America Never Existed

Winnipeg10
Just wanted to say,

If America existed we would all be American and America would mean The Americas and/or it's 35 independent nations, and not just The United States of America.

There is no such thing as North America and South America as we all know as I said before Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians ect would all be Americans comming from their American respected country.

Too bad the U.S. blew it for the continent.

Niflmir
Free Thinker
No, we are all American. Our neighbours to the south are US citizens. They just have a terrible name.

EagleSmack
Oh well that is the way we do it. We call ourselves Americans...always have always will. The world calls us American too.

For example if a Canadian was to go to Europe and the European didn't see the Canadian flag on their backpack and asks...

"Hey... you're American."

The Canadian would w/o hesitation say...

"No Im Canadian"

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Pretty much. There are a few that don't. I say, "I'm from BC" most of the time. It's a good conversation starter. Not everyone knows what a BC is. lol "British Columbia", I say. They say, "Ah then you are British". I say, "Nope. I am a colonist"

EagleSmack
I'm a colonist too!

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Awesome!!

Winnipeg10
Just think of Europe, are any European countries exempt from being European? No, because they would not be in Europe. Same goes for America, no country in America is exempt from being American.

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by Niflmir View Post

No, we are all American. Our neighbours to the south are US citizens. They just have a terrible name.

Did you just say that we are all american and our neighbours to the south are mere united states citizens? Do you think we should rename them as provinces? Would that make the names sound better? There are lots of Eskimo names that haven't yet been used ... well ... none of it is taken, but ...

ironsides
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Winnipeg10 View Post

Just wanted to say,

If America existed we would all be American and America would mean The Americas and/or it's 35 independent nations, and not just The United States of America.

There is no such thing as North America and South America as we all know as I said before Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians ect would all be Americans comming from their American respected country.

Too bad the U.S. blew it for the continent.

The term "America" could have very well been attached to Canada or any country in North or South America, but it wasn't. The U.S. got the moniker first. Good for the U.S. to bad for the continent. America is the United States. Have to be quick and innovative for all the good title's and names.

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

I'm a colonist too!

Bad Colonial!

YukonJack
Conservative
This thread should be taught in schools as "Insane nitpicking 101".

EagleSmack
Or Insecurity 101

darkbeaver
Republican

Oh well that is the way we do it. We call ourselves Americans...always have always will. The world calls us American too.

For example if a Canadian was to go to Europe and the European didn't see the Canadian flag on their backpack and asks...

"Hey... you're American."

The Canadian would w/o hesitation say...

"No Im Canadian"

Hey that's true but we wouldn't have to tell them anything if it wasn't for you lot.

darkbeaver
Republican

Or Insecurity 101

You Americans have the most security because you also have the most insecurity we don't even have one security nuke to keep us warm at night.

Winnipeg10
I feel like starting a Non-Profit Organization called Back-Off America! Aimed at informing the United States of America to back off America. I feel if The United States of America is so ambiguous to America then that is just too bad for the U.S. Our first priority in this world is America, and not the U.S.A.

If people keep putting The United States of America ahead of our America then we could loose our American Nation and Culture to it. So in support of preserving our continent America and our Culture and land, I just might start this Non-Profit Organization.

Winnipeg10
Or better yet.. The International American Preservation Society.

Which one would you prefer?

A: The International American Preservation Society

or,

B: Back-Off America! A Non-Profit Organization

ironsides
No Party Affiliation
So, you approve of what NAFTA intends to do, one continent, one country, one currency, free trade from Panama to Canada.

wulfie68
No Party Affiliation
I don't have an issue with citizens of the United States of America calling themselves "Americans" because they are. Sort of like citizens of England can be called Britons (because of their living in the United Kingdom of Great Britain, and which is shared with Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish) or Europeans (although many don't consider them such because they are on islands off Europe and not part of the continental mainland). Citizens of the USA have every right to refer to themselves as American, but by the same token so do Canadians, Mexians, Argentinians, Colombians, et al. And what else are we supposed to call them? USAdians?

On the other hand, it does bug the anal retentive and precise part of me when people talk about the United States as "America" because America IS two continents, not just one nation.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Hey that's true but we wouldn't have to tell them anything if it wasn't for you lot.

Oh well...we're not going anywhere.

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker

Oh well...we're not going anywhere.

bobnoorduyn
Free Thinker
Since America was supposedly named using the feminzed latin first name of cartographer Amerigo Vespucci, what would they have called it had they used his last name? Any ideas? I'm sure Americans would shudder at that thought.

EagleSmack
We would have gone absolutely BANANAS! We go mental at that stuff! I can ONLY imagine if that "what if" had happened.

Plague! Famine! Pestilence! Gerbils!

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Vesppuccinos. Cappuccino's cousins. lol

EagleSmack
United States of Cappucino... and we'd be all be Cappucino's...and some folks would say...

"Hey... we all are Cappucino's!"

karrie
No Party Affiliation
Seriously? Two threads devoted to this issue?

I'm a North American from Canada. My American friends are North Americans from the United States of America. It's pretty simple.

dumpthemonarchy
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Seriously? Two threads devoted to this issue?

I'm a North American from Canada. My American friends are North Americans from the United States of America. It's pretty simple.

Americans in the US never use the term "North America" to describe themselves. They only use it out of politeness when Canadians are around. A man I met from England said he had never heard of the term North America.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

Americans in the US never use the term "North America" to describe themselves. They only use it out of politeness when Canadians are around. A man I met from England said he had never heard of the term North America.

He'd never heard of a continent? I find that highly doubtful.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

North America is the name of the continent. For someone not to have heard of it, he'd have to have missed an awful lot of geography in school.

Winnipeg10
Remember, The City of Winnipeg, Canada is located geographically and GPS as exactly Central North America, which also The United States of America aka America claims to be part of.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Winnipeg10 View Post

Remember, The City of Winnipeg, Canada is located geographically and GPS as exactly Central North America, which also The United States of America aka America claims to be part of.

Where does the United States of America claim to be the geographic centre of North America?