Canada Elected to Human Rights Council

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Canada's election to the U.N. Human Rights Council?
Yes 3 75.00%
No 0 0%
Don't know / Prefer not to respond 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

FiveParadox
Liberal
Canada has been elected by an absolute majority of the one hundred ninety-one members of the United Nations to take up a seat on the United Nations Human Rights Council .

Click here to read the entire article in English.
Cet article n'est pas disponible en français.

My Opinion Re: Canada's Election to the Council

It would appear that, while this Council is going to make serious steps forward, relative to its predecessor (the United Nations Human Rights Commission ), much progress remains to be made — some nations elected to the Council have controversial human rights records, including the People's Republic of China , the Republic of Cuba , the Islamic Republic of Pakistan , the Russian Federation , and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia .

I support our election to the Council, but I hope that the Council, and the United Nations in general, recognizes that there is a lot of work that remains to be done in this area, and that stricter-yet guidelines in terms of members eligible for sitting on this Council could be adopted, in the interest of improving human rights across the world.

Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the CBC .

Finder
Paradox almost every nation has a bad record including Canada, and how we treated the native peoples of Canada, even to this very day. If you do not include nations which may have human rights abuses you leave them out of the sultion and what does this do.... NOTHING.

The United Nations was set up to include nations and not exclude them and isolate them.

There's a saying, don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

I think not
Quote:

"The good news is that two of the least-deserving governments were not elected. Both Venezuela and Iran failed to make the cut, " Roth said.

Hahahaha. Chavez, the people person wasn't elected. Hahahaha.

Good news Canada. Bravo.

Naci_Sey
I've no objection to Canada becoming a member of the Human Rights Council, but it certainly should clean up its act at home:

UN assails Canada — again
May 8, 2006. 04:54 PM
CANADIAN PRESS

GENEVA — A United Nations watchdog group has harshly criticized Canada for its failure to live up to its commitments under an international treaty that protects people's economic, social and cultural rights.

In a tough assessment, one of the committee's 18 independent experts noted that "some situations (in Canada) had actually got worse" since Canada's record was last scrutinized in 1998...

The committee grilled Canada for two days, last Friday and again Monday, about its record on poverty, homelessness, indigenous and migrant rights, health and education. It found the government wanting in all areas.

"Many of the issues our committee raised in 1993 and 1998 are unfortunately still live issues today," said Ariranga Govindasamy Pillay, an expert from Mauritius. "Years later, the situation appears to be unchanged, and in some respects worse."

"There is continuing homelessness and reliance on food banks, security of tenure is still not enjoyed by tenants, child tax benefits are still clawed back."

"The situation of Aboriginal peoples, migrants and people with disabilities doesn't seem to be improving," Pillay said.

In presenting Canada's report, Alan Kessel, a legal adviser to the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, said Canada is "proud of its record of achievement in the promotion of economic, social and cultural rights."

Canada is at the forefront of promoting human rights internationally and domestically, and "its efforts had paid dividends," Kessel said.

He noted the Canadian government provides income support for low-income families with children through the National Child Benefit Supplement. He said Canadians are among the best-housed people in the world and that most "have access to housing of acceptable size and quality at affordable prices."

Among the federal government's priorities, he said, are improved childcare, lower taxes, health care and crime reduction.

But the committee challenged the Canadian delegation on a wide range of issues...

Several committee members said they were disturbed by the lack of investment in social programs and by continuing high poverty rates of the most marginalized — including women, Aboriginal peoples, people of colour and immigrants...

The committee will formally issue its conclusions and recommendations on May 19 when its session concludes.

Jersay
I'm glad that Canada was elected to this council.

But I also agree with Finder's statement as well.