Experts on Trudeau's explanation of Quantum Computing

mentalfloss
Well he's definitely smarter than Harper.

We Asked Some Experts to Score Justin Trudeau’s Explanation of Quantum Computing

Amr Helmy—Director, University of Toronto’s Center of Quantum Information and Quantum Control

“His account of the distinction between a classical and quantum state is accurate. This is impressive that Canada’s PM has given this some thought. His comment on how superposition aides in storing information is an argument that can be equally made to explain the power which quantum computing possesses to process information in a fashion that is distinctly different from the classical paradigms. These are insights that are rarely considered by a Prime Minister. The rest of the world should be jealous!”

Michele Mosca—University Research Chair and Co-founder, Institute for Quantum Computing, University of Waterloo. Founding Member, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics

"The task is to explain quantum computing to a lay audience in a 100 words or so. It’s extremely hard, for even the best scientists and communicators, to get something like this both correct and interesting, especially in 100 words. He doesn’t say anything wrong. He conveys the essence of what quantum computing is, and why it might be more powerful. It’s understandable, and succinct. Also, keep in mind that this was something he said live, on the fly, in response to a joke from a reporter. Room for improvement? Hard to find. Can he next explain how encoding that more complex information in quantum bits leads to a more powerful computer? I’d love to hear his explanation."

SCORE: 9/10

We Asked Some Experts to Score Justin Trudeau?s Explanation of Quantum Computing | Motherboard

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
How bout his explanation of budget balance? How he score on that?

MHz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRmv4uD2RQ4

Kreskin
I thought it was a helluva response, but did he eventually answer the reporter's question?

JamesBondo
+3
entertaining but obviously staged.

Walter
He knows dick about this subject. Why was he a substitute drama teacher?

Locutus
+3
That someone can memorize words isn't astonishing or spellbinding.

anyway kids...

J.J. McCullough ‏@JJ_McCullough

Not since my debunking of an equally ill-reported story birthed by noted gossip @IvisonJ have I been so proud:

http://www.jjmccullough.com/index.php/2015/07/24/autopsy-of-a-non-event/ …

Murphy
Conservative
I'm shocked! Are you suggesting that someone else actually created the words that Justy spoke? My God, man, you're talking about someone who apparently is a prime minister!

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

I thought it was a helluva response, but did he eventually answer the reporter's question?

True but I don't believe the clapping was because they understood piggyback dynamics.

Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Why was he a substitute drama teacher?

Because he wasn't very good at dwama??

taxslave
Free Thinker
More dwama. That trudOWe managed to memorize his lines is not news.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

He knows dick about this subject. Why was he a substitute drama teacher?

... 'Cause part time, substitute dwama teachers just know that budgets balance themselves

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

That someone can memorize words isn't astonishing or spellbinding.

anyway kids...

J.J. McCullough ‏@JJ_McCullough

Not since my debunking of an equally ill-reported story birthed by noted gossip @IvisonJ have I been so proud:

http://www.jjmccullough.com/index.php/2015/07/24/autopsy-of-a-non-event/ …

must be where flossy gets his non events to post with all the glee of a believer.

MHz
He has the winning formula, create some drama and then come to the rescue. (against all odds thanks to his trolls doing all the hard work for him)

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

He has the winning formula, create some drama and then come to the rescue. (against all odds thanks to his trolls doing all the hard work for him)

He's the progressive trump

MHz
Be interesting to see what they come up with after spending a week or two with Putin at some Crimean retreat.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Be interesting to see what they come up with after spending a week or two with Putin at some Crimean retreat.

Justine would poop his pants and be crying uncontrollably if Putin threw him one of his steely stares...

Wouldn't take more than a minute or 2

MHz
Then they would clink glasses and break out into song. What's your point??

mentalfloss
The backlash by conbots over someone who knows something beyond their pocketbook is hilarious.

Walter
+1 / -3
The fawning by leftards over a substitute drama teacher who memorized a few lines is pathetic.

mentalfloss
So can we start talking about the multiverse now?

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

So can we start talking about the multiverse now?

Trudeau ought top be an expert in that field... After all, budgets do balance themselves

Locutus
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

The backlash by conbots over someone who knows something beyond their pocketbook is hilarious.

^ prime example of a prog-bromance.

pony is an obvious (a budget balances itself) turnip who regurgitated a couple lines of a 'lecture'. I mean...bravo eh.

DaSleeper
+1
I wouldn't be surprised if he had a teleprompter...
Do they make them with a little bouncing ball for real Leftoids?

bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation
Well we have now heard from the "Jealousy, night & day you torrture me group!!" DaSleeper, maybe he even had God talking in his ear!!! My word, talk about a one man band!!

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
the "Jealousy, night & day you torrture me group!!"

I think I remember them, did they write that big hit Budgets balance themselves?

bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

the "Jealousy, night & day you torrture me group!!"

I think I remember them, did they write that big hit Budgets balance themselves?

Tell me but is your household budget balanced?? Mine is!. Mainly because once the credit limit is reached, there is only pay back. No credit until a decent payback is achieved. That is unless the government in power browbeats or rides over the limits set!!!

If governments were held to the household budget types most housewives/househusbands have to deal with, yes budgets do balance themselves. I would assume, the Prime Minister knows this, as he is of the smart generation.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss;2273233[B

]Well he's definitely smarter than Harper.

[/B]

We Asked Some Experts to Score Justin Trudeau?s Explanation of Quantum Computing | Motherboard

Maybe book smarter but he can't hold a candle to Harper where wisdom & sagacity are concerned!

bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Maybe book smarter but he can't hold a candle to Harper where wisdom & sagacity are concerned!

LOl, my word, you have just proven to the world, you do not understand either the word "wisdiom nor sagacity" . He did understand threats and control though!!

Locutus
+2
so many gullible people in this country awash in multiple ponygasms squirted out by the lamestream media:

Media at Justin Trudeau’s feet

Gushing coverage of PM’s computer skills had nothing to do with reality

An important job of the media is to pull back the curtain when politicians try to finesse the news, not cheerlead while they do it.

In that sense, much of the media failed spectacularly last Friday.

It was in their gushing coverage of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s supposed owning of an arrogant reporter, by giving a brilliant explanation of quantum computing at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo.

This to cheers and a standing ovation from amazed scientists.

The video version has gone viral. Except none of it is true.

It was Trudeau who, prior to his media conference, set up the whole thing, saying he hoped someone in the press would ask him a question about quantum computing.

The reporter wasn’t being arrogant. Indeed, he didn’t ask Trudeau about quantum computing as a way of shaming him.

He joked that he would have asked him about it — a light-hearted reference to Trudeau’s earlier request — before posing his actual question about Canada’s role in fighting Islamic State.

Trudeau ignored that (until later) and launched into a brief explanation of quantum computing leading, we were told, to cheers and a standing ovation from amazed scientists.

Except the scientists would likely have cheered Trudeau had he said the moon was made of cheese.

He was there to confirm his government was giving $50 million to the institute for research.

One scientist in the apparent throes of rapture about Trudeau gushed he had earlier revealed an understanding of the famous thought experiment of physicist Erwin Schrodinger known as “Schrodinger’s cat.”

Except anyone who watches the hit comedy Big Bang Theory knows about Schrodinger’s cat, since it was explained, hilariously, in one episode.

Which is not to say Trudeau may not indeed be, as he says, a computer geek who really does understand this stuff.

Maybe it all didn’t come from a staffer who spent an hour on Wikipedia giving him some lines to memorize.

But let’s also remember Trudeau is a former drama (and math) teacher with a flair for the dramatic — his unexpected boxing victory over Sen. Patrick Brazeau — and a sense of occasion — his powerful funeral oration for his father.

Also recall, as someone tweeted, that when Matt Damon’s janitor character solves a difficult math problem in Good Will Hunting, it isn’t an indication Damon is a brilliant mathematician, but a good actor.

And acting skills can be extremely useful to a politician — recall the late U.S. president Ronald Reagan.

The fault here is not Trudeau’s, as politicians try to manipulate the public perception of themselves all the time.

It’s with media outlets like the Washington Post, Guardian and Vanity Fair using the episode to gushingly praise Trudeau, while ignoring what actually happened.

Besides, Trudeau shouldn’t get too comfortable.

As the Toronto Sun’s late, great founding editor Peter Worthington used to say, the media are either at a politician’s feet, or his throat.

Trudeau should enjoy the at-his-feet stage ... while it lasts.

Media at Justin Trudeau’s feet | Goldstein | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Kreskin
Aside from being a part time drama teacher wasn't he also a math teacher?