Bigfoot Debate

Kreskin
#1
Does Bigfoot exist? If you believe it does is it human, an animal or an alien?
 
eh1eh
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Does Bigfoot exist? If you believe it does is it human, an animal or an alien?

I bet we're going to need our tinfoil hats before this thread plays itself out.

Besides if Bigfoot is real there is no way he's an alien. They wouldn't be furry or living in the woods. The aliens live among us.
 
DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
#3
There is no Bigfoot in my opinion, grainy photographs do not prove anything. Unicorns are real though.
 
Jay
#4
I think there are Bigfeet out there.
 
Minority Observer84
#5
No , i doubt it , if bigfoot was real someone would have caught one by now don't you think ?
The Photo's and prints are not conclusive evidence . Now If bigfoot existed i would think they are an evolutionary cousin of humanity far closer to us than apes .
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Does Bigfoot exist? If you believe it does is it human, an animal or an alien?

Technically, if he lives here on Earth, he would not be alien.
 
DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
#7
The "real" Bigfoot!

 
#juan
No Party Affiliation
#8
Bigfoot, the Sasquatch, the abominable snowman, the Yeti all have left nothing but their footprints in the snow to prove their existence. We have had a good number of serious investigations that have turned up nothing. Surely, if an animal the size of a large primate was living in our mountain forests, we would have some tangible artifact, bones, or something, but we have nothing. I would like there to be a "Bigfoot" out there, but I'm afraid "Bigfoot" is a pipe dream just like the Loch Ness Monster and Ogopogo,
 
triedit
#9
If not Bigfoot, then what is it? (And thanks for posting this)

Hundreds of sane, respectible people all over the world have reported seeing a man shaped ape that walks upright. Not SOMETIMES upright, but PRIMARILY upright. Footprints showing a large foot that has an aligned big toe like man instead of an offset one. Something seems to be there.

As discussed in the evolution topic, many species of animals and insects have evolved hardly at all, but rather adapted to thier changing surroundings. Could it be that in the remotest parts of the world there is some "missing link" in the evolutionary trail that adapted instead of evolved?

The lack of skeltal remains and feces suggests they have a sense of self--that remains and scat are burried. Unless, of course, there are findings of apes in North America and that as yet has not been proven either.

So we're in a quandry. If this isn't bigfoot, what is it so many people have been seeing?
 
#juan
No Party Affiliation
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by triedit View Post

If not Bigfoot, then what is it? (And thanks for posting this)

Hundreds of sane, respectible people all over the world have reported seeing a man shaped ape that walks upright. Not SOMETIMES upright, but PRIMARILY upright. Footprints showing a large foot that has an aligned big toe like man instead of an offset one. Something seems to be there.

As discussed in the evolution topic, many species of animals and insects have evolved hardly at all, but rather adapted to thier changing surroundings. Could it be that in the remotest parts of the world there is some "missing link" in the evolutionary trail that adapted instead of evolved?

The lack of skeltal remains and feces suggests they have a sense of self--that remains and scat are burried. Unless, of course, there are findings of apes in North America and that as yet has not been proven either.

So we're in a quandry. If this isn't bigfoot, what is it so many people have been seeing?

The lack of evidence is the big problem. Where do they live?...Do they live in caves?.... What do they eat?..............Do they use fire?........Do they use tools?.....Nobody knows.

It is hard to discount the presumably honest witnesses who report seeing these things, but the lack of other evidence is tiresome.
 
DaSleeper
#11
Itís one of those things that so far hasnít been proven conclusively and wonít be until at least skeletal remains are found,ÖÖ.and a negative canít be proven.

From personal experience, I have seen Black bears walk fair distances on their hind legs and on one occasion if I hadnít had a pair of binoculars I would have thought it was a manÖÖ.and later the tracks in the black muck looked amazingly man like.

I wonít go as far as saying itís impossible but Iím a skeptic
 
triedit
#12
Skepticism is the best! A true skeptic is someone with an open mind, not a disbeliever. (Look it up)

I consider myself a skeptic too. Ive just taken a job as director of Cryptozoology with PSICAN and bigfoot (and loch ness et al) come under my department. Our goal is not to prove or defend thier existence, just to investigate the possibility. Interesting work!
 
Zan
Green
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by triedit View Post

Skepticism is the best! A true skeptic is someone with an open mind, not a disbeliever. (Look it up)

I consider myself a skeptic too. Ive just taken a job as director of Cryptozoology with PSICAN and bigfoot (and loch ness et al) come under my department. Our goal is not to prove or defend thier existence, just to investigate the possibility. Interesting work!


Holy shades of X-Files, triedit - your job must be fascinating!

Will you be able to share any investigative findings with us?
 
triedit
#14
Yeah I don't see why not. Im just getting started in July though when my next book is supposed to go to print. I really am better versed on Ghosts and Hauntings. Ive been working those for about 5 years now.
 
eh1eh
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by triedit View Post

Yeah I don't see why not. Im just getting started in July though when my next book is supposed to go to print. I really am better versed on Ghosts and Hauntings. Ive been working those for about 5 years now.

Will you be making a show like PSI Factor?
 
DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by triedit View Post

Yeah I don't see why not. Im just getting started in July though when my next book is supposed to go to print. I really am better versed on Ghosts and Hauntings. Ive been working those for about 5 years now.

Have you visited any haunted buildings in Ontario?
 
Unforgiven
#17
Do you believe in the tiger? Not many of them around you know. How about the elephant? They have a remarkable attention when it comes to bones and death, even to go off to some specified place to finish up. Though not all make it, many do and those still alive mull over these boneyards with some sense of understanding.

The last T Rex died when? We found them. Woolly Mammoth to now extinct, we found them. We found our own ancestors from thousands of years ago. We found things in the deepest depths of the oceans and both poles, in volcanoes and upon the highest mountains.

We've been to the moon a few times now.

Not one single bone.
Not a single part of some alien.
Not a single piece off an alien spaceship.

All that there has ever been in regard to these mysteries, boils down to accepting someones word for it.

what are the chances?

Well there are still dinosaurs found that has thus far been unknown to us.
We find new species all the time even now we haven't manages to record and document creatures that have been collect so far.
Is it possible for a whole group like Bigfoot to remain undetected for this long with as intense and prolonged search as we've had?

If there are smart why aren't they eating the easy meals out of the garbage like all kinds of other creatures. We even do it ourselves. So how does "smart" equal not getting the easy meat when it is available? Doesn't every other successful species do just that naturally?

The good old fish tale.

Nothing wrong with telling a good story and in fact most people will enjoy that so much that it's a favourite memory from their youth, or something they will fondly remember about a cherished elder that has passed away.

Does it really matter how big the fish was? "A little white lie" never hurt anyone, right? So Loch Ness has Nessie, Lake Okanagan has the Ogopogo and the Bigfoot stories are every bit as interesting. Honestly, if there is no monster in Lochness no one is harmed. If there is, well no one has been harmed that way either. Not that they can prove anyway.

And so as life would have it, it's usually the simplest thing thats true. Which is probably there is no such thing but it's sure fun talking about it and speculating as wildly as you want about all the aspects if it were.

Like all the other great things we tell to children when they are young, to help with teaching morals or get them to behave or even just to have some fun, it connects us together and there is never any harm in that.

Now some great beastie could jump out of the woodwork tomorrow and make me eat my words, I`ll be happy to give it a good looking over for authenticity, but I`m confident that will not happen.
 
triedit
#18
We don't do the shows. We sometimes get called in to consult. I did one for SciFi/Space last August called "SciFi Investigates: Mothman" and just got back from Kentucky where I did some PR stuff at Waverly Hills Sanitorium for a new show (has aired in the US and will start in Canada in July) called Celebrity Paranormal Project. It's fun, but it's a lot of serious work too.
 
triedit
#19
Unforgiven--

You may well be right, but in the past few decades many creatures have been discovered that were unknown to science. What about the Komodo dragon? (1912) and the Giant Squid? (2004) I think to say there is nothing left to verify is extremely naive. New footage of Nessie has come out just last week.

This earth still has, in my opinion, great wonders yet discovered.
 
triedit
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

Have you visited any haunted buildings in Ontario?

I have visited many places in the GTA which may be haunted, if hauntings can be said to exist. Ive visited far more whose phenomena can be explained quite easily. I would say a good place to start when looking for information would be www.torontoghosts.org There is also a BC branch and a Quebec branch. At one time we were in all provinces and three US states, but we cut away some folks a few years ago who weren't producing and amalgamated under a parent organization PSICAN (www.psican.org) which is not for profit. We're all volunteers. The course is free online to become an investigator. I don't know if they are taking anyone in Toronto but Im certain the rest of the country could use a few more souls.
 
DaSleeper
#21
Believe me, when one these big hairy things is caught, expect to see a report on snopes.com just like this one not long ago http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/hogzilla.asp
Until then........
 
Unforgiven
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by triedit View Post

Unforgiven--

You may well be right, but in the past few decades many creatures have been discovered that were unknown to science. What about the Komodo dragon? (1912) and the Giant Squid? (2004) I think to say there is nothing left to verify is extremely naive. New footage of Nessie has come out just last week.

This earth still has, in my opinion, great wonders yet discovered.

1912 I think is excusable as there were comparativly no resources as there are now. Giant squid live in the remotest part of the planet, bottom of the ocean and just now, we are able to visit those depths and so we find them in their habitate.

But the habitate of Bigfoot is the forests right here in North America. What was the size of the latest finds in these parts? A bug, a rodent perhaps? Not a single bone of some 8 foot tall bipedal creature. What are the odds on that I wonder?

Has anyone ever done the research to see how many members of a species it would take for it to succeed and not die off? Surely that number would not go unnoticed. It would make sense that they would be spotted and captured along a border, unless of course they aknowledge our borders and adhear to international regulations, remaining in the country they were born in.

There there claims to having been sightings in Mexico, it stands to reason that somewhere along that boarder, some border guard would have caught one crossing the border into the US don't you think?
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

There there claims to having been sightings in Mexico, it stands to reason that somewhere along that boarder, some border guard would have caught one crossing the border into the US don't you think?

Why do you think George Bush REALLY wants to build that big fence?
 
triedit
#24
Heck I can't even prove *I* exist let alone bigfoot. Im just not inclined to say it's impossible. No government money has ever been thrown at research into this. There are many VERY remote locations still in North America. Now, if folks were claiming to see this thing in Chicago or Toronto I might be less believing. In populated areas of course you would expect some better evidence. But there's a LOT of land too densly forrested for some folks to venture into. Places too remote for the average person to have seen this thing. I just can't say "No there's no chance".

Unlike some of my peers, I do NOT believe this thing to be alien. Im on the fence between ape and man.
 
Unforgiven
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by triedit View Post

Heck I can't even prove *I* exist let alone bigfoot. Im just not inclined to say it's impossible. No government money has ever been thrown at research into this. There are many VERY remote locations still in North America. Now, if folks were claiming to see this thing in Chicago or Toronto I might be less believing. In populated areas of course you would expect some better evidence. But there's a LOT of land too densly forrested for some folks to venture into. Places too remote for the average person to have seen this thing. I just can't say "No there's no chance".

Unlike some of my peers, I do NOT believe this thing to be alien. Im on the fence between ape and man.

I don't know anyone who says it's impossible, just very very unlikely based on the evidence provided so far. And have no fear, for if it's ever questioned, I can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you do in fact exist and stew a kickass bowl of Whiskey beans to boot!
 
triedit
#26
Why, thank you very much! You should come over. I brought back stuff to make mint juleps mmmmmmmmmmmmm
 
#juan
No Party Affiliation
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by triedit View Post

Unforgiven--

You may well be right, but in the past few decades many creatures have been discovered that were unknown to science. What about the Komodo dragon? (1912) and the Giant Squid? (2004) I think to say there is nothing left to verify is extremely naive. New footage of Nessie has come out just last week.

This earth still has, in my opinion, great wonders yet discovered.

I just watched the latest footage of Nessie. I would have posted it but it was really poor quality and could have been anything.

Btw, the Giant Squid has been known about for years. I believe one got caught in a fishing net off Australia, thirty or forty years ago. Before 2004, nobody had actually caught one intentionally.
 
Jay
#28
Bigfoot risks extinction, says Canadian MP

Bigfoot, the legendary hairy man-like beast said to roam the wildernesses of North America, is not shy, merely so rare it risks extinction and should be protected as an endangered species.

So says Canadian MP Mike Lake who has called for Bigfoot to be protected under Canada's species at risk act, alongside Whooping Cranes, Blue Whales, and Red Mulberry trees.

"The debate over their (Bigfoot's) existence is moot in the circumstance of their tenuous hold on merely existing," reads a petition presented by Lake to parliament in March and due to be discussed next week.

"Therefore, the petitioners request the House of Commons to establish immediate, comprehensive legislation to affect immediate protection of Bigfoot," says the petition signed by almost 500 of Lake's constituents in Edmonton, Alberta.

A similar appeal has been made to the US Congress.

Down through history, there have been numerous, if unsubstantiated sightings of Bigfoot, also known as Sasquatch in North American folklore.

The beast is said to inhabit remote forests, mainly in the US Pacific northwest and western Canada, and many believe it could be related to the equally mythical Yeti said to have found its home in Tibet and Nepal.

While sometimes described as large, hairy bipedal hominoids, Bigfoot are considered by most experts to be a combination of folklore and hoaxes.

But the legend remains strong, and Bigfoot researcher Todd Standing, who was behind the petition, claims to have proof of its existence, and says he fears for its safety.

"When I get species protection for them nationwide, I will make my findings public and I will take this out of the realm of mythology. Bigfoot is real," Standing told Global National television news.

He said he has 12 seconds of video footage of Bigfoot roaming Canada's western Rocky Mountains included in a 30-minute documentary, but his detractors say it was staged with actors.

His supporters hail from Canada's westernmost provinces, but Bigfoot sightings have been reported across the country, which is 90 percent uninhabited.

There are currently 516 plant and animal species at risk in Canada, according to Environment Canada. Another 13 species are already extinct.

Copyright © 2007 Agence France Presse.
 
Unforgiven
#29
12 seconds of video footage!!! Man you can't ask for more than that! Clearly.

Sarcasm go something like that?
 
RomSpaceKnight
#30
Grizzly bones are hard to find in the wild. If Saquatch are far less numerous it could explian why no remains have been found. If the creature is sentient it may actually bury it's dead. Could a large primate be living in the Rockies? It's possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigantopithecus
 

Similar Threads

9
Bigfoot update -trackin smellys
by Kreskin | Apr 25th, 2016
56
50
The NDP will get their Debate
by Retired_Can_Soldier | Apr 9th, 2006
8
Is there a Bigfoot in Staffordshire?
by Blackleaf | Apr 4th, 2006