US Drone Strike Kills Two US Soldiers in Afghanistan

JBeee
*hmmm...I wonder how much cash will the families recieve from military as compensation?*

Jason Ditz
April 11, 2011

The ridiculous inaccuracy of the US drone strikes in Afghanistan and Pakistan has taken another turn for the worse. Reports are now emerging that a US drone strike in Helmand Province actually killed two US soldiers. The official explanation is that they were mistaken for Taliban,

US air strikes mistaking Afghan police or soldiers for Taliban are fairly common, and sometimes US aircraft will see a bunch of children gathering firewood and think “Taliban.” Having US drones firing US missiles at US soldiers leaves one wondering how little confirmation is actually needed before missiles are fired.

The Pentagon has yet to confirm the story, but says the killings are under investigation. They confirmed the deaths in Helmand but never explained how they happened. According to the reports US Marines on the ground had come under fire called for backup and, when the backup troops approached them, called in the strike.

Air strikes have dramatically escalated in Afghanistan over the past several months, since Gen. David Petraeus took over the command of the war and removed a number of restrictions put in place by Gen. Stanley McChrystal. Since then the number of high profile civilian killing incidents has also soared.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by JBeee View Post

*hmmm...I wonder how much cash will the families recieve from military as compensation?*

Don't we give the solders a pension that covers them to the age of 65, especially if they die in a combat zone? The US also has a family rate, sad to say.

"high profile civilian killing incidents" targeting specific civilians is a war crime, Israel they just avoided the same charge as far as an individual soldier is concerned. A drone pilot is on the ground, he is a soldier not a pilot. (by saying soldier specifically they didn't lie as it is Mossad that targets civilians, their 'SAS' squad had targets when the blockade boarding took place.
Last edited by MHz; Apr 12th, 2011 at 06:50 AM..

BaalsTears
I don't think JBeee cares about dead Americans.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTears View Post

I don't think JBeee cares about dead Americans.

JBeee, is exercising his rights to free speech.

he doesn't care how offensive he is.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
Why does this story not surprise me?

The US has such a long history of friendly fire incidents it is no longer worth the OMG reaction. It is more like what took them so long to do it again?

JBeee
Still no mention of the incident from US state-run tv, CNN. *hmmm*

Highball
War is nasty and vicious. I've been in two combat assignments and what happens when the shooting starts or the artillery shells fall or worse yet bombs from the sky arrive at the wrong place intended; it is tragic and also a needless lose of life and/or limb for anyone in the area occurs. Projectiles and bombs don't discriminate. Take it from me, you never are the same person when one returns from these kinds of hellish assignments. Just see one little child on fire from a Napalm attack and you'll never lose that horrendous sight!

ironsides
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by JBeee View Post

Still no mention of the incident from US state-run tv, CNN. *hmmm*

What are you talking about, it was mentioned on all the news networks.
Take Yahoo this off Yahoo for example.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110412/wl_sthasia_afp/afghanistanunrestusmilitarydrone