Is Canada ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution?


JLM
-1
#1381
We're probably going to need another car in 10 years and a new truck in 15, so may consider hybrid.
 
JLM
-1
#1382
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

My wife was driving our two little kids, both in car seats in a Pontiac that we used to have and the wiring harness burnt up, sending her and her two chicks running away from it. There were no protectve fuses on any of the branches either, so the whole thing was toast. The Subaru that I had at the time had an on-line fuse wherever the system branched to prevent that sort of total failure.

They still make crap. They deserve to go bankrupt. This time around they will, too.


We had a Pontiac Parisienne, that I drove for a good 10 years problem free, same thing with a Buick Skylark that we drove about 7 years. We also had an Olds for about 7 or 8 years. All good cars, I think a lot depends on who's driving them.
 
JLM
-1
#1383
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Would YOU buy an electric car from GM?

They'll be bursting into flames in the show rooms. Everything on them will suddenly go "keeboing" the day after the three year warranty expires.


That shit can happen with any car if you don't know what you're doing!
 
Curious Cdn
#1384
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

That shit can happen with any car if you don't know what you're doing!

So, what do you do differently? She was just driving the car with two kiddies in the back seat. What special procedure do you need to follow before starting up a GM product?
 
JLM
-1
#1385
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

So, what do you do differently? She was just driving the car with two kiddies in the back seat. What special procedure do you need to follow before starting up a GM product?


I've never had need for special procedure, just drive at the posted speeds and do regular maintenance and when in doubt SLOW DOWN.
 
Curious Cdn
#1386
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I've never had need for special procedure, just drive at the posted speeds and do regular maintenance and when in doubt SLOW DOWN.

She was on a suburban street going about 50 km/hr ... nowhere near a highway.

You really are clueless.
 
Hoid
#1387
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

My wife was driving our two little kids, both in car seats in a Pontiac that we used to have and the wiring harness burnt up, sending her and her two chicks running away from it. There were no protectve fuses on any of the branches either, so the whole thing was toast. The Subaru that I had at the time had an on-line fuse wherever the system branched to prevent that sort of total failure.

They still make crap. They deserve to go bankrupt. This time around they will, too.

Pretty much all modern cars are crap.

Planned obsolescence.

One more reason Tesla's are so superior. Made to last
 
JLM
-1
#1388
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

She was on a suburban street going about 50 km/hr ... nowhere near a highway.

You really are clueless.


Oh! What was clueless about my procedure? It's worked for almost 60 years!
 
spilledthebeer
#1389
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Pretty much all modern cars are crap.

Planned obsolescence.

One more reason Tesla's are so superior. Made to last






AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!





HEMERhoid has lost it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!




Tesla battery is TOAST AFTER TEN YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And replacement cost of the battery is more than a ten year old car is WORTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Replacing an old Tesla battery is as bad as putting a brand new engine into a gas car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



HemerHOID has DEGENERATED....................................... ....


in his own version of planned obsolescence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!


He has gone from BAD LIAR.............................................. .....


down to LUDECRIS LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Curious Cdn
#1390
Quote: Originally Posted by spilledthebeer View Post

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
HEMERhoid has lost it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Tesla battery is TOAST AFTER TEN YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And replacement cost of the battery is more than a ten year old car is WORTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Replacing an old Tesla battery is as bad as putting a brand new engine into a gas car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HemerHOID has DEGENERATED....................................... ....
in his own version of planned obsolescence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
He has gone from BAD LIAR.............................................. .....
down to LUDECRIS LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!


Sorry.

Can't read your post.

The font is too small.
 
JLM
-1
#1391
Quote: Originally Posted by spilledthebeer View Post

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!





HEMERhoid has lost it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!




Tesla battery is TOAST AFTER TEN YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And replacement cost of the battery is more than a ten year old car is WORTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Replacing an old Tesla battery is as bad as putting a brand new engine into a gas car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



HemerHOID has DEGENERATED....................................... ....


in his own version of planned obsolescence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!


He has gone from BAD LIAR.............................................. .....


down to LUDECRIS LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!


As good as the Teslas may be I wonder how they would compare with the Pontiac Vibe for both performance and operating costs. We bought the 2005 Vibe in 2009 and so far the only major repair has been to replace the starter, and the battery once, otherwise just tires and routine maintenance.
 
Curious Cdn
#1392
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

As good as the Teslas may be I wonder how they would compare with the Pontiac Vibe for both performance and operating costs. We bought the 2005 Vibe in 2009 and so far the only major repair has been to replace the starter, and the battery once, otherwise just tires and routine maintenance.

The Pontiac Vibe, aka the Toyota Matrix was not engineered by GM..
Lucky thing, eh?
 
MHz
#1393
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Sorry.

Can't read your post.

The content is too small.
 
JLM
-1
#1394
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

The Pontiac Vibe, aka the Toyota Matrix was not engineered by GM..
Lucky thing, eh?


Maybe!
 
Curious Cdn
#1395
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Maybe!

Absolute certainty.
 
JLM
-1
#1396
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Absolute certainty.


Why would you say that? We've had success with G.M. vehicles, I've also owned 4 Ford pickups over 40 years, basically very good. My sister has driven a Chevy Cruze for four years, very happy with it. Your knowledge of vehicles is obviously lacking!
 
spilledthebeer
#1397
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Sorry.

Can't read your post.

The font is too small.




Sort of like your Red Tory mind???????????????????????????????????????


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


IN other news that lovers of electric TOY cars such as hemerHOID WILL NOT LIKE......................................


Tesla is facing a class action suit from over 2000 owners with more joining along the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Tesla SCREWED UP by making so many CHANGES to its battery and charging systems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


In order to LIMIT unplanned fires in older model Tesla batteries- fires triggered by newer fast chargers........................


Tesla has made changes to some software that noticeably REDUCES the range.............................


and sometimes the charging speed of older Tesla models................


meaning the older TOYS that ARE ALREADY SUFFERING from battery age and attendant reduced range...........................


have been short changed a LITTLE MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


In other news- some Tesla owners are suing over the self driving features offered in their electric TOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


One TRULY DISTURBING Photo went viral ONLINE- with a Tesla driver SLEEPING behind the wheel........................


while the electric TOY was left to find its own way down the busy freeway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!


In still other disturbing Tesla news......................................


newer models have a sort of Dog Whistle Response built in to the self driving features!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Meaning NO NEED to walk through the parking lot to get to your electric TOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Now you just use the APP on your PHONE to call the car over to the store you exited from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


As if it was an electric DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


The problem is that the electric TOY dog does not recognize other cars and pedestrians as well as it SHOULD!!!!!!!!!!


With Tesla TOY Owners now griping that their Toys are CAUSING ACCIDENTS while negotiating parking lots all on their own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And hemerHOID wants to tell us these things are BUILT TO LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


In other depressing electric TOY car news - citizens of several Yankee cities have taken up a new hobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Frustrated citizens have started throwing stuff at and generally trying to confuse electric TOYS that have been fitted with autonomous self driving capacity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


The citizens are bitterly frustrated that corporations have seen fit TO TURN PEOPLE into UNPAID LAB RATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I am sure the corporations will get it right some day.............................


lets just hope that NOT TO MANY innocent people are MAIMED OR KILLED in the process!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



 
JLM
-1
#1398
If you own a vehicle that is dependable and is costing you very little money except for routine maintenance your best bet is to keep it until you run it into the the ground or you are confronted with a big bill. You ALWAYS take a beating when trading in a vehicle.
 
spilledthebeer
#1399
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

If you own a vehicle that is dependable and is costing you very little money except for routine maintenance your best bet is to keep it until you run it into the the ground or you are confronted with a big bill. You ALWAYS take a beating when trading in a vehicle.




TRUE DAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !


The little detail that nasty little electric TOY car lovers like hemerHOID DO NOT WANT US...........................


ASKING ABOUT -IS THE SERVICE LIFE of an electric TOY CAR BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


A standard Lithium battery suffers a STEADY REDUCTION in capacity and range!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


By the time a Lithium battery is ten years old -it has LOST HALF its range and capacity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


In addition Cdn are concerned about the battery killing COLD .............................


that seriously compromises Lithium batteries .................................


once the temperature falls below TEN CELSIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


That combo of reduced range due to cold and FURTHER REDUCED RANGE ..................................


due to battery age means that an electric TOY car owner......................................


MUST EITHER DUMP the electric TOY at about 10 years.................................



OR SPEND BIG MONEY to buy a new battery to restore range and reliability!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!


At ten years the electric TOY has SERIOUS RANGE AND POWER ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


While the AVERAGE AGE of a gas powered car on our roads is ELEVEN YEARS................................


with many cars markedly OLDER THAN THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!


Electric Toy cars are for the foolish and gullible AND THE WEALTHY AND ECCENTRIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


They are NOT PRACTICAL FOR ORDINARY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
 
Hoid
#1400
Re. Pace of technological change

Google announces quantum computer that can solve in 200 seconds a problem that would take the fastest super computer 10,000 years to finish.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/23/tech/...scn/index.html

Google (GOOGL) will now try to build "a fault-tolerant quantum computer" as quickly as possible. The company sees applications in designing lightweight batteries for cars and airplanes, as well as new medicines.
"Achieving the necessary computational capabilities will still require years of hard engineering and scientific work. But we see a path clearly now, and we're eager to move ahead," it said in the post.
 
MHz
#1401
Have to ask JT that one.

I would go with hemp now we know how to make motors and controllers and batteries. That is pretty much 'carbon fiber in 16ft lengths' (once we do the gene work)
The bigger question for Canadians is 'will they buck and ignore his words' again like they did for the last few years or will they take up his notice and run with it to 'help Canada stay ahead of the pay to play game'. In the last year the term 'Government Hospital' should have been on the lips of millions of Canadians as 'out Leader' said something didn't smell right. Based on the complete silence since he said those few words it would appear he was right, complete silence for the next 4 years would make it appear he was really right.
 
MHz
#1402
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

"Achieving the necessary computational capabilities will still require years of hard engineering and scientific work. But we see a path clearly now, and we're eager to move ahead," it said in the post.

They should not take search results as a sign of what the future needs next. How about a 'salt-water battery'? instead.

All that computer power and suddenly net traffic has dropped off 43% wtf??

Only days before a big share sell off was to go through, . . . again, . . wtf.