MP Maxime Bernier quits 'morally corrupt' Conservatives, plans to start new party

Colpy
+2
I am a Conservative Party member, I supported Bernier for leader, I agree with his views on diversity and supply management.
But there is room in the party for Bernier, and the main goal should be to destroy Trudeau and his incompetent, dangerous gov't. To do that we need to be a "big tent" party, that attracts people with differing views.
You don't always get your way Max.
What this episode demonstrated is twofold:
First, I was wrong to vote for Bernier, as he is obviously a manipulative, narcissistic, weasel of a man. And not very bright. He is not fit to be an MP, much less leader of a party.
Secondly, Scheer is much the superior political strategist. It is now obvious that Bernier wanted Scheer to kick him out, so he could claim there is no room for people that support his ideas in the party. But Scheer did not take the bait, demonstrating there was room in the party for a variety of views. Kudos to Scheer.
The party made the right choice in the leadership fight.
If Bernier gets this idiotic idea off the ground, and attracts just a tiny percentage of conservative voters, Trudeau will rule this country for another 8 or 12 years. By that time it will be irreparable.
Shame on you Max.
Shame.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Nope I am against supply side management for dairy chickens and telecommunications services. And corporate welfare for the entire province of Quebec. Bombardiers only reason to exist is to distribute welfare to machinists in Quebec who couldn't get a job elsewhere.

What about corporate welfare for other provinces? At least Bernier is consistent. He wants to cut corporate welfare Canada-wide, not just for Quebec.

Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

They won't win him any votes in Quebec, which is a major supplier of dairy products ... one hell of a lot of cheese is made there. Dropping dairy marketing management might get him run out of Quebec on a rail.

In the hypothetical scenario that Bernier started his own party, I could see it becoming a primarily urban party for those who consumer agricultural products. It would get little traction in the rural regions where businesses might depend on the legislation.

Hoid
Walter, all cliche, no brains.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

I am a Conservative Party member, I supported Bernier for leader, I agree with his views on diversity and supply management.
But there is room in the party for Bernier, and the main goal should be to destroy Trudeau and his incompetent, dangerous gov't. To do that we need to be a "big tent" party, that attracts people with differing views.
You don't always get your way Max.
What this episode demonstrated is twofold:
First, I was wrong to vote for Bernier, as he is obviously a manipulative, narcissistic, weasel of a man. And not very bright. He is not fit to be an MP, much less leader of a party.
Secondly, Scheer is much the superior political strategist. It is now obvious that Bernier wanted Scheer to kick him out, so he could claim there is no room for people that support his ideas in the party. But Scheer did not take the bait, demonstrating there was room in the party for a variety of views. Kudos to Scheer.
The party made the right choice in the leadership fight.
If Bernier gets this idiotic idea off the ground, and attracts just a tiny percentage of conservative voters, Trudeau will rule this country for another 8 or 12 years. By that time it will be irreparable.
Shame on you Max.
Shame.

I don't know. I hope any party Bernier tries to establish fails, but at the same time, I hope he keeps his seat in Parliament. Parliament does need his views, but he could probably present them more effectively as an independent MP than as the leader of a party. He doesn't seem to be leadership material, however intelligent and understanding of economics as he may be.

JLM
Can Canada support two Conservative parties AND block the Liberals?

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Ohhhhhhhhhhh Christ!

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Ohhhhhhhhhhh Christ!

He's not Christ by a long shot.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

He's not Christ by a long shot.

And no brains either!

Mowich
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Oh that's rich..............coming from you. LMAO

petros
+1
So where is the money to start a new party going to come from?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

So where is the money to start a new party going to come from?

If we were smart, he'd brand himself as an independent MP for his riding. If he tries to build a new party from scratch, he could lose even his own riding then.

JLM

Better give it another think Walter...………...don't look stupid in Oct. '19!

Walter

Better give it another think Walter...………...don't look stupid in Oct. '19!

U look stoopid now.

petros

If we were smart, he'd brand himself as an independent MP for his riding. If he tries to build a new party from scratch, he could lose even his own riding then.

His own riding voted Scheer in the leadership vote.

Johnnny
Feel the BERN!!!!!

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

Feel the BERN!!!!!

I like to eat spicy food, so I experience the ring of fire on a regular basis.

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

As long as their cases are heard before they step foot on Canadian soil. The government has lost track of thousands of so called refugees, many that should not be permitted to enter the country.

Unfortunately, they cannot claim refugee status in Canada from the US. They have to cross the border first.

petros
And that is a criminal act.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
I think Colpy was spot on in his analysis of the situation. Bernier can do what he wants, it appears the Conservatives are united and Harper summed it up best.
Quote:

It is clear that Max never accepted the result of the leadership vote and seeks only to divide Conservatives. His decision today allows the Conservative Party of Canada to move forward united behind our Leader @AndrewScheer.
— Stephen Harper (@stephenharper) August 23, 2018

Maxime Bernier is no Lucien Bouchard.

Curious Cdn
You'd think that someone important had just quit the conservative Party.

petros
+1
Someone who thought he was important just quit the CPC.

JLM
The man is an idiot (if he really thinks he's going to be Prime Minister) BUT maybe he's an honourable idiot!

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
He'll make a great PM. Right after he's not forgetting classified material at a girlfriend's who just so happens to know a few Hell's Angels.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

He'll make a great PM. Right after he's not forgetting classified material at a girlfriend's who just so happens to know a few Hell's Angels.

People change, so I'll assume he'd learnt his lesson on that front at least.

That said, his proposal to start a new party does raise questions about his ability to consult his team. Without that skill, his party will go nowhere. He might be able to serve effectively as an independent MP and there would be no shame in that. He does have some good ideas to bring to the table and he does appear quite intelligent. I just don't see him as leadership material though. That's not his strength.

Walter
Why this crazy leap in the dark by Maxime Bernier?
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/and...maxime-bernier

Yep.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

I think Colpy was spot on in his analysis of the situation. Bernier can do what he wants, it appears the Conservatives are united and Harper summed it up best.

Maxime Bernier is no Lucien Bouchard.

Why is Harper even still around? Too make sure the Liberals win again.
Independents are Canada's only hope of breaking the 2 party bullshit, that is why they get so little support, we don't want Canada to be fixed, we like being fuked over daily.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Why this crazy leap in the dark by Maxime Bernier?
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/and...maxime-bernier

Yep.

The Liberal drool dried overnight into a crusty stain.

JLM

In the news, his party association has broken off from the Conservative Party to back Max too. It would appear that he has a very strong chance of winning the next election, but just be prepared to sit as an independent backbencher in Parliament.

That said, especially if the CPC comes out one or two seats short of a majority next election, Bernier and other independent backbenchers like him could become powerful members in a majority conservative coalition.

Bernier obviously isn't playing with a full deck. He comes across as a brat who throws a tantrum if he doesn't get his own way and tears off without telling anyone. Normally I couldn't care less, but Justin is going to end up making us all look like idiots!

Mowich
+1

Bernier obviously isn't playing with a full deck. He comes across as a brat who throws a tantrum if he doesn't get his own way and tears off without telling anyone. Normally I couldn't care less, but Justin is going to end up making us all look like idiots!

Not to worry, JLM..........The Great Enabler is far too busy making a complete fool of himself. We'll weather this storm. I have faith in Andrew and the party.

coldstream
+1
It's likely the last we'll hear of Maxine Bernier. He was a consumate NeoCon.. a free market economic liberal and cultural libertarian. He had nothing to do with Conservatism. Good riddance. Frankly Scheer has failed to impress either. I really have no idea what he stands for. He has not delivered a discernable platform, identity or profile. I was looking at the way Parliamentary Systems work in Australia (and in the 'Mother of Parliaments' in Britain). There the caucus chooses the leader. In Australia the Liberal Caucus dumped Malcom Turnbull after he supported radical AGW protocols that could have bankrupted the nation and supported open borders to refugees. More of the nationalist and populist revolution that is sweeping the 'West'. The way the Canadian System works is the leader is chosen in rigged conventions by party hacks and petty ideologues. By making the MPs subservient to a party dictated ideology and leader they essentially sidelines the Canadian electorate and grass roots ridings in the decision of their leadership. This leads to the Canadian Liberals being saddled with a lisping, limp wristed flake under the whip of a feminist coven and climate cult. And he's going to get his ass whipped next election. Canada has to go back to first principles to get its 'democracy' working again.. and out of the clutches of devolution and degeneracy. I'm not sure Scheer can represent an oncoming populist tide in the coming election. Which mean there might be other claimants if the Conservatives continue to be ruled by a fossilized NeoConservative Establishment.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

The Liberal drool dried overnight into a crusty stain.

Nobody cares about you two having an affair, do you have to be so graphic about his slobbering?