Beetle declares war on BC

I think not
GRANGEVILLE, Idaho - Northwest loggers are worried British Columbia may be forced to harvest as much as 21 million acres of forests to stop the mountain pine beetle, flooding the market and driving down timber prices.

The infected forests in British Columbia make up an area roughly 40 percent the size of Idaho. To combat the beetles, the province is increasing allowable timber cuts 78 percent; big trouble for mills throughout the Northwest.

"They're going to bury us in the sand," said Dick Bennett, owner of Bennett Forest Industries in Grangeville.

Bennett said the timber industry won't be as hot as it was in recent years because of an expected decline in the housing and building markets.

"If you're not strong, you're out of business," he said.

The beetles are native to British Columbia and the Inland Northwest, but warm winters and an abundance of lodgepole pine are helping the insects flourish, according to a 2005 report from the University of British Columbia's Forest Resources Management Department.

Officials say the beetle outbreak is the worst natural disaster to ever befall British Columbia and a researcher at the University of British Columbia says the province has little choice but to salvage what it can.

"In this case, we have dead timber that is degrading as it sits on the stump," said John McLean, a forest entomologist. "A big effort is under way to access as much as can be handled by the system while at the same time, plant trees on the cutover lands to ensure that the new crop is established."

The infestation is the worst on record, 20 times larger than in the 1930s when 1.2 million acres were killed. Experts are expecting the epidemic to last another 10 years, or until about 80 percent of British Columbia's lodgepole pine forests are wiped out.

Duane Vaagen, owner of a sawmill in Colville, Wash., said British Columbia mills are operating as if there was a "gold rush," running three shifts a day and buying equipment from closed sawmills in the United States.

Vaagen said he expects to begin feeling the impact of a flooded market shortly.

"We're within a year of getting bit," he said.

Link

FiveParadox
I would think that we can expect some sort of comprehensive strategy from the Honourable Gordon Campbell , the Premier of British Columbia , in relation to the pine beetle problem; he had promised some sort of action to be taken against the infestation during his most recent election campaign.

zoofer
If I recall right a plan to spray the beetle infestation was shelved after opposition from environmentalists and other fringe groups. That was when it was containable.
I guess they just hoped for 3 weeks of frigid weather to kill them off.

iamcanadian
Let nature take it's course. Don't make up excuses to rape the forests for money in a hot lumber market. "They are working like it's the gold rush..." That's what is behind it. Paying off some professional to make a report that suits the objective is old hat and people must start seeing though this kind of crap.

FiveParadox
iamcanadian , perhaps you are unaware of the threat that this infestation poses to the temperate rainforest of the Province of British Columbia . I would urge you to view the Government of B.C. Web site, and search for speeches from honourable members regarding the issue. It is quite a serious one indeed, as per the opinions of both the Government, and the Opposition.

iamcanadian
I would not trust the time of day posted on a Canadian government web site.

The Canadian Government Bureaucracy works with only one objective; money in their pockets via their friends they can help make money.

The beatles are indiginous and they where there first. The forest was fine for millenia, I am not going to listen to a paid professional say what they pay him to say.

FiveParadox
Then perhaps you could offer an argument to refute the threat?

To be clear, I was not linking to a Web site from the Government of Canada , but rather the Government of British Columbia . They are most certainly not one in the same.

iamcanadian
Federal, Provincial, and Municipal Governments in all of Canada are one and the same. The Bureaucrats are all one big happy family.

The beatles are indiginous to the area and they where there first. The forest was fine for millenia with this and I am not going to listen to a paid professional say what they pay him to say so they can strip the land bare to sell our trees to the Chinese.

Jersay
Iamcanadian, weren't the beatles from China or someplace. They are not indigenous. If they were, they wouldn't be an infestation of them.

iamcanadian
Read the report. They are local indigenous beatles. Hence my suspicion that the report is fabricated to permit more cheap strip logging to fill the huge lumber orders from China and the rest of the world where economies are booming way better than Canada over the last ten years. So they mention of pending slow down in Canadian markets to divert attention.

Your are confusing it with the Asian Long Horn Beatle that has infested the GTA.

I would not put this kind of grand scam beyond our senior public servants to orchestrate anywhere in Canada.

Jersay
Oh, okay.

Maybe you are correct. Who knows.

Ten Packs
Quote: Originally Posted by iamcanadian

Paying off some professional to make a report that suits the objective is old hat and people must start seeing though this kind of crap.

I see... and could you also give us your thoughts on the Grassy Knoll, Area 51 and the Lunar-landing Hoax???

Jersay
Hey man, Area 51 is real man. They've got aliens in there man. Or some kind of top secret weapon, hopefully aliens because we can't be the only thing in space. Someone please help us if we are alone.

Beanie
The beatles came from England!!These beetles came from the States.I have worked in the lumber bus; for many years and have seen the distruction of our forests and the renewel aswell.The techs; that we have today takes the place of alot of wood.Therefore; our forest are more populated now than they were say...in the 40's

iamcanadian
Quote:

The beetles are native to British Columbia and the Inland Northwest, but warm winters and an abundance of lodgepole pine are helping the insects flourish, according to a 2005 report from the University of British Columbia's Forest Resources Management Department.

Can't you guys read? It says it right in the report.

Since they are native, don't **** with them because it will just cause some other catastophy. Look what they did to Hawaii and everywhere else man interfered with the natural environement and wildlife. Mother nature is doing her job.