Denial of Environmental Disasters

Bar Sinister
When studying the history of environmental disasters over the last half century or so a pattern of denial and obfuscation emerges. This can be clearly seen in the following examples.

In the late 1940s scientific studies indicated that DDT indiscriminately killed wildlife and poisoned the environment. The reaction of the companies manufacturing pesticides was to deny the study.
When studies of smog in the Los Angeles Basin indicated that automobile exhausts were the main cause of smog it was denied by by the auto industry and the oil companies.
When killer smogs in London were blamed on the burning of coal for domestic and industrial use it was denied by the coal industry.
When the poisoning of lakes in Canada and elsewhere was blamed on acid rain caused by the burning of coal it was denied by the coal industry.
When chlorofluorocarbons were linked to the destruction of the ozone layer it was denied by the chemical and refrigeration industry.
When heavy logging destroyed watersheds and caused caused massive flooding it was denied by the forestry industry.

It is interesting that in all of these cases the scientific studies were proven correct. It is also interesting that in all cases the immediate reaction of the industries responsible for the environmental damage was to first deny the studies and hire their own experts to refute the claims rather that doing anything about the problem. In each case it took government action to force the industries in question to clean up their act.

We now have scientific studies revealing that the continued addition of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere may result in an increase in atmospheric temperatures. The reaction of many industries so far in Canada and the US is to deny that it is happening or will ever happen, rather than do anything about it. Interestingly, the Europeans and Japanese among others seem to have gotten the message. As a result these nations are well ahead of Canada and the US while the latter two nations continue to drag their feet.

Slim Chance
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

We now have scientific studies revealing that the continued addition of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere may result in an increase in atmospheric temperatures.

It would appear that with every passing week, the deniers in this example are those that mistakenly assumed that the anthropogenic warming data was factual at the outset of this debate. It will be interesting to see how history will reflect this.

Cliffy
I'm surprised our head denier, Walter, isn't all over this like a dirty shirt!

Some people are going to have to be choking in their own vomit before they will admit that perhaps something is amiss.

darkbeaver
Global Warming Inc; is a subsidiary of Global Worldly Order Inc in association with Flue International inc.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Global Warming Inc; is a subsidiary of Global Worldly Order Inc in association with Flue International inc.

Yes, well Sir Beaver, we know that the corporate version is rather corrupt. Cap & Trade and all solutions to the deteriorating global environment are not solutions at all, but phony money making scams. If we are to survive our own stupidity, we will have find grass roots solutions on our own. We rely on corporations and governments at our own peril.

Tonington
There is no may about it. If you make the atmosphere more opaque to long-wave IR, the lower atmosphere is going to warm up. That is beyond debate. You can observe this simply with two pop bottles, two thermometers, and a rubber bung for each bottle.

It's a standard model in many industries now. If the science shows your product is harmful, deny it. Pay someone in the twilight of their career to highlight uncertainty (uncertainty always exists in science) and doubt, or other peripheral issues, anything to obfuscate reality.

jjaycee98
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

There is no may about it. If you make the atmosphere more opaque to long-wave IR, the lower atmosphere is going to warm up. That is beyond debate. You can observe this simply with two pop bottles, two thermometers, and a rubber bung for each bottle.

It's a standard model in many industries now. If the science shows your product is harmful, deny it. Pay someone in the twilight of their career to highlight uncertainty (uncertainty always exists in science) and doubt, or other peripheral issues, anything to obfuscate reality.

Like this Video? Looks good to me. I do however agree that we are destroying rivers and watersheds and spoiling our beautiful natural landscape with garbage.

John Coleman | KUSI - News, Weather and Sports - San Diego, CA | Latest Headlines

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Yes, well Sir Beaver, we know that the corporate version is rather corrupt. Cap & Trade and all solutions to the deteriorating global environment are not solutions at all, but phony money making scams. If we are to survive our own stupidity, we will have find grass roots solutions on our own. We rely on corporations and governments at our own peril.

Good Morning Cliffy;
We are not supposed to survive our own stupidity are we? Stupid birds don't, stupid mice don't, maybe saving stupid people isn't the best survival plan, going forward and slightly sideways.

Walter
Here are things that proved to be false.

Avro
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

None of it based on real science.

Got any more things to laugh at?

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Good Morning Cliffy;
We are not supposed to survive our own stupidity are we? Stupid birds don't, stupid mice don't, maybe saving stupid people isn't the best survival plan, going forward and slightly sideways.

Well, as you might have guessed from past posts, I am not a big fan of stupid people, especially their survival. But I would like people who have "grabbed a clue" to have a chance. I think that as a species, we do have potential to be far greater than we have been and would like to see us have the opportunity to evolve. I just don't see 90 - 95% of the population qualifying for that opportunity (to be fair, much of it is not their fault, as they are a product of the dumbing down by the controllers).

EagleSmack

We now have scientific studies revealing that the continued addition of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere may result in an increase in atmospheric temperatures. The reaction of many industries so far in Canada and the US is to deny that it is happening or will ever happen, rather than do anything about it. Interestingly, the Europeans and Japanese among others seem to have gotten the message. As a result these nations are well ahead of Canada and the US while the latter two nations continue to drag their feet.

Any word on China, India, Brazil, and the other Basic Nations? Or are you just going after the easy targets?

AnnaG

I guess that means environmental disasters don't happen right? lmao
"Whatta maroon". - B Bunny

Walter
Here's another good one.

GreenFish66
Anything for a dirty dollar ...

Green/clean tech is the only sustainable future..

AnnaG

Here's another good one.

How would you explain aspartame was ever considered an ENVIRONMENTAL disaster?

darkbeaver

Well, as you might have guessed from past posts, I am not a big fan of stupid people, especially their survival. But I would like people who have "grabbed a clue" to have a chance. I think that as a species, we do have potential to be far greater than we have been and would like to see us have the opportunity to evolve. I just don't see 90 - 95% of the population qualifying for that opportunity (to be fair, much of it is not their fault, as they are a product of the dumbing down by the controllers).

You like me don't you? I'm stupid. Even the stupid are frequently good. One of the stupidist things I commonly do is to assume that me having one clue or even two will necessarily elevate me above and beyond the fate of the common denominating human. There are lots of other factors to wreck nice personal illusions. You could be struck by a meteorite or loose a bet on leftover egg salad. Us people with clues don't always die labouring in the saddle of white chargers in the pursuit of justice and goodies for all. No, too many of us are struck down in our primes in suspicious freak accidents, like being strangled by your tie in a wringer washer. Christ , who owns a wringer washer in 2008. An opportunity to evolve, that's exactly what it's allllll aboot I bet you Cliffy, we get it right this time or we come back and try again, and again, there is no escape except elevation.

darkbeaver
or denial of manufactured disaster? We are in a state of denial either way.

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Any word on China, India, Brazil, and the other Basic Nations? Or are you just going after the easy targets?

I'm sorry. I don't understand your response.

EagleSmack

I'm sorry. I don't understand your response.

Well you are saying that the US and Canada are lagging and that Europe and Japan are plunging ahead. I am asking why aren't you tackling the Basic Nations issues. In essence that the Basic Nations get underdeveloped nation status, meaning they get to do whatever they want and they are light years from underdeveloped.

What makes Canada behind all of Europe? You folks have been knee deep in climate change negotiations, etc. from the word go.

I am merely pointing out that without the basic nations being a part of the big picture you will never get everyone on board. They are basic nations because they are basically (no pun intended) telling the concerned nations to screw and they do not give two BLEEPS what other nations agree to. They will govern and grow as they see fit regardless of the environmental implications.

Bar Sinister

Well you are saying that the US and Canada are lagging and that Europe and Japan are plunging ahead. I am asking why aren't you tackling the Basic Nations issues. In essence that the Basic Nations get underdeveloped nation status, meaning they get to do whatever they want and they are light years from underdeveloped.

What makes Canada behind all of Europe? You folks have been knee deep in climate change negotiations, etc. from the word go.

I am merely pointing out that without the basic nations being a part of the big picture you will never get everyone on board. They are basic nations because they are basically (no pun intended) telling the concerned nations to screw and they do not give two BLEEPS what other nations agree to. They will govern and grow as they see fit regardless of the environmental implications.

Thanks for your clarification. I used Japan and Europe for one reason only and that is because these are developed nations and it seems to me what one nation can do all nations should be able to do. I did not mean to imply that only advanced nations should modernize their infrastructure.

Walter
CFC's and DDT were just part of the left's plan to subdue or kill (see malaria deaths) the masses.

ironsides

We now have scientific studies revealing that the continued addition of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere may result in an increase in atmospheric temperatures.

Have to be a little more positive, "We now have scientific studies revealing that the continued addition of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere may result in an increase in atmospheric temperatures."

Cliffy

CFC's and DDT were just part of the left's plan to subdue or kill (see malaria deaths) the masses.

Tell you what, you drink an 8 oz glass of DDT and let us know the next day how you feel.

Walter

Tell you what, you drink an 8 oz glass of DDT and let us know the next day how you feel.

Is that what the directions say on your container? Perhaps you would rather be stung by a mosquito which carries the malaria virus; you'd first have to leave Canada to do that because the malaria virus carrying mosquitoes were eradicated here by pesticides, including DDT.
Last edited by Walter; Feb 4th, 2010 at 10:35 AM..

Avro

Yes and since the elimination of CFC's no more ozone problem.....but wait.

Of course you can prove it was DDT that eliminated malaria in Canada and not getting rid of their breeding grounds instead.....but wait.

TenPenny

petros
Quote:

That's what the Copenhagen Accord Green Fund and the taxes that go along with it is all about.

As alleged carbon abusers we'll have to pay another tax to fund this new bank and government who will go paint green smiley faces all over the globe to make everyone feel happy and tie them financially to theis fund and it's global governing body.

It will be a "do it or else" scenario as in the past just wearing a happy green face.

Either join the global green order or face sanctions and isolation.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

That's what the Copenhagen Accord Green Fund and the taxes that go along with it is all about.

As alleged carbon abusers we'll have to pay another tax to fund this new bank and government who will go paint green smiley faces all over the globe to make everyone feel happy and tie them financially to theis fund and it's global governing body.

It will be a "do it or else" scenario as in the past just wearing a happy green face.

Either join the global green order or face sanctions and isolation.

Well that is simply why the Basic Nations will not sign on to anything. Nations like China and India will not face sanctions or be isolated for failing to get onboard. They were all for collecting green money with no restrictions or monitoring though.

petros

Well that is simply why the Basic Nations will not sign on to anything. Nations like China and India will not face sanctions or be isolated for failing to get onboard. They were all for collecting green money with no restrictions or monitoring though.

You mean there are nations that will no longer bow to the oppression or the are you talking the ones that don't give a **** about us in the first place?

They already thought of that. A nation state in a global government doesn't have a hope in hell.

Sign on or no food or water for you! Either you take the aid and the disease resistant seeds or see ya in hell!

Pretty simple.