World Series

Cannuck
Rootin' for Philly I am. Great game by Lee tonight.

In Between Man
I second that! Go Phillies!!!

gopher
God's Favorite Team won tonight.

All even @ 1-1.

gopher
God's Favorite Team wins again!!!

World Series Championship # 27!

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Kreskin
Oh for crying out loud Gopher. It ain't God's, it's Wall Street's favorite.

gopher
LOL! Minnesota Twins' owner Carl Pohlad is twice as wealthy as George Steinbrenner. He refuses to spend money on free agents and then demands that the taxpayers subsidize him by building a new stadium at taxpayer expense!

Corporate welfare at its worse!

talloola
Glad the yankees won, jeter has been my favourite player for years, and
it's nice to see A Rod get his first one too.

gopher

Every time a Democrat is in the White House the Yankees win the World Series!

HOORAAAAAY !!!

Blackleaf
Baseball (the rules of which go way over my head, though it looks uncanilly like rounders, a sport that only schoolgirls in Britain play) is on Channel 5 in Britain in the early hours of the morning. So people tend to have it on if they are suffering from insomnia as it's a perfect cure.

Tonington
Matsui really deserves that MVP. What a great performance that was. It's really something to watch those Japanese players who seem to know better than the North American players when to swing for the fence, and when to just place the ball ( which takes quite a bit of skill to do). Matsui's hit in the bottom of the third is a perfect example, contrasted against the pitch he put in the second deck. When I was playing ball, Paul Molitor was one of my idols. I tried very hard to emulate his style of batting. Learned to switch hit and had a pretty good inside-out swing by the time I was 12!

It's hard to cheer for the Yankees organization. I 'll cheer for the New York fans and for Matsui and the Japanese baseball fans. I was pulling for the Phillies, but that team also has a pretty stacked line-up and will probably be doing as well next year.

Risus
Once again the yankees bought a world series championship.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Baseball (the rules of which go way over my head, though it looks uncanilly like rounders, a sport that only schoolgirls in Britain play) is on Channel 5 in Britain in the early hours of the morning. So people tend to have it on if they are suffering from insomnia as it's a perfect cure.

It's like cricket without the corny wickets.

talloola
If anyone watches almost any sport without knowing 'the rules' and 'the strategies',
it isn't very enjoyable, (maybe tiddley winks). Baseball is a great game, full of strategies that run very
deep, and the talent now is better than ever in the past, some of the plays that
are made, seem so easy, but are not, I have great respect for the
years of training and hard work those players have spent on their craft, and it
is a pleasure to watch them perform.
It's also good to see how many canadians are making their mark in the big
leagues, more and more all the time.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

I don't think you pommy bastards have alot to say. You guys play cricket...and stop in the middle of the game to have tea.

gopher
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

Once again the yankees bought a world series championship.

You are mistaken. The Yanks did not spend too much -- it's the other teams failed to spend enough.

Yankees # 1 FOREVER!!!

Cannuck
I agree. We need to spend more money on athletes.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

I don't think you pommy bastards have alot to say. You guys play cricket...and stop in the middle of the game to have tea.

He might not be aware of the intricacies of the game. For example, there is one guy who crouches and points to his privates. This makes the pitcher really excited and more likely to create hard balls. In turn, the man nearest to the lewd-gesturing croucher will try to remove his balls outside of the park. It is all closely observed by an umpire who tells them if it is done safely.

Cannuck
Sometimes the players have to take their balls home in a cup

YouTube - Crotch Hit

Kreskin
That is a very difficult skill. Precision is required for a swinger to thrust forward and connect with the ball.

EagleSmack
Goopher...a guy from Minnesota is a NY Yankees fan. Of course he is.

Just another guy on the bandwagon.

This is where I agree with the Canadians...

YANKEES SUCK!

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

That is a very difficult skill. Precision is required for a swinger to thrust forward and connect with the ball.

It really depends on the size of your bat. Some cover more of the plate.

gopher
''Goopher...a guy from Minnesota is a NY Yankees fan. Of course he is.'

Hey Eagle eye - your vision, like your thinking, isn't very sharp. How many times have I said on this forum that I was raised in Brooklyn, NY and lived there most of my life?

EagleSmack
I never saw it once. But being from NY sort of explains a lot.

gopher
... that's right --- it's GOD's country!