Canadians...Read your history!

NorthrnMystique
How strange it is to find that Canadian history isnt as widely read amongst the Canadian populace as it should.
To build a national consciousness first requires an awareness of that nation. So, I think the first solution would be to just read your bloody history.
Dont say Canadian hisotry is boring. Its not. Those people are too obsessed and mentally colonised by other nations histories to even bother about their own, because they abhore any sense of ''us''.
Read your history Canada and become the people your history says you are!

karrie
I have a hard enough time keeping up on current events and studying for crying out loud!!

MikeyDB
Northrnmystique

It's relatively simple actually...

A band of various European monarchies and hooligans escaping the law in their own nations travelled to the North American continent to pilliage and loot.....

See Spain, France, England etc.

Of course we can't forget Scotland who gave us this absurd idea that the second largest nation in the world could be "united" by building a railroad...while enslaving Chinese of course...

Been down-hill all the way ever since.

L Gilbert
Been reading history. So quit squawking at me. The Hudson's Bay Co. publishes a magazine called "The Beaver" (can the comments; I heard em all before) which is strictly dedicated to stories of Canada's past. So I read about Canada.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDB View Post

Northrnmystique

It's relatively simple actually...

A band of various European monarchies and hooligans escaping the law in their own nations travelled to the North American continent to pilliage and loot.....

See Spain, France, England etc.

Of course we can't forget Scotland who gave us this absurd idea that the second largest nation in the world could be "united" by building a railroad...while enslaving Chinese of course...

Been down-hill all the way ever since.

Wow...this post is actually a prime example and proves the original posters point 100%. If Canadians aren't reading their history...this is what you get.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Been reading history. So quit squawking at me. The Hudson's Bay Co. publishes a magazine called "The Beaver" (can the comments; I heard em all before) which is strictly dedicated to stories of Canada's past. So I read about Canada.

I find you can't really read on CC either without history coming into play in arguments. Sure, it's snippets, but, I find it easier to synthesize when it's in context of a discussion pertaining to modern policy etc.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by NorthrnMystique View Post

How strange it is to find that Canadian history isnt as widely read amongst the Canadian populace as it should.
To build a national consciousness first requires an awareness of that nation. So, I think the first solution would be to just read your bloody history.
Dont say Canadian hisotry is boring. Its not. Those people are too obsessed and mentally colonised by other nations histories to even bother about their own, because they abhore any sense of ''us''.
Read your history Canada and become the people your history says you are!

You are considered a spy if you aren't flying the right flag to go with your location.
If our history is any indication of our future, well, keep your powder dry.
Our conquest for land ended when we hit the Pacific (unlike out neighbors to the south), now we're just trying to sell it off, and to some degree we have had some success.

Dexter Sinister
A good place to start: http://www.operation-dialogue.com/la...00_speech.html

NorthrnMystique
Dear MikeyDB,
In response to your response, I have three words:

Passive Self-Defeatism