Legacy of a half century of Athabasca oil sands development

Locutus
via sda:

.. as recorded by lake ecosystems;
This clearly demonstrates that the [polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons] "pollution" associated with oil sands development is insignificant. The PAH concentrations in most of lakes in the study area are unremarkable when compared to remote lakes in the boreal forest in the 18th and 19th century and are more similar to modern remote lakes than they are to urban and agriculturally developed areas.
“Canadian oil sands pollute nearby lakes. Report is blow to Keystone pipeline.” (Or Not) | Watts Up With That?

Legacy of a half century of Athabasca oil sands development - Small Dead Animals

Spade
Oil sands pollution ‘clearly evident’, government-funded study says | Energy | News | Financial Post

captain morgan
Legacy of a half century of Athabasca oil sands development - Small Dead Animals

The 'comments' section says quite a lot:

"need to bring back that Fort Chip elder that couldnt identify a rotting fish.
or is he idling no more?"
Posted by: cal2 on January 11, 2013 1:53 PM | Reply

"When you're cleaning up Mother Nature's oil spill, it stands to reason the lakes would be getting cleaner."
Posted by: set you free on January 11, 2013 2:18 PM | Reply

damngrumpy
There are two sides in this dispute and neither of them care that much about facts
or reality, you see their minds are already made up.
From what I hear there are different methods of extraction some are more associated
with pollution than others. If that is true, why wouldn't it be in the interest of the
industry to explore using the best method that addresses some of the concerns of
Natives and Environmentalists.
Armed with that, the latter two groups could at least listen to what is being said.

petros
+1
#5  Top Rated Post
My favourite is "heavy metal contamination" of the forest soils and snow down wind.

100% expected when polymetallic black shales are at or near surface in the same area tested.

Some putz , Tonituna I believe exclaimed "it's in the snow" and snow run-off.

Yeah, it'll get into the snow..... from black shale dust that spent all summer in trees.

Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

There are two sides in this dispute and neither of them care that much about facts
or reality, you see their minds are already made up.
From what I hear there are different methods of extraction some are more associated
with pollution than others. If that is true, why wouldn't it be in the interest of the
industry to explore using the best method that addresses some of the concerns of
Natives and Environmentalists.
Armed with that, the latter two groups could at least listen to what is being said.

The only Natives and Environmentalists complaining in North Western SK (where alleged pollution is) are the ones without grade 12 or have criminal records and can't get jobs with resource companies.

P.S. Polymetallic black shales are a great investment opportunity if you can handle investing and sitting for another 10 years.

polymetallic black shales saskatchewan - Google Search