What should be the International Olympic Committee's official language policy?

View Poll Results: What should be the IOC's official language policy?
French, English, and the local or national language, as is now the case. 16 39.02%
The local or national language only. 5 12.20%
The national and local indigenous languages. 0 0%
The six official languages of the UN plus the local or national language if different. 1 2.44%
An international auxiliary language like Esperanto plus the dominant local language. 14 34.15%
Other answer. 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

whatever choice the IOC makes ...

I can agree with that... along with making the IOC financially independent of any government funding.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

DOOOOO it in english and french

Only? I'm assuming you would include the local language of the games too, no?

L Gilbert
Klingon.

JLM
English only period.

El Barto
I wonder if anyone here would of complained if it was strictly english.
I seriously doubt they would have .

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by El Barto View Post

Well, then that should settle it..........

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by El Barto View Post

Of course not. We're all English-speakers here.Somehow I doubt the IOC, based in Lausanne, Switzerland, would be too fond of the idea. I can also think of a few countries that are quite sensitive to language as a matter of national pride (e.g. Italy, Poland, Hungary, Brazil, France, and that's just a few of those I know of). A number of countries would insists on their national languages being included.

Now if you're talking about the Vancouver Olympics specifically, then it would be more accurate to say the local language, since obviously the local language will vary from place to place. And should English be included at Olympic events in non-English-speaking countries?

I'm not saying I have the answer, but to just say English is a tad bit simplistic when you consider the symbolism that language carries with it, whether we want it to or not.

Machjo
Personally, I think the fairest solution would be to include the language of the hosting-city's choice followed by an international auxiliary language. It would be hard to complain about including the local language, obviously. And to cater to the international community without giving any one national or ethnic group an unfair advantage over others, include a language that is easy to learn by design as the second language, so as to not offend local sentiments.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

Personally, I think the fairest solution would be to include the language of the hosting-city's choice followed by an international auxiliary language. It would be hard to complain about including the local language, obviously. And to cater to the international community without giving any one national or ethnic group an unfair advantage over others, include a language that is easy to learn by design as the second language, so as to not offend local sentiments.

Yep, two languages is a good idea - English and English

TimeToVote
Come on guys... WHO decided to make it French 1st in CANADA? WTF?!
We get French shoved down our throats unuff here in Canada, we don't need to have it in the Olympics too! Gesus this makes me mad... "they" think they are so special, if it wasn't for the MILLIONS of tax payers dollars that the CDN Gov't dumped into QUE we wouldnt see one french speaking puke at the Olympics... IMHO

Time To Vote "again" if you ask me...

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by TimeToVote View Post

We get French shoved down our throats unuff here in Canada, we don't need to have it in the Olympics too! Gesus this makes me mad... "they" think they are so special, if it wasn't for the MILLIONS of tax payers dollars that the CDN Gov't dumped into QUE we wouldnt see one french speaking puke at the Olympics... IMHO

French is the OIC language

Ron in Regina
There is a precedence (outside of Canada) going back several Olympic Games.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Yep, two languages is a good idea - English and English

Hmmm... you just repeated yourself there. Sleep-deprived?

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

Other than English, the two most widely spoken languages used at the coast are Hindi and Chinese, not French.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

I agree that there are many countries capable of hosting the games - winter or summer. The idea is that there would be permanent facilities that could be shared by all countries of the world thus cutting the intial costs of hosting the games.

That is a sensible solution but it's boring. People would lose interest after one or two years only and the Olympians would have little more than their own families attending.

VanIsle
I think I heard a sensible response to the "French first" thing tonight. Kind of like when the Anthem is sung at a hockey game. The end of it gets drowned out. If English was first, and French second, then no one would have heard it in French - the cheering for the opening would have begun and the French would have been drowned out. Oh I know that some of you are going to say that's great but it isn't. We are a bi-lingual country and we must respect that. If some of the people in Quebec don't respect that and the government there is so small minded as to refuse to allow signs etc. in English - then - good on us. We are the better/bigger part of the part of the country for it, even if we are not as large in population.

damngrumpy
No I didn't vote, there was no place for English only. Airlines around the world use the English language Olympics should do the same. As for the games, there should
be a Summer Games somewhere, but where? The Winter same thing as long as it's
not here. I hope we never see another overpriced spectacle on our soil.
The bloody games are a financial disaster and the preparation is lousy, the snow
isn't there and the event should have been held some where else in this province
not at the bowl. Wait till we wake up to the fact we have billions to pay with nothing
to show for it. Who cares what language they use? I think if this is the best we could
do we should all just be quiet. The world thinks we are incompetent.

JLM
"No I didn't vote, there was no place for English only"- I made that point subtly in post 40 but it obviously went right over one poster's head. In Canada we have 13 geographical divisions, French is predominant in one of them so the very most consideration French should get is 1/13 or a little less than 8%. I was back in Quebec in '67- they are a little too pushy for my liking.

Curiosity
I voted for whatever languages the IOC decides

I wonder how the people of Greece feel about language choices? Most nations aren't favored by attending in person and rely on television to show them the games - and the national language would be the predominant one for the viewers
anyway...

I wanted to add that sometimes no language is needed to see the sweet smiles, the great fist pumps of success, the tears of error and loss, and the brave courage of the athletes right before they begin their historical journey into each event ....

The adrenline must be as thick as the fog there.

I would like to say B.C. has done a beautiful job with the venues in spite of that old weather which is so much a part of the outdoor venues, but fog, rain, sleet, nothing can dampen the spirits I see on the faces of the crowds....

It is one of the most professional Olympics I can remember and I hope Canadians are proudly taking their share of the congratulations.... for a job well done!

I will be sad to see it over.....it is wonderful watching all the nations joined together in peace and competition instead of shooting and violence. One of my favorite things to see is the athletes exchanging mementos of their home nation with the other athletes....

I hope some day we can all live in a world like the games present to us ...
Curio

darkbeaver
Shooting and violence are the fundamentals of competition. We most certainly already live in a meaningless world like the Olympics present to us. No where can monumental waste be observed as at the Olympics, if a fraction of that sweat was appointed to constructive cooperative exercise we would surely prosper as humans. As it is it represents nothing more than the martial qualities that are responsible for discord and envy. It is this enchantment in the crust of life that prevents us from sampling the filling.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by TimeToVote View Post

Coming from a Franco-Albertan family, with no links to Quebec, and having married INTO a Franco-Albertan family as well, I'd like to say.... stuff it. Quebec is not the only source of French in this country.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Coming from a Franco-Albertan family, with no links to Quebec, and having married INTO a Franco-Albertan family as well, I'd like to say.... stuff it. Quebec is not the only source of French in this country.

Yep, here in B.C. we have Little Quebec (Maillardville), population approx. 50,000

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Yep, here in B.C. we have Little Quebec (Maillardville), population approx. 50,000

Given the insane reaction of so many BC'ers over this I'd almost swear you don't let the francos over the border. lol.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Given the insane reaction of so many BC'ers over this I'd almost swear you don't let the francos over the border. lol.

Speaking strictly for myself, Karrie, I don't discriminate with colour, race or creed- just behaviour. I just can't see not allowing someone to erect whatever sign they want on their own property, even if it's written in Upper Mongolian.

gerryh
something many have forgotten, or never knew.

Quote:

When the Calgary Games ended 20 years ago, they were declared an artistic and financial success. Unlike Canada's previous Olympic experience in debt, the 1976 Montreal Summer Games, Calgary turned a huge profit.

Calgary's Olympic legacy - thestar.com

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post

I voted for whatever languages the IOC decides

I wonder how the people of Greece feel about language choices? Most nations aren't favored by attending in person and rely on television to show them the games - and the national language would be the predominant one for the viewers
anyway...

I wanted to add that sometimes no language is needed to see the sweet smiles, the great fist pumps of success, the tears of error and loss, and the brave courage of the athletes right before they begin their historical journey into each event ....

The adrenline must be as thick as the fog there.

I would like to say B.C. has done a beautiful job with the venues in spite of that old weather which is so much a part of the outdoor venues, but fog, rain, sleet, nothing can dampen the spirits I see on the faces of the crowds....

It is one of the most professional Olympics I can remember and I hope Canadians are proudly taking their share of the congratulations.... for a job well done!

I will be sad to see it over.....it is wonderful watching all the nations joined together in peace and competition instead of shooting and violence. One of my favorite things to see is the athletes exchanging mementos of their home nation with the other athletes....

I hope some day we can all live in a world like the games present to us ...
Curio

Well said Curio. I hope we live up to your kind words and praise.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

something many have forgotten, or never knew.

Calgary's Olympic legacy - thestar.com

I knew, I didn't forget but ---VANOC didn't seem to pay enough attention to the details from Calgary and I doubt they will meet with the same success.

gerryh
The reason I brought it up is, I hear a lot of bitching and whining about how the Olympics are ALWAYS a losing proposition for the host Country. Calgary proved that it can be a resounding financial success as well as a cultural and sporting success.

Curiosity
Thanks VanIsle

I understand peoples' concern with the financial repercussions of such an undertaking, but rarely do Olympics succeed as a money-making venture - but
should they be considered primarily for dollars, dinars, or rather diplomacy and friendship among regular people who are not politicians, royals, leaders, but regular folk who share the same problems the world over?

The mingling of strangers from all over the planet competing in wild and wooly sport rather than killing each other carries a message to me far greater than who makes the big bucks.

The dollar aspect is rarely measured in cultural progress, but somehow as these games become larger, more people access them - even some with one athlete on display - make my hopes for the future of humanity soar....

I just can't translate it into money. But that is why I am not wealthy perhaps?

I think there is more value in global understanding and competition than financial profit.
Last edited by Curiosity; Feb 16th, 2010 at 05:53 PM..

gerryh
as I've already pointed out. Calgary managed to pull off a successful Olympics, including financial success.

or is Calgary unique.... a better city? More supportive citizens maybe?