Is Canada ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

F-150s are a bit cheaper and Gopherland folks like to save their pennies.

Depends on what you want it for Gopher. F- 150s are quite adequate for hauling groceries and flowers and the garbage out to the dump. You wouldn't want one for hauling a 30' 5th wheel.

petros
Why not? Who has a camper heavier than 13,000lbs?

Bar Sinister
[QUOTE=darkbeaver;2619682]They might as well ban bonfires. When you get between me and the fire

I,ll smash yer bones fer the nice heat

You can tell friendly peaple, they are warm,heat sucking people, vampires, are easily marked, he room got cold, the candle flickered, a soul changed position, shifted a hip, just lay there quietly, you did what you could, that was all that was asked demanded of life, what will the tax load be in the next life? I,m trying to find out if I can afford death?

I,am not breathing, but I still occupy space, how much of my budget should I allocate for the maintenance of my remains?

I think that your generation is aware of energy, but

Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

Three countries are leading the renewable energy revolution

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/02/countries- this idea of a renwewable energey revolution is pure stupid. Energy is not renewable, there is this much and no more, however harvesting energy can engender the illusion of producing energy which you can,t do because it already saturates your spatial reality I guess. It,ds always full , you can,t stuff it with bullshjt.

Sorry, splitting hairs won't change the move to solar and wind, and your comment does not refute my post in any way.

Danbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

something about gender equality a couple of weeks ago I think , but

Ah, so some squirrels got some hot nuts tossed their way...

Ohe saye..fire...aren't antifa into sabotage?

Sorry, splitting hairs won't change the move to solar and wind, and your comment does not refute my post in any way.

Yes wind powered cars are the way of the future.

taxslave

Why? someone here please provide some reason for this seeming miscarriage of logic

Thousands of mechanics wanted a break.

Twin_Moose

Why? someone here please provide some reason for this seeming miscarriage of logic

Fire at supplier shuts down F-150 , Pacifica and GM van production

spilledthebeer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

They ran out of parts, therefore stopping two Ford Assembly lines. The managers responsible were just re-assigned new responsibilities at the Ulan Bator branch.

Actually Ford has TEMPORARILY shut down their F 150 assembly line due to a fire at a plant making dashboard components!

Do not worry little LIE-berals -there will not be an electric Toy vehicle "victory" for gravy any time soon!

WE ALL know you LIE-berals are OBSESSED with the gravy you expect to rip out of our wallets if only you can force enough of us to buy your electric Toys- but it will NOT happen this year!

LIE-beral Wynne-bag will be leaving office FOREVER- in a few short weeks and other leaders will take over and kill your mouldy green electricity SCAM!

petros
+2
They just can't win.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4205423/t...ked-truck/amp/

Tesla sedan with autopilot feature rear-ends parked fire truck near Salt Lake City

INTERESTING

Consider this energy management scenario in the not-so-distant future. Imagine an EV with an 85 kilowatt hour (kWh) battery. The average home in Canada consumes between 25 kWh and 30 kWh a day, depending on where they live. As a result, a fully charged 85 kWh EV battery represents almost three times more power than one needs to run a home daily. The typical commuter’s electric vehicle only uses a small amount of its battery every day – to go to work, run a few errands and go home. Most people with electric vehicles would have energy capacity to spare at the end of an average day’s commute.

Consumers would be able to drive EVs to work the next day, plug in and have the building or parking lot buy the excess energy at lower time-of-use rates from their battery, to a limit they approve. The building could then use that energy to feed their facility’s own energy needs. Better still, consumers could use excess battery capacity to power their homes.

Another tax revenue stream. Selling power is income.

captain morgan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

They just can't win.

Tesla sedan with autopilot feature rear-ends parked fire truck near Salt Lake City

Fire trucks are pretty inconspicuous and I can see how the Tesla 'radar' missed picking-up on a parked fier truck.

Totally understandable

INTERESTING

Consider this energy management scenario in the not-so-distant future. Imagine an EV with an 85 kilowatt hour (kWh) battery. The average home in Canada consumes between 25 kWh and 30 kWh a day, depending on where they live. As a result, a fully charged 85 kWh EV battery represents almost three times more power than one needs to run a home daily. The typical commuter’s electric vehicle only uses a small amount of its battery every day – to go to work, run a few errands and go home. Most people with electric vehicles would have energy capacity to spare at the end of an average day’s commute.

Consumers would be able to drive EVs to work the next day, plug in and have the building or parking lot buy the excess energy at lower time-of-use rates from their battery, to a limit they approve. The building could then use that energy to feed their facility’s own energy needs. Better still, consumers could use excess battery capacity to power their homes.

Article doesn't make all that much sense to me, but I can only imagine that their #'s are careful to exclude things like ambient temperature, load or use of heaters/AC.

petros
+1
Or that you home charge isn't free.

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

Ah, so some squirrels got some hot nuts tossed their way...

Ohe saye..fire...aren't antifa into sabotage?

Yes wind powered cars are the way of the future.

I think given how stupid your recent comments have been you should stick to reporting on George Soros and the sasquatch.

Twin_Moose
+1

I don't have the desire or need for an new car. My old 2007 Sportage runs just fine and is fully paid for, so what would be the point. In any case your point is not relevant to the thread.

Completely relative to the conversation, your above post is the perfect example of trying to lead change by protest not by example. Crying about O&G pollution, championing EV revolution while driving an outdated gas burner, please tell me if you removed the catalytic converter for better fuel mileage. Does the 2007 even have the excess fuel burner in it?

pgs
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Completely relative to the conversation, your above post is the perfect example of trying to lead change by protest not by example. Crying about O&G pollution, championing EV revolution while driving an outdated gas burner, please tell me if you removed the catalytic converter for better fuel mileage. Does the 2007 even have the excess fuel burner in it?

The old do asI say argument.

spilledthebeer
+1

They just can't win.

INTERESTING

Here is a SIMPLE EXPLANATION of why you will NOT be selling "left over" electricity from your electric Toy car any time soon- your electric toy car runs on a DIFFERENT VOLTAGE than your house!

Oh sure- you can buy a transformer to alter the voltage- and suffer the loss of power that the transformer eats while functioning- so your already dubious benefit SHRINKS even further!

And.....what happens in the morning? Will you not want ALL that electricity BACK in your car battery so you can drive it?

Stupid LIE-berals believe they can build the financial and electrical equivalents of perpetual motion machines!

LIE-berals truly BELIEVE that if only they can borrow enough money they can make us rich!

And LIE-berals truly believe that current electric Toy vehicle technology can somehow be made profitable and successful - if only they spew enough ludicrous propaganda it it!

Sadly- there IS one thing we HAVE ALREADY PROVED- that LIE-berals expect to skim off HUGE piles of gravy from their electric toy vehicle and mouldy green energy SCAMS!

If you enjoyed the wonderful saving brought to you by smart meters then you will LOVE the COSTLY NON benefits of electric cars!

On the plus side- if you can call it that- LIE-berals will be VERY GRATEFUL for the gravy your electric Toy generates for them!

petros
+1

I don't have the desire or need for an new car. My old 2007 Sportage runs just fine and is fully paid for, so what would be the point. In any case your point is not relevant to the thread.

21 combined city/highway MPG 19 city 24 highway 4.8 gals/100 miles

Wow. What a gas pig.

spilledthebeer
+1

21 combined city/highway MPG 19 city 24 highway 4.8 gals/100 miles

Wow. What a gas pig.

The issue here is to reduce fossil fuel use WITHOUT destroying the economy in the process! We live in a democracy and LIE-berals who want to change our ways MUST produce sensible and logical plans to do so- AND SO FAR THEY HAVE PRODUCED ONLY GRAVY GRABBING LIES!

Consider:
Here is another in a series of excellent columns by Toronto Sun writer Lorry Goldstein has has done a wonderful job of exposing the various ways that tax mad LIE-berals are destroying our province. I have included a few comments of my own in brackets.) Goldstein writes:

Liberals planning agency to dictate how Ontarians use energy

By Lorrie Goldstein, Toronto Sun

First posted: Thursday, April 28, 2016 06:09 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, April 29, 2016 12:07 AM EDT

Higher electricity rates kick in for Ontario

Watching Ontario’s Liberal government address climate change is like watching children running through the hall with scissors.

It’s all fun and games until the taxpayer loses an eye.

This is the same government that couldn’t deliver on a known commodity like computerized medical health records, leading to the $1-billion eHeath scandal.

The same government that presided over the Ornge air ambulance fiasco that is still being investigated by the police.

The same government that wasted a billion dollars canceling two gas plants.

The same government that, in the one thing it did right on the pollution front — ending Ontario’s use of coal-fired electricity in 2014 — blew billions of dollars on unneeded, unreliable and expensive wind and solar power, while actually replacing coal with nuclear power and natural gas.

The same government that, aware of real-world experience (in British Columbia) showing a revenue neutral carbon tax is the best way to lower greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, chose the worst way.

That is an absurdly complicated cap-and-trade system which will increase government bureaucracy and cost Ontarians $2 billion annually to start, beginning next year.

A cap-and-trade scheme that has failed in Europe, where it has been inefficient at lowering emissions, sent consumer prices skyrocketing, driven millions of people into fuel poverty and is overrun by fraud and organized crime.

And where did the Liberals get their advice on setting up their cap-and-trade system?

From the architects of Europe’s 11-year-old cap-and-trade disaster, the Emissions Trading Scheme, of course.

Undeterred by this breathtaking record of incompetence, we now learn Premier Kathleen Wynne and Climate Change Minister Glen Murray are crafting a new government agency to dictate how Ontarians will use energy in the future.

This is so dumb it makes the former Soviet Union’s centrally-managed and disastrous five-year plan for the production of grain — which led to a famine — look like a work of genius.

According to the Globe and Mail, this new climate agency, no doubt to be headed by a climate czar, supported by untold climate minions, will issue diktats on everything from how utility companies supply electricity to their customers, to what kind of cars Ontarians buy.

Not content with having forced us to subsidize the purchase of five, $1.1 million Porsche 918 Spyder plug-in hybrids in Ontario — among the world’s most expensive cars — the Liberals are now plotting to game the car market so that every two-car household has at least one zero emission or hybrid vehicle in its driveway by 2024.

I say this LIE-beral car plan sounds like something from that insane literary utopia Brave new World in which it was the DUTY of all citizens to consume and purchase goods as dictated by govt or suffer a penalty!)

That means orchestrating the sale, with gawd only knows what public subsidies, of 1.7 million electric cars and hybrids by 2024, taking seven million gasoline-powered cars off the road by 2030 and ensuring that by 2050, 80% of Ontarians walk, bike or take public transit to work.

As one auto industry spokesman quipped to the Globe on whether it’s possible to reach such targets in the car market, it “depends on what you’re smoking”. Indeed.

Hoid
another topic the white nationalist climate change denier cannot shut up about.

petros
+2
Bolshevik

spilledthebeer

Bolshevik

OH YES! IT IS a brave new LIE-beral world! And if they have their way- their wallets will be full of brave new gobs of gravy!

All this talk of the ALLEGED FUTURE benefits of electric Toy vehicles is intended to distract us from current reality and disgusting sight of ALL LIE-beral policy FAILING!

LIE-beHere is an article illustrating the lunatic fiscal mess being created by LIE-beral spendoholics! With some comments of my own in brackets):

Toronto must address growing budget gap.

From Postmedia News. Published: March 16, 2018. Updated: March 16, 2018 7:29 AM EDT

Filed Under: Toronto SUN/ Opinion/ Editorials

Related

Columnists
MALCOLM: NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh linked to Sikh rapper who promotes independent homeland
Columnists
WALLACE: Ontario Liberals preside over decade of lost economic opportunity
Columnists
GOLDSTEIN: Wynne spills the beans on carbon pricing

The City of Toronto has tried for years to be all things to all people.

Public transit service, social housing landlord, garbage collector, fire, police and ambulance service, a safety net for the homeless, welfare provider, refugee support service.

(And most of all- Toronto Silly Hall has made sure its political allies get LOTS AND LOTS OF GRAVY- gravy for pals is the CHIEF FOCUS!)

Toronto council now spends more than several provincial governments – $13 billion including operating, garbage and water, plus more for capital, some $17 billion in total.

Years of living beyond its means, however, has caught up to a council that faces a growing budget gap – as much as $1.42 billion within five years, according to a recent report by departing city manager Peter Wallace that detailed options for a long-term fiscal plan.

(Toronto Silly Hall has been forbidden to run deficits so this growing gap between what they have promised and what they can pay is IMPORTANT! As Brit P.M. Margaret Thatcher observed: “the trouble with LIE-berals is that eventually they run out of other peoples money”! For Toronto Silly Hall it’s the season of empty pockets and broken promises!)

Wallace identifies four major concerns – growing risk from volatile revenue sources such as the Municipal Land Transfer Tax; the need to modernize Toronto’s public service and services; the disproportionate share Toronto pays for provincially mandated services such as public housing and council’s growing appetite to spend public money.

(Volatile revenue sources is NOT something Silly Hall can really control. It isnt a made in Toronto -problem that China has stopped buying our recycled crap. But it IS a Toronto problem that Silly Hall has NO plan B! Its going to cost millions to deal with the sudden pile up of crap- and the city is BROKE!)

(The municipal land transfer tax gave great gravy to the city for a while- its just too Bad about the massive housing bubble and IMMENSE private homeowner debts that came with it! And now LIE-beral spendaholics are growing uneasy with the dirty looks that bankers are giving them and so the housing market- that last/best place to invest money- has been killed off by LIE-beral orders to limit the cost of a housing crash- meaning no more housing gravy for Toronto- with NO plan B in place in spite of the advance warning of other levels of govt!)

(As for modernizing public services- refresh my memory here- HOW MANY DECADES AGO did TTC plan for the Down town relief line? Two decades? Four? Or MORE than four? With nothing done because Hog gravy is more important than city services! Silly Hall is so silly over gravy they THINK that supplying gravy IS the PRIME Silly Hall Public Service! Even worse- the amount of money WASTED on planning for LRT`s and subways and Smart Tracks and Railyard Park would probably have built a nice little extension to the Shepard subway line! And the vast cost over runs for York and Up lines have definitely hampered TTC!)

(And Toronto Silly Hall can cry me a river over affordable housing! They created MTHC at fire sale prices after basically extorting title to various rental properties from landlords using rent control black mail! Apartment owners sold off their worn out and badly in need of repair buildings to the city and took their money elsewhere- leaving the City with NO CLUE where to get the repair money needed! It is typical LIE-beral IMPULSE shopping! To make matters worse- it is Silly |Hall that designated itself a “sanctuary city” and began collecting illegals as if city leaders were crazy cat ladies collecting strays! And again- NO plan how to deal with the strays since you cannot round them up and offer them for adoption!)

(Silly Hall has spending problem so severe it needs group therapy to control its fiscal OCD! Like all addicts, Silly Hall is focussed on blaming other levels of govt for not riding to their rescue- but how can Silly Hall assign blame to people they supported and encouraged? Unless they want to first admit that ALL LIE-beral policy is WRONG?)

Council and its cabal of left-wing activist Councillors have always done a far better job at squandering public funds on pet and ideologically-driven projects than in efficiently managing the city’s budget, though Wallace was more measured.

(One has to think of Ataratiri- the vast Port Lands Housing project that Silly Hall spent a billion dollars on over 20 years ago and then found out the land was too polluted for people to live on- and yet this does not stop Silly Hall from wasting tax dollars designing planned communities on the Portlands- if only somebody would give them a couple of billion bucks to clean the place up first! Twenty years ago you could get a good chunk of subway built for that money!)

(Or we could consider Gardiner Expressway- that critical piece of infrastructure that Silly Hall holds in contempt- and wishes it would fall down- they have certainly and deliberately neglected it for long enough! The cost of repairing the road relic is climbing almost exponentially and yet Silly Hall can find neither the will nor the cash to repair it- AND they lack any plan B to supply a transit and transport alternative! All the people who use it for delivery work or for commuting will one nasty day suddenly find they are out of luck while Silly Hall shrugs in fake dismay and feigned concern!)

“Increasingly, property tax is used to fund services that provide broader social benefits, such as poverty reduction, housing, and transit expansion,” he wrote.

(Toronto is solidly LIE-beral RED! Their votes were KEY for LIE-berals and their insane policies- and in return Queens Park LIE-berals gave Toronto TEN TIMES MORE per citizen in transfer payments than any other city- and still the city is BROKE! Thatcher was right- those LIE-berals DO run out of OUR money! And now Toronto is looking at a probable Conservative govt in Queens Park in June 2018 and the ONLY HOPE of Silly Hall is that Ford gets a minority govt- otherwise the cosy little LIE-beral deals with Toronto will DIE! Along with LIE-beral govt- and guess what- Silly Hall has NO PLAN B!)

As a consequence things are, if not falling apart, in chronic disrepair. There’s some $30 billion needed for unfunded capital projects over the next ten years.

Meanwhile, not all of Toronto’s fiscal woes are the city’s doing.

Former Premier Mike Harris uploaded education expenses to the province in 1998 and downloaded services such as welfare, public health and social housing. Toronto now provides 90% of all public housing in the GTA.

(And just HOW LONG has Harris been gone? And yet somehow its all his fault STILL that Toronto and Ontari-owe are dead broke? LIE-berals have a second career as stand up comics! LIE-berals have been in power for 15 years and have succeeded ONLY in doubling our debt and turning us into a have not province! Yes- the former economic engine of Canada now gets federal pogey like Newfie fishermen mourning their lost Cod! LIE-berals have created a rich fantasy world in which our “booming economy” is somehow being crippled by immense job killing govt debts and idiot job killing revenue tools and colossal household debt so severe its all scaring our creditors! And yet NONE of this is seen as a LIE-beral created problem? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!)

The swap was supposed to be revenue neutral and a “living” agreement, but wasn’t. And the Liberals never bothered over 15 years to fix the agreement they complained bitterly about in opposition.

(Hypocrisy is the order of the day! For ALL our silver spoon socialist “leaders”!)

Kudos to Mayor John Tory and council for looking ahead and developing a long-term fiscal plan.

(Oh right- its that October 2018 municipal election staring them in the face- with a whole lot of NOTHING having been fixed, replaced or improved in four years of Jackass John Tory reign! And the worst of it is that in 2015 I SAID Jackass John was a human jellyfish- lacking the spine to defy civil service union Hogs and get anything useful done- and I do NOT count closing off King St as anything useful! The only thing he can point to as a legacy is his little parking blitz- that did help traffic a little!)

However, unless city councillors reign in their spending addiction, and unless the province fixes the social service funding mess it created there’s little chance Toronto will avoid a looming funding crisis.

(Oh don’t worry- “the province” WILL fix its funding service mess- people like Doug Ford and Andrew Sheer will do all they can to shut down the blood sucking civil service Hog greed that is behind every funding problem we face- at ALL FOUR levels of govt!)
ral policy is spinning like turds in a flushed toilet! Consider:

captain morgan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

another topic the white nationalist climate change denier cannot shut up about.

It's OK punkin.. Your Utopian society is just around the corner ~ at least, keep telling yourself that

Hoid
Elon Musk

Verified account

@elonmusk
12h12 hours ago
More
Tesla dual motor, all-wheel drive performance Model 3:
3.5 sec 0-60mph
155 mph Top Speed
310 mile Range

885 replies 3,837 retweets 29,493 likes
Reply 885 Retweet 3.8K Like 29K

Elon Musk

Verified account

@elonmusk
Follow Follow @elonmusk
More
Cost of all options, wheels, paint, etc is included (apart from Autopilot). Cost is $78k. About same as BMW M3, but 15% quicker & with better handling. Will beat anything in its class on the track.

petros
After doing one rum it drops to 3.7 seconds and 150mph.

captain morgan
+2
Is it on the 3rd run that this happens?

taxslave
+1

Elon Musk

Verified account

@elonmusk
12h12 hours ago
More
3.5 sec 0-60mph
155 mph Top Speed
310 mile Range

Elon Musk

Verified account

@elonmusk
Follow Follow @elonmusk
More
Cost of all options, wheels, paint, etc is included (apart from Autopilot). Cost is $78k. About same as BMW M3, but 15% quicker & with better handling. Will beat anything in its class on the track.

Now if only they could get just 1 built.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

A minor detail.. Insignificant really

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Someone is building them - pull your head out of the sand.

Number of electric cars continues to grow

https://www.cbs.nl/en-gb/news/2017/2...tinues-to-grow

Hoid
Tesla is already the number 2 automaker in the USA having surpassed Ford in market cap - and will soon overtake GM as the largest car company n America.

JLM
+2

Tesla is already the number 2 automaker in the USA having surpassed Ford in market cap - and will soon overtake GM as the largest car company n America.

Let's stick to the subject Hoid!
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wi...ars-2017-11-27

Someone is building them - pull your head out of the sand.

Number of electric cars continues to grow

https://www.cbs.nl/en-gb/news/2017/2...tinues-to-grow

Still fewer than 1% of vehicles manufactured!

spilledthebeer

Elon Musk

Verified account

@elonmusk
12h12 hours ago
More
3.5 sec 0-60mph
155 mph Top Speed
310 mile Range

Elon Musk

Verified account

@elonmusk
Follow Follow @elonmusk
More

Hoid tells us his favoured electric to car can Beat anything on the track!!!

Till the BATTERY DIES IN THE COLD! If LIE-beral sponsored electric toy cars were even half what LIE-berals claim we would see them at race tracks!

SO yeah- Hoid just supplied us with more fresh, ripe, steaming, straight form the back of the Bull, ORGANIC LIE-beral fertilizer!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Bar Sinister
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Let's stick to the subject Hoid!
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wi...ars-2017-11-27

Still fewer than 1% of vehicles manufactured!

Give me a statistic on horse drawn vehicles vs automobiles in 1900 and I suspect you would find an almost identical statistic. Just a question though - What do you have against electric cars? Do you own shares shares in an oil company?

Quote: Originally Posted by spilledthebeer View Post

Hoid tells us his favoured electric to car can Beat anything on the track!!!

Till the BATTERY DIES IN THE COLD! If LIE-beral sponsored electric toy cars were even half what LIE-berals claim we would see them at race tracks!

SO yeah- Hoid just supplied us with more fresh, ripe, steaming, straight form the back of the Bull, ORGANIC LIE-beral fertilizer!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Try again. Your shouted reply wasn't quite incoherent enough.