How do canadians see the inmigration issue these days?

snoop
Everyone knows that Canada has always been a "cosmopolitan" country because of their politics of inmigration for skilled workers.

However, it would be interesting to know how do second generation canadians (for instance) feel about this.

Do they see inmigrants as people that can help the economy to grow? or do they see them as people that may be stilling some other canadian job.

zoofer
..or do they look at California and France and say there by the grace of God goes Canada. Hitherto anyway.

Is Quebec's drive for French speaking immigrants from traditionally Western hating countries in Africa a possible danger to the country?
These guys seem to think so.
Click here and scroll down.

nelk
Hello Zoofer,
interesting link.This is new to me.Or did I miss it before?

If I read correctly Marc Lepine's real name was Gabril Gharbi and he was a jihhadist with an religious motivated hate and plan to kill.

In his circumstance he choose the group of peoples he hated most, not just because he didnt measure up to there level but as it sounds
he couldnt "live and let live" with "infidel women".
That puts a whole new spinn on this incidence.

A major out of cost blunder of so called guncontrol triggered by
a weird invader into our western livingspace.

The liberal leaders( not just the Liberal Party) in the western hemisphere activily and deliberately erroding our heritage and culture and replacing it with surrogate multikult and much other crap, but suppressing important information like this one.

What is the matter with this forum; why is this topic buried.
So much other talk on banalities etc.

Sorry but I seen much "crucifiction" applied because of "marc lepine" .

cortezzz
most canadians are still welcoming of immigrants
i am a second generation canadian-- and still feel somewhat connected to the land of my parents-- most people like myself are very comfortable with the notion of --actually increasing immigration
generally immigration is economically and SOCIALLY stimulating
its definitely good for the country---overall

Alberta'sfinest
Considering the majority of our migration is population replacement, I don't see the problem. My Mom was born here in Canada as a German citizen, as my grandma immigrated at a young age. I'm technically second generation. My Dad's side is European nobility, so we've been here a very long time, and played key roles in founding this country aswell as the US.

The only thing detrimental to our countries is the competition driven economy that is creating a society of of greedy and selfish people that's causing the unity of society to errode, and allowing for corruption to prevail.

Kreskin
Somebody has to buy this rediculously priced real estate.

zoofer
Quote:

Illegal Immigrants Follow the Money
by Mike Franc
Posted Apr 07, 2006
The story in Europe is similar. The United Kingdom (per capita GDP $26,391) attracts immigrants from impoverished Pakistan ($546); France ($22,723) draws them from its former colony of Algeria ($1,916); Spain ($14,709) from Morocco ($1,27, and Germany ($23,002) from Turkey ($3,082).

Despite having rejected the sort of pro-growth policies long associated with economic prosperity, these and other impoverished nations continue to receive billions in loans and grants -- with few questions asked -- from international financial institutions such as the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF), as well as from U.S. agencies such as the Agency for International Development. Foreign aid, it seems, resembles our welfare system prior to the 1996 reforms: Needy nations receive generous subsidies from the developed world but are asked to do nothing in return.
According to William Easterly, a former World Bank official, the developed world has dispensed $2.3 trillion to developing nations over the last half century. Yet, as he points out in his excellent new book, "The White Man's Burden," despite trillions in aid, economic opportunity in the majority of countries where foreign-aid bureaucracies have intervened has actually deteriorated.
Mr. Franc, who has held a number of positions on Capitol Hill, is vice president of Government Relations at The Heritage Foundation. To send a question or comment to Mike Franc, email him at: MichaelFranc@heritage.org

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=13842

Tough love works. No reform no aid. Starting with Zimbabwe. It seems to be working in Gaza. After the EU finally said it would also cut off aid to Hamas they are now talking about recognizing Israel's right to exist.

Alberta'sfinest
I find it amusing that we create a wellfare system to alleviate the problems that we created. After all, it's the exploitation of other citizens that makes one rich and another poor in our own countries. And it's the syphoning of wealth through free trade that allows nations overall to do the same to other nations. We have big houses, cars, personal computers, and live easy lives because others don't. Foreign aid is like stealing a bag of rice and giving back a bowl. We only give back a bowl to lower resistance when stealing the next bag.

Finder
I don't think many Canadians who are 3rd generation and higher "welcome" immigration. I admit I am an White Anglo-Saxon Celt of mixed Irish and British background, and a good chucnk of my friends where that as well in school in Toronto. I found while growing up that most of them and there parents were cold to hostile towards just "letting anyone in" which they thought was happening. However my friends and there families who are 2nd generation or lower had a different opinion on this issue and thought Canada was all about immigration.

I defeand the rights for immigration, but I also think immigration has become a political tool in Canada because the governments know that the immigrants who come in under there watch usually stay loyal to the party in power from the time they came into the country.

I would like to point out that I am not a racist when I say this but many people in Toronto don't know how to speak english or French. I don't know why they were allowed to become citizens when they can not communicate in either tongue. Often these people only migale with there own communities in Canada and don't bother picking up either tongue. I do think this is wrong. It might not be politically correct but I think there are very few nations out there where they would allow this to happen. I'm not saying we have to deport them but we should have real stands for those who wish to becoem Canadian or work in Canada.

Also I think for those who do come to Canada and do not know how to speak French or English should be given a chance to learn either one and sign a contract giving them more then enough time to learn the tongue. If they do not bother trying... well...

quinton
If it weren't for immigration, we might still be able to work 40 hour weeks, but thanks to hard-working immigrants, we either work 60+ hour weeks, or we cope with unemployment.

Well if you think the 401 needs more lanes I'm sure you love the idea of more immigrants.

So much for preserving the environment.

Finder
Quote: Originally Posted by quinton

If it weren't for immigration, we might still be able to work 40 hour weeks, but thanks to hard-working immigrants, we either work 60+ hour weeks, or we cope with unemployment.

Well if you think the 401 needs more lanes I'm sure you love the idea of more immigrants.

So much for preserving the environment.

Well immigrants often work jobs others won't work. I'm not anti-immigrant but I think our standerds for immigration should be strong and those who immigrat should learn either french or english in a certain amount of time.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by snoop

Everyone knows that Canada has always been a "cosmopolitan" country because of their politics of inmigration for skilled workers.

However, it would be interesting to know how do second generation canadians (for instance) feel about this.

Do they see inmigrants as people that can help the economy to grow? or do they see them as people that may be stilling some other canadian job.

It depends on what you mean by immigrants. If you mean from out of country, then had the indians forseen what the Europeans were about to do to them, they would have fought to the end to keep the damned immigrants out!

Now if you mean from off-planet, we don't have any yet.

Finder
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo

Quote: Originally Posted by snoop

It depends on what you mean by immigrants. If you mean from out of country, then had the indians forseen what the Europeans were about to do to them, they would have fought to the end to keep the damned immigrants out!

Now if you mean from off-planet, we don't have any yet.

Second Gen is usually warm to the immigration policy being open. It's when you get to the third gen and higher it gets a lot colder. I'm not sure what I'd be considered. Depending on my parents and grandparents I'm a mix of 2nd to 5th. (British and Irish)

Machjo
"I would like to point out that I am not a racist when I say this but many people in Toronto don't know how to speak english or French. I don't know why they were allowed to become citizens when they can not communicate in either tongue. Often these people only migale with there own communities in Canada and don't bother picking up either tongue. I do think this is wrong. It might not be politically correct but I think there are very few nations out there where they would allow this to happen. I'm not saying we have to deport them but we should have real stands for those who wish to becoem Canadian or work in Canada."

Certainly a nation without a common language will fall apart eventually.

zoofer
Quote:

To give millions a knowledge of English is to enslave them.

Whats that supposed to mean?

We have aliens serving in the Senate, nothing new there.

It is debatable if the Indians would be better off today without the Europeans. After all the Tribes often were at war with each other. No planes, and trains, no income tax. whoops! cancel that one.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by zoofer

Quote:

It is debatable if the Indians would be better off today without the Europeans. After all the Tribes often were at war with each other. No planes, and trains, no income tax. whoops! cancel that one.

Here's the context of the quote:

To give millions a knowledge of English is to enslave themů Is it not a painful thing that, if I want to go to a court of justice, I must employ the English language as a medium; that, when I became a barrister, I may not speak my mother-tongue, and that someone else should have to translate to me from my own language? Is it not absolutely absurd? Is it not a sign of slavery?
-Mahatma Gandhi

Machjo

Quote:

Actually, the Indians were willing to modernise and trade with the Europeans, but reacted out of concern for their culture when the Europeans gradually became increasingly aggressive. Had the Europeans traded in good faith, the Indians certainly would have moved towards educating and developping themselves culturall, scientifically and technologically within the context of their own languages and cultures.

cortezzz

Quote:

Illegal Immigrants Follow the Money
by Mike Franc
Posted Apr 07, 2006
The story in Europe is similar. The United Kingdom (per capita GDP $26,391) attracts immigrants from impoverished Pakistan ($546); France ($22,723) draws them from its former colony of Algeria ($1,916); Spain ($14,709) from Morocco ($1,27, and Germany ($23,002) from Turkey ($3,082).

Despite having rejected the sort of pro-growth policies long associated with economic prosperity, these and other impoverished nations continue to receive billions in loans and grants -- with few questions asked -- from international financial institutions such as the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF), as well as from U.S. agencies such as the Agency for International Development. Foreign aid, it seems, resembles our welfare system prior to the 1996 reforms: Needy nations receive generous subsidies from the developed world but are asked to do nothing in return.
According to William Easterly, a former World Bank official, the developed world has dispensed $2.3 trillion to developing nations over the last half century. Yet, as he points out in his excellent new book, "The White Man's Burden," despite trillions in aid, economic opportunity in the majority of countries where foreign-aid bureaucracies have intervened has actually deteriorated.
Mr. Franc, who has held a number of positions on Capitol Hill, is vice president of Government Relations at The Heritage Foundation. To send a question or comment to Mike Franc, email him at: MichaelFranc@heritage.org

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=13842

Tough love works. No reform no aid. Starting with Zimbabwe. It seems to be working in Gaza. After the EU finally said it would also cut off aid to Hamas they are now talking about recognizing Israel's right to exist.

hummm
a very enlightening post zoofer
enlightening about you
the question at the beginning of the thread
asked about IMMIGRANTS
but i geuss you read ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS

the solution to canadas problems ---

the more immigrants the better
all the better if they come fro
china
mexico
and north africa
the plan is to change this backwater into a real country

cortezzz
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo

Quote:

Here's the context of the quote:

To give millions a knowledge of English is to enslave themů Is it not a painful thing that, if I want to go to a court of justice, I must employ the English language as a medium; that, when I became a barrister, I may not speak my mother-tongue, and that someone else should have to translate to me from my own language? Is it not absolutely absurd? Is it not a sign of slavery?
-Mahatma Gandhi

yes a form of slavery
BUT
one can turn it all around
and use the exploiters tools against them
like ghandi did
know the language of the exploiter
so you may know them
their methods
their hypocrisy
even better

when i see that quebecers have taken the steps to protect their language while actually learning english as well-- we know they are doing the smart thing --keep it up Quebec
and in the southern US-- the rising hispanic population is sure to take some edge off englishness there--
and will continue to do so for the forseable future---

and why--- oh why are we not accepting 1 million chineese people here into canada-everyyear-- these hard working ethical people make excellent citizens everywhere they go----

i mean someone has to pay for all the welfare cases in canada---
--atlantic that is

the right will lose
simply because its fighting the world
so let the world come here and take them on!

annabattler
Realistically,Canada does need immigrants...unless Canadian women are prepared to become baby machines, and produce the numbers needed for the future.
And I think we need immigrants of all stripes....and we need to treat the professionally trained much better.
However,I get angry at the "economic" class of immigrant...those with the wealth to buy their way into the country, but who never really become committed to Canada,but maintain homes in their country of origin,businesses in their country of origin...buy homes here, and then park their children here. What sense will the second generation of economic immigrants have of Canada?

Finder
Quote: Originally Posted by annabattler

Realistically,Canada does need immigrants...unless Canadian women are prepared to become baby machines, and produce the numbers needed for the future.
And I think we need immigrants of all stripes....and we need to treat the professionally trained much better.
However,I get angry at the "economic" class of immigrant...those with the wealth to buy their way into the country, but who never really become committed to Canada,but maintain homes in their country of origin,businesses in their country of origin...buy homes here, and then park their children here. What sense will the second generation of economic immigrants have of Canada?

Good question. Not sure how to answer that one.

cortezzz
Quote: Originally Posted by annabattler

many people have families have lived here for 6 generations that still pledge allegiance to a foriegn country-- ie britain

those second generationals you describe would probably identify with canada AND their parents country of origin
it is possible to do so
but i agree its preferable to take people who really want to make canada their home

and the economic immigrants are doing what they do because the authorities want them to--- canada must be benefitting from this----