Is reincarnation real?

SirJosephPorter
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

I remember reading a similar article (years ago) on Yogurt cultures and their
ability to respond (communicate?) with each other.

I also remember reading about ‘culture wars’ between different flavoured yogurts.

AnnaG
Anyway, I'm not willing to make a decision whether reincarnation is real or not; just that it's unknown. And in any case I've ever heard of or read, there remains reasonable doubt.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

I have met a few humans that would qualify as vegetables and they could communicate.

There's quite a few in Victoria and Ottawa, and they communicate well, if you consider lying communicating.

Cliffy
Our relatively short life span does not allow us to experience all the possibilities which life has to offer. It does not allow us to experience a different historical time frame, to know what it is like to be a member of the opposite sex (sex change operations not withstanding) or of a different race. It doesn’t make sense that one trip through third-dimensional reality would prepare us for the next spiritual evolutionary step. Besides, if sheer numbers have anything to do with it, what is to be made of the fact that far more people believe in reincarnation than don’t?

Although, in our culture and religion little is said or taught about reincarnation, there are references to it in the Bible. In the Old Testament in Malachi 4:14 the return of Elijah is prophesied. In Matthew 11:11 - 15 and 17: 10 - 13 Jesus reveals to his disciples that Elijah has returned in the person of John the Baptist. In John 9:1 - 9 we read:
“As Jesus passed by he saw a man who was blind from birth, and his disciples asked him saying ‘Master, who did sin, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?’ and Jesus answered ‘neither hath this man sinned nor has his parents but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.’”

Reincarnation was a common belief two thousand years ago, which would explain why they asked if the man had sinned. How else could he be blind from birth unless he had sinned in a previous life? In John 3:13 Jesus said, “no man hath ascended to heaven but he came down from heaven”, clearly stating the existence of life before physical birth.
Many of the early Christian scholars wrote about reincarnation. About AD 553 the Emperor Justinian repressed reincarnation for purely political reasons. Today a few references remain, like Jeremiah 1:5, Proverbs 8:22 - 31, Wisdom 8:19 - 20 (in the catholic version only), Ephesians 1:4 and John 17:5.

The nature of reincarnation remains vague in spite of recent interest. The popularity of past life regression among some circles of society has reopened a door once closed. The knowledge that was suppressed has yet to be fully regained or understood at this time.

china
The reincarnation is not real.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by china View Post

The reincarnation is not real.

Neither are we. What is real when you live in the Matrix. We are all just god/godess/the all that is/universe experimenting with possibilities. We are no more than a dream of the dreamer.

SirJosephPorter
Reincarnation was a common belief two thousand years ago, which would explain why they asked if the man had sinned. How else could he be blind from birth unless he had sinned in a previous life?

Cliffy, religion has never been able to satisfactorily answer the question, why is there so much suffering, pain in the world, why do bad things happen to good people? Hinduism tries to answer it with reference to reincarnation. Hinduism says that people suffer in this life because they sinned in their previous life. By the same token, if the do good deeds in this life, they will enjoy the fruits of it in the next life (the ultimate fruit, reward, of course being Salvation).

Two thousand years ago, Hinduism was the dominant world religion, so it is natural that other religions take their cue from Hinduism and also talk of reincarnation.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

Reincarnation was a common belief two thousand years ago, which would explain why they asked if the man had sinned. How else could he be blind from birth unless he had sinned in a previous life?

Cliffy, religion has never been able to satisfactorily answer the question, why is there so much suffering, pain in the world, why do bad things happen to good people? Hinduism tries to answer it with reference to reincarnation. Hinduism says that people suffer in this life because they sinned in their previous life. By the same token, if the do good deeds in this life, they will enjoy the fruits of it in the next life (the ultimate fruit, reward, of course being Salvation).

Two thousand years ago, Hinduism was the dominant world religion, so it is natural that other religions take their cue from Hinduism and also talk of reincarnation.

S.J.- BAd things happen to good and bad people- look at Saddam Hussein and sons and Adolf Eichman. What we consider as "tragedies" may not be actual tragedies in the great scheme of things. The Supreme Power in my opinion is more concerned with trends than individuals.

SirJosephPorter
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

S.J.- BAd things happen to good and bad people- look at Saddam Hussein and sons and Adolf Eichman. What we consider as "tragedies" may not be actual tragedies in the great scheme of things. The Supreme Power in my opinion is more concerned with trends than individuals.

JLM, that is certainly a more sensible view than the Fundamentalist view (that God looks after you, pray to him and your prayers will be answered) or the Catholic view (Priest is a direct conduit to God, confess your sins to him and they will be washed away).

If at all a God existed, he will be along the lines you suggest (which is also the Buddhist concept of God). He may be interested in trends in general, but not in individual lives of people.

taxslave
If, as my wife claims that reincarnation is real and Karma is involved then Hitler will come back as a fly in a Jewish outhouse for about ten million lifetimes. And all antiabortionists will become pregnant at 13 by their fathers in the next life. So it is not a bad theory.

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

If, as my wife claims that reincarnation is real and Karma is involved then Hitler will come back as a fly in a Jewish outhouse for about ten million lifetimes. And all antiabortionists will become pregnant at 13 by their fathers in the next life. So it is not a bad theory.

That's a funny take on it.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

That's a funny take on it.

Yep, and maybe a little sick.

Cannuck
Of course, all the pro-choicers will repeatedly try to come back but they'll be continually aborted.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Of course, all the pro-choicers will repeatedly try to come back but they'll be continually aborted.

Would that be a bad thing?

Cannuck
If you are pro-life it is. If you are pro-abortion, it doesn't really matter.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

If you are pro-life it is. If you are pro-abortion, it doesn't really matter.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it..........Maybe it's bad in the short term and good in the long term.

taxslave

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it..........Maybe it's bad in the short term and good in the long term.

We tend to think short term which is probably not good. But it is nice to know that those who deliberately cause harm will eventually pay the price.

AnnaG
Dreamers. lol
It's nice to dream about all nasty people getting their comeuppances. But it doesn't always happen.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

Dreamers. lol
It's nice to dream about all nasty people getting their comeuppances. But it doesn't always happen.

that is why they invented the devil. He will take care of what karma missed.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

Dreamers. lol

Maybe more than you think, there may be a lot of people who appear to be unscathed, but who suffer with tortured minds.....it's tough to escape your conscience, unless you are a total psychopath.

AnnaG
Anyone with a relatively high level of narcissism could do it, too.

SirJosephPorter

Maybe more than you think, there may be a lot of people who appear to be unscathed, but who suffer with tortured minds.....it's tough to escape your conscience, unless you are a total psychopath.

Indeed, JLM. You can fool others, but you cannot fool yourself.

china
Neither are we. What is real when you live in the Matrix. We are all just god/godess/the all that is/universe experimenting with possibilities. We are no more than a dream of the dreamer.

WOW............. !

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by china View Post

WOW............. !

lol and some are far more surreal than others.

eanassir
There isn't any reincarnation or transmigration of souls

Jews, Bahai and many other sects believe there is the reincarnation; Jews say if the man is righteous then his soul will be reincarnated in some child of the kings and rich men, while if he is wicked and evil then his soul will be reincarnated in the body of some animals.

But all this is false and imagination and delusions. It is only guessing, deeming something that they wish, which is not any real.

Man lives two lives: material in this World and spiritual in the afterlife;

one is the material one in this World, then he dies and his soul or spirit will separate from his body;
then if he is righteous and devoted to God alone without associating with God any other being
then he will prosper in the afterlife.

While if man is atheist, disbeliever, idolater and one that associates Jesus, Moses, Ali or others with God in addition to wronging people then he will lose and suffer in his afterlife.

Then when man dies, he will not return to this World to live again in his material life.

This is in the Quran 23: 99-100

حَتَّى إِذَا جَاء أَحَدَهُمُ الْمَوْتُ قَالَ رَبِّ ارْجِعُونِ . لَعَلِّي أَعْمَلُ صَالِحًا فِيمَا تَرَكْتُ كَلَّا إِنَّهَا كَلِمَةٌ هُوَ قَائِلُهَا وَمِن وَرَائِهِم بَرْزَخٌ إِلَى يَوْمِ يُبْعَثُونَ

The explanation:
( Till when death comes to one of them, he says: "O [angels of] my Lord, return me [to the Worldly life.]"

"That I may do good in [the wealth] that I left behind."

No, this is merely a word that he speaks; but behind them there is a barrier until the day they will be sent forth [to the gathering-together of the Judgment.])
Last edited by eanassir; Sep 23rd, 2009 at 03:42 AM..

YukonJack
I am not sure about reincarnation.

But if it is true, I fervently hope that I do not come back as an atheist or a Muslim.

By definition, either would condemn me to Hell.

L Gilbert
Rein carnation? It's a flower, isn't it?

Come back as a witch then, Jack.

Cliffy
I once went to a holloween party as a bishop. When I looked in the mirror, it scared the crap out of me. It was like deja vu.

El Barto
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

I once went to a holloween party as a bishop. When I looked in the mirror, it scared the crap out of me. It was like deja vu.

Hope that mirror was in the bathroom?

carpenter dave
Quote: Originally Posted by El Barto View Post

Hope that mirror was in the bathroom?

how do you explain that feeling of Dejavue ,never been to a place before but everything seems so familiar ,could this be the answer to reincarnation and an argument that reincarnation does infact exist .Are we to believe that this is the only life we get ,and once its over thats it.
Why are some lifes short lived and others long ,or is that just fate.