What constitutes blashpemy?

karrie
An article I read today about the church crying 'blasphemy' due to a zombie parade which utilized Christian symbols in it, struck me on a bad note.

Blasphemy.

It's a heavy word. It's a meaningful word. But what do we truly mean by it? In my lifetime I've heard it thrown at a lot of seemingly minor things. Where do we draw the line with it? What makes something truly blasphemous? Is the use of a religious symbol by someone who doesn't put any faith in it blasphemous? Or is it only blasphemy for the believer? Is there a degree attached to blasphemy? Would throwing a tiny cross into a pile of pig manure be noticed by anyone? What about planting a 5 ft high cross in that same puddle of manure?

I'm sure I'll come up with more examples, but, I'm curious to hear people's thoughts.

lone wolf
I think it's a Church word for terrorist....

Woof!

karrie
Terrorist hey? The infliction of injury through disrespect of an object one holds symbolic? Terrifying, truly.

eh1eh
Quote:

'blasphemy'

It has no meaning to me me what so ever.

The prerequisite being the beleif in the said religion that would consider whatever act to be blasphemous.

Context note:

Just imagine I'm pulling those 'quote fingers' above my head when I say those italics word above. Yep, that last one in the last sentence too.

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Terrorist hey? The infliction of injury through disrespect of an object one holds symbolic? Terrifying, truly.

Tell someone who's really touchy about things like that that God's damned him and I suppose it really could do harm.... My grandmother spat the word with enough venom to terrify the worst of hooligans (me mostly)

Zan
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Tell someone who's really touchy about things like that that God's damned him and I suppose it really could do harm.... My grandmother spat the word with enough venom to terrify the worst of hooligans (me mostly)

lol - that just reminded me of the time my brother's mother-in-law called him a Godless Heathen. Yep - I'm sure it was capitalized when she said it. I nearly cried I laughed so hard, mainly 'cause she's right ...but the way she 'spat' that phrase out at him was priceless.