Android 2.0 Phones

Francis2004
Quote: Originally Posted by Andem View Post

After I got my shiny new Motorola Milestone Android phone, I thought it was such a relief not having to deal with costly Nokia Maps anymore as a GPS device.

It should also work with the very similar Motorola Droid.

Here's how you get access to the Google Maps with Navigation function which is limited to the US at the moment. This should work in Canada or Europe or anywhere else outside of the US:

1. Install SpeechSynthesis Data Installer from the Market.
  2. Download Maps3.2.1-patched-no-root.apk from here or here to your computer. This must be done from your PC and transferred to the phone.
  3. Download a file explorer application. AndExplorer does the trick.
  4. Goto the file explorer and install the AndExplorer package.
  5. Done! You now have navigation on your phone.
Your phone now has two versions of Google Maps. The one with M4ps in the description as opposed to Maps should get you started!

How do you find the speed on the Motorola Andem ?

Do you think it is quite as good as the Blackberries ( Newer Versions ) Storms, Bolds and Curves ( both with Blackberry Maps and Google Maps ) ?

Have you been able to compare them to iPhones ?

Have you seen the Paml Pre ?

What about Samsung's ?

Just wondering if you had time to look at them and test drive them all.. I will be looking at a new one in a bit and was wondering..

DurkaDurka
Nice phone, Andem. The android is a beauty as far as smartphones go.

Andem
Quote: Originally Posted by Francis2004 View Post

How do you find the speed on the Motorola Andem ?

Do you think it is quite as good as the Blackberries ( Newer Versions ) Storms, Bolds and Curves ( both with Blackberry Maps and Google Maps ) ?

Have you been able to compare them to iPhones ?

Have you seen the Paml Pre ?

What about Samsung's ?

Just wondering if you had time to look at them and test drive them all.. I will be looking at a new one in a bit and was wondering..

I've tested out the Blackberry Storm, the Blackberry Curve 8900 and iPhones.

Firstly, I can't stand the iPhone. I think it's an overhyped and overpriced piece of crap with very little customisation and it certainly doesn't fit my needs. I don't like to be limited to only a touch screen either.

The BlackBerry Storm, I didn't like very much at all. The touch functionality seriously lacks and it just didn't feel as solid as it looks. As for the BB 8900, it lacks 3G functionality which defeats the whole purpose of having an unlimited HSDPA dataplan.

This new phone, the Motorola Milestone, essentially the Motorola Droid offered in the US may well be considered the iPhone killer. It does everything an iPhone can and much, much more. Another reason why I like this phone is because I can login to any linux terminal via SSH and for example, restart Canadian Content if the web server ever stalled -- on the go. The camera's autofocus is still buggy, but presumably, there will be a software update on 11 Dec which should resolve that.

The slide-out keyboard isn't that great, but I liked it better than the Blackberry Curve 8900. It will take some getting used to and my WPM is slightly improving as I use it.

Out of all of the phones I've looked at, the Milestone beats them all.

The speed, by the way, is quite good. I don't like the Android browser, but I've got a free alternative called Dolphin which works nicely.

Francis2004
Hi Andem, I looked to see who would carry this device in Canada.. At this point it really is not clear and listed as far as I could tell..

Looks like it will go under Motorola Milestone

From the specs I would imagine either Telus / Bell ( Verizon in US ) would be the primary ones but both are really into the iPhones and Blackberries right now having just launched the 3G Networks and might not go there for a long time due to contract obligations.

My other issue is my like Durka I prefer to deal with Rogers as I get better service. I have a lot of Grandfathered in freebies on my contract for the long time service I have had with them.

Personally I think either giants are just as bad as the other ( Bell / Telus / Rogers ) so using either is no better and the technology is all merging anyway.. Soon they will all be 3G HSDPA ( and LTE in going forward ) and one will be able to claim better speed then they other if the system are close to identical technology. The only difference will be in the equipment used and that becomes a really fine point as many fix and match base stations, repeaters and so on..

As noted in quite a few Google search articles, the frustration Canada faces, is getting the darn phones.. Newer versions come out in Europe much faster then Canada or even the US.. This has been the case for many years now and the technology for such things as Cell Phones in North America is pitiful..

DurkaDurka
Francis, you might be able to purchase one from the US and put in a Rogers SIM card.

Francis2004
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

Francis, you might be able to purchase one from the US and put in a Rogers SIM card.

I am sure I could well get an unlocked version of it without even crossing the border.. Craigslist probably has them listed and here in Vancouver ( also known as Hongcouver ) one could probably pick one up at a downtown Cell store for the same price.

However if I am going to pay market value of a device I want it legal..

Andem
Motorola Milestone: A US release has not been announced and I don't expect to see it anytime soon there, but it will be available in Canada through Telus, I believe in late January.

>> Francis, you might be able to purchase one from the US and put in a Rogers SIM card.

The US version, known as Droid is a CDMA only phone and hence no SIM card slot.

>> I am sure I could well get an unlocked version of it without even crossing the border

At the moment, I highly doubt that unless it would be counterfeit or really expensive (or both). The Milestone has only been released in Italy and Germany. Or maybe also the UK as I know they announced it would be available exclusive only through a retailer over there sometime in December.

DurkaDurka
The US version is CDMA only? That's pretty ghetto. You would think that Telus would have Motorola manufacture them one capable of using their HSPA network.

Andem
Yeah Telus will get the Milestone (Milestone = GSM, Droid = CDMA).

DurkaDurka

Yeah Telus will get the Milestone (Milestone = GSM, Droid = CDMA).

Sorry, am used to Canada getting the same phones as the US in the past.

CDMA maxes out at what, 2-3 megabit/second?

DurkaDurka
I would consider getting one of the milestones if they ever become available on Rogers. It's about the only smartphone that would do more then my current jailbroken Iphone.

Andem
Hey Durka, since the Milestone is available through Telus now, I was wondering if you did end up purchasing one?

DurkaDurka

Hey Durka, since the Milestone is available through Telus now, I was wondering if you did end up purchasing one?

Unfortunately, no. I am stuck on a contract with Rogers for another year and a half. Also, I think my girlfriend would kill me if I purchased any more gadgets.