Become Canadain citizen (How To Become A Citizen Of Canada)

lo2
This question is just common curiosity.

I would like to hear how to become Canadain citizen, and if there are any thing that might speed up the process if you understand, like if you are educated or something. Does Canada regonize dual citienship?

dekhqonbacha
I don't know about your taste, but I would live in Europe instead of Canada.

Canada does recognize dual citizenship, if Denmark does.

Knowing languages (enlish and french), having at least bachalor degree, having a family, being between 20 - 45 gives more chances.

However, there are much more things that also counts, but those said above are in general.

Recently someone I know has applied for residency, and I saw the application. Those fields that I counted above is coming to my mind.

Good luck

FiveParadox
There are various avenues whereby one can become a citizen of Canada ; the easiest method of obtaining one's citizenship would likely be through naturalization. Through this method, one can become a citizen so long as one is at least eighteen years of age, one is a permanent resident, one has resided in Canada for at least three years within the four years preceding the citizenship request, one can pass a knowledge test in relation to Canada, and one is aware of the rights and responsibilities of having citizenship.

As a Commonwealth Citizen, one has the right to vote in and run for office for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland upon the reception of one's citizenship in Canada. In addition to the above requirements (or whatever other requirements may apply to the method being used to pursue citizenship), one must make an Oath of Citizenship to become a citizen, to affirm that one intends to be loyal to Crown of Canada (the embodiment of executive power), and the laws of the nation. The Oath reads:

"I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen."

If you have further questions, I would be happy to search for particulars.

Finder
Always marry a Canadian *shrugs*.. but I think you may have to renounce you old citizenship. My birth father is still not a Canadian because of this... well they took it away from him because he wanted to keep his UK citizenship. *shrugs*

lo2
Well I am not quite thinking of becoming Canadian citizen I was just curios. But what you said about commonwealth does that mean that if you are Canadian citizen then you can visit the UK whenever you want to?

thecdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Finder

Always marry a Canadian *shrugs*.. but I think you may have to renounce you old citizenship. My birth father is still not a Canadian because of this... well they took it away from him because he wanted to keep his UK citizenship. *shrugs*

Canada allows dual citizenship and will not make you renounce prior citizenship. It would be the rules of the country of previous citizenship that would make one renounce it if you became a citizen of Canada as well. My family and I can become become citizens of the US in a few years if we so chose and still be Canadian citizens.

But I can't see a someone with UK citizenship (English?) having to renounce their previous citizenship upon becoming a Canadian citizen.

dekhqonbacha
thecdn
I agree.

sanch
Quote: Originally Posted by FiveParadox

In addition to the above requirements (or whatever other requirements may apply to the method being used to pursue citizenship), one must make an Oath of Citizenship to become a citizen, to affirm that one intends to be loyal to Crown of Canada (the embodiment of executive power), and the laws of the nation. The Oath reads:

"I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen."

This is the de jure rule. The de facto reality is quite different. My children just received citizenship this year after a two year wait. I called and asked about the delay. I was informed that elections always cause delays as do scandals and that our file would take another year to process and we would have to pick it up at the consul in New York so that they could take the oath. This is also a security precaution so that passports and citizenship certificates do not fall into the wrong hands. This is how it was explained to me.

Their citizenship certificates arrived the next day by regular mail. No oath was required.

Finder
Well my birth father was a Canadian Citizen but in the 70's when Pierre Trudeau was making changes to the British Canadian Citizenship laws, my father was told he would have to chose one or the other. At the time he had both citizenships because we basically shared them, a UK citizen was automatically a citizen of Canada or something to that effect. So yeah my father lost his Canadian citizenship. I told him about a year ago he could properly get his duel citizenship as I am getting my Irish Citizenship myself this year. I think they changed the laws around again in the 90's to make it easyier to hold another citizenship.

Andem
Quote: Originally Posted by lo2

Well I am not quite thinking of becoming Canadian citizen I was just curios. But what you said about commonwealth does that mean that if you are Canadian citizen then you can visit the UK whenever you want to?

No, Canadians don't have the right to visit the UK whenever they want.. there are normal restrictions on residency regarding foreigners in the UK and I believe Canadians can stay upto 3 months without having to go back or apply for residency. It's easier, though, for Commonwealth citizens such as Canadians to live in the UK.

Finder
I think generally there is a lot of confusen when it comes to Canada and the UK. The laws have changed a lot. At one time Canada and the UK shared citizenship. That changed to having seperate citizenship but makign it possible to have both. then it changed for awhile that you had to chose one or the other and I think in the 90's they relaxed this and you can now have both but Canadian citizen ship or UK citizenship doesn't bring you any real benifits besides being a member of the common wealth.

Riyko
Here's a site that talks about immigrating to Canada you might want to look it over and read the procedures to immigrate to canada and evenutally get citizenship. I'm also guessing it's the governments site.

Immigration Information Site

Just the Facts
Just come here and start working illegally. If you hurry you might make it in time for the mass naturalization of illegal immigrants.

lo2
Quote: Originally Posted by Just the Facts

Just come here and start working illegally. If you hurry you might make it in time for the mass naturalization of illegal immigrants.

Will that also happen in Canada. I thought it was only the US, but there is of course more immigrants in the US, and it is therefore more published. And by the way what do you think about it?

Nuggler
One of my sons has dual citizenship with UK.

No problem.

Gets to keep them both.

Going there to live is a different thing and restrictions do apply. As they do when a citizen of the UK wants to come here.

Guess one has to take a number and get in line.