Enbridge looks east: N.B. pipeline now a Gateway alternative

Locutus
Al Monaco puts a brave face on the prospects of Enbridge’s Northern Gateway pipeline becoming a reality.

“We’re in the middle of the regulatory process, so I don’t want to presume anything. But we’re optimistic and committed to it,” the company’s new chief executive said over breakfast in Ottawa Wednesday.

Yet he remarked on more than one occasion, “it’s not just about Gateway,” as if he’s resigned to the idea Enbridge’s plan to build a pipeline to connect Canada’s supply of heavy crude to demand in Asia is doomed to failure, thanks to the opposition.

Enbridge’s strategy is to diversify Canada’s markets, so it is no longer a price taker — a captive supplier selling heavy crude to the U.S. market at a discount that costs the country $60-million a day.

The average discount in the first three quarters of this year was $27 a barrel, which was a major contributor to Canada’s increased deficit.

more

Enbridge looks east: N.B. pipeline now a Northern Gateway alternative | Full Comment | National Post

petros
Didn't some guy post on here a couple weeks ago about a pipeline to the east being next on the table?

Question is, will it go south of the great lakes and then up or???

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Didn't some guy post on here a couple weeks ago about a pipeline to the east being next on the table?

Question is, will it go south of the great lakes and then up or???

Do the facilities exist to refine bitumen in Eastern Canada or the NE US?

I would guess that those refineries would have to be built from the ground-up..... It's one helluva way to get a 5-10 thousand people working at any rate

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Do the facilities exist to refine bitumen in Eastern Canada or the NE US?

I would guess that those refineries would have to be built from the ground-up..... It's one helluva way to get a 5-10 thousand people working at any rate

We have the capacity in the west to pipe upgraded oil to the east but if they wish to build their own, so be it.

New Jersey is one of the locations earmarked for a upgrader.

captain morgan
I just figure that any approval will need to have some piggy-back clauses that offer the indirect bribe(s) to those communities that 'allow' the project

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

I just figure that any approval will need to have some piggy-back clauses that offer the indirect bribe(s) to those communities that 'allow' the project

It'll help calm the waters when Cameco announces it's going to pack up and close Port Hope and Blind River UO3 and U238 processing plants and set up in resource friendly SK.