130 million children will never have chance to learn to read

sanctus

M ore than 130 million of the world's children will never have the chance to go to school. An estimated 960 million adults are illiterate. These stark facts were outlined at the launch of a new education initiative by Manos Unidas, a Spanish Catholic NGO.
The charity hope their work will help reach the second of the 'Millennium Goals' adopted by the UN: "Universal Primary Instruction". It fits also into the framework of a UN Decade for Primary Instruction (2003-2012) and the 40th anniversary of Pope Paul VI's encyclical Populorum Progressio on the development of peoples which states "basic education is the first objective for any nation seeking to develop itself. Lack of education is as serious as lack of food; the illiterate is a starved spirit" (PP 35).
The goals of the campaign are to offer children the opportunity to go to school and learn to read and write; work effectively to eradicate all forms of child labour and recruitment of child soldiers, prevent children from leaving school early; increased funding for education and better management of these funds; that governments put public expenses education before military expenses.
The charity will be working in Sudan, Ecuador and Cambodia. In Sudan Manos Unidas supports 40 education programmes for displaced persons living in camps in Khartoum, Wau and El Obeid. Manos Unidas volunteers help build schools, train teachers and promote education to peace.
Manos Unidas points out that a one per cent reduction in the world's annual military expenditure would be sufficient to guarantee universal primary education.
Source: Fides

Independent Catholic News 2007

darkbeaver
Maybe that's something Kissenger will advise the pope on. A 1% reduction in the worlds military expendature is definately not going to happen, and the church will never safe the poor and ignorant , it feeds off them and always has.

RomSpaceKnight
Evangelizing and protheslizing or what ever it's called or spelt those Christian Children Funds do grab you buy the old heart strings. Little bare foot darker skinned kids with big dark puppy dog eyes. I may not hold to their medieval beliefs at times but that is a good program. Unfortunately they don't allow one time donations, shame.

A 1% reduction is all it takes. It's got my support. How about a flood of e-mails to our local, regional or national politicians to support it.

How would let's say this online community start a petition? Could we sticky it to keep it front and center?

westmanguy
Education is the key to freedom... If we educate the masses, they refrom their lands.

Thats why people in Africa and other regions are not educated.. because they would rise up against their nations dictators.

Anyways, I put health, shelter, food + nutrition, above education. You need to be alive and well to learn..

Libra Girl
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguy View Post

Education is the key to freedom... If we educate the masses, they refrom their lands.

Thats why people in Africa and other regions are not educated.. because they would rise up against their nations dictators.

Anyways, I put health, shelter, food + nutrition, above education. You need to be alive and well to learn..

Thing is, it's a catch 22... Indeed, one does need health, food, nutrition and shelter; however, in all societies it is mostly the educated that survive!

darkbeaver
The church could sell some of it's property and get this project done, but of course they know that.

Libra Girl
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

The church could sell some of it's property and get this project done, but of course they know that.

I agree darkbeaver. The wealth of denominations worldwide could cure the problem for all time! But, like you, I shan't hold my breath...

hermanntrude
and a 100% reduction would solve all our problems for ever

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguy View Post

I agree Westmanguy. You need a full belly to learn on but these things should go hand in hand so these people can rise up and become free. Give a person a fish and they will eat today. Teach a person to fish and they will always eat. Read a person a book and they will be enlightened. Teach a person to read and they will be forever enlightened.

hermanntrude
give a person a fish and they'll expect more tomorrow, teach a person to fish and the fish stocks will be extinct in twenty years.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrude View Post

give a person a fish and they'll expect more tomorrow, teach a person to fish and the fish stocks will be extinct in twenty years.

We have proven that in Canada.

susane
Whose lives and whose money are they talking about?

http://www.bankonitpal.blogspot.com

There are more stakholders involved than you may think you understand.

Susane.

hermanntrude