"The west wants out": Separatist sentiments growing in Alberta

Serryah
Free Thinker
+1
How about this:

If the west wants wants so much to change Canada, if the west wants so much to see Canada do "better", then maybe the West should actually start choosing people who give a shit about Canada, and who the rest of Canada can get behind as a leader, than the idiots they've chosen lately to try and represent them?

The whole "west wants out" and "West supermajority" and "West country" isn't doing the Western Cons *any* service in proving that any of you care for Canada what so ever.

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
+2
LINK: http://torontosun.com/opinion/column...divided-canada

Even with the most seats Monday, the results are nothing short of a loss for Justin Trudeau and the Liberals. Like most pundits, I predicted in 2015 that Trudeau would be at least a two-term prime minister and would win a second majority.

He failed to do that.

After winning 184 seats four years ago, Trudeau is now in minority territory. The man who was welcomed by the world’s elites as he proclaimed Canada is back has been shown the back of the hand by the majority of Canadian voters.

In the dying days of the election, Trudeau was running ads saying that the Conservatives wanted to make the election about him. No, Trudeau wanted to make the election about him.

The entire government, the entire Liberal Party has become all about Justin Trudeau. It’s not a political party anymore, it’s a movement as Trudeau calls it or a cult as his detractors call it. Most Canadians it seems, don’t want to join a cult.

In Quebec, where the Liberals had hoped to win more seats and save their majority status, voters turned overwhelmingly to the Bloc Quebecois. It’s one of the stains of Trudeau’s record that separatism is on the rise again. The Bloc were left for dead and just 10 months ago didn’t even have a leader.

Now the party that wants to take Quebec out of Canada is a powerhouse again.
(If the Bloc Quebecois is a powerhouse again, what the Hell is this?)

Even with Trudeau’s Liberals being reduced to a minority we can expect a separatist sentiment to rise up in another part of the country, Western Canada. Alberta and Saskatchewan overwhelmingly backed the Conservatives and voted for their own future and the future of their oil and gas industry.

The future of that industry is now in jeopardy as the Liberals hold government but must turn to the NDP and Greens for support. Both of those parties hold the view that there should be no more pipelines built and oil should stay in the ground.

Voters in Western Canada will now look with disdain on their fellow Canadians who have turned their backs on a key driver of Canada’s wealth. There has been increasing talk of turning off the equalization taps to Eastern Canada if the oil industry is not supported.

Monday’s vote says the majority of people in Eastern Canada want oil money without the oil.

A key legacy of the first four years of Justin Trudeau’s government will dominate his time in office going forward, national unity. Under Trudeau we are seeing the rise of both Quebec separatism and the birth of Western separatism.

The calls of the “West Wants Out” will only get louder now.

The NDP had been rising in the polls in the last few weeks of the campaign but failed to win the number of seats they needed to win or to sufficiently split the votes to allow Conservatives to take seats from the Liberals.

Now whether Trudeau needs a coalition or simply the support of the NDP, Greens or Bloc to survive doesn’t really matter. The parties that hold a strong majority of the seats don’t want Canada’s natural resources to get to market.

Despite Trudeau’s purchase of a pipeline and claims that he will get it built, that is unlikely to happen. As his own star candidate Steven Guilbeault said just the other day, pipelines are a thing of the past in Canada.

“I think that now that we have a real evaluation and impact assessment for projects, we will come to the conclusion that many of these projects are incompatible with the goals we have for 2030,” Guilbeault said.

How about this:

Anyone thinking that I’m putting too much weight on the oil industry or the pipeline process isn’t looking at this from a national perspective.

Can you ever imagine that Western provinces would vote to put an end to the auto industry or to Quebec’s dairy or forestry industries?

That would never happen, nor should it happen to Alberta and Saskatchewan.

We have been through a very nasty, bitter and divisive campaign. What we have seen over the last 40 days is nothing compared to what we will see over the coming months if Trudeau and the other parties act on their promises.

Canada is a truly divided country now.
Last edited by Ron in Regina; Oct 22nd, 2019 at 12:50 AM..

Serryah
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

How about this:

Anyone thinking that Iím putting too much weight on the oil industry or the pipeline process isnít looking at this from a national perspective.

Can you ever imagine that Western provinces would vote to put an end to the auto industry or to Quebecís dairy or forestry industries?

That would never happen, nor should it happen to Alberta and Saskatchewan.

We have been through a very nasty, bitter and divisive campaign. What we have seen over the last 40 days is nothing compared to what we will see over the coming months if Trudeau and the other parties act on their promises.

Canada is a truly divided country now.

I don't think you're putting too much weight on the oil industry or the pipeline.

I do think there is a super stubborn "our way or no way" coming from the west.

As someone from NB, I personally HATE that we import oil from outside Canada. I can't imagine any other Easterner thinking any different.

And yet, I CAN see the West voting to put an end to Quebec forestry and dairy or the auto. Why? Because it's not about industry or people's livelihood, it's about how much the west hates the "east" - which is only Quebec and Ontario, as it's believed to be the opposite going the other direction, that Quebec and Ontario hate the West. If the West could 'tit for tat' those two provinces, they would. And bugger the rest of the East who actually aren't too far removed from the West in a lot of the views. Unfortunately, we're looked down at because our people move out west, "Take jobs" and how dare we do that, then come home.

I see the major problem being a lack of willingness to compromise on both sides. On all sides.

Yeah, Canada's divided, and sadly, cries for separation does not help the issue what so ever and THAT is squarely on the shoulders of the West (and Quebec when it suits them).

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by mrjoshua View Post

HAHAHA, C.u.n.t.nada will collapse soon and I hope the scum who live there will die as well! YOU ARE ALL SCUM AND YOU ALL DESERVE TO DIE!
Long live the United States!

The United States does not have long to live. It's about to split into four pieces ... The industrial North ... again ... Dixie ... again ... California and Texas ... again.

B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Go where? The 51st state will be an invisible nobody. Alberta will be State #27 by size, between those two political power houses of Kentucky and Oregon.
Lots of States have lots of oil. Nothing special.
Kentucky is represented federally by 2 Senators and 6 Congressmen. That's 1/89th of the House and exactly 1/50th of the Senate. Alberta can look forward to some REAL POWER as the 51st State, alright!
There are 38 Canadian federal MPs, That's 1/9th of the seats in Parliament.
You think that you're alienated now? Go for it, morons.

For once an intelligent post.. what your mother wrote it for you

It's not so much the representation vs the access to markets (which right now Alberta is being blocked) and US gun laws, and other laws which many Albertans love.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

I don't think you're putting too much weight on the oil industry or the pipeline.
I do think there is a super stubborn "our way or no way" coming from the west.
As someone from NB, I personally HATE that we import oil from outside Canada. I can't imagine any other Easterner thinking any different.
And yet, I CAN see the West voting to put an end to Quebec forestry and dairy or the auto. Why? Because it's not about industry or people's livelihood, it's about how much the west hates the "east" - which is only Quebec and Ontario, as it's believed to be the opposite going the other direction, that Quebec and Ontario hate the West. If the West could 'tit for tat' those two provinces, they would. And bugger the rest of the East who actually aren't too far removed from the West in a lot of the views. Unfortunately, we're looked down at because our people move out west, "Take jobs" and how dare we do that, then come home.
I see the major problem being a lack of willingness to compromise on both sides. On all sides.
Yeah, Canada's divided, and sadly, cries for separation does not help the issue what so ever and THAT is squarely on the shoulders of the West (and Quebec when it suits them).

Just admit you just don't get it

Serryah
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Just admit you just don't get it

Don't get what, exactly?

How the west feels about the East - sorry - Ontario and Quebec?

How they think those two provinces rule everything?

How both provinces are un-****ing-fair to the West?

How the West is being sold out by its own country?

What am I missing?

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+2
Everyone of your progressive policies kill jobs in and cost more money for the bread basket of Canada.

How sad is it when the Libs. were announced the winners at the same time the BC polls closed and the Sask. and Alberta results were just started to come in.

Cliffy
Free Thinker

Don't get what, exactly?

Ah, don't worry about Moosy, he is just a belligerent right winger with a chip on his shoulder and a broom stick up his butt.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Ah, don't worry about Moosy, he is just a belligerent right winger with a chip on his shoulder and a broom stick up his butt.

Which way did your non Canadian FN buddies that gave you special permission to be in Canada vote Cliffy?

Cliffy
Free Thinker

Serryah
Free Thinker

Everyone of your progressive policies kill jobs in and cost more money for the bread basket of Canada.

How sad is it when the Libs. were announced the winners at the same time the BC polls closed and the Sask. and Alberta results were just started to come in.

So why aren't your reps doing THEIR jobs to keep jobs there, OR fight to get newer/better jobs, OR anything else?

You think that here is any better?

There's a reason people from the coast are moving West. I wish we didn't have to but both levels of government are failing us here. As my dad pointed out yesterday: what have they done for us? All the local industries have left, vanished out west. You have gripes? We do too I've got lots of gripes.

It's not progressive policies that kill jobs, it's people who are in charge of those jobs either not adapting to the change in the world, not helping their employees change and adapt, or they just don't give a flying fuk and leave all together. That's not on the government, that's on business.

But I will say this, selling out to foreign countries is one line we've crossed that I seriously hate and wish there was some way to fix. And I don't care whose fault it was.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+3
How come you need a magnifying glass to see the majority of the Red ridings on the map? We need an electorate vote to balance the country from East to West.

Trudeau doesn't get it either his re-election speech was just as divisive as his 1st term.

Hoid
+1

it will be a salty few days.

so much losing

Serryah
Free Thinker

How come you need a magnifying glass to see the majority of the Red ridings on the map? We need an electorate vote to balance the country from East to West.

Trudeau doesn't get it either his re-election speech was just as divisive as his 1st term.

I agree, we need to redo how the voting is done.

But again, if you actually break things down, the Libs would have kept power if the votes for the Bloc and Green hadn't increased. The country still stayed left.

I'm not blind to the red, but are you blind to the other colors besides blue?

I didn't listen to Trudeau's speech, or any of them. It's the same usual bullshit and it's just to rile the base up. And if you think Sheer's speech wouldn't have been as divisive then I've a bridge to sell you.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+4

So why aren't your reps doing THEIR jobs to keep jobs there, OR fight to get newer/better jobs, OR anything else?

They are, you aren't listening, for an example last night the last 4 Libs. were cast out of Sask./Alta. the Oil, Gas, and employment protests were twisted into some alt. right movement by the Eastern MSM. We are dismissed, discouraged, and criticized for speaking up.

Quote:

You think that here is any better?
There's a reason people from the coast are moving West. I wish we didn't have to but both levels of government are failing us here. As my dad pointed out yesterday: what have they done for us? All the local industries have left, vanished out west. You have gripes? We do too I've got lots of gripes.

You are moving West for cheaper taxes and employment, how is that working out for your friends now? What industries moved out West? I think you have to look to Mexico and China to find your industries.

Quote:

It's not progressive policies that kill jobs, it's people who are in charge of those jobs either not adapting to the change in the world, not helping their employees change and adapt, or they just don't give a flying fuk and leave all together. That's not on the government, that's on business.

Bahahaha What new regulation put forward in the last 4 years were put in to support the West? Not 1 they were all put in to restrict the resource industry, and take control of our resource management all new projects must go through Ottawa now, cost Billions to get off the ground and discouraged from concept to ground break.

Quote:

But I will say this, selling out to foreign countries is one line we've crossed that I seriously hate and wish there was some way to fix. And I don't care whose fault it was.

Foreign investment is pretty much gone from the West, new projects are shelved, we are in a holding pattern of wait and see. Which is really sad for a resources rich country even the territories are campaigning for more industry, the resources are there we aren't.

The Libs. are touting there new plan of planting trees for a carbon sink, at the same time criticizing the West for saying we are close to carbon neutral with all our forests and native grass carbon sinks.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+3

But again, if you actually break things down, the Libs would have kept power if the votes for the Bloc and Green hadn't increased. The country still stayed left.
I didn't listen to Trudeau's speech, or any of them. It's the same usual bullshit and it's just to rile the base up. And if you think Sheer's speech wouldn't have been as divisive then I've a bridge to sell you.

Not one of Scheer's speeches said anything but to treat all Canadians and regions equally, except for the couple of extra incentives for Quebec. Can the same be said about the three progressive parties?

Hoid

what the nattys managed to do was to drive Quebecers back to the bloc.

Scheer managed to damage the Liberal support but could not increase his own because he has nothing to offer.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

what the nattys managed to do was to drive Quebecers back to the bloc.
Scheer managed to damage the Liberal support but could not increase his own because he has nothing to offer.

At least he was honest phuck Canada what about Quebec.

Hoid
+1
yes the guy who lied on his resume about being an insurance broke and lied about being an American citizen and lied about hiring Kinsella to smear Benrier at least was honest.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

yes the guy who lied on his resume about being an insurance broke and lied about being an American citizen and lied about hiring Kinsella to smear Benrier at least was honest.

What are you nattying on about? I was referring to the Bloc leader

MHz
+2
SNC showed Montreal was full of crooks and law enforcement that was blind. Nothing got cleaned up but the West is the only problem Canada has?? If he cleaned up the East would there be anybody employed there at all?? lol

Maybe JT should court the independents first.

Hoid
+1
I was talking about Scheer.(and his having nothing to offer anyone)

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+4
He offered too much he was trying to buy the progressive vote in Ont. and Quebec while trying to communicate restraint to the West, his mixed message trying to please everyone, while the MSM attacked him for his negative campaign telling the Canadians the truth is what prevented him from succeeding in Ont.

The Lib. strategy of linking him to Ford and Harper worked as planned in the blind GTA.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+1

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation

Bob and Sally cancel each other's votes out.

So do a heck a lot of other couples.

Be decent to each other. Take the result like Canadians, not like these guys.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-50134451

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

He offered too much he was trying to buy the progressive vote in Ont. and Quebec while trying to communicate restraint to the West...

He was trying to sell a Trumpite message. Canadians are smarter than Americans.

Cliffy
Free Thinker

MHz
+1
Distraction from the real issues facing Canada that Ottawa is intent on burying as deep as possible.

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
+7
Can't blame Alberta and Saskatchewan that they want to leave. They're the only provinces that really make alot of money and the current government is bent on destroying that.