Sun News Network on Bell


muffinhead
#1
Hi, all. I hope you'll forgive a link, but if any of you or your family were Sun News viewers on Bell, you may have noticed the station is no longer available, and there is much controversy surrounding this. There is a Facebook group with more information, for anyone interested: Login | Facebook

Have a wonderful day.

Ooops...sorry. Well, I guess I'm not able to add links, anyway, so no need to worry. Anyway, for anyone interested, the group is called 'Tell Bell to Bring Sun News Network' back. We've gone from one to 225 members in less than 24 hours, which isn't bad, I guess?

Oops...sorry. Wasn't able to add a link, anyway...lol. But for anyone interested, the group is called Tell Bell to Bring Sun News Network Back. All views welcomed.
 
Cannuck
#2
Why would I want to tell Bell to bring Sun TV back. Sun TV wants the same kind of money that CBC and CTV get and yet only have less than 5 percent of the prime time audience. I would suggest that Sun TV show me that they are worth as much before they start demanding as much.

As for Bell, if I don't like the choices they offer, I'm free to switch to Star Choice.

I wonder if this thread is just spam created by a Sun TV employee.
 
muffinhead
#3
First of all, and no offense (none taken by me), that's absolutely and simply not true. What SNN is asking for is not only FAR less than that paid to Bell's own cross-Canada network stations, but also less than one-market *local* stations. And, still, no deal. Basically, Bell wants the signal for free, a cost they've enjoyed since the launch. Otherwise, no deal. It's a red herring, really. It smacks of shutting down competition and alternate voices, which is never fair, IMO, regardless of your political stripe.

Secondly, no, this is not spam, and not created by a Sun employee. Quite the opposite, in fact. I'm actually going out on a limb, here, and have actually made my living for ten years with a media outlet in direct competition with the Sun chain. It's just about fairness. If you have any doubts whatsoever about the above, you are absolute free to visit the group, befriend me on Facebook, find out who I am, send me a message, and draw your conclusions from there.

And a big P.S., by the way, CBC not only gets its money from that source, plus advertising revenue, but also from YOU and ME, the taxpayers.
 
DurkaDurka
#4
Is Bell required to carry Sun News?

What are the carriage fee's for a comparable channel?

Bell carries Rogers and Shaw owned channels so it doesn't really seem to be a situation of shutting down the competition.
 
damngrumpy
#5
Sun news is an entertainment outlet at best it is not taken seriously as a news station.
The operation is nothing more than fox north. I am quite pleased to see its limited to a
small region of the country, we have three networks now, Global which is on the right
but its credible, CTV which is slightly on the right but not always and the CBC which is
a credible station, slightly more liberal, on some things but gives the right opinion as well.
We are a diverse country with many opinions. The Sun Network is a station that does
not fit in, and most Canadians see right through it, like most people understand that FOX
News doesn't let the facts get in the way of their agenda either.
 
muffinhead
#6
It was in the contract, yes. As I said, the signal was carried for free, and then yanked. Which is why we started this group. As I said, I have no personal interest nor conflicts whatsoever. I am in another region, able to watch Sun News, have never worked for Sun News. It was on behalf of those who were enjoying the channel, but then had it yanked without explantation. If you'd like to weigh in, or even hear some differing opinions, I invite you to check out the site.
 
DaSleeper
+1
#7  Top Rated Post
The left only wants people to hear their thruth
 
muffinhead
#8
I frequently find that true, sadly. But to address damngrumpy up there, this is not an issue of politics or personal preference, IMO. Heck, I don't care what you watch. It's about fairness, about choice, about access, about not having yet another conglomorporation grab at yet another monopoly. Because I think we've all been there before.
 
damngrumpy
#9
There are likely a couple of reasons, listener ship is one. If the station does not
get traction, it goes. It has to gain popularity in the ratings. All media lives and
dies by the ratings. If you noticed even stations that carried the Layton story
immediately reported, "according to Sun Media" that means we will run it for a
couple of cycles but we question the content and it is not one of our own stories.
That is media terms is apologizing for running it. They feel obligated to recognize
that people are asking a few questions but is it news? As it turns out it was not
much of a story and others had covered it years before. It wasn't news it was
opportunism.
Now that the election is over some of the cable networks are questioning it value
in the Canadian Market Place. Anyway good luck, I am quite pleased the station is
longer taken seriously as in my opinion it was an embarrassment just like Fox News
is.
 
weaselwords
#10
Similiar statement as in a similar thread "Sun TV should be paying Bell a carriage fee not the other way round"
 
Tonington
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by muffinhead View Post

I frequently find that true, sadly. But to address damngrumpy up there, this is not an issue of politics or personal preference, IMO. Heck, I don't care what you watch. It's about fairness, about choice, about access, about not having yet another conglomorporation grab at yet another monopoly. Because I think we've all been there before.

Bell is a privately owned company and can choose whichever content they want to have available to their customers.

Fair? Find a different provider if you find their business practice so distasteful...if you want to avoid this so called conglomorporation, then put your money where your mouth is...
 
DaSleeper
+1
#12
Wonder if Bell got a lot of calls from the left after the Cons won???




Timing?????
 
Tonington
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Wonder if Bell got a lot of calls from the left after the Cons won???

Is Bell the only provider of content to "the left"?

 
mentalfloss
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Wonder if Bell got a lot of calls from the left after the Cons won???




Timing?????

Maybe the liberals did. Considering the NDP actually went up with the cons because the FPTP system, I highly doubt they'd have any sour grapes about their position.

One day I'll learn to stop taking the bait.
 
DurkaDurka
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Wonder if Bell got a lot of calls from the left after the Cons won???




Timing?????

Oh yea, ExpressVu has a specific queue for political complaints.

I can't wait until "Your Mom Tossed My Salad #6" is on at 8.
 
DaSleeper
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Maybe the liberals did. Considering the NDP actually went up with the cons because the FPTP system, I highly doubt they'd have any sour grapes about their position.

One day I'll learn to stop taking the bait.

It's all in how far you cast...
 
mentalfloss
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

It's all in how far you cast...

I'm still amazed at how good you are at disrupting civil discourse.
 
DaSleeper
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

I'm still amazed at how good you are at disrupting civil discourse.

And I'm amazed at the way that the mere mention of Fox and now Sun News seems to hit a raw nerve with left thinking or "progressive" people.....and....I love it
 
mentalfloss
#19
I'm sure it's just sour grapes over how intelligent and informative those shows are.
 
Tonington
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

I'm sure it's just sour grapes over how intelligent and informative those shows are.

Whatever you do don't mention the ratings.
 
Chiliagon
#21
SUN tv needs to earn their stripes. you don't ever get them by default.
 
mentalfloss
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

Whatever you do don't mention the ratings.

 
muffinhead
#23
Again, I'm not going to quibble or pick fights. I just joined this site, and certainly don't want to make enemies. There are a lot of things incredibly wrong and inaccurate about some posts by people above, who simply seem to want to shut down a new channel. Regardless of your politics, or mine, though, if you want to join the debate, then I welcome you to check out the FB group. And I wish you all a good day. Speaking of which, I don't know why it's not a good day in Canada when people are allowed to have and express their different voices. Perhaps I'm naive.
 
DaSleeper
+1
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by muffinhead View Post

Again, I'm not going to quibble or pick fights. I just joined this site, and certainly don't want to make enemies. There are a lot of things incredibly wrong and inaccurate about some posts by people above, who simply seem to want to shut down a new channel. Regardless of your politics, or mine, though, if you want to join the debate, then I welcome you to check out the FB group. And I wish you all a good day. Speaking of which, I don't know why it's not a good day in Canada when people are allowed to have and express their different voices. Perhaps I'm naive.

Don't worry......The mere mention of Fox News and now Sun News gets some peoples' panties in a twist
 
damngrumpy
#25
Whether a story is from the view of the left or the right it still has to have some ground rules.
A few are the story has to be new worthy and not a rerun of the same story that was already
told. The content of the story has to have some meat to it. The stories run by fringe stations
and Sun is one of them, they throw up flack and get people to respond to it, whether their is
content or not. That being said, if it has ratings its likely to be carried by a provider and in this
case Bell dropped it because it didn't have enough reach, or their news is somewhat suspect
for depth of content.
Bell doesn't do things because the left or right complains, they do things because there is a
buck in it and there is no value for their money here so they pulled the plug. Global for example
has value, its a right wing view of the world to be sure, but it has its facts set out before it goes
into the mix and so be it. CTV and CBC both have their facts in order and proceed to tell the
story.
In the case of the SUN Network, they don't do that they behave like FOX News and more and
more people question their facts and figures and story line. What happened to Sun this past
week is a prime example, They led with a nothing story that had no legs and no where to go.
The facts were there, but there were no charges and there was no more meat to it therefore
it died. There was enough coverage but most stations made it clear here is a story from SUN
Media. It was like saying its out there and if you believe that outlet well fine. That means its
not much of a story, especially since it had been out there before. Most people don't know
how a media outlet determines the value of a story, or the procedures that are required to it
pass muster if it were. It not a case of we won't go with a pro right or pro left story it just has
to have facts and value SUN is thin when it comes to that
 
PoliticalNick
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

The left only wants people to hear their thruth

Same thing can be said for the right, what's your point?

I have little faith in any MSM no matter how they are portrayed by themselves or others. We need to get back to journalists like Woodward and Bernstein instead of the puppets who repeat the talking points provided to them.
 
muffinhead
+1
#27
You know what, you're right, to some extent. And I agree, to some extent. But, honestly, how many of you could say with a straight face, that were Harper, Ignatieff, or heck, even Duceppe, to have been found at 9:30 pm in a well-known bawdy house, with an immigrant girl removing a soiled Kleenex, after said leader in question had campaigned for decades not only on women's rights, immigrants' rights, but also sex workers' rights...ummmm...that this *wouldn't* have been a story? I mean, are you kidding? All other media would have been all over that. But that's not my point. The fact is that we have very few media options here in Canada, and the biggest of all is being fed by our tax dollars. So, *why* are we so afraid to let in another?
 
Ron in Regina
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by muffinhead View Post

You know what, you're right, to some extent. And I agree, to some extent. But, honestly, how many of you could say with a straight face, that were Harper, Ignatieff, or heck, even Duceppe, to have been found at 9:30 pm in a well-known bawdy house, with an immigrant girl removing a soiled Kleenex, after said leader in question had campaigned for decades not only on women's rights, immigrants' rights, but also sex workers' rights...ummmm...that this *wouldn't* have been a story? I mean, are you kidding? All other media would have been all over that. But that's not my point. The fact is that we have very few media options here in Canada, and the biggest of all is being fed by our tax dollars. So, *why* are we so afraid to let in another ?


So....(?)....are "letting them in" & funding them synonymous?
 
DaSleeper
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Wonder if Bell got a lot of calls from the left after the Cons won???




Timing?????

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post


Copycat
 
Tonington
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by muffinhead View Post

But that's not my point. The fact is that we have very few media options here in Canada, and the biggest of all is being fed by our tax dollars. So, *why* are we so afraid to let in another?

They're already here. Stop talking about a corporate decision as a decision made by Canadians.
 

Similar Threads

1
The Real News Network:
by Nuggler | Feb 5th, 2011
2
Bell's new GSM network
by Andem | Nov 6th, 2009
2
NHL partners with Bell Mobility and Bell Canada
by Technology Bot | Dec 9th, 2006