More face masks in Canada!

Locutus
Ezra LevantVerified account ‏@ezralevant You're a racist if you don't like them:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/masked-intruders-demand-uqam-students-follow-boycott-1.2311364 …

Masked intruders burst into a classroom at l’Université du Québec à Montréal last night and demanded students leave because they were not respecting the boycott organized by anti-austerity protesters.

A second-year law student at UQAM, who does not want to be identified, said the masked intruders shut off the lights and turned off computers.

“They started screaming at us, saying, ‘You are not respecting the strike,’” the student told CTV Montreal.

Lecturer Daniel St-Pierre managed to take pictures of the intruders, and called their tactics intimidating.

“A few girls left because they were afraid and they did not want to have any problems,” he said.

Groups representing 100,000 Quebec students have voted in favour of boycotting classes to protest the provincial government’s spending cuts.

UQAM says students have a right to boycott classes, but not to prevent others from attending. It obtained a 10-day injunction against five student associations and 34 protesters.

The law student said “everyone in the class was really scared, we were shaking. There was even a student who had a panic attack.”
Some students have filed a complaint to the school and asking for more security at UQAM.

With a report from CTV Montreal

damngrumpy
+1
Doesn't matter soon when times get tough and there are more strikes
an injunction won't stop anyone from anything. Remember the federal
government is trying to take society back to the old days before medicare
pensions etc. When that happens unfortunately the rest comes with it.
The old days on the picket lines didn't care for niceties even into the 70's
As someone who has been in management and the union I don't like what
I am seeing. From workforce to student union society is changing slowly.
The reason is respect is being forced not freely given and when that happens
When that happens the public turns on government institutions science
religion and god knows what else.

taxslave
+3
In a free society no one should have to put up with these kind of scare tactics. The right to protest ends when it interferes with someone elses rights. Since students are not employees they have no legal right to strike. Serious jail time is called for.

Sal
+5
#4  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

In a free society no one should have to put up with these kind of scare tactics. The right to protest ends when it interferes with someone elses rights. Since students are not employees they have no legal right to strike. Serious jail time is called for.

no they absolutely should be allowed to demonstrate, show their protest...what they should not be doing is forcing others, and I agree, they should be arrested

Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

The reason is respect is being forced not freely

respect is something that has gone by the wayside, respect given to others just because a being respects themselves has lost it's value

people who have decided they are are entitled are incapable of understanding nuance or what disrespecting another human being reflects about themselves

nimrod
+1
My problem is not protest but masked protest.It says we want to change things by intimidation and escaping whatever punishments a legitimate protestor must face as part of their opinions/ convictions-civil disobediance

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by nimrod View Post

My problem is not protest but masked protest.It says we want to change things by intimidation and escaping whatever punishments a legitimate protestor must face as part of their opinions/ convictions-civil disobediance

You're kidding, right? you have a problem with face coverings? I'm sure those protesters feel far more comfortable with their face covered.

Cliffy
+1
Ya, I have a problem with face covering too:

Ludlow
Happy to see that griping is not indigenous to the US only.

nimrod
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

You're kidding, right? you have a problem with face coverings? I'm sure those protesters feel far more comfortable with their face covered.

No inconsistency on my part my friend-you are referring to my defense of Niqab lady in another post.Two different things-that are not compatible.
I see nothing that you could find to disagree in what i wrote except a facetious argument with no logic.My polar opposite-is perfectly logical -Niqab lady followed law-uncover in private.Students -breaking the law -even a bad one should show their faces.
Let us hope the habit of dragging lost arguments to new threads will not become endemic.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ludlow View Post

Happy to see that griping is not indigenous to the US only.

Misery loves company?

Protests often do interfere with some body else's rights whether they are or are not entrenched in law,custom or tradition.We protest what we feel unjust-bad laws.I think in this instance students over-reacted and by masking were trying to evade responsibility.
Everything is relative.
The Amritsar massacre of over 1500 men women and children following Gandhi's non violence protest was an over reaction of massive proportions.Yet the officer in charge and his men had the law behind them.If you wanna dance-you really should face the music...

Ludlow
Quote: Originally Posted by nimrod View Post

No inconsistency on my part my friend-you are referring to my defense of Niqab lady in another post.Two different things-that are not compatible.
I see nothing that you could find to disagree in what i wrote except a facetious argument with no logic.My polar opposite-is perfectly logical -Niqab lady followed law-uncover in private.Students -breaking the law -even a bad one should show their faces.
Let us hope the habit of dragging lost arguments to new threads will not become endemic.

Misery loves company?

Protests often do interfere with some body else's rights whether they are or are not entrenched in law,custom or tradition.We protest what we feel unjust-bad laws.I think in this instance students over-reacted and by masking were trying to evade responsibility.
Everything is relative.
The Amritsar massacre of over 1500 men women and children following Gandhi's non violence protest was an over reaction of massive proportions.Yet the officer in charge and his men had the law behind them.If you wanna dance-you really should face the music...

apparently

Colpy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

The law student said “everyone in the class was really scared, we were shaking. There was even a student who had a panic attack.”
Some students have filed a complaint to the school and asking for more security at UQAM.

With a report from CTV Montreal

Geezus Guys, grow a set!

In any sensible world the invaders would have been physically tossed from the class, which would have proceeded as scheduled.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Ya, I have a problem with face covering too:

There is a difference between face covering and safety equipment.

Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Geezus Guys, grow a set!

In any sensible world the invaders would have been physically tossed from the class, which would have proceeded as scheduled.

But their Iphones didn't have an app for that.

gerryh

There is a difference between face covering and safety equipment.

how are the balaclavas that they are wearing "safety" equipment?