If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.

Cliffy
No teacher, guru, shaman, priest, rabbi, imam, rinpoche, or any other imagined wise enlightened being can give us what we already are. But literally everyone and everything can point to what we are.
Every ordinary being we meet is the teacher/guru, including your own self [warts and all] if things can be seen from an uncluttered point of view. The words of others, beliefs, concepts, ideas, imagined as truth, are often what the clutter is that obscures the reality.
A dog, a cat, a bird singing out its heart at the first dawn light, and even a tree that has lived a hundred or a thousand years before you were even a thought, can be the most profound of teachers without words if the moment is right.
Some of our wisest human teachers [still just ordinary humans] point out we are simultaneously all of it, and yet nothing at all. And herein lay the always remaining great mystery. Absolutely no one can say with certainty, has ever been able to say with certainty, what it is we are or are not, regardless of claims of special lineage, tradition, secret knowledge, or method. No human knows for sure the whole story. Granted some may know experientially, even energetically, just a little bit of the reality, but even that little bit of what is known is always only a limited partial view, which rarely [if ever] has been accurately shared using human concepts, ideas, and language. It simply can’t be done.
We make a grave error by elevating our ordinary human teachers and their words to sacred deity status and worshiping them as if they are the end all, and be all of truth. We can imagine them as special humans, superior to the rest of us ordinary humans. For some reason humans continue to do this over and over again.
It has created huge problems on many levels not to realize what these ordinary humans offered were only personal partial views of reality that may or may not be accurate. This inability to adequately communicate such partial views as the partial views they are rather than some complete absolute truth, is why there have always been religion based killings, wars and human misery inflicted on each other in the name of our teachers/deities/religions.
No words can ever describe the fragrance of love, not even the words of our most revered teachers, never mind be all of it. As Robert suggests in the article below, unless we let the words of others go, see things for ourselves, realize we are equally capable of seeing things for what they are, we will never know freedom.
“At a certain point, advice and words from anyone—Nisargadatta, Ramana, or the man in the moon—cease to have meaning. Those words may have served as a pointer along the way, and that’s fine, but sooner or later you will have to forget ALL those words and go it alone. This is why it is said that if you meet the Buddha in the road, kill him.
If you do not kill the Buddha, you will remain forever a disciple and never actually find the ground of your OWN being, which has nothing to do with words, no matter how good those words sound or how many people repeat them. That ground is here right now. What you seek is what you already are, and does not have any relation to how Nisargadatta lived or how Ramana Maharshi lived. They were not “gods,” but ordinary human beings just like you. Nisargadatta liked sex and cigarettes, and died of throat cancer.
In the beginning, the words from those guys may have encouraged and inspired you, and that’s fine, but if you cling too long to a teaching, any teaching, it will blind you to your OWN life, your OWN being, your OWN truth.
If I point at the moon, my dog will look at my finger and not even see the moon. Why? Because the dog is attached to me, and loves everything I do. The dog sees me as if I were an all-powerful, all-knowing “God.” Perhaps you feel that way about Nisargadatta or Ramana Maharshi. If you do, it is time to kill them as role models.
When I say “kill” them, I do not mean any disrespect. You will continue to feel grateful to them for helping to bring you to this moment, but, if you want freedom, you must find that freedom within YOURSELF without reference to anyone else’s opinions or teachings. As long as one clings to anything—teachings, teachers, religions, practices—whatever—there IS no freedom. Clinging and freedom do not go together, and cannot exist in the same mind.”
“Only YOU can know if you really want freedom or not. Many claim they do, but most who claim to want freedom do not want freedom, but only want to feel better or happier.” ~R.S.

There is only one authority in your life and that is you.

Curious Cdn
The Nirvana of the guy, eh?