If God Existed Would You Live Differently?

grainfedpraiboy
+1 / -1
Would you live your life differently if God existed and when I ask that hypothetical question I mean that God existed beyond irrefutable proof to you personally whatever that proof might constitute?

I find it difficult to accept that people, religious or secular, with all their faults and violence and selfishness etc would continue to live the way they do if they knew for sure their actions now were being judged for an eternal after life. For example, would you still buy the latest iPhone or if God actually existed would you send the money overseas to cure blindness in a dozen children?

CDNBear
+2
Yes.

Goober
A world renowned Philosopher, Canadian at that, stated that religion does serve a positive purpose within society.
And he is an atheist.

spaminator
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by grainfedpraiboy View Post

If God Existed Would You Live Differently?

in releated news grain wins guiness world record for being struck by lightning.

WLDB
+1
Ive never had an iphone. I doubt the existence of a god would have changed that. I have donated to a couple charities over the years. I also doubt the existence of a god would have changed that. So no, I doubt it.

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

Ive never had an iphone. I doubt the existence of a god would have changed that. I have donated to a couple charities over the years. I also doubt the existence of a god would have changed that. So no, I doubt it.

So you are are completely free of "sin"?

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

You posted a similar thread a tad back did you not?

taxslave
+2
Probably not. Depends on wether this gawd is the vengeful dictator that christians believe in or one more of the Buddhist variety. Or one of the ones my ancestors believed in.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Probably not. Depends on wether this gawd is the vengeful dictator that christians believe in or one more of the Buddhist variety. Or one of the ones my ancestors believed in.

Not all believe that.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

You posted a similar thread a tad back did you not?

Might have. I post lots of sh*t.

gerryh
+3
No, and that's because for me, I have irrefutable proof.

SLM
+1

Yes.

Well that's no fun!

CDNBear
+4
#13  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Well that's no fun!

I said I'd do things differently, I didn't say I was going to become a Monk!

SLM
+3

I said I'd do things differently, I didn't say I was going to become a Monk!

Thanks for the clarification, lol.

I wouldn't do things differently, not for that reason anyway. Sure I have some regrets in my life and I'm far from perfect, but I do try to be the best person I can be. I can't envision any God that would want more than that.

MHz
Even if you didn't change and never came to believe in Him that doesn't eliminate you from being gathered. Since the first that get gathered face a scene that is 1,000's of time more frightening than the events leading up to 'the return' being around for the first part might not be to their liking. Job:14 has him asking that the change not happen before all wrath is past, sending Satan and the fallen angels to the lake is as wrathful as it gets.

55Mercury
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Well that's no fun!

SLM! Stop slithering!

and put down that apple!

petros
+1
If we didn't win the lotto of life by being born Canadian with everything handed over on a silver platter would more people believe?

JLM
Oh sh*t yeah, I'd be rich!

Tecumsehsbones
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by grainfedpraiboy View Post

Would you live your life differently if God

Depends on what she had to say.

WLDB
+2

Hell no. But I had sin even when I was a believer. I guess we now need to get into which god it is that hypothetically exists. It may not care one way or another about that stuff, or it could be a hardcore Kim Il Sung or Stalin like being. If thats the case we're screwed no matter what.

Twila
Nope.

talloola
+4
we are judged now, and at the end of the day, how we lived is remembered and has a big affect on
how our children live and how we are remembered.

we are judged by living inside the laws of the land, and not becoming a criminal, which also reflects
poorly on everyone closely connected to us.

i can't imagine any god actually being real on this earth, but i know many real people who think they
are a god and should be bowed and scraped to at all times, well, we all know how we feel aobut those
types, so anyone who said they are really god, would be treated the same, get real, get down off of
your pedestal and join the rest of us, you are not respected with that attitude.

jeesh

petros
Quote:

i can't imagine any god actually being real on this earth

And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

i can't imagine any god actually being real on this earth, but i know many real people who think they
are a god and should be bowed and scraped to at all times, well, we all know how we feel aobut those
types, so anyone who said they are really god, would be treated the same, get real, get down off of
your pedestal and join the rest of us, you are not respected with that attitude.

I'm pretty sure one of the main points is that if somebody can't literally do what is attributed to God in the Bible then you shouldn't worship them, all people deserve to be respected, none deserve worship for many reasons.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

I'm pretty sure one of the main points is that if somebody can't literally do what is attributed to God in the Bible then you shouldn't worship them, all people deserve to be respected, none deserve worship for many reasons.

I think you hit the nail on the head, MHz!

El Barto
+2
No not at all , I will be praised or I will be damned but it will be on my terms. If he does exist then he/she will understand

MHz
Perhaps a Mod will move it. In the meantime you have heard of New Jerusalem right? 1600 mile cube. The Bible sticking out of the earth is how most people would picture it. Some people did the math below that sort of fits into the 'weird list' but when sectioning it up the ratio that was used should be applied to this old earth. ie at 25,000 miles it should be multiplied by the same 200 and that would be the circumference of the new earth.

Ezekiel's City: Calculating the Earth's Circumference

The Basic Idea

Assuming that all thirteen strips of land are the same width, or rather, assuming that Ezekiel's small-scale representation was intended to represent thirteen strips of land of the same width, we have a map that from top to bottom is:
13 x 25,000 cubits = 325,000 cubits.
Now we are ready for our calculations.
Perhaps the simplest way to put it is this: If we enlarge Ezekiel's map till Ezekiel's city is the size of Revelation's New Jerusalem, then Ezekiel's map encircles the globe.
The proportion of Ezekiel's city to Revelation's New Jerusalem is the same as that of Ezekiel's map to the earth's circumference:
Ezekiel's Map / Ezekiel's City * Revelation's City = Earth's Circumference
Calculations a Bit Off

Let's first use the furlong that most references tend to use, the English furlong of 660 feet. Since the New Jerusalem is 3,000 furlongs to a side,
660 ft. x 3,000 furlongs / (5,280 feet / mi.) = 375 mi. (603.49 km)
Now we plug in the 4,500-cubit length of Ezekiel's city and the theoretical 325,000-cubit length of Ezekiel's map:
325,000 cu. / 4,500 cu. * 375 mi. = 27,083 mi. (43,585 km)
This amounts to an error of just under +9%, which is close enough to be intriguing.
Calculations Right On

Since the apostle John didn't live in England, he never heard of the English furlong. Instead, he used the Roman furlong. The author has found three different measurements for the Roman furlong: 606.25 feet, 606.5 feet, and 606.84 feet.
Using a furlong of 606.25 feet:
606.25 ft. x 3,000 furlongs / (5,280 feet / mi.) = 344.46 mi. (554.34 km)
325,000 / 4,500 * 344.46 mi. = 24,878 mi. (40,036 km)
This result is .071% more than the polar circumference and .098% less than the equatorial circumference.
Using a furlong of 606.5 feet:
606.5 ft. x 3,000 furlongs / (5,280 feet / mi.) = 344.6 mi. (554.56 km)
325,000 / 4,500 * 344.6 mi. = 24,888 mi. (40,052 km)
This result is .112% more than the polar circumference and .057% less than the equatorial circumference.
Using a furlong of 606.84 feet:
606.84 ft. x 3,000 furlongs / (5,280 feet / mi.) = 344.80 mi. (554.89)
325,000 / 4,500 * 344.80 mi. = 24,902 mi. (40,075 km)
This result is .170% more than the polar circumference and .0001% more than the equatorial circumference.
These extremely small margins of error make the subject more than just intriguing.

The Size of the Temple

We can use the same ratios to calculate the size of the Holy Place and Most Holy Place. Ezekiel's Holy Place was 20 by 40 cubits, and his Most Holy Place was 20 by 20 cubits (Ezek. 41:2, 4).
Since exact precision isn't all that important, we'll just use the furlong of 606.5 ft. We must make two calculations, one for 20 cubits and the other for 40 cubits:
20 / 4,500 * 344.6 mi. = 1.53 mi.
40 / 4,500 * 344.6 mi. = 3.06 mi.
It is quite possible, therefore, that the heavenly temple which will be outside the New Jerusalem will have a Holy Place about 3 by 1.5 miles, and a Most Holy Place about 1.5 miles square. No wonder the structure can accommodate millions of worshippers.

Conclusions

The basic thought is that the new earth will be divided up into thirteen strips of land of equal area, and all the redeemed will get their inheritance in one of those thirteen strips. Another way to look at it would be for the globe to be divided up into thirteen wedges. All the wedges would meet at the equator.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Calculations a Bit Off

Let's first use the furlong that most references tend to use, the English furlong of 660 feet.

Good idea, because we all know the bible was written in England, and the stories recounted therein took place in England.

mentalfloss
Depends on what the punishment is for not acting in accordance with his rules.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Depends on what the punishment is for not acting in accordance with his rules.

Under the new, more liberal administration of heaven, being damned to hell has been replaced with being darned to heck.