Parents of British man killed by US drone blame UK government


Sal
#1
What am I missing here? While I feel sorry for the parents, I think junior sounds shady as hell.


The parents of a British-born man killed by a US drone strike after being stripped of his UK citizenship have spoken out for the first time – to say they will never forgive the British Government for his death.
Mohamed Sakr was born and brought up in London before he was targeted and killed in February 2012 in Somalia.
Now his Egyptian-born parents Gamal and Eman Sakr, who have lived in Britain for 35 years, have accused ministers of betraying this country’s democratic values.
Speaking to the Bureau of Investigative Journalism from their London home, the couple said they believe their son was left vulnerable to the attack after the government stripped him of his British citizenship months before he was killed.
“This is the hardest time we have ever come across in our family life,’ Mr Sakr said in tears. “I’ll never stop blaming the British government for what they did to my son. They broke my family’s back.”




Parents of British man killed by US drone blame UK government: The Bureau of Investigative Journalism



In February 2009 Berjawi and Sakr visited Kenya for what they told their families was a ‘safari’.
Both were detained in Nairobi, where they were said to have been interrogated by British intelligence officials. The authorities suspected them of terrorism-related activities.
They were released and only deported back to the UK because both, at that time, still had their British citizenship
 
SLM
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

What am I missing here?

You're not missing anything. It's called denial. They want someone to blame but they don't want to blame their son for his actions.
 
PoliticalNick
+2
#3
What you are missing is a huge breach of British Common Law and a severe violation of Human rights. It has nothing to do with his passport at all...the man had a British birth certificate, that is all he ever needs to claim his British citizenship and it can NEVER be taken away by anyone, especially some elected minister acting outside the constitutional boundaries. From what I read this family should launch a multi-billion dollar lawsuit against the govt and Theresa May as an individual for gross violations of human & civil rights and wrongful death.
 
Goober
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

What you are missing is a huge breach of British Common Law and a severe violation of Human rights. It has nothing to do with his passport at all...the man had a British birth certificate, that is all he ever needs to claim his British citizenship and it can NEVER be taken away by anyone, especially some elected minister acting outside the constitutional boundaries. From what I read this family should launch a multi-billion dollar lawsuit against the govt and Theresa May as an individual for gross violations of human & civil rights and wrongful death.

He went to play with the big boys. Are you surprised that a Country withdraws a passport of a person associated with terror. And Somalia is not on any tourist hot spots to visit.
 
PoliticalNick
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

He went to play with the big boys. Are you surprised that a Country withdraws a passport of a person associated with terror. And Somalia is not on any tourist hot spots to visit.

You miss the point Goober. They can revoke his passport all they want, he has a British birth certificate so they cannot revoke his citizenship and have no choice but to allow him to enter the country. His citizenship is his birthright and cannot be revoked for any reason under the British constitution or the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

The govt is making so huge legal errors here in order to play politics and they should have to pay the price for doing it.
 
Goober
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

You miss the point Goober. They can revoke his passport all they want, he has a British birth certificate so they cannot revoke his citizenship and have no choice but to allow him to enter the country. His citizenship is his birthright and cannot be revoked for any reason under the British constitution or the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

The govt is making so huge legal errors here in order to play politics and they should have to pay the price for doing it.

Dual citizen- he could have asked for an Egyptian Passport- Or to a British Embassy and asked for travel document to return to the UK.
They revoked his passport. And legally at that.
 
damngrumpy
-1
#7
As for drones? I hope they kill every single one of these people who promote
engage in or train others for that purpose. I don't care if they are Canadian or
British or American if they are there working against out interests they are traitors
and deserve no mercy what so ever.
Drone are working just fine thank you. Saves putting boots on the ground and
kills without them even knowing its coming until its too late.
 
WLDB
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

As for drones? I hope they kill every single one of these people who promote
engage in or train others for that purpose. I don't care if they are Canadian or
British or American if they are there working against out interests they are traitors
and deserve no mercy what so ever.
Drone are working just fine thank you. Saves putting boots on the ground and
kills without them even knowing its coming until its too late.

And who decides who gets killed? I dont mind them taking out terrorists either. But who decides these things? And where is the accountability when they kill civilians? So far there hasnt been any of that. You cant kill a bunch of civilians and say you're trying to take out terrorists. Killing civilians with drones IS terrorism.
 
Goober
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

And who decides who gets killed? I dont mind them taking out terrorists either. But who decides these things? And where is the accountability when they kill civilians? So far there hasnt been any of that. You cant kill a bunch of civilians and say you're trying to take out terrorists. Killing civilians with drones IS terrorism.

Same thing happens in a war.
 
L Gilbert
#10
What evidence is there that the kids were really terrorists? Or were they just suspected? Did I miss something?
 
Goober
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

What evidence is there that the kids were really terrorists? Or were they just suspected? Did I miss something?

Those things are what happens in war. No such thing as a clean War.
 
L Gilbert
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Those things are what happens in war. No such thing as a clean War.

The UK is at war in Somalia?
 
Goober
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

The UK is at war in Somalia?

They are at war with Terror groups.
 
Cliffy
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

As for drones? I hope they kill every single one of these people who promote
engage in or train others for that purpose. I don't care if they are Canadian or
British or American if they are there working against out interests they are traitors
and deserve no mercy what so ever.
Drone are working just fine thank you. Saves putting boots on the ground and
kills without them even knowing its coming until its too late.

If working against our interests is the criteria for drone attacks, then we should order an attack on the parliament buildings. They only look after corporate interests and the citizens be damned (unless our interests do not conflict with those of the corporations).
 
L Gilbert
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

They are at war with Terror groups.

That's nice and commendable, but what evidence is there that the kids were terrorists? Or was the UK just guessing that they were?
Like Cliffy pointed out, the gov'ts could be considered as being terrorists considering that they could take care of homeless people, maintain the healthcare system, etc. better than they do but won't. People live in fear of getting sick or injured, for instance. People live in fear of ending up being homeless. Certainly, civilians live in fear of being attacked by drones sent by gov'ts on a whim.
Last edited by L Gilbert; Mar 16th, 2013 at 07:42 PM..
 
Goober
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

That's nice and commendable, but what evidence is there that the kids were terrorists? Or was the UK just guessing that hey were?

I do not know. Do you have evidence they were not?
Somalia is not a tourist stop now is it.
 
L Gilbert
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

I do not know. Do you have evidence they were not?
Somalia is not a tourist stop now is it.

Really? You would like me to prove a negative? Can you prove you aren't a Martian that simply LOOKS and seems like a human? lol
It may not be a common tourist attraction for non-Moslems, but perhaps there are attractions for Moslems. I can't say without ASSuming one way or another.
 
Goober
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Really? You would like me to prove a negative? Can you prove you aren't a Martian that simply LOOKS and seems like a human? lol
It may not be a common tourist attraction for non-Moslems, but perhaps there are attractions for Moslems. I can't say without ASSuming one way or another.

A known terrorist, knows he is on the US hit list. Travels with his family. They are all killed in a drone attack.
Who is responsible for the deaths of his family.
 
gerryh
+1
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

A known terrorist, knows he is on the US hit list. Travels with his family. They are all killed in a drone attack.
Who is responsible for the deaths of his family.


The person/government controlling the drone.
 
Goober
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

The person/government controlling the drone.

A soldier takes his family into battle. They are all killed. Who is responsible.
 
L Gilbert
+1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

A known terrorist, knows he is on the US hit list.

Well, I guess these kids eventually found out they were on a hit list.
Quote:

Travels with his family. They are all killed in a drone attack.

This one was travelling with a childhood buddy.
Quote:

Who is responsible for the deaths of his family.

The dude who directed to drone to fire. The terrorist would simply be increasing the risks of the family.

Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

A soldier takes his family into battle. They are all killed. Who is responsible.

Whomever killed them. The soldier was simply increasing the family's risk of being killed.
 
gerryh
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

A soldier takes his family into battle. They are all killed. Who is responsible.


The person pulling the trigger. The person doing the killing. What is so hard to understand here? A person is responsible for their own actions.
 
Goober
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Well, I guess these kids eventually found out they were on a hit list. This one was travelling with a childhood buddy.

The dude who directed to drone to fire. The terrorist would simply be increasing the risks of the family.

Whomever killed them. The soldier was simply increasing the family's risk of being killed.

People state they (terrorist)are soldiers and to be accorded the same rights as a prisoner of war under the Geneva Convention.

They call it collateral damage. This is the new war that is going on.

Do I like it?
Does it work?
Does it cause more problems then are supposedly solved?

Yes and no to all 3 questions but it is the new war. Just sayin is all.