Looking to the sky: B.C. company says it is sucking carbon from air, making fuel

spaminator
+1
Looking to the sky: B.C. company says it is sucking carbon from air, making fuel
Canadian Press
More from Canadian Press
Published:
June 7, 2018
Updated:
June 7, 2018 3:55 PM EDT
JAN 9, 2009 FILE PHOTOFrank Augstein / AP
It sounds like spinning straw into gold: suck carbon dioxide from the air where it’s contributing to climate change and turn it into fuel for cars, trucks and jets.
A British Columbia company says in newly published research that it’s doing just that — and for less than one-third the cost of other companies working on the same technology.
“This isn’t a PowerPoint presentation,” said Steve Oldham of Carbon Engineering. “It’s real.”
As policy-makers work on ways to try to keep global warming within the two-degree limit of the Paris agreement, fears have been raised that carbon dioxide emissions won’t be cut fast enough. Some say carbon will have to be actively removed from the atmosphere.
In an article published Thursday in the peer-reviewed journal Joule, Carbon Engineering outlines what it calls direct air capture in which carbon dioxide is removed from the atmosphere through a chemical process, then combined with hydrogen and oxygen to create fuel.
“If these aren’t renewable fuels, what are?” said David Keith, professor of applied physics at Harvard University, lead author of the paper and principal in Carbon Engineering.
At least seven companies worldwide are working on the idea. Swiss-based Climeworks has already built a commercial-scale plant.
It costs Climeworks about US$600 a tonne to remove carbon from the atmosphere. Carbon Engineering says it can do the job for between US$94 and US$232 a tonne because it uses technology and components that are well understood and commercially available.
“We’re tapping into existing industrial equipment and then defining a new process and applying some unique chemistry to it,” said Oldham.
Carbon Engineering’s plant in Squamish, B.C., currently pulls about one tonne of carbon a day from the air and produces about two barrels of fuel. Since its components are off the rack, it should be easy to scale up, Oldham said.
“We’ve bought the smallest scalable unit of each piece of technology we have.”
Carbon Engineering’s fuel costs about 25 per cent more than gasoline made from oil. Oldham said work is being done to reduce that.
Because the plant currently uses some natural gas, by the time the fuel it produces has been burned it has released a half-tonne of carbon dioxide for every tonne removed from the air. That gives it a carbon footprint 70 per cent lower than a fossil fuel, he said.
That footprint would shrink further if the plant were all-electric. And if it ran on wind- or solar-generated electricity, the fuel would be almost carbon neutral.
Long-distance transportation would welcome such fuel, suggested Keith.
“Solar and wind power have got amazingly cheap, but only in really great sites and only when the wind is blowing and the sun is shining. That cheap power doesn’t magically make an airplane go from Winnipeg to Halifax.
“What you need is a way to make a fuel in a place where you’ve got really cheap low-carbon power, and that will power the airplane. That’s the core idea here.”
Putting a price on carbon has been crucial to Carbon Engineering’s development, said Oldham.
“We would not be in business if carbon pricing did not exist.”
Carbon Engineering’s next step is to build a full-scale plant. That’ll take about 2 1/2 years, said Oldham.
One of the great benefits of making fuel from air is energy independence, said Oldham.
“Any country, any region, can have its own fuel. They’d be no longer dependent on the geopolitical situation if Country X has oil and Country Y does not.”
Looking to the sky: B.C. company says it is sucking carbon from air, making fuel | Toronto Sun

Cliffy
I notice none of the oil junkies are commenting on this.

darkbeaver
+1
Another alarmist bullshitt carbon sucking story. Anyone repeating these carbon fables to frighten the general dumb population should be executed by vigorous sustained tickling.

Curious Cdn
+2
Sounds like they're planting those carbon-sucking tree thingys.

petros
+1
Quote:

We would not be in business if carbon pricing did not exist.”

Subsidies!

Cliffy

Jinentonix
+3
#7  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Because this was already accomplished 2 years ago when methanol was first made from atmospheric CO2. Meanwhile, a Japanese brewery has been using captured atmospheric carbon to carbonate their beer.

What you posted is nothing new. No need for "oil junkies" to comment on this. But since you felt the need to be snarky about it, when do you plan on divesting yourself of ALL oil-based products? After all, you don't want to be an oil junkie now, do you?

DaSleeper
+3

https://scontent.fcxh3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...e5&oe=5BB821CA

That was the most childish stupidest facebook meme yet...

Bravo!!

One of the them.....huh?

petros
White oak.

darkbeaver
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Sounds like they're planting those carbon-sucking tree thingys.

Ive talked to a lot of trees and they don,t give a fukk, they didn,t need us in the first place and still don,t, in fact it,s difficult to enumerate human civilizations grown over by trees. All trees should be made subject to human law and monitored 24/7 with special attention to suspicious tree gangs and thier movements. It always starts with weak liberals and thier pandering to these unemployed vegetables who spend entire days in non productive postures. How the hell will trees adjust Solar discharge? I,ve got nothing against trees but during this blooming Solar minimum/ice age it is very possible that millions of them will be converted into heat and the tree huggers with them.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

White oak.

Red oak in my little river valley.

bill barilko
+2
Haven't done a lot of reading on this but I ask that everyone remember that BC is Pump 'n Dump capital of the world-and if you don't know what Pump 'n Dump is then I can get you a good price on the Lions Gate Bridge.

petros
+2
Next they'll remove nitrogen from air and claim they invented a miracle combustion enhancer.

Curious Cdn

Ive talked to a lot of trees and they don,t give a fukk

I sure hope that you showed the beech to cedar error of her ways.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Because this was already accomplished 2 years ago when methanol was first made from atmospheric CO2. Meanwhile, a Japanese brewery has been using captured atmospheric carbon to carbonate their beer.

What you posted is nothing new. No need for "oil junkies" to comment on this. But since you felt the need to be snarky about it, when do you plan on divesting yourself of ALL oil-based products? After all, you don't want to be an oil junkie now, do you?

Nice. Argumentum ad absurdam. Textbook case.

I must say, you wield fallacies extremely well.

Oh, quit it! You're just making jokes to be poplar. It' not OAK, you son of a birch.

Curious Cdn
Tamarack! Mon Dieu!

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Acacia haven't figured it out, you're gonna get a pine the face if you don't knock it off. I won't ash you again.

Curious Cdn
Mango take over the elm before this thread runs aground on the sandalwood.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Mango take over the elm before this thread runs aground on the sandalwood.

I've never cinnamon with such wit!

petros
+1
That's bad bois.

darkbeaver
+1

Niether species would encounter much resistance in destroying me.

I,am a sap sucker, trees feed me, they heat me, the oil is there just in case

Bar Sinister
I see one major flaw in this tech and that is that it does not correct the major reason why so many nations are switching to electric cars and that is that is does not solve the problem of global pollution. Producing more hydrocarbons does not eliminate air pollution caused by burning them even if they are reclaimed from polluted air.

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

I see one major flaw in this tech and that is that it does not correct the major reason why so many nations are switching to electric cars and that is that is does not solve the problem of global pollution. Producing more hydrocarbons does not eliminate air pollution caused by burning them even if they are reclaimed from polluted air.

So are we trying to eliminate sit pollution or carbon ?

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

It's neutral ya fool.

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

So are we trying to eliminate sit pollution or carbon ?

BS and his ilk are trying to eliminate our economy. Case they don't contribute anyway.

darkbeaver

Listen Mr Nature I am a fukkin oil junky, there,s nothing, absolutly nothing wrong with burning oil, yer way over forty degrees north Cliffy and you will bow to oil or you will freeze. Of couse in our wholesome Canadian democratic environment you certainly have a choice between solar panels or dependable heat.

Meanwhile here in NS april hasn,t ended yet, frost every night some sun maybe and wide temperature swings every twentyfour hours. The june bugs have just picked up, a couple of weeks late, but they're fat and tastety, stir fried a few minutes and they are remarkably transformed into popcorn, yer mouth can,t tell the difference and the wings get stuck in yer teeth just like the expensive popcorn, the june bug flys onto your frontdoorstep light by the pound, and they can be canned or frozen. I am of course embarking on a project centered on insect farming, presently we are engaged in scientific research to enlarge these june bugs up to arround the one kilo mark.
We have reliable results indicating that the gross weight of a June bug can in fact be increased to a kilo quite redilly.

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

It's neutral ya fool.

Is it? It would have to use zero energy to be neutral. It doesn't.

darkbeaver
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl5E0Z4gELQDr. Tim Ball and the Deliberate Corruption of Climate Science - The Inconvenient Truth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl5E0Z4gELQ

Club of Rome, agenda 21, IPCC bastards and the other particulars and criminal characters of the greatest crime against humanity ever envisioned. Very good radio interview.

Retired_Can_Soldier

I applaud them, as long as they don't end up like the magnetic engine.