Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy
An interesting analysis IMHO. Although I'm now gonna try and tear it apart.......
I doubt the USA would have been "overwhelmed" by Jewish refugees, as they could have done the same as Canada, and simply refused to take them in.....with the full compliance of the general population.
You are dead on that the USA used Israel as a counter to Soviet presence in the ME during the Cold War.
But I think you missed the reason for continued American support for Israel, which is, let's face it, very ofter counter-productive to American interest in the region.......I think there are four basic reasons for it:
1. History: the Jewish state used to be the darling of the progressives with the Kibbutz and the powerful Labour party and the fact so many were persecuted by the Nazis, and they were seen as the underdog........I remember the awe, the admiration, the glee at Israeli success in the Six Day War.........little Israel, nation of a devasted ethnic group, the 99 pound guy that was always beaten up, kicks the bully-boy (Egypt) in the kneecaps, and when the bully's buddies come to save him, little Israel pounds the bejesus out of all comers, in very little time....truth or not, that is the "inspiring" vision most Americans had at the time.
2. Ideology: the Jewish state is seen as being "one of us" with a working constitution, a viable robust democratic tradition, a dedication to western values.........they are seen as a natural ally surrounded by vicious Arab despots, the best of which is an actual King, fer God's sake.......worthy of our aid.......
3. Militarily: A dependable foothold in a strategic position. Very strategiic.
4. As Israel was the baby of the intellectual moderate left, it is now the baby of the religious right.......how could any good bible-thumper, be anti-Israel????? Especially one who sees the current clash between Islamo-fascists and the West on purely theological terms, throw in the "God's Chosen People" aspect, WOW! Powerful stuff in avery religious nation ...... It is not the Jewish lobby that influences US policy in this regard nearly as much as it is the Christian lobby.....
Canada should have welcomed the Jewish refugees fleeing Europe and then dispersed them evenly across the country. Its shameful that we used to be so anti-Semitic.
1) Israel won the 1967 war by striking their adversaries without warning and effectively taking out their combined airforces and out flanking their ground troops in multiple simultaneous Pearl harbor like attacks. The war was effectively over the first day. All's fair in love and war right? But Israel can expect their adversaries will behave the same one day especially when it comes to stuff like these 1967 war crimes:
Israel's military was about half the combined strength of their adversaries. But their military was better led, trained and equipped. Their adversaries were disorganized, poorly led and equipped. The element of surprise was probably the deciding factor. Given the events leading up to the war, Israel's sudden attack should have been expected.
2) I guess Canada does have some disturbing parallels with Israel. We also have different categories of rights for different people, although not as extreme as Israel or for the same purpose. First Nations people have more rights than other Canadians, but that's due to treaties and agreements which led to Canada's creation. We also took lands by force and practiced ethnic cleansing. But that's old history and we've since moved on to paying compensation and settling disputes peacefully. Hopefully Israel will also evolve to this point one day.
3) What exactly are the strategic benefits of supporting Israel? You make that statement like its a fact, yet you fail to provide examples of any benefits.
Israel costs the US multiple billions a year in American military and economic support for Israel, as well as billions more in annual bribes to Egypt and Jordan to maintain the peace.
If any of the pro-Israel Arab dictatorships including Jordan ever became true democracies, the people would demand justice and freedom for Palestinians, break ties with Israel and eventually start a war which would would end in a nuclear holocaust and Israel's destruction.
If Israel fell into the hands of their adversaries, how would that affect the security of Europe, Canada, or the US? Israel's existance creates security and economic problems for Canada, the US and Europe.
Now that said, I don't support Israel being taken over by their adversaries. It would result in a huge humanitarian catastrophe. Their adversaries would likely be merciless and take out decades of anger on Israeli civilians. That's probably Israel's longterm fate, but I don't wish such things on anyone. When the inevitable happens, I hope Canada will not turn their backs on Jewish refugees like we did in the past. That would be disgraceful.
But please explain the benefits to Israel to Canada or the West. Something which would justify our "unshakeable" support for their leader's "measured" responses and billions in military and economic support. Seems to me Israel's existance creates more problems than it solves.
4) Please feel free to worship whoever or whatever you want. But as an agnostic infidel, I find religious excuses to justify commiting war crimes and crimes against humanity particularly repugnant. As a result of relgious beliefs (Zionism) which led to Israel's creation, 4.6 million people live as nationless refugees without rights permanently dependent on humanitarian relief. Zionist ethnic cleansing cannot be justified by any Christian or Jewish scripture. In fact Zionism has created and perpetuates an ongoing humanitarian catastrophe of biblical proportions.