiac arrest when they were called to the family's suburban Montreal apartment on Feb. 16.

The boy had suffered multiple fractures, bruising and bleeding in the brain. He spent 10 days in intensive care.

The head trauma triggered by shaken baby syndrome can cause brain damage, paralysis and death.

Grab yer pitch forks and torches, cuz it's a good ol fashion mob scene..... unfortunatly I haven't seen any pictures of the two yet.... but now you know.

Brat
Some people just shouldn't be allowed to breed.

karrie
Snapping and hurting your children happens along a wide range of ages, educational, and socioeconomic backgrounds. It's scary how 'normal' it is for this to happen. Since reading it I've been mulling over the pain, exhaustion, and frustration of the moms who were in a social services course with me, on ways to prevent this sort of thing. There would have been no way to scan that room, and pick out which exhausted mother would be the one to snap and injure her child severely. It was a huge fear for many of the women in there, and when honest conversation got flowing, even the social services workers were FLOORED by how many women admitted to feeling close to that line, or felt they had already crossed it in some way.

While our gut reaction is 'they should be shot', 'they shouldn't be allowed to have kids', 'chase them down and string them up'.... sometimes they're not much different than the mom living next door to you. They just may not have had the benefit of a support system, counseling. They just weren't as lucky.

Or maybe they're just malicious pricks who did it on purpose.

*sigh*

lone wolf
There are any number of triggers to drive an (supposed) adult to the breaking point. Not one of them can be justified....

Woof!

Praxius
Regardless what was going on in their minds (Or wasn't) they alone are responsible for their own actions, and not even bothering to show up or attend to the child in the hospital prior to it dieing alone to me is unaceptable. Or at the very least turning themselves in after hearing about this and accepting what is to come their way.

The difference between the people you mentioned above looking for help and these people who acted on their thoughts..... is that those people you spoke of actually decided to seek help before this occured. They were at least aware of the problem which may occur. I know it can be a common problem with parents in the early years due to constant crying and screaming, pooping their pants like they're living off green beans, etc. but who doesn't know there are groups and help out there for these sort of things?

Perhaps those who grew up in families where physical punishment is common practice, however they were ignorant of the sensitivity of an infant to that form of punishment.

But don't forget that ignorance is not an excuse from law. They broke the law, they literally killed their child for whatever reason, when they should have seeked help when things became a problem.... the baby died alone in the hospital from the abuse recieved from their parents..... and now authorities have not heard back from the parents since.

Call me someone who's old fashion with his own tough love, but these two do not diserve any level of mercy or forgiveness at this stage and should seek the full punishment of the law in this case.

Sorry, I am sure there are all kinds of mental conditions which can explain why someone would do this and therefore they are not directly responsible.... but I for one and sick and damn tired of hearing someone blowing their cool, freaking out, doing something that then harms another living being and then getting let off easy because they "Have a mental illness."

Everything in life is a mental illness, and too many people have been taking the get out of jail free card for too long. The mental illness card is about as much of a sham as the youth justice system.

*points finger generally*

You all be glad I'm not a judge!

CASTRATION!! *whack*

DOUBLE CASTRATION!!!!!

(quote from what movie?)

karrie
Yeah, I can see where you'd read it as me trying to excuse them... that wasn't my intent, so much as to raise awareness that open and honest discussion and support is essential for any parent.

Moms don't want to come forward about this stuff Praxius. Getting those moms to that support group required a lot of finessing. Basically, we had to all go as a group so that none of the moms felt obvious or stigmatized for seeking information and help.

tracy
We know how common those feelings are. We're required to teach parents about shaken baby syndrome when they are discharged and strategies to avoid it. The reason I can't find any sympathy for people who actually do it is that it's so easy to put a child down and walk away rather than shake them.

#juan
I could forgive a smack on the bottom of an unruly five year old, but nothing, I repeat; nothing, can justify inflicting pain or injury on a nine month old baby. I once watched a lady in the check out line at the grocery store with a screaming four or five year old who was upset because he didn't get the candy he wanted. The kid was throwing an absolute bloody tantrum; he ended up pushing over a five foot high can pyramid display that probably took somebody half an hour to stack up. That kid didn't even get a smack on the ass although everyone in the line-up probably would have cheered if he had. That lady had a lot more patience than I would have had.

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Yeah, I can see where you'd read it as me trying to excuse them... that wasn't my intent, so much as to raise awareness that open and honest discussion and support is essential for any parent.

Moms don't want to come forward about this stuff Praxius. Getting those moms to that support group required a lot of finessing. Basically, we had to all go as a group so that none of the moms felt obvious or stigmatized for seeking information and help.

Fair enough... I noticed you have a Devil's Advocate method about you in some posts (I believe that'd be a compliment, lol) so I caught onto the awareness part..... but as in my own D.Advocate-ways, I also wanted to make people aware of the idiots out there who just don't think.

Not enough evidence to determine in this situation yet what these parents are..... but it's not looking good. Which is why I called for the Mob Scene and hunt them down and..... well.... take them to the police department to face charges.

What you thought I meant to burn and stab them with the pitch forks and torches? Naw.... that's just to see better and night, and the pitch forks are for to times when you get attacked by those evil bails of hay. You never know.

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

I could forgive a smack on the bottom of an unruly five year old, but nothing, I repeat; nothing, can justify inflicting pain or injury on a nine month old baby. I once watched a lady in the check out line at the grocery store with a screaming four or five year old who was upset because he didn't get the candy he wanted. The kid was throwing an absolute bloody tantrum; he ended up pushing over a five foot high can pyramid display that probably took somebody half an hour to stack up. That kid didn't even get a smack on the ass although everyone in the line-up probably would have cheered if he had. That lady had a lot more patience than I would have had.

See what get's me about that story, is who the hell makes canned pyramids anymore? They're tacky, take way too much time to setup, and they're easy to make a mess like above and then you gotta get another kid on minimum wage to go and fix it again. They're just not practical.

Canned Pyramids are a perfect sign of a Store Manager with too much time on his hands and went power hungry.

But yeah, the kid would have been smacked with a newspaper, or Britney Spear's cooch on a nearby mag if it was me.
Last edited by Praxius; Feb 29th, 2008 at 03:21 PM..

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

See what get's me about that story, is who the hell makes canned pyramids anymore? They're tacky, take way too much time to setup, and they're easy to make a mess like above and then you gotta get another kid on minimum wage to go and fix it again. They're just not practical.

Canned Pyramids are a perfect sign of a Store Manager with too much time on his hand and went power hungry.

But yeah, the kid would have been smacked with a newspaper, or Britney Spear's cooch on a nearby mag if it was me.

LOL... that made me raise an eyebrow too. No store I know of makes them... too many damaged cans. lol.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

LOL... that made me raise an eyebrow too. No store I know of makes them... too many damaged cans. lol.

I've dated myself again. That story is probably twenty years old...............and you are right, very few stores do that anymore.........sorry........lost my head.......

Praxius
lol, na ya didn't..... you just forgot to add a timeline. Although I have to admit I have seen similar displays with the 12 packs of pop, but I don't see a kid trying to knock that down anytime soon. Not unless they're wanting to be injured.