The 2010 Charade (Winter Olympics)

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

What message? "Be a really excellent hockey player and you can be a millionaire."
You could as easily insert, soccer player, football player, baseball player, tennis player etc. Take your choice. What is your point?

Amateur sport is exaclty that, sport. Professional sport is big business, not sport.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

Amateur sport is exaclty that, sport. Professional sport is big business, not sport.

and the amateurs strive to become professionals. All
those professionals you watch, were amateurs, played
hard to get to the big time, not unlike many walks of
life.

Curiosity
Thanks Juan

That explains why my niece rarely mentions The White Spot to me any more - she used to sign off telling me she and her friends were "off to the White Spot Drive In" just to make me jealous!

They were the first drive in restaurants I had ever seen when we moved to B.C. and I thought they were pretty "uptown"....and the food was so yummy.

Things change but with improvements? Sometimes I wonder....

Kreskin
Best hamburgers on the planet use to be made at the Dairy Queen in New Westminster near the old Woodwards (40 years ago). The brazier burger was off the charts. Too bad they don't make anything like them anymore.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

and the amateurs strive to become professionals. All
those professionals you watch, were amateurs, played
hard to get to the big time, not unlike many walks of
life.

Of course, thats where they make money. Goes without saying. However once money is involved, it becomes business. Where is team spirit now, for example? At one time it was a kids dream to play for the Leafs or the Habs. Now its 'if you don't pay me enough, trade me'. Eric Lindros is an example of greed before team spirit. That is no longer sport. And they don't care about the fans. The strike proved that.

Curiosity
Just found this article for people to read.... I feel so superior - the author is looking for a pair of red mittens from the Olympics...I have a pair! My very
own.... as close as I could get to the Games but still a great memento as well
as my memories.

From Woe Canada, to Oh Canada: Celebrating Delightful Games -- Olympics -- 2010 Winter Olympics from Vancouver FanHouse

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post

Thanks Juan

That explains why my niece rarely mentions The White Spot to me any more - she used to sign off telling me she and her friends were "off to the White Spot Drive In" just to make me jealous!

They were the first drive in restaurants I had ever seen when we moved to B.C. and I thought they were pretty "uptown"....and the food was so yummy.

My God, that stirs up some memories. I had completely forgotten about drive-in restaurants and waitresses with roller skates. remember the stretchable trays that would fit across any car but about the only foods you could eat off them was finger food like a hamburgers & fries, etc.
Are there any drive-ins left? I think they are all gone. Drive-in movies....... I think they are all gone too. A whole nuther subject....

JLM

My God, that stirs up some memories. I had completely forgotten about drive-in restaurants and waitresses with roller skates. remember the stretchable trays that would fit across any car but about the only foods you could eat off them was finger food like a hamburgers & fries, etc.
Are there any drive-ins left? I think they are all gone. Drive-in movies....... I think they are all gone too. A whole nuther subject....

It was just brought to my attention the other day that there is a drive in movie theatre in Enderby.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

It was just brought to my attention the other day that there is a drive in movie theatre in Enderby.

Where is Enderby?

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post

Thanks Juan

I might be wrong, but I think the white spot still has a
drive-in on the mainland somewhere, we were always at
the white spot in new westminster, (6th&12thst), 'chicken
pickens', or 'chicken in the straw', and many other yummy
dishes.

#juan

Where is Enderby?

Nevermind...I found it.

ENDERBY THE TOP OF THE OKANAGAN "COMMUNITY INFORMATION"

talloola

Of course, thats where they make money. Goes without saying. However once money is involved, it becomes business. Where is team spirit now, for example? At one time it was a kids dream to play for the Leafs or the Habs. Now its 'if you don't pay me enough, trade me'. Eric Lindros is an example of greed before team spirit. That is no longer sport. And they don't care about the fans. The strike proved that.

Eric Lindros was a kid whose parents controlled everything
he did, he was just taking orders from them at the time,
he didn't have the power or maturity to make that silly
decision, not to play in quebec, a parantal decision,
and most of his managerial problems were causes by his
parents, it's too bad, because he's a good guy, and what they
did made him look like a spoiled brat.

It's you the fan who's 'mind' changes when these athletes
finally make some money after years and years of training
and finally become good enough to play professionally.
They don't demand anything, they get paid at the rate the
'OWNERS' are willing to pay them, and it is the owners who
compete with EACH OTHER, playing with all of their money,
to get a player before the other owner gets him, it is them
who have driven up the market, the players negotiate with
management and arrive at a number, they can't make anyone
pay them anything, it is the owners who fork it out.

The players do not change, they are a driven lot, love the
game, and are very competative, have been all of their lives, even as kids, and they keep themselves at that
highest level, because there are always other players who
will take their jobs if they slack off. You can see from
the spirit of the players on team canada, (paid nothing to
compete in olympics, unless they win a medal), they love
what they do, and do it well.

It is the attitude of certain fans, as soon as the junior becomes
a NHL player, that fan has a 'jealousy' of the money the player
now makes, and that fan 'changes' his own outlook of the player,
but the player is the same.
I would never criticize anyone for making a good living, in any field,
as long as it is legal.

#juan

I might be wrong, but I think the white spot still has a
drive-in on the mainland somewhere, we were always at
the white spot in new westminster, (6th&12thst), 'chicken
pickens', or 'chicken in the straw', and many other yummy
dishes.

Actually I was wrong. There are still a few left.

The restaurant was founded on June 16, 1928 by Nat Bailey. His first idea for a name for the eatery had been Granville Barbecue, but Nat instead took the advice of a friend who suggested he call it White Spot after a restaurant on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles, California. The original White Spot location, and long-time flagship restaurant, was located in the Marpole neighbourhood, at 67th and Granville Street at what would be known to many as Granville House, in Vancouver. Originally, it was White Spot Barbecue Sandwiches, and then evolved into a full-fledge drive-in and dining room. By the 1990s, however, White Spot Drive-ins were slowly phased out due to an increase in franchise restaurants and a gradual decrease in popularity of drive-in's.
The original location was a popular dining spot in the area, until 1988 when a fire in the kitchen badly damaged the building. The restaurant closed at that location for good, shortly thereafter. There was talk at the time of rebuilding on the site, but the ownership of the chain decided against it. It was years later that the chain would restore a White Spot restaurant to Marpole.
In 1981, a White Spot restaurant was the location where police met and recorded Clifford Robert Olson. [1]
In 1982, White Spot returned to local ownership. The company was purchased by BC businessman Peter C.Toigo and became a part of Shato Holdings Limited. Peter Toigoís acquisition began the most aggressive expansion period in White Spotís history, and in 1993, White Spot introduced franchising as an option to further grow its business and promote entrepreneurial spirit.
In 1986, White Spot was sued in the court case Gee v. White Spot which helped set Canadian case law. The plaintiffs, Mr. Gee and Mr. & Mrs. Pan, claimed damages for botulism poisoning related to a beef dip. The decision made it easier for diners to sue restaurants for breach of contract and implied warranty instead of the harder-to-prove negligence.
Up through the 1990s, many White Spot franchises had an old-fashioned drive-in, with servers (known as "carhops") bringing trays and food to diners' car to eat on-site, using long trays that fit across the seats between vehicles' windows. As of January 2010, eleven locations still offer drive-in service, such as those in North Burnaby, in North and West Vancouver, and on Marine Drive and on West Broadway in Vancouver.[2] From 1999 onward, White Spot franchises have been installed on 11 ships in the BC Ferries fleet.

talloola

Actually I was wrong. There are still a few left.

The restaurant was founded on June 16, 1928 by Nat Bailey. His first idea for a name for the eatery had been Granville Barbecue, but Nat instead took the advice of a friend who suggested he call it White Spot after a restaurant on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles, California. The original White Spot location, and long-time flagship restaurant, was located in the Marpole neighbourhood, at 67th and Granville Street at what would be known to many as Granville House, in Vancouver. Originally, it was White Spot Barbecue Sandwiches, and then evolved into a full-fledge drive-in and dining room. By the 1990s, however, White Spot Drive-ins were slowly phased out due to an increase in franchise restaurants and a gradual decrease in popularity of drive-in's.
The original location was a popular dining spot in the area, until 1988 when a fire in the kitchen badly damaged the building. The restaurant closed at that location for good, shortly thereafter. There was talk at the time of rebuilding on the site, but the ownership of the chain decided against it. It was years later that the chain would restore a White Spot restaurant to Marpole.
In 1981, a White Spot restaurant was the location where police met and recorded Clifford Robert Olson. [1]
In 1982, White Spot returned to local ownership. The company was purchased by BC businessman Peter C.Toigo and became a part of Shato Holdings Limited. Peter Toigoís acquisition began the most aggressive expansion period in White Spotís history, and in 1993, White Spot introduced franchising as an option to further grow its business and promote entrepreneurial spirit.
In 1986, White Spot was sued in the court case Gee v. White Spot which helped set Canadian case law. The plaintiffs, Mr. Gee and Mr. & Mrs. Pan, claimed damages for botulism poisoning related to a beef dip. The decision made it easier for diners to sue restaurants for breach of contract and implied warranty instead of the harder-to-prove negligence.
Up through the 1990s, many White Spot franchises had an old-fashioned drive-in, with servers (known as "carhops") bringing trays and food to diners' car to eat on-site, using long trays that fit across the seats between vehicles' windows. As of January 2010, eleven locations still offer drive-in service, such as those in North Burnaby, in North and West Vancouver, and on Marine Drive and on West Broadway in Vancouver.[2] From 1999 onward, White Spot franchises have been installed on 11 ships in the BC Ferries fleet.

Interesting, years ago anytime we were in Vancouver we
always went to the drive-in on south granville, the
original one, and they had a very nice inside restaurant
there as well.

countryboy
I know that the White Spot on Broadway in Kits still offers car hop service. No roller skates though...

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by countryboy View Post

I know that the White Spot on Broadway in Kits still offers car hop service. No roller skates though...

don't know when the roller skates came along for white
spots, they never wore them at the ones I went to years
ago.

Cobalt_Kid
A buddy of mine was killed in 2004 in an auto accident directly attributed to poor highway maintainance at a time when the Campbell government was spending close to $billion twinning the highway between two of the richest communities in Canada.

Much of the rest of the province had to make due with a lot less resources in part to pay for these games.

I'm glad a lot of people are enjoying them, I can't this year. I've been thinking a lot lately of my buddies widow and young daughter who came and stayed with me for a couple of months after he passed, it seems a better way to spend my time than worrying about how many medals whatever country is winning at the moment.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by Cobalt_Kid View Post

A buddy of mine was killed in 2004 in an auto accident directly attributed to poor highway maintainance at a time when the Campbell government was spending close to $billion twinning the highway between two of the richest communities in Canada.

Much of the rest of the province had to make due with a lot less resources in part to pay for these games.

I'm glad a lot of people are enjoying them, I can't this year. I've been thinking a lot lately of my buddies widow and young daughter who came and stayed with me for a couple of months after he passed, it seems a better way to spend my time than worrying about how many medals whatever country is winning at the moment.

yeah, life isn't fair, 'sh*t' happens, and people suffer,
good on you for helping your friends in a time of need,
and your thoughts for them have priority right now.

Risus

game, and are very competative, have been all of their lives, even as kids, and they keep themselves at that

as long as it is legal.

I agree that the players had spirit at the Olympics, they are competing for their country. And yes, they are not getting paid for it. That makes it sport.

Your other mumbo jumbo is fine but the issue is that once you get into pro sports, the spirit is no longer there. It is business and greed. They no longer care for the fans, the team or the game. It is all money. As I said earlier, the strike proved that.

And no, I for one am not jealous (maybe you are) for the money they make. Just don't call it sport. It is not.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by Cobalt_Kid View Post

Sorry for your and your buddy's family's loss.
I am with you on this. My youngest daughter was telling me that the PG school district has had their budget cut by $7 million by Campbull. They are discussing the closing of 14 schools. One of my daughter's friends and her husband will have to take turns driving another hour and 20 minutes out of their day to get their kid to school because the bus won't drive far enough to pick up kids for school. But, "Oh, the Olympics will help BC's infrastructure". Wrong. It'll help out Vancouver and region here & there but at the expense of the rest of the province.
Campbull & Co. + the NDP (for getting us into the Olys in the first place) should be made to pay out of their own pockets for anything resulting in trouble to everyone in BC because of the Olys.

JLM

Where is Enderby?

Nine miles north of Armstrong.

AnnaG

Nine miles north of Armstrong.

North Okanagan.

JLM

as long as it is legal.

I'm glad to hear Lindros had some excuse, I never had too many problems with most of the players, but I did find Lindros on a par with Brat Hull as far as repulsiveness was concerned and Al McGuiness was only a short step higher. Maybe it's conceit that bothers me, when I think about it.........................

talloola

I agree that the players had spirit at the Olympics, they are competing for their country. And yes, they are not getting paid for it. That makes it sport.

Your other mumbo jumbo is fine but the issue is that once you get into pro sports, the spirit is no longer there. It is business and greed. They no longer care for the fans, the team or the game. It is all money. As I said earlier, the strike proved that.

And no, I for one am not jealous (maybe you are) for the money they make. Just don't call it sport. It is not.

the business is for the 'owners and management', the players are paid workers, who just want to play, and
it is their job, so just like you or I, they don't do
their job for nothing.
I only hear about the money from posters/fans, who make a big deal out of it,
and blame the players for being spoiled millionairs, but never mention the
owners and management, who are the reason the money is paid, and how much as
well.
I respect them for how hard they worked to get there, and as far as I am concerned
they earn every penny, whether it is a million, lower, or more.

Risus

the business is for the 'owners and management', the players are paid workers, who just want to play, and
it is their job, so just like you or I, they don't do
their job for nothing.
I only hear about the money from posters/fans, who make a big deal out of it,
and blame the players for being spoiled millionairs, but never mention the
owners and management, who are the reason the money is paid, and how much as
well.
I respect them for how hard they worked to get there, and as far as I am concerned
they earn every penny, whether it is a million, lower, or more.

You hit the nail right on the head but don't realize it. The players are paid workers, not a sportsman. Its big business from the owners down to the players, they don't give a crap about the fans. The Toronto Laffs are a prime example of that. ITS NO LONGER SPORT...

AnnaG

You hit the nail right on the head but don't realize it. The players are paid workers, not a sportsman. Its big business from the owners down to the players, they don't give a crap about the fans. The Toronto Laffs are a prime example of that. ITS NO LONGER SPORT...

Exactly.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

North Okanagan.

How technical do you want to be? If you want to be really technical, Enderby is NOT in the Okanagan. The height of land is one mile norht of Armstrong, there's a sign on the Hwy. All water north eventually reaches the Fraser River, all water south eventually reaches the Columbia River, which puts Enderby in the Shuswap water catchment area. There, you just got geography 101.

AnnaG

How technical do you want to be? If you want to be really technical, Enderby is NOT in the Okanagan. The height of land is one mile norht of Armstrong, there's a sign on the Hwy. All water north eventually reaches the Fraser River, all water south eventually reaches the Columbia River, which puts Enderby in the Shuswap water catchment area. There, you just got geography 101.

ok I flunk. lol I just think of north okanagan as just about everything from Kloneville north to the TC hiway. lol

#juan
Where's Armstrong? just kidding......

AnnaG

Where's Armstrong? just kidding......

Head north on the mainland and look for a big block of excellent cheddar cheese.