Why can't religions get along??

Jersay
It is an interesting site.

gc
Quote:

Atheism is to belief as bald is to hair colour.

Then atheism would be flesh coloured?

Atheism is a belief. It's different than other religions, but it's still a belief.

thecdn
Quote: Originally Posted by gc

Quote:

Atheism is to belief as bald is to hair colour.

Then atheism would be flesh coloured?

Atheism is a belief. It's different than other religions, but it's still a belief.

Different than other religions? Atheism is a religion? Wrong again...How can not believing in the made up bs of the theists be a religion?

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by thecdn

Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

Quote:

Oh, I get it, the tired old Stalin mis-direction.

We aren't just going to forget about it.

Yes, because Stalins reign was all about atheism and not about economic systems and politics and getting and retaining power for the sake of it.

Stalin was a lousy human who did terrible things. But I don't think it was because of his lack of belief in a deity.

Of course I didn't bring up Stalin, I brought up the state, but I was thinking of the USSR and China....

I also think it is a bit more complicated than your suggesting.

MikeyDB
Santa Clause exists in every that 'god' exists.

Graeme
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDB

Santa Clause exists in every that 'god' exists.

actually it's kinda interesting you should say that, when I was a little kid (3 or 4 years old) I figured out that Santa couldn't be real because it was impossible for one man to travel all around the world and deliver presents in one night. Santa's power was very limited afterall he had to come down the chimney at every single house.

Where as God to me was always possible, and I always believed in God. God had infinite power, and could quite literally do anything. So by me his existance was accepted.

Dexter Sinister
In the modern world it seems to me it's mostly just the three major monotheisms that can't get along, and the reason seems perfectly obvious to me: all three claim to have some kind of absolute knowledge, a lock on some form of absolute truth, but they differ on what it is. Obviously at best only one of them can be right, though it seems more parsimonious to me, given that they're only three in a long line of assorted belief systems, to consider all three to be wrong.

I see that the "atheism is a belief" claim has arisen again here. A belief in what, exactly? I suspect the reasoning behind that claim is that if theists can claim atheism is a belief, then they can dismiss atheist criticisms of their own beliefs; atheists would have no plausible justification for such criticism, as they'd be guilty of exactly what they're criticizing. There's a big difference philosophically, however, between positively believing something doesn't exist, and not believing that it does. The former is indeed a belief, the latter is an absence of belief, and it's where all the atheists I know, myself included, are standing.

dekhqonbacha
Quote: Originally Posted by Vereya

The main reason why religions fight each other is really quite simple - the more followers you have, the more money they bring you and the more power you have. It is true about political leaders, and it is true about established religions. The more people you convince that your god is the only true one, the stronger you are.

Quote: Originally Posted by thecdn

Because it is so important for each religion to be 'right.' You can't be 'right' unless someone else is 'wrong.' When everything comes down to faith, because there is no logical reason to believe in deities, you have to believe that your faith is correct.

Very good points.