Some measure of justice for Nina

karrie

Youth gets life in prison for Courtepatte death

Updated Thu. Oct. 18 2007 8:07 PM ET
The Canadian Press
EDMONTON -- The mother of a 13-year-old girl who was raped twice and bludgeoned to death cheered in court Thursday and cried tears of joy as the man who helped kill her daughter was sentenced to life in prison.
The 19-year-old man sexually assaulted and beat Nina Courtepatte with a sledgehammer in April 2005 after she was lured from West Edmonton Mall with the promise of a party. He was 17 at the time.
The defence wanted him sentenced as a youth, but provincial court Judge Janet Franklin said the teen's long history of severe mental problems and violence make it unlikely that he can safely return to the community after committing such a horrendous, brutal crime.
"A youth sentence would not have sufficient length of time to provide meaningful and appropriate skilled assistance to help the man make progress in overcoming his almost 20 years of mental health issues,'' Franklin said of the man who doctors say is devoid of empathy and shows strong signs of being a psychopath.
"The doctors say that maybe in his 40s, 50s or 60s he will become insightful. It is opined that he may never be.''
The man, who appeared in court wearing a blue suit and leg shackles, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder for the crime. He has since apologized, but doctors doubt the sincerity of the gesture.
He will not be eligible for parole for 10 years.
Franklin said the slightly built, bookish-looking young man exhibited mental problems starting at the age of four. He once threatened to kill a Grade 2 classmate.
He grew up in a home filled with physical, sexual and emotional abuse and sought escape in a fantasy world full of violence where he dreamed of becoming a superhero or a professional wrestler.
When his mental problems grew worse, his mother handed him over to Alberta Children's Services after she found many knives in his room. He was 12 at the time.
"From the age of four he could not be parented, managed, educated or counselled effectively with the most intensive one-on-one assistance available,'' Franklin said.
"Violence offers a sense of power and release for him.''
Courtepatte's mother, Peacha Atkinson, hugged friends and family inside court, flashing a rare smile as she savoured the judge's decision to sentence the man as an adult.
But outside court she said the pain of her daughter's death still lingers.
"I am glad the judge has seen through his lies,'' she said. "I can never move on.''
Even though the man was sentenced as an adult he can't be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act pending a 30 day time period where he can file an appeal of the sentence.
His lawyer, Rick Stroppel, said his client is considering such an appeal.
A court hearing has been scheduled for Dec. 21 to hear submissions on where the man should serve his sentence.
The man is one of five people charged in Nina's death.
A girl who was also 17 at the time was found guilty of manslaughter.
The Crown is appealing her conviction and she has yet to be sentenced.
One adult, Joseph Laboucan of Fort St. John, B.C., has been convicted of first-degree murder in the case. His co-accused, Michael Briscoe of Edmonton, was acquitted.
Laboucan is appealing his conviction, while the Crown is appealing Briscoe's acquittal.
The trial of a second teenaged girl has been delayed because she fired her lawyer on the opening day of her trial.
Atkinson said with the other trial and two appeals pending her family still has more pain to endure.
But Thursday's sentencing gives her a sense of hope.
"I am really glad what he got today,'' she said. "I know I can breathe a little easier that another one has been dealt with.''

#juan
Wow. That is ugly. I sincerely wish we had a real life sentence in this country because here is a group who truly deserve it. It is cases like this that make me reconsider the death penalty.

Twila
There is no "curing" a psychopath. I hope he spends months and months in the hole then accidently let into gp with a jar of vaseline and a baggie of sand tied to his neck

karrie
As someone on 'The Bear' said the other day.... I wish that our justice system was actually just enough that we don't spend our time waiting for rape and murder within the prisons to actually make the sentence seem fair.

juan, you're totally right... life should be an honest to goodness life sentence for some people.

I still don't support the death penalty, but, cases like this do make me wish I'd bend on it too.

jimmoyer
la Nina means girl in Spanish.
el Nino --- little boy.

Stretch
In Australia we tried to get "Truth In Sentencing" introduced. That meant if you were sentenced to 10 yrs you did 10 yrs....there was no early release for good behaviour, good behaviour starts before the offence, not after it. We also tried to have judges/magistrates charged with being an accessory after the fact if they let someone out on bail and they reoffended............bit like banging ones head against a brick wall tho'

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

As someone on 'The Bear' said the other day.... I wish that our justice system was actually just enough that we don't spend our time waiting for rape and murder within the prisons to actually make the sentence seem fair.

juan, you're totally right... life should be an honest to goodness life sentence for some people.

I still don't support the death penalty, but, cases like this do make me wish I'd bend on it too.

I don't support the death penalty either......Every time I get close to supporting it, another wrongful conviction pops up.
This case makes you wonder where the hell these people's heads were at. Raping a thirteen year old girl and beating her to death with a hammer leaves no room for mercy or understanding.

karrie
To me, placing a sentence on someone and then giving them time off for good behavior is awful.

It should be, yeah, truth in sentencing. If you're going to give someone 25 years, give them 25. And then instead of reducing their sentence for good behavior, lengthen it for bad.

#juan
Quote:

It should be, yeah, truth in sentencing. If you're going to give someone 25 years, give them 25. And then instead of reducing their sentence for good behavior, lengthen it for bad.

Lengthen it for bad.......Now there's a thought. Has it ever happened? We sentence some animal to our version of "life in prison" with no chance of parole for ten years, and then we muck around with appeals for two or three years and by the time he is ready to serve the sentence, some miracle has further reduced the sentence by twice the time already served. Don't ya just love it......?

flutterby
Quote:

Even though the man was sentenced as an adult he can't be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act pending a 30 day time period where he can file an appeal of the sentence.

his name is MICHAEL WILLIAMS

Twila
Flutterby, how'd you find out?

flutterby
i saw it on another site.

Quote:

Nina Courtepatte's mother is ecstatic that a "highly psychopathic" man who raped and beat to death her 13-year-old daughter when he was 17 can finally be named.
However, she still can't actually say the killer's name.
A youth court judge yesterday ruled Michael Williams, 19, would receive an adult sentence on his guilty plea to first-degree murder and handed him an automatic life term with no eligibility for parole for 10 years. As a result, Judge Janet Franklin also ruled Williams could be identified by name for the first time.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmo...88457-sun.html

Nuggler
I thought "life" meant no chance of parole for at least 25 years??!! Actual life would work for me though. He will no doubt be kept in "protective custody". Too bad. Where was "protective custody" for the little girl??

Like Juan I start to think about supporting the death penalty (not that it matters a damn what I think), and then someone is found innocent after serving half or so of a "life" sentence.

Anyway, in this case, bravo for at least 10 years, and it should be more, and, and,and, maybe the other inmates (who are probably just as bad), will do an execution for "society".

Jesus wept!!! A SLEDGE HAMMER FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!

PRICK!!