Calgary Fertility Clinic Refuses White Patient a Non-White Donor

mentalfloss
Idiots.

The Regional Fertility Program in Calgary, Alberta, is making news after denying a white woman a non-Caucasian sperm donor.

38-year-old Catherine (whose name was changed) was shocked to discover that despite finding more ideal qualities in donors of other ethnicities, the Regional Fertility Program (RFP) only allowed her to choose from a narrowed-down list of about 20 Caucasian donors—many of whom had donated to other couples in the area.

But not mixing ethnicities is clinic's policy, as they state on their site that "it is the practice of the Regional Fertility Program not to permit the use of a sperm donor that would result in a future child appearing racially different than the recipient or the recipient's partner." The clinic's administrative director Dr. Calvin Greene stated that they will not provide a program for those "insist" on using a donor of another race. As Jessica Barrett reports in the Calgary Herald:

"I'm not sure that we should be creating rainbow families just because some single woman decides that that's what she wants," he said. "That's her prerogative, but that's not her prerogative in our clinic."

Oh boy. "Some single woman," huh? Not going to lie—I find the visual kind of hilarious: as if all the single ladies who seek fertility resources are merely looking for that perfect shade of baby to go with their Louis V duffels and their rose gold wristwatches—you know baby that says chic and exotic, but is practical at the same time. Anyway, Dr. Greene went on:

Greene said doctors at the clinic feel "a child of an ethnic background should have the ability to be able to identify with their ethnic roots." He added patients should have a "cultural connection" to their donors.

This brings up an interesting conversation given the constantly changing contexts of "culture"—to impress a limited notion of culture and family on someone is worrisome, even if other clinics often automatically set up couples or single women with donors that ethnically resemble them.

At the same time, there is a smaller selection of non-Caucasian donors at that RFP and Greene feels that non-Caucasian patients already have enough trouble finding suitable candidates, a very fair concern. (But it's not like you can "hog" a sperm donor, especially when there is already overlap with Caucasian donors.)

Apparently, RFP has come under fire regarding this issue before—five years ago a white couple approached the clinic looking to use non-Caucasian sperm despite not having fertility issues to begin with. They were turned away. But Greene feels his clinic abides by the Canadian Assisted Human Reproduction Act of 2004 which sought a more woman and child-centered regulation of human assisted reproduction.

Tim Caulfield, law professor at University of Alberta, found the clinic's policy troublesome:

"To assume that the colour of one's skin determines their culture, determines their well-being I think is unfortunate," he said, noting many could argue the Regional Fertility Program is producing designer kids by virtue of its own restrictions.

Children whose ethnicity is different than their parents will "have a different life experience," he acknowledged. But "to assume that these different types of life experiences somehow put them at a disadvantage, or that we have to ensure that everyone has some kind of 'normal' family is, I think, a mistake."

While doctors may maintain their decision to deny matches based on ethnicity, it certainly leaves many families hanging, seeing as RFP is the only fertility clinic in Calgary. Those looking for IVF would have to drive a few hours to Edmonton or fly to Vancouver to seek alternative solutions.

QuebecCanadian
When I saw the title of this thread I said "Say whaaaat?" Yeah, it's as ridiculous as it sounds.

Uh someone trying to play "maker"?

"I'm not sure that we should be creating rainbow families just because some single woman decides that that's what she wants," he said. "That's her prerogative, but that's not her prerogative in our clinic."

I say find another clinic.

Walter
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by QuebecCanadian View Post

I say find another clinic.

Exactly. Find another clinic.

Nuggler
+2
" Regional Fertility Program (RFP) only allowed her to choose from a narrowed-down list of about 20 Caucasian donors—many of whom had donated to other couples in the area."

So, 20 donors, many ................IN the area..............Anyone see what might happen.?

Many years from now a couple from the area might get married, who might be brother and sister. ?

Just sayin. No financial interest and I don't care. Hell I liked Deliverance.......eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Grievous
Is this clinic publicly funded?

If it is they have no right to discriminate

If it isn't they have every right to discriminate.

petros
+1
If you get your kid FN Status they're set up and so will their kids be.

Durry
What about the donor, does he have any say in matters like this??

Just suppose he donated on the basis that the clinic would donate his sperm as per their policy, and then they change their policy, does he still have a say?? Are they entitled to go back to the donor??
Maybe this issue is not so simple as it first sounds!! Just say'n !!

Nuggler
+1
I don't care any more. Still having hot dogs for supper tomorrow.

so
there ?

taxslave
So all donors jerk off in a bucket and stir. Then ya take what ya get.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Exactly. Find another clinic.

Or abide by the legislation?

Quote: Originally Posted by Grievous View Post

Is this clinic publicly funded?

If it is they have no right to discriminate

If it isn't they have every right to discriminate.

This isn't a insurance company.

They should not be allowed to have this kind of policy.

Grievous
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Private is private.

Don't like it go somewhere else.

PoliticalNick
+1

You got a link to that legislation stating people can force a private climit to I'm pregnant them with a bi-racial embryo?

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

If you get your kid FN Status they're set up and so will their kids be.

Don't be giving ideas out. You're gonna start a stampede by the welfare crew to request a native donor.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Grievous View Post

Private is private.

Don't like it go somewhere else.

Private companies can't break the law.

Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

You got a link to that legislation stating people can force a private climit to I'm pregnant them with a bi-racial embryo?

Of course not.

They shouldn't be forcing you to take any embryo of their choosing.

PoliticalNick

Private companies can't break the law.

Of course not.

They shouldn't be forcing you to take any embryo of their choosing.

They aren't bound by the same laws as public healthcare. They have a right to refuse service. End of story.

BaalsTears
There's a fertility clinic in San Francisco that refuses to provide clients with a Canadian donor. Canadian donors are too risky.

captain morgan
+3
#16  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTears View Post

There's a fertility clinic in San Francisco that refuses to provide clients with a Canadian donor. Canadian donors are too risky.

Only risk there is adding points to the general IQ levels

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTears View Post

Afraid they will get one that isn't gay?

BaalsTears
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Only risk there is adding points to the general IQ levels

Canadian donors present the risk of virility in men and femininity in women.

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Afraid they will get one that isn't gay?

Bingo! We have a winner.

mentalfloss

They aren't bound by the same laws as public healthcare. They have a right to refuse service. End of story.

You are missing the point.

This isn't about what they can do, but what they shouldn't.

PoliticalNick
+1

You are missing the point.

This isn't about what they can do, but what they shouldn't.

You are out of your mind. The doctors/owners of the clinic have made a decision based on their ethics and morals not to put a child in what could be a traumatic situation. It is their clinic and they have a right to have such a policy. I happen to agree with their logic. I'm sure amy couple that wants a baby of a different race they can find a clinic somewhere that will oblige or they can adopt.

mentalfloss
Wake up.

Calgary fertility clinic’s race restriction policy highlights need for ethical guidelines: health minister

Mr. Horne added he was “surprised” to learn of the policy. “I don’t agree with it. I don’t think it’s in keeping with the values of Albertans or society generally.”

Mr. Horne said the province is now going through the assessment process to determine eligibility criteria for publicly funded fertility treatments, which would likely hinge on the patients’ medical suitability and the number of embryos to be implanted and cycles to be covered.

PoliticalNick
+2

Wake up.

Calgary fertility clinic’s race restriction policy highlights need for ethical guidelines: health minister

Mr. Horne added he was “surprised” to learn of the policy. “I don’t agree with it. I don’t think it’s in keeping with the values of Albertans or society generally.”

Mr. Horne said the province is now going through the assessment process to determine eligibility criteria for publicly funded fertility treatments, which would likely hinge on the patients’ medical suitability and the number of embryos to be implanted and cycles to be covered.

I am against public funding for fertility treatment. There is no 'right' to have a baby. It is like plastic surgery...totally optional and by request. And just like some plastic surgeons limit what they will do for clients so do the doctors at this clinic.

captain morgan
It's still a private business Flossy... If you, and the public at large, do not like, support or condone their policies, then don't attend their business... Not that different from Justine Trudeau forbidding any members of the Liberal Party from having a pro-life position

It's pretty simple really.

mentalfloss
The spin here is incredible.

A private business can still have laws that they have to follow and it's obvious that this clinic responded to the backlash and removed the policy or it would otherwise be made a case for new legislation.

So in essence, your position of accept the private institution's rules and take it is bullcrap.

I am against public funding for fertility treatment. There is no 'right' to have a baby. It is like plastic surgery...totally optional and by request. And just like some plastic surgeons limit what they will do for clients so do the doctors at this clinic.

I don't know where I said people have a 'right' to have a baby.

But if they have the option, they should have the 'right' not to be forced to take one particular race and you would see legislation enforcing that if this shady clinic was belligerent enough to stick to their 'moral code'.

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

It's still a private business Flossy... If you, and the public at large, do not like, support or condone their policies, then don't attend their business... Not that different from Justine Trudeau forbidding any members of the Liberal Party from having a pro-life position

It's pretty simple really.

Actually itis quite different. The liberal party is a political group ,inpart funded by taxpayers not a just-in groupie organization. Therefore the leadership has no right telling members what they must believe.

captain morgan

The spin here is incredible.

A private business can still have laws that they have to follow and it's obvious that this clinic responded to the backlash and removed the policy or it would otherwise be made a case for new legislation.

So in essence, your position of accept the private institution's rules and take it is bullcrap.

Thanks for the laugh Flossy... I see that you can justify Trudeau's moral and ethical transgressions but somehow a private company that institutes a policy that is not illegal in terms of the existing laws is now, somehow, illegal.

... I'm curious though, say that a halal meat shop decides that pork products are not to be offered - is that now 'illegal' as it discriminates aginst those that love pork?

Better yet, answer the question as it relates to your messiah

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Actually itis quite different. The liberal party is a political group ,inpart funded by taxpayers not a just-in groupie organization. Therefore the leadership has no right telling members what they must believe.

No doubt... You'd almost think that by virtue of the thousands of threads started by Flossy 'demanding' that the Feds and private business are perpetually and flagrantly flouting the laws that the Libs would (possibly, maybe) be expected to live up to those same laws

Praxius
+3
The strange thing about all of this is the argument of the child having a different ethnic background from the "parents." That the child might have a difficult time in life having a different skin colour.

#1 - The kid will eventually learn they were from a donor sperm regardless of their skin colour, like many donor kids do.

#2 - Even if they never tell the kid they were a donor child, the mother and father could say he or she was from a previous relationship.... Or if there is just the mother, their father died in a tractor accident or was a fling in the bar or some other story like they were adopted.

#3 - Ethnic background isn't much of an issue when if it's just a sperm donation into the mother's egg, that kid still ends up being half the mother's ethnicity.

#4 - As sperm donor babies are starting to get the right to know who their donor father is due to some crap in the courts recently, if they want to know the other half of their ethnicity, they can.

#5 - If these clinics are worried about children growing up having a difficult time living with what and how they came to be, then maybe they shouldn't be in this sort of business in the first place.... Because if they're concerned about these donor babies having a "normal" life compared to regular "naturally" conceived child, it's a little too late for that.

Kreskin
+2
I was a little struck by the director referring to mixed race families as "rainbow families". No matter how he feels it is quite unprofessional to inject one's personal racial bias into the operation of a medical facility. Imagine any doctor putting up a sign like that? A family doctor with a sign on the door "No Rainbow Families". Backing it up with "we're a private business" just doesn't cut it. I was glad to someone from the clinic counter his statement by saying they changed the policy a year ago. It seems his on staff had had enough of him.

mentalfloss
A Calgary fertility clinic tried to tamp down “rainbow” families

A Calgary fertility clinic would like you to know that it no longer requires clients to limit themselves to choosing donors of similar ethnicities to their own. Any more.

The Regional Fertility Program found itself the center of international headlines this week, after, as the Globe and Mail reports, one of its doctors “told a single Caucasian woman seeking in vitro fertilization that she could receive sperm from only white donors.” The woman, known only as Catherine, says, ”That’s when everything went downhill. I was absolutely floored.”

That directive certainly seemed in line with the policy stated on its site, which as of Monday still explained, “It is the practice of the Regional Fertility Program not to permit the use of a sperm donor that would result in a future child appearing racially different than the recipient or the recipient’s partner.” And a private facility, its policy demonstrated that it’s part of a system in which doctors and administrators can, as Matt Gysler, former president of the Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society says, “essentially write their own rules and then the clinic, which is maybe a group of physicians, will rewrite their own rules and then agree to practice in a similar way.”

But after receiving an onslaught of surprised news stories and attention, the clinic has attempted to clarify itself – though it hasn’t done a bang-up job of sounding like it has a truly firm handle on the whole “It’s the 21st century and mixing races is perfectly okay” thing. Instead, clinic spokeswoman Paula Arab issued a statement that “For more than a year, patients of the Regional Fertility Program have had the choice of egg or sperm donors of any ethnicity.

Unfortunately, this change in policy was not updated on our website, which is currently under construction. This was an oversight and that older policy has now been removed.” On its site, the clinic similarly disputed the “erroneous media reports about a policy that restricts patients to using donors of the same ethnicity,” vowing that “No such policy exists…. Since changing our policy last year, the clinic has treated numerous patients who have requested donors of different ethnicity.” All hail the Regional Fertility Program, unafraid of miscegenation since 2013! A whole year ago! And booooo to those irresponsible media reports that directly quoted our own doctors and promotional materials!

The clinic now explains that “Ethics and ethical debates have always characterized the topic of fertility treatments and will likely continue to do so in future but these difficult issues should not detract from the core work of the Regional Fertility Program in assisting individuals and couples create families. The change in policy reflects the multicultural society we live in today. The Regional Fertility Program respects ethnic diversity and the autonomy of the reproductive choices made by our patients.” One could say thanks a bunch for that grudging respect for helping create multiracial families — a subject of “debate” and a “difficult issue” — but it’s still hard to feel convinced it’s totally on board. Administrative director Dr. Calvin

Green “confirmed” to the Calgary Herald just on Saturday that the clinic would not assist couples or individuals who wanted to conceive children of different ethnicities, saying that the no mixing policy had been in place since the clinic launched in the 1980′s. “I’m not sure that we should be creating rainbow families just because some single woman decides that that’s what she wants,” he said, in a statement dismissive of both mixed race families and single mothers. “That’s her prerogative, but that’s not her prerogative in our clinic.” He added that the clinic believed “A child of an ethnic background should have the ability to be able to identify with their ethnic roots” and that clients should have a “cultural connection” to their donors.

“I would ask you,” Green asked in his weekend interview, “why would you not choose somebody of your own cultural background?” How about, because none of your business? Additionally, potential client Catherine said that by the time she looked at the pool of healthy donors of her own race, she was left with a small number, and that she was less interested in race than a healthy baby anyway. “Frankly, it’s appalling how many people have the same donors, probably because of this policy,” she added. “A friend of mine just went through this process and used the donor that I would have picked.” But Green countered, “She needs to look harder, because I can tell you reasonable people can easily find a suitable donor.”

Yeah, this sounds like it’s totally her problem here.
Five years ago, the Alberta Human Rights Commission upheld the clinic’s policy, after a couple who had no infertility issues attempted to use their facilities to conceive a child of a different race. But on Monday, the clinic insisted, “The comments in recent news reports that were attributed to Dr. Cal Greene represent his own opinions and do not reflect policies at the clinic. Dr. Greene, a respected fertility physician, was speaking as an individual physician on the ethics of fertility.”

Yet it’s hard to imagine how thoroughly respectable Greene will continue to be, with more people now knowing his thoughts on single parents and “rainbow” families. The clinic may have revised its written policy but its attitudes seem to remain deeply engrained. Whether you’re going to a clinic or doing things the more old-fashioned way, the question every person contemplating starting a family needs to consider very seriously is, who do I really want to make a baby with? And that’s a question usually best determined not by race, but the heart and the mind.

A Calgary fertility clinic tried to tamp down “rainbow” families - Salon.com

Grievous
+1
Should a church be forced to marry a gay couple?

No.

Same goes for this fertility clinic, I think it's a bad choice on their part but it is their choice.

What's next, the government telling the Leafs they have to sign guys that can play hockey....sheesh.