Are delicatessans a ripoff?


JLM
#1
I've come to the conclusion that one of the biggest ripoffs in the grocery department today are delicatessans. You can pay up to $2 per 100 grams (less than 1/4 lb.) for meat a lot of which isn't particularly healthy. By the same token you can buy a whole roast for under $10 and slice off lots of sandwich meat which is healthy. Should we start boycotting delicatessans?
 
CDNBear
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I've come to the conclusion that one of the biggest ripoffs in the grocery department today are delicatessans. You can pay up to $2 per 100 grams (less than 1/4 lb.) for meat a lot of which isn't particularly healthy. By the same token you can buy a whole roast for under $10 and slice off lots of sandwich meat which is healthy. Should we start boycotting delicatessans?

I've been boycotting deli's for years. We make our own sausage and cured meats. The initial cost, is paid off in no time.

Not to mention, you can choose the cuts you wish to use, the beef or pork you prefer, be it organic or whatever. And wild game only makes it that much better.
 
taxslave
#3
No doubt they are a rip off but the quality of meat in the prepackaged section leaves much to be desired.
 
JLM
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

I've been boycotting deli's for years. We make our own sausage and cured meats. The initial cost, is paid off in no time.

Not to mention, you can choose the cuts you wish to use, the beef or pork you prefer, be it organic or whatever. And wild game only makes it that much better.

I hear you. I kind of thought this is something the public at large may want to take a closer look at. You hear so much about how people are struggling financially, which doesn't hold a lot of water, when they can squander $9 a lb. to make a sandwich.
 
TenPenny
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I've come to the conclusion that one of the biggest ripoffs in the grocery department today are delicatessans. You can pay up to $2 per 100 grams (less than 1/4 lb.) for meat a lot of which isn't particularly healthy. By the same token you can buy a whole roast for under $10 and slice off lots of sandwich meat which is healthy. Should we start boycotting delicatessans?

Typically, the meat you buy at the deli counter is ready to eat. It's not always wise to buy a roast and slice off a bit to eat, although it is possible.

Any time you pay someone else to cook your food, you are paying more than if you do it yourself.
 
karrie
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I've come to the conclusion that one of the biggest ripoffs in the grocery department today are delicatessans. You can pay up to $2 per 100 grams (less than 1/4 lb.) for meat a lot of which isn't particularly healthy. By the same token you can buy a whole roast for under $10 and slice off lots of sandwich meat which is healthy. Should we start boycotting delicatessans?

How about you just eat according to what you find to be healthy for you? Occasional deli meats are neither outlandishly expensive, nor are they overly unhealthy. If they are how you're trying to get your 8 ounces of meat in a day, then I can see where you'd run into an issue, but a sandwich here and there shouldn't be a big deal. I see no reason to boycott something that is fine in moderation, both price wise and health wise.
 
JLM
#7
[QUOTE=TenPenny;1290315]Typically, the meat you buy at the deli counter is ready to eat. It's not always wise to buy a roast and slice off a bit to eat, although it is possible.

QUOTE]

Why is that?
 
Liberalman
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I've come to the conclusion that one of the biggest ripoffs in the grocery department today are delicatessans. You can pay up to $2 per 100 grams (less than 1/4 lb.) for meat a lot of which isn't particularly healthy. By the same token you can buy a whole roast for under $10 and slice off lots of sandwich meat which is healthy. Should we start boycotting delicatessans?

Anybody can make anything at home for a lot cheaper than a deli but people still go to deli's.

Deli's are impulse buys at grocery stores and the cost is that much because most people are willing to pay that much
 
karrie
#9
[QUOTE=JLM;1290320]
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Typically, the meat you buy at the deli counter is ready to eat. It's not always wise to buy a roast and slice off a bit to eat, although it is possible.

QUOTE]

Why is that?

it's raw... he's pointing out that you're paying for cooking, seasoning, etc., as well. A roast is cheaper, but, you have to invest time and energy in cooking it before you can compare it to deli meats.

BTW.... delicatessen's are much cheaper than restaurants, and when hubby travels he manages to save a LOT of money by frequenting them. So, rip off is a matter of perspective.
 
Sаbine
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

No doubt they are a rip off but the quality of meat in the prepackaged section leaves much to be desired.


Such a beautiful bouquet of various additives can be normally found in deli meats and poultry - NaNO2, C6H7NaO6, C10H12O5, phosphates, MSG, BHT, BHA, a whole bunch of enzymes added to soften deli meats, emulsifiers, flavor enhancers...
I personally never buy it, I love cooking, so sometimes I make deli myself (slightly to medium smoked whole cut meats, poultry, or fish), this kind of food isn't very healthy though, but it doesn't hurt to have a small piece of it from time to time. It's tasty, after all!
 
JLM
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Anybody can make anything at home for a lot cheaper than a deli but people still go to deli's.

Deli's are impulse buys at grocery stores and the cost is that much because most people are willing to pay that much

No doubt but are these the same people who are complaining about being cash strapped or amazed at their cholesterol level? A lot of that meat is spiced to the hilt to prevent it from getting more rotten than it already is.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sаbine View Post

Such a beautiful bouquet of various additives can be normally found in deli meats and poultry - NaNO2, C6H7NaO6, C10H12O5, phosphates, MSG, BHT, BHA, a whole bunch of enzymes added to soften deli meats, emulsifiers, flavor enhancers...
I personally never buy it, I love cooking, so sometimes I make deli myself (slightly to medium smoked whole cut meats, poultry, or fish), this kind of food isn't very healthy though, but it doesn't hurt to have a small piece of it from time to time. It's tasty, after all!

Wise you are.
 
Niflmir
#12
There is no prepackaged meat here in Germany, or very little at the grocery stores I go to. So I always have to ask for whatever I want at the counter.

On the plus side, they have an amazing selection of sausage.
 
Sаbine
#13
I have an impression that in grocery stores, everything unsold and approached its expiration date (meats, poultry, fish) is processed, roasted, or smoked, basically to convert these ready to rot products into deli foods.
 
karrie
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Sаbine View Post

I have an impression that in grocery stores, everything unsold and approached its expiration date (meats, poultry, fish) is processed, roasted, or smoked, basically to convert these ready to rot products into deli foods.

That would take a ridiculous amount of effort on the part of sandwich meat manufacturers. None of our sandwich meats (which is what JLM was mainly addressing), are made at the grocer. They are bought elsewhere. Meat that's borderline usually just gets marked down and snatched up by people who know they'll cook it that same day.
 
petros
#15
JLM. If you like cold cuts go buy a whole salami in the meat dept and take it to the deli counter and they will slice it for you saving you even more on nitrate meats.
 
JLM
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

JLM. If you like cold cuts go buy a whole salami in the meat dept and take it to the deli counter and they will slice it for you saving you even more on nitrate meats.

My preferences are good head cheese and good summer sausage (Hickory farms is a good brand of summer sausage and worth the price.) Most head cheese has too much gelatin for my liking.
 
Sаbine
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

That would take a ridiculous amount of effort on the part of sandwich meat manufacturers. None of our sandwich meats (which is what JLM was mainly addressing), are made at the grocer. They are bought elsewhere. Meat that's borderline usually just gets marked down and snatched up by people who know they'll cook it that same day.

I see. But what do they do with a meat product if it's still unsold? I just cannot believe they would simply discard it.
 
karrie
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Sаbine View Post

I see. But what do they do with a meat product if it's still unsold? I just cannot believe they would simply discard it.

It's cheaper to discard it than face action if they make someone sick, or risk being shut down altogether.
 
petros
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

My preferences are good head cheese and good summer sausage (Hickory farms is a good brand of summer sausage and worth the price.) Most head cheese has too much gelatin for my liking.

I love a good head cheese too. Make your own. It's not that hard at all. If boiling hocks isn't your thing just use a box of Knox.
 
Chiliagon
#20
I don't know if I'd agree about the boycotting part.

Afterall, if you ask the right questions you might just find what you are looking for. I did, I found Piri Piri Chicken. It's yummy, some spice.. and the calories on it are so much less than on like Roasted Ham, and so on. they estimate roughly 15 calories per slice.

It's healthy as far as i'm concerned.
 
VanIsle
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I've come to the conclusion that one of the biggest ripoffs in the grocery department today are delicatessans. You can pay up to $2 per 100 grams (less than 1/4 lb.) for meat a lot of which isn't particularly healthy. By the same token you can buy a whole roast for under $10 and slice off lots of sandwich meat which is healthy. Should we start boycotting delicatessans?

Any roast I buy for under $10.00 would make darn few sandwiches and I have to take my time and electricity costs into that as well. I cannot get the variety I can at the deli either. I hate deli meat but my husband takes a lunch 16 days a month and he likes it. He doesn't eat deli meat 16 days but probably at least 8 of those days.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sаbine View Post

I have an impression that in grocery stores, everything unsold and approached its expiration date (meats, poultry, fish) is processed, roasted, or smoked, basically to convert these ready to rot products into deli foods.

The meat is delivered to the store from far away places. What ever gives you the idea that any store has the time or equipment to do what you say. That's a good joke though. Dated foods hit the trash just as dented cans do. If you buy a dented can that's up to you but if you leave it at the till because you notice a dent when you get there - it's returned to the manufacturer. Out dated dairy products are tossed. If the person shelving dairy products sees that the dates are almost up the mark down is huge. They don't mark down deli products. Massive amounts of deli meats are purchased by shoppers because most people, school kids especially, have bagged lunches these days. Sorry but I am astonished that anyone would come up with the impression you have. Out of all the shoppers I came across, I never once heard another person allude to anything like that.
 
petros
#22
What I'd like to know is why is a heat lamp chicken cheaper than a raw one?
 
karrie
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

What I'd like to know is why is a heat lamp chicken cheaper than a raw one?

They're usually smaller, and they can buy them in bulk.
 
petros
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

They're usually smaller, and they can buy them in bulk.

They already buy fryers in bulk and they are sold by age to the retailer not by weight. If anything they are utility grade like those turkeys that sell for 99 cents an lb. I prefer birds that haven't been ran over by a truck then microwaved.

I forgot about utility.
 
karrie
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

They already buy fryers in bulk and they are sold by age to the retailer not by weight. If anything they are utility grade like those turkeys that sell for 99 cents an lb. I prefer birds that haven't been ran over by a truck then microwaved.

I forgot about utility.

lol... microwaved? Buy them from a decent store where you can see their rotisserie.
 
petros
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

lol... microwaved? Buy them from a decent store where you can see their rotisserie.

The rotisserie is just for show and the reason they look golden and roasted is paprika.
 
karrie
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

The rotisserie is just for show and the reason they look golden and roasted is paprika.


lol... you apparently don't shop during the day. I see fresh, raw, chickens go into the rotisserie on a regular basis. Find new places to shop. lol.
 
Chiliagon
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

lol... you apparently don't shop during the day. I see fresh, raw, chickens go into the rotisserie on a regular basis. Find new places to shop. lol.

do they at least chop of their heads and skin them first??
 
karrie
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by cflisthebest View Post

do they at least chop of their heads and skin them first??

heads yes, skin no... rotisserie chicken would be pretty nasty dry with no skin...
 
petros
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

lol... you apparently don't shop during the day. I see fresh, raw, chickens go into the rotisserie on a regular basis. Find new places to shop. lol.

My daughter works at Safeway and does the nuking.