WWII veteran who raised £16 million for the NHS may be knighted

Blackleaf
He did his bit for his country in the jungles of Burma. Now, 80 years on, he's doing his bit for his country again...

TOM'S TRIUMPH I’m a big fan of the Queen… I’d love to meet her, says Captain Tom after knighthood petition passes 800,000

Mike Ridley Jonathan Reilly
16 Apr 2020
The Sun

CAPTAIN Tom Moore’s astonishing NHS fundraiser hit £16 million last night — as the nation applauded our brave medics for a fourth week.

World War Two hero Tom, 99, completed 100 laps of his garden on a walking frame, then vowed to carry on.

PM Boris Johnson, recovering from the virus, rang to tell him: “You are an inspiration.”

Prince William wrote to Tom and made an undisclosed donation.

Downing Street even hinted at a knighthood, saying: “The Prime Minister will be looking at ways to recognise Tom and his efforts.”

Tom said: “I’d be amazed to have such an honour and meet our absolutely marvellous Queen. It’s unbelievable that it could happen.

Holding up The Sun, he added: “I’m a huge fan of everything Her Majesty has done for this country.

“I don’t think I’m a global phenomenon at all — just a grandad doing some laps of his garden.”

Wiping away tears, he added: “It’s out of this world. I never dreamt I’d be involved in such an occasion. This is for all the people finding it difficult at this moment.

“You’ve all been very brave. It’s difficult to be penned up in such a small space for such a long time. Good for you.

“Remember we will get through it. It might take time but at the end of the day we will all be OK. The sun will shine on you again and the clouds will go away.”

Tom went on: “I am going to keep walking because I know that I have the incredible British public behind me every step of the way.”

His efforts are enough to provide NHS heroes with more than 114million pairs of protective gloves or five million hospital gowns.

Ellie Orton, of NHS Charities Together, said: “We are astounded. Tom’s contribution will make a huge difference to the wellbeing of staff, volunteers and patients.

“If it was up to us we’d knight him tomorrow. Thank you Tom.”

More than 800,000 have signed an online petition calling for “Sir Tom”. Tom, who turns 100 on April 30, only planned to raise £1,000.

By yesterday morning he had £12.5million in pledges — £500 for each of his 2,500 steps on the 80ft loop of his garden in Marston Moretaine, Bedfordshire.

Tom wore the three medals he earned for fighting the Japanese in Burma, and soldiers from 1st Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment formed a guard of honour as he completed his last lap at 8.30am.

He beamed: “It is a fantastic sum of money it’s unbelievable that people could be so kind.

“We’re in such a strange time but I try to think about positives — the stories I read of people helping each other, communities coming together, neighbours being kind.

“My nephew Adam is a doctor and I couldn’t be prouder to clap for him and the other workers.”

Tom’s favourite singer Michael Ball sang You’ll Never Walk Alone on BBC Breakfast and told him: “It’s an extraordinary achievement.”

Forces’ sweetheart Dame Vera Lynn, 103, sent Tom a signed letter saying: “What a wonderful and astonishing achievement. Can you tell me how you do it!!”

Vera Lynn has lent her support to Tom

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...5-million/amp/

Mockingbird
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

He did his bit for his country in the jungles of Burma. Now, 80 years on, he's doing his bit for his country again...
TOM'S TRIUMPH I’m a big fan of the Queen… I’d love to meet her, says Captain Tom after knighthood petition passes 800,000
Mike Ridley Jonathan Reilly
16 Apr 2020
The Sun
CAPTAIN Tom Moore’s astonishing NHS fundraiser hit £16 million last night — as the nation applauded our brave medics for a fourth week.
World War Two hero Tom, 99, completed 100 laps of his garden on a walking frame, then vowed to carry on.

PM Boris Johnson, recovering from the virus, rang to tell him: “You are an inspiration.”
Prince William wrote to Tom and made an undisclosed donation.
Downing Street even hinted at a knighthood, saying: “The Prime Minister will be looking at ways to recognise Tom and his efforts.”
Tom said: “I’d be amazed to have such an honour and meet our absolutely marvellous Queen. It’s unbelievable that it could happen.
Holding up The Sun, he added: “I’m a huge fan of everything Her Majesty has done for this country.
“I don’t think I’m a global phenomenon at all — just a grandad doing some laps of his garden.”
Wiping away tears, he added: “It’s out of this world. I never dreamt I’d be involved in such an occasion. This is for all the people finding it difficult at this moment.
“You’ve all been very brave. It’s difficult to be penned up in such a small space for such a long time. Good for you.
“Remember we will get through it. It might take time but at the end of the day we will all be OK. The sun will shine on you again and the clouds will go away.”
Tom went on: “I am going to keep walking because I know that I have the incredible British public behind me every step of the way.”
His efforts are enough to provide NHS heroes with more than 114million pairs of protective gloves or five million hospital gowns.
Ellie Orton, of NHS Charities Together, said: “We are astounded. Tom’s contribution will make a huge difference to the wellbeing of staff, volunteers and patients.
“If it was up to us we’d knight him tomorrow. Thank you Tom.”
More than 800,000 have signed an online petition calling for “Sir Tom”. Tom, who turns 100 on April 30, only planned to raise £1,000.
By yesterday morning he had £12.5million in pledges — £500 for each of his 2,500 steps on the 80ft loop of his garden in Marston Moretaine, Bedfordshire.
Tom wore the three medals he earned for fighting the Japanese in Burma, and soldiers from 1st Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment formed a guard of honour as he completed his last lap at 8.30am.
He beamed: “It is a fantastic sum of money it’s unbelievable that people could be so kind.
“We’re in such a strange time but I try to think about positives — the stories I read of people helping each other, communities coming together, neighbours being kind.
“My nephew Adam is a doctor and I couldn’t be prouder to clap for him and the other workers.”
Tom’s favourite singer Michael Ball sang You’ll Never Walk Alone on BBC Breakfast and told him: “It’s an extraordinary achievement.”
Forces’ sweetheart Dame Vera Lynn, 103, sent Tom a signed letter saying: “What a wonderful and astonishing achievement. Can you tell me how you do it!!”

Vera Lynn has lent her support to Tom
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...5-million/amp/

Great story, very touching.

Tecumsehsbones
I do hope they elevate Captain Tom to Sir Thomas.

Sadly, they better get on it pretty damn quick.

Blackleaf
Coronavirus: Captain Tom Moore passes £22m in NHS fundraising

A 99-year-old World War II veteran has been left "speechless" after raising more than £22m for the NHS.

Capt Tom Moore originally aimed to raise just £1,000 for NHS Charities Together by completing 100 laps of his garden before his 100th birthday.

The Duke of Cambridge hailed him as a "one-man fundraising machine".

His daughter Hannah Ingram-Moore said: "There are no words left to say. We cannot believe people's generosity and he's just floored by it."

'A-list celebrity'

Ms Ingram-Moore continued: "We're all speechless. It's not even two weeks since this started. We're just working our socks off supporting him and this phenomenon.

"Yesterday we did 35 interviews and another 17 today but the Yorkshireman takes it all in his stride.

"He's become an A-list celebrity. I'm just the sidekick."

More than a million people have now made donations to his JustGiving page.

And more than half a million people have called for Capt Tom to be knighted in a petition to the Honours Committee.

The petition, which was set up earlier this week, has received more than 680,000 signatures after his efforts grabbed the nation's attention.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said he is looking at ways to recognise his "heroic efforts".

As he finished the challenge on Thursday, having raised about £14m, Capt Tom said it was "an absolutely fantastic sum of money".

In a tweet, he said he would be doing "less walking" on Friday but would be talking to TV channels in the United States, Argentina, Europe and the Middle East.

Speaking to BBC Radio 2 he said the sum of money was "absolutely enormous" and "very difficult to imagine". He also thanked everyone who had donated for their support.

"I say thank you very much indeed. I appreciate it because the object for which we're donating is so important and so necessary... I think you're all so kind and thoughtful contributing to this cause," he said.

The total includes an undisclosed donation from the Duke of Cambridge, who, with the Duchess of Cambridge, recorded a special video message for the veteran.

Prince William said: "It's amazing and what I love also is that he's a 99-year-old war vet.

"He's been around a long time, he knows everything and it's wonderful that everyone has been inspired by his story and his determination.

"He's a one-man fundraising machine and God knows what the final total will be. But good on him, and I hope it keeps going."

In response, Capt Tom said: "It's absolutely amazing that my super prince can say something like that."

He also said it was "a moment we will never forget".

Capt Tom, who is originally from Keighley in West Yorkshire, has seemingly risen from nowhere to the status of near national treasure.

Keighley Town Council has tweeted that it will "honour the fundraising hero" with the freedom of the town.

Capt Tom began raising funds to thank NHS staff who helped him with treatment for cancer and a broken hip.

With the aid of a walking frame, he completed 100 laps of the 25-metre (82ft) loop in his garden in Marston Moretaine, Bedfordshire, in 10-lap chunks well before his birthday on 30 April.

NHS Charities Together said it was "truly inspired and humbled" by his efforts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...herts-52333127

Blackleaf
You'll Never Walk Alone: Captain Tom Moore's charity single with Michael Ball goes straight to top of iTunes - pipping Vera Lynn - as hero's fundraising passes £23 million

After capturing the hearts of the nation, Captain Tom has joined forces with Michael Ball to create their own heartwarming version of You'll Never Walk Alone. The pair recorded a version of the song, which also features the NHS Voices of Care Choir and a spoken word introduction from Capt Moore, who says: 'Hold your head up high/And don't be afraid of the dark.' The song has already climbed to the top of the iTunes chart in time for the WWII veteran's 100th birthday on April 30.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nes-chart.html

Blackleaf

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WdjMkkPf3h4

Blackleaf
Another song riding high in the charts, by two Forces' Sweethearts:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BbLAtgUpl2g
Last edited by Blackleaf; Apr 18th, 2020 at 08:06 PM..

Blackleaf

WWII veteran Captain Tom Moore has won the hearts of the nation as he aimed to walk 100 laps of his garden by the time he turned 100 years old at the end of April. He originally hoped to raise £1000 for the NHS but after completing his walk he was already raised over £26 million. The 99-year-old veteran has been congratulated by Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who is himself recovering from Covid-19, and Dame Vera Lynn.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NToWrwb32LY

Blackleaf
Hero fundraiser Tom Moore, a 99-year-old war veteran, has opened a new Nightingale hospital in Harrogate.

Capt Tom, who raised over £27m by walking around his garden 100 times, appeared by video link at the opening ceremony.

The facility at Harrogate Convention Centre will have 500 beds.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SPGa30B3X3I

Blackleaf
A musical tribute to a new British national hero

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NXRvVfUezKE

gerryh
Sad that you need a 99 yr old war veteran to help fund the NHS.

Blackleaf
Captain Tom Moore's NHS appeal tops £32m on 100th birthday

BBC News
30th April 2020

Captions Tom Moore is celebrating his 100th birthday today in style

The appeal by NHS fundraiser Captain Tom Moore topped £32m as he celebrated his 100th birthday.

The war veteran, who raised the money by walking laps of his garden, has also been made an honorary colonel.

The occasion was also marked with an RAF flypast and birthday greetings from the Queen and prime minister.

With celebrations under way, Capt Tom said everyone who donated was "magnificent" as the fund reached £30m on Thursday morning.

Head of the Army General Sir Mark Carleton-Smith called Capt Tom "an inspirational role model".

Capt Tom said it was "extraordinary" to be turning 100, especially with "this many well-wishers".

An RAF flypast marked Captain Tom Moore's 100th birthday; Squadron Leader Mark Sugden described what it was like to fly them

Capt Tom was spending most of the day self-isolating with his daughter Hannah Ingram-Moore and her family at his home in Marston Moretaine, Bedfordshire.

"Reaching 100 is quite something. Reaching 100 with such interest in me and huge generosity from the public is very overwhelming," he said.

"People keep saying what I have done is remarkable. However, it's actually what you have done for me which is remarkable.

"Please always remember, tomorrow will be a good day."

Captain Tom Moore received a personalised card from the Queen for his 100th birthday

Capt Tom, who was recently treated for a broken hip and skin cancer, initially aimed to raise £1,000 for NHS Charities Together and said he set about raising the money "for the sake of the nurses and the NHS we have, because they are doing such a magnificent job".

His donations page will close at midnight but Capt Tom said people could still give money directly to the charity via their urgent appeal.

The charity's chief executive Ellie Orton said "what he has achieved will make a lasting difference".

"We cannot thank him enough for all that he's achieved and we wish him a very happy birthday, and look forward to continuing to ensure that what he's done is used to improve the lives of the NHS staff and volunteers that are giving so much to their communities at the moment," she said.

Among the thousands of birthday greetings was a personalised card from the Queen.

"I am so pleased to know that you are celebrating your one hundredth birthday," she wrote.

"I was also most interested to hear of your recent fundraising efforts for NHS Charities Together at this difficult time.

"I send my congratulations and best wishes to you on such a special occasion. Elizabeth R."

HM Lord-Lieutenant of Bedfordshire Helen Nellis presented Capt Tom with a 100th birthday card from Her Majesty the Queen

Prime Minister Boris Johnson recorded a special message in which he said the veteran was "a point of light in all our lives".

"I know I speak for the whole nation when I say we wish you a very happy 100th birthday," he said.

"Your heroic efforts have lifted the spirits of the entire nation, you've created a channel to enable millions to say a heartfelt thank you to the remarkable men and women in our NHS who have all been doing the most outstanding job."

Capt Tom said it was "really outstanding" to get a message from Mr Johnson.

Capt Tom was informed of his promotion to honorary colonel in a letter presented by Lt Col Thomas Miller, commanding officer of the 1st Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment, at his home.

Birthday cards have been sent to Capt Tom from all over the world

The Army said Chief of the General Staff, Sir Mark, who made the appointment, said Capt Tom's "mature wisdom, no-nonsense attitude and humour in adversity make him an inspirational role model to generations."

Capt Tom said he was "very moved" by the honour because to get that honorary rank in his regiment is "something we would never, ever anticipate".

"I'm still Captain Tom, that's who I really am but if people choose to call me colonel, well, thank you very much."

The centenarian was also presented with a replacement World War Two Defence Medal ahead of next week's VE Day celebrations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...herts-52472132
Last edited by Blackleaf; Apr 30th, 2020 at 01:41 PM..

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Sad that you need a 99 yr old war veteran to help fund the NHS.

I bet you're sad he didn't raise £32 million to help end Canada's PPE shortage.

Blackleaf
https://youtu.be/SAG_Vr86iyI

Blackleaf
Capt Tom Moore on gameshow Blankety Blank in 1983 aged 63, hosted by Sir Terry Wogan: https://youtu.be/lN4UmP5hb3Y

gerryh
+1
#16  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

I bet you're sad he didn't raise £32 million to help end Canada's PPE shortage.

We dont have ppe shortage. Many canadian manufacturers stepped up to the plate and our government was able to secure the needed supply. We didnt have to rely on a 99 yr old war veteran to bail us out.