Benedict Blames God for Resignation

Spade
Pope Benedict resigned 'because God told me to do it' - Telegraph
"It was not because of any type of apparition or phenomenon of that sort," he said, but instead the result of a "mystical experience" received during "a direct rapport with the Lord".

Goober
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
And the point is?

MHz
+1
I'm thinking God's list for the Priest is going to be a lot longer than 1 point.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

I'm thinking God's list for the Priest is going to be a lot longer than 1 point.

Heavy on asking Forgiveness.

MHz
Forgiveness from God is part of the package that comes with being born into a world before it is perfected. That doesn't mean He can't put a few bumps in front of the ones that deserve it.

Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

And the point is?

The devil didn't make him do it. This is a "man bites dog' story. What's your point?

Goober
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

The devil didn't make him do it. This is a "man bites dog' story. What's your point?

He had a discussion with God. And the point is?

Spade
You have two-way conversations with gods, Goober? This is highly unusual.

Goober
+1

You have two-way conversations with gods, Goober? This is highly unusual.

We are not discussing myself. He stated he did with God, singular. Who am I to differ. I believe in God, singular.

Spade

We are not discussing myself. He stated he did with God, singular. Who am I to differ. I believe in God, singular.

You accept this on face value? There was an actual conversation? Between this man and this gawd?
Yvonne Elliman (Mary Magdalene) Everything's Alright -28*_ true light of life.com - YouTube

Goober
+1

You accept this on face value? There was an actual conversation? Between this man and this gawd?
Yvonne Elliman (Mary Magdalene) Everything's Alright -28*_ true light of life.com - YouTube

You are aware of my beliefs. And this video is not the former Pope.
As you brought myself into this discussion I will share a few things
I believe in Free Will
I believe if counting my blessings.
When I have my one way chat with God it is normally to ask for others, not myself.

Spade
Asylums are filled with those who have two-way conversations.

Why do you credit this conversation?

Goober

Asylums are filled with those who have two-way conversations.

Why do you credit this conversation?

Due to I cannot discredit it. Can you?
Are those that have conversations with God asylum material?

Spade
You are making an exception for this conversation. Why? There is no proof.
If it was reported a man had a two-way conversation with faeries, under what circumstances would you accept the report as true?

Angstrom
+1

If it was reported a man had a two-way conversation with faeries, under what circumstances would you accept the report as true?

Leave the poor simpleton's be. They need a gawd, just let them have it.

Sal
+1
I personally don't think it is unusual for people of a religious or spiritual persuasion to feel that they have been lead to a certain behaviour. They may then express it by saying god told them to do it. Nor do I feel he is blaming god, merely saying that was what he was told it was best to do.

I was raised Catholic so it is not bizarre to me at all.

I also know individuals who feel led by the spirit...I get it.

Goober
+1

I cannot refute that.

Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

Leave the poor simpleton's be. They need a gawd, just let them have it.

No- Again your limited ability leaves you with nothing but insults.

Angstrom
+1

No- Again your limited ability leaves you with nothing but insults.

Aww your right, sorry.....
I was just jealous god talks to you and not me..
I've just lost a lot of self importance all of a sudden.

I'm humbled by the experience.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

Aww your right, sorry.....
I was just jealous god talks to you and not me..
I've just lost a lot of self importance all of a sudden.

I'm humbled by the experience.

Where did I state that God talks to me.

Spade
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

I personally don't think it is unusual for people of a religious or spiritual persuasion to feel that they have been lead to a certain behaviour. They may then express it by saying god told them to do it. Nor do I feel he is blaming god, merely saying that was what he was told it was best to do.

I was raised Catholic so it is not bizarre to me at all.

I also know individuals who feel led by the spirit...I get it.

There are many mundane reasons why Benedict might have decided to resign - from health to his record. To put one's decision in the context of "instruction from a god" is self serving at best. And, demands disbelief.

petros
+2
God told me to take her out for cheesecake and a glass of vino.

Later tater!

Sal

There are many mundane reasons why Benedict might have decided to resign - from health to his record. To put one's decision in the context of "instruction from a god" is self serving at best. And, demands disbelief.

anymore so than anything else you mean?

if you were god wouldn't you have told him to get hopping, it was time and just because they used to hang in there until they expired doesn't mean it should continue

I don't get why it is a big deal or any deal at all frankly that he claims god said adios....be gone now and thanks for the time...

I don't really view god that way but meh, whatever gets you through the night

Angstrom

Where did I state that God talks to me.

I was assuming he talks to you.
Gawd seems to talk to American boot lickers more often then others.

Spade
+1
Would the god(s) speak to Harper to resign? If he resigned and claimed the god(s) did, what would people think? Would they think the god(s) take Canadian politics that seriously to intervene?

Suppose the real reason Harper were to resign was he lost control of caucus or because of scandal. Then, how would his assertion the god(s) advised him be taken?

Sal
+1

Would the god(s) speak to Harper to resign? If he resigned and claimed the god(s) did, what would people think? Would they think the god(s) take Canadian politics that seriously to intervene?

I don't know if god speaks to steve or not but it wouldn't be any weirder to me than this, actually if he said god told him to resign (please, please, please, please...lol).. being spiritual I neither believe nor discount anything about the other side...including that it may not exist..

I know people that feel that gawd healed them in an instant... and indeed they are better...they attribute it to god picking them out, I don't view it that way....but hell I can't prove that he didn't either

if the other side does exist, then perhaps what happens is only limited then by me and myl ability, maybe Benny and Steve have a different relationship with that side than I do...

Cliffy
+1
Why would the gods be concerned with the affairs of Man, any man, or his politics? The church is no more, no less, a political organization - the remnants of the Roman Empire.

Angstrom
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Why would the gods be concerned with the affairs of Man, any man, or his politics? The church is no more, no less, a political organization - the remnants of the Roman Empire.

Because humans suffer from self importance..?

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

why beats me but do you find it strange that a pope would think thus, I do not...his world is god and his personal relationship with god...so he would feel led...

Spade
Of course they don't, Sal. They are flesh and brain as you are. Not one iota different.

Cliffy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

why beats me but do you find it strange that a pope would think thus, I do not...his world is god and his personal relationship with god...so he would feel led...

I question the the pope is any more than a CEO of a large corporation who make money by pretending to have a personal relationship with this so call god. But that is me. I don't expect anybody else to think the same way.