Canada's Prosperity Not a Priority?

FiveParadox
Liberal
The Honourable John McCallum , P.C. , M.P. , the Member for Markham—Unionville and Finance Critic for Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition , is wondering why the Government of Canada is moving in a direction contrary to those necessary for Canada to prosper in the future. The Government is prepared to move us in the wrong direction in terms of taxation, research and innovation are things of the past, and cuts are being made to critical departments.

In terms of their proposed cut to the Government Sales Tax (the G.S.T.), even the Honourable James Flaherty , P.C. , M.P. , the Member for Whitby—Oshawa and Minister of Finance , once stated that a cut to that tax would be a "knee-jerk" decision, offering "no long-term positive gain for the economy"; many economists have categorized the proposed tax cut as being anti-productivity and anti-growth.

In terms of higher learning, training, research and innovation, the Conservative Party of Canada has committed to cut the $9.4 billion in commitments made by the previous Government of Canada , and is prepared only to commit $1.4 billion toward research and development.

Quote: Originally Posted by The [color=red

Hon. John McCallum[/color], P.C., M.P.,]Why is Canada’s prosperity not a top-five priority? Why did the Conservative platform move in the wrong direction on tax policy? Why were they missing in action on innovation and learning? And why do they appear to offer only cuts to departments that are critical to Canada’s future prosperity?

Click here to read the entire speech in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire la parole entière en français.

Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Liberal Party of Canada .

Jay
Why did voters elect the conservatives? That would be the question he should be asking.....clearly they still don't understand.

FiveParadox
Liberal
Why did voters elect somewhere around fifty more left-leaning members than they did right-leaning members? Why are the Conservatives outnumbered in the House of Commons ? I wonder if the Tories have asked themselves those sorts of questions?

Jersay
That is what conservative voters can't swallow Five. They believe they have won and they believe that Canada has shifted to the right where it will scrap minority rights, scrap health care, scrap aboriginal agreements, scrap environmental agreements.

But they still lose in the end because even if they do "win" in quotes, the left-wing members that actually care about people will always have more seats than the Conservatives. At least in Canada and most progressive nations.

nelk
One previous Poster wrote:

" the left-wing members that actually care about people"

Not in this world! LOL

Was it in this forum or elsewhere:

"Be happy for not getting all the government you paid for!"

If nobody claimed this one prior, I shall!

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by Jersay

That is what conservative voters can't swallow Five. They believe they have won and they believe that Canada has shifted to the right where it will scrap minority rights, scrap health care, scrap aboriginal agreements, scrap environmental agreements.

But they still lose in the end because even if they do "win" in quotes, the left-wing members that actually care about people will always have more seats than the Conservatives. At least in Canada and most progressive nations.

The Liberals lost seats steadily from the Chretien era right on through till now they are in opposition.

Left wing people care about people? I didn't know making it against the law to buy basic healthcare was compassionate....I thought it was evil and stupid.

Jersay
I would rather pay for minimal health care instead of being uninsured like where 30% of American are. About three times the population of Canada.

Jay
I'm aware of how the left feels about what they would rather do.