Woman accused of exposing herself to 13-year-old


sanctus
#1
A 33-year-old woman has been jailed on allegations she exposed herself to her 13-year-old neighbor and made him touch her, police said.
Michelle Seddon, unemployed and disabled, was booked into the Washoe County Jail on Thursday on suspicion of lewdness with a child, authorities said.
According to a police report, the charge stems from incidents in March that occurred in her Booth Street apartment where she lived with her girlfriend.
Her upstairs neighbor, a 13-year-old middle school student, told police that he had visited Seddon at her apartment one day where she stripped and asked him to touch her, the report said. Her girlfriend was not home.
Police became involved after the boy told his mother, who called officers.
According to court records, Seddon's girlfriend in 2002 filed a restraining order against her after Seddon was arrested for battering her.
On at least one occasion, the boy and his friend had spent the night at the women's apartment where the friend later reported Seddon inappropriately touching the boy while he slept, police said.
 
Kreskin
#2
Was the boy compaining or bragging?
 
Josephine
#3
He was 13...a child, she should be in jail.
 
Zzarchov
#4
To be fair, did this really happen...

or was the 13 year old boy "bragging" to his friends how he fooled around with the two lesbians in the neighbourhood, a parent overhead and went awol. 30 seconds earlier and the parent may have launched a lawsuit on Angelina Jolie if she believed the words of other boys "bragging".

Seriously, does one not need ANY evidence of ANY form before sending someone to jail? You know, the place they risk a very real danger of rape and contraction of a fatal STD?
 
snfu73
#5
Oh man....when I was 13, I had pretty intense sexual feelings. I think it would have been pretty exciting at that age. Whether she was right or wrong...well...but, child schmild...frick, I remember 13...I remember raging hormones. I remember....oh boy...
 
Josephine
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by snfu73 View Post

Oh man....when I was 13, I had pretty intense sexual feelings. I think it would have been pretty exciting at that age. Whether she was right or wrong...well...but, child schmild...frick, I remember 13...I remember raging hormones. I remember....oh boy...


And that's exactly my point! Of course your hormones were raging...my husband said the same thing...that he would have loved to have been seduced by a sexy teacher. I think that's normal and that's okay. But the teacher is the adult and she/he is the one who should know better. She knew it was illegal and she should accept the consequences.
 
snfu73
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Josephine View Post

And that's exactly my point! Of course your hormones were raging...my husband said the same thing...that he would have loved to have been seduced by a sexy teacher. I think that's normal and that's okay. But the teacher is the adult and she/he is the one who should know better. She knew it was illegal and she should accept the consequences.

My great grandmother had the first of her 20 children at the age of 13...and that was very normal then. What happened between then and now when someone was married and having kids at that age to them being children who cannot comprehend what is happening to them in the year 2007?

I do agree to a point...definitly. The laws were broken. Bad judgement was made. However, speaking ONLY from the perspective of someone who was a 13 year old kid...well...I wouldn't have minded...
 
Josephine
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by snfu73 View Post

My great grandmother had the first of her 20 children at the age of 13...and that was very normal then. What happened between then and now when someone was married and having kids at that age to them being children who cannot comprehend what is happening to them in the year 2007?

I do agree to a point...definitly. The laws were broken. Bad judgement was made. However, speaking ONLY from the perspective of someone who was a 13 year old kid...well...I wouldn't have minded...


I think people become more aware of things as time passes. Although this type of abuse has been happening for centuries, it was more accepted and the norm, as you say, but as a 13 year old child, I don't believe anyone would be truly ready for motherhood. Do you know how old her husband was? It was also pretty common for a man in his 50's to marry a girl in her early to mid-teens. However, through the ages we have learned the reprocussions of this, and have therefore put laws into place.

I can't argue with a 13 year old boy being horny and ready to go.
 
no color
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Josephine View Post

He was 13...a child, she should be in jail.

Concur. We can't and should not tolerate any form of abuse against children.
 
Zzarchov
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by no color View Post

Concur. We can't and should not tolerate any form of abuse against children.


Ya, its nice she's in Jail, based on the words of a hormone raging 13 year old boy, heard second hand.

I mean, as a suspected pedophile, she'll probably get raped. And odd's are get an STD and then probably die, perhaps giving it to her partner before they both die.

And its nice all of this happens without need for a shred of proof. Cause its not like every 13 year old boy lies about nailing their Art Teacher/ English Teacher/ Gym Teacher (im not here to judge)
 
snfu73
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Zzarchov View Post

Ya, its nice she's in Jail, based on the words of a hormone raging 13 year old boy, heard second hand.

I mean, as a suspected pedophile, she'll probably get raped. And odd's are get an STD and then probably die, perhaps giving it to her partner before they both die.

And its nice all of this happens without need for a shred of proof. Cause its not like every 13 year old boy lies about nailing their Art Teacher/ English Teacher/ Gym Teacher (im not here to judge)

I never lied about nailing ANY teacher...I never did...but...ohhhh, that Miss Petrick...grade 11...oh MAN, I wish...
 
snfu73
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by no color View Post

Concur. We can't and should not tolerate any form of abuse against children.

Was it really abuse though??
 
s243a
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by no color View Post

Concur. We can't and should not tolerate any form of abuse against children.


Doesn't abuse imply some harm is done? It is inappropriate and you can put here in jail i guess if it is true. As a minimum if it is true she shouldn't be teaching kids.
 
Josephine
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Zzarchov View Post

Ya, its nice she's in Jail, based on the words of a hormone raging 13 year old boy, heard second hand.

I mean, as a suspected pedophile, she'll probably get raped. And odd's are get an STD and then probably die, perhaps giving it to her partner before they both die.

And its nice all of this happens without need for a shred of proof. Cause its not like every 13 year old boy lies about nailing their Art Teacher/ English Teacher/ Gym Teacher (im not here to judge)


I'm fairly certain that charges can't be laid and a person can't be convicted without proof. I'm sure some boys tell tales about scoring with hot substitute or whatever, but if the cops follow up and find there's nothing to charge them with...they would drop the case.
 
Josephine
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by snfu73 View Post

Was it really abuse though??


Yes.
 
Josephine
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by s243a View Post

Doesn't abuse imply some harm is done? It is inappropriate and you can put here in jail i guess if it is true. As a minimum if it is true she shouldn't be teaching kids.


It's hard to judge what kind of harm. It may not always be physical harm. Emotional, mental abuse goes a long way as well.
He may feel some impact later in life, or he may never.

But I believe these laws are in place for a reason. The fact is she was a teacher...in a position of power. She was older, even past the 5 year age difference given now to the Age of Protection law. She knew what she was doing was illegal and under the law is considered child sexual abuse. She made the choice to break that law...and if she's found guilty, should accept that consequences of her choices.
 
Zzarchov
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Josephine View Post

It's hard to judge what kind of harm. It may not always be physical harm. Emotional, mental abuse goes a long way as well.
He may feel some impact later in life, or he may never.

But I believe these laws are in place for a reason. The fact is she was a teacher...in a position of power. She was older, even past the 5 year age difference given now to the Age of Protection law. She knew what she was doing was illegal and under the law is considered child sexual abuse. She made the choice to break that law...and if she's found guilty, should accept that consequences of her choices.


Did you read the article? She is an unemployed woman who lives below the kid with her girlfriend.

She is in jail, denied freedom because the kid said the girl stripped for him and had him touch her. No proof, no evidence and no motive (she's not even into boys).

She is not a teacher and most certainly not in some position of trust.
 
Josephine
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Zzarchov View Post

Did you read the article? She is an unemployed woman who lives below the kid with her girlfriend.

She is in jail, denied freedom because the kid said the girl stripped for him and had him touch her. No proof, no evidence and no motive (she's not even into boys).

She is not a teacher and most certainly not in some position of trust.


Yeah, I did...sorry...I'm getting this one confused with another thread! My bad!

Although I still don't believe they can just throw someone in jail without having any kind of case.
 
snfu73
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Josephine View Post

Yes.

I don't know...I mean, by the letter of the law it may have been....but...
 
Josephine
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by snfu73 View Post

I don't know...I mean, by the letter of the law it may have been....but...


I understand what you're saying, but I believe that can be a slippery road.

At such a young age, the person is very vulnerable and easily subjected to manipulation...they can be convinced that they were the one who started everything, that they seduced the abuser...if they believe this, the abuser can get away with the abuse.

I know that some youth do make up stories, but I believe that the majority don't.
 
Zzarchov
#21
Then you don't know young boys. We lie through our teeth about sexual conquests. Its either that, or the foreign exchange student who came to our highschool really did sleep with 15 different guys in the first week of her coming to school. Oh, and the art teacher got AROUND. If that is the case then I really missed out in Highschool.
 
Josephine
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Zzarchov View Post

Then you don't know young boys. We lie through our teeth about sexual conquests. Its either that, or the foreign exchange student who came to our highschool really did sleep with 15 different guys in the first week of her coming to school. Oh, and the art teacher got AROUND. If that is the case then I really missed out in Highschool.


(LOL)

But it's better the investigate all allegations and discount the ones that hold no weight, then to ignore them and assume they're all lies.
 
Niflmir
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Josephine View Post

Yeah, I did...sorry...I'm getting this one confused with another thread! My bad!

Although I still don't believe they can just throw someone in jail without having any kind of case.

Well if they have enough evidence to press charges, which is really just a judgement call from the crown attorney, they can arrest you and put you in jail to wait for the trial. If you can afford it, you can place a security with the court (bail) and be released pending the trial, even then there are often stipulations placed upon the person. In many cases all there is is eyewitness testimony, so the situation where a couple of thirteen year old boys get a lesbian thrown in prison on false testimony is entirely possible, especially when said lesbian would be unable to pay the bail.
 
Josephine
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Niflmir View Post

Well if they have enough evidence to press charges, which is really just a judgement call from the crown attorney, they can arrest you and put you in jail to wait for the trial. If you can afford it, you can place a security with the court (bail) and be released pending the trial, even then there are often stipulations placed upon the person. In many cases all there is is eyewitness testimony, so the situation where a couple of thirteen year old boys get a lesbian thrown in prison on false testimony is entirely possible, especially when said lesbian would be unable to pay the bail.


I think that judge needs more to go on than simply one person saying something. There needs to be connecting evidence or circumstances to make a story plausable. Charges can't be laid without said circumstances. If someone down the street from me said I punched them in the face and busted their cheek bone...I wouldn't be charged with anything just from that. Are there marks or scrapes on my hand? Clothes fibers...did I have a motive. Someone can be arrested with extreme minimal evidence, but they can't be charged willy-nilly.
 
Zzarchov
#25
Actually they can be, they shouldn't be, but they can be.
 
Twila
#26
I wonder how much different the story would be if the disabled person in the apartment was a man and the "victim" was a girl...
 
eh1eh
#27
Here's some more evidence he w as raped. I'm not sure even a 13 year old is this horny.



Link
 
Josephine
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Zzarchov View Post

Actually they can be, they shouldn't be, but they can be.


I just think that more is needed. I checked out some websites:

"Investigation and Laying a Charge

When a crime is reported to the police, they do an investigation to determine if there is enough evidence to be able to charge any person with the offence.
Once a criminal charge is laid at the court by the police, the person who is accused of the crime is referred to as the accused or the defendant. The person who reported the crime is referred to as the complainant. Sometimes the complainant is not the same as the victim who suffered injury or harm as a result of the crime.

Although individual citizens have the right to lay a criminal charge, this is unusual as s/he would be personally responsible to collect evidence and to present this private prosecution case in court.
Will the Accused be Arrested?

The police may arrest the accused at the time of the incident or when they inform him/her of the criminal charge, or they may give him/her a summons which is an order to appear in court at a certain time to answer the charge.
Usually the accused person will be released from custody within 24 hours after arrest unless there is sufficient evidence for a judge to determine that releasing him/her would threaten the safety of the victim or others or there is reason to believe that s/he will not turn up for the trial.
Sometimes the accused will be released on an undertaking or recognizance with conditions such as to stay in a particular area, have no contact with the victim or others, or not to use alcohol or firearms. If the accused breaks any of the conditions, s/he can be charged with a breach and may be taken into custody. "
http://www.gov.ns.ca/just/PolVS/CJSB...#investigation

"
In some provinces/territories, the police lay charges, in others, the Crown prosecutor does. In other situations, the police will consult with the Crown prosecutor and the complainant.

Criminal charges are laid when:
  • the police have talked to the Complainant/victim
  • there is enough evidence to show that a crime was committed
  • the police are able to determine who is responsible for the crime
  • the police have spoken to the Crown prosecutor
While there are guidelines to follow when deciding to charge a person with a criminal offence, some flexibility or choice still exists. For example, the police may decide not to lay a charge if the victim does not want to pursue the matter.

In crimes such as child abuse and domestic violence, the police have specific guidelines to lay charges.

Where there is enough evidence and a decision is made to charge the person responsible, the person is now an accused and is taken before the courts."

http://www.courtprep.ca/en/justiceProcess/arrest.asp

I just find it hard to believe that absolutely nothing would be required to lay charges.
 
Zzarchov
#29
They have a witness, if thats what they believe they need, they may arrest her on that and try and get a plea.
 
Niflmir
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by Josephine View Post

I think that judge needs more to go on than simply one person saying something. There needs to be connecting evidence or circumstances to make a story plausable. Charges can't be laid without said circumstances. If someone down the street from me said I punched them in the face and busted their cheek bone...I wouldn't be charged with anything just from that. Are there marks or scrapes on my hand? Clothes fibers...did I have a motive. Someone can be arrested with extreme minimal evidence, but they can't be charged willy-nilly.

Well, sure. That is what I was saying. The amount of evidence needed differs on a case by case basis though. In the case of child molestation, probably the testimony of two children would be enough. We have methods in place to make certain that the amount of innocent people harmed by false accusations is minimized. I don't know the exact details of this case, but presumably they were followed. Because people view child molestation so seriously, the burden of proof was probably relaxed a little. In any case, on a balance of probabilities, with the little information I have I would say they were probably justified in their arrest. Whether the woman is guilty or not remains to be seen.

I think the point that needs to be stressed is that even though the accused is (generally) presumed to be innocent, that a danger exists in allowing them to be free if they are guilty is enough to keep them in custody or place them with a surety. Although that may be an infringement of your charter rights, it is entirely justified in a free and democratic society.
 

Similar Threads

8
Woman accused over sherry enema death
by Col Man | Feb 5th, 2005
21
Woman Accused of Severing Man's Penis
by moghrabi | Nov 2nd, 2004