What Does Quebec Export? (What Does Quebec Export)


Vitamin C
#1
I'm sorry that this is a response to several threads that are pretty old, but I just found this site and just finished reading some of the old stuff. And I must speak.

First of all a note:

When you insinuate that a people are unable to fend for themselves, unable to produce food, unable to make money, unable to do anything, how do you think it makes them feel?

When a parent treats their children like children, they feel like children. When adults treat adults like children who can't fend for themselves it doesn't feel good.

That is another reason why Quebec wants to separate.

This list is not complete, I'm sure......just a few things that come to mind.......

Oh, one more note (actually a question):

Do you think that there is a magical line drawn around the area we call Quebec, and that inside that line everything is a barren wasteland? Do you think where Ontario meets Quebec that forests turn into desert, farms turn into swamps, and rivers turn into cess pools???

The List:

Blueberries
Aluminum
Raspberries
Strawberries
Other berries
Apples
Corn (this summer it grew while ON corn wilted)
Asparagus
Peaches
Plums
Pears
Grains
Cows
Chickens
Pigs
VIDEO GAMES (Quebec is in the process of usurping Vancouver's dominance in this Canadian market)
FILM (Quebec is also usurping Van as Can's Hollywood)
sheep
Money - Financial institutions, mutual funds and stuff
Milk
Cheese
Goat Cheese
Goats
TOURISM - Obviously huge.....easily dominates all of Canada combined in this industry
Lumber
Paper (see above)
Maple Syrup
Flags (our maple leaf symbol originated in Quebec)
National Anthems (Our national anthem originated in french in Quebec....the english version is the translation...I think but not 100% sure)
Names of Nationalties....Les Canadiens was the name the British called their enemies when they attacked Nouveau France.....

I have a class to go to, but I may add to this list in the future.....

You may be interested to know that Quebec has a very similar ecology to ON, and grows/produces/exports pretty much the same things we do......and in a lot of cases do it better
 
TenPenny
#2
You left out...electricity, generated by Newfoundland <G>.

Iron Ore?
Bad writers? (Richler et al)
Corrupt Politicians (too many to name)
Aircraft
 
Reverend Blair
#3
Much of the electricity that Quebec generates comes from Hydro power based in Quebec. While the deal that Newfoundland got stuck with on that is a travesty that should be corrected, you have to keep in mind that the deal was, in part, due to the battle between Quebec and Newfoundland for Labrador.

The writers aren't bad either. Richler was a literary treasure and if you don't like his books, nobody is forcing you read them.

As for corrupt politicians, Quebec is certainly no worse in that area than BC is.
 
Nascar_James
#4
What does Quebec Export?

That's easy ... English Speaking Citizens.
 
TenPenny
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Much of the electricity that Quebec generates comes from Hydro power based in Quebec. While the deal that Newfoundland got stuck with on that is a travesty that should be corrected, you have to keep in mind that the deal was, in part, due to the battle between Quebec and Newfoundland for Labrador.

The writers aren't bad either. Richler was a literary treasure and if you don't like his books, nobody is forcing you read them.

As for corrupt politicians, Quebec is certainly no worse in that area than BC is.

NF got betrayed by the inability of the feds to force Quebec to allow NF to export power through the province. Churchill Falls made Quebec Hydro, and led to James Bay et al. But that was typical of the day.

Who was it who said about Richler, "I like his book; I read it every time he writes it." I don't recall claiming I was forced to read it, nor do I recall saying Quebec was the only place with corrupt politicians. I was just adding to the list of exports. And here are a couple of others:

Strippers
Pharmaceuticals
 
DoubleWitt
#6
Hi Vitamin C:

You said:
Quote:

When you insinuate that a people are unable to fend for themselves, unable to produce food, unable to make money, unable to do anything, how do you think it makes them feel?

When a parent treats their children like children, they feel like children. When adults treat adults like children who can't fend for themselves it doesn't feel good.

That is another reason why Quebec wants to separate.

I live in Quebec and was born here. I still live in Quebec even today. Actually, all the people I know never, ever thought those thoughts about French people. There may have been a small minority in Quebec somewhere however; but my understanding is that separatists blow that way out of proportion in order to find a reason for separation. And basically, it's not a valuable reason. Are French people suffering from an inferiority complex...? And they don't have the maturity to deal with it...? I'd rather see the French people succeed tremendously here in Quebec with us, and if afterwards they feel the same way well... And so why do you have to separate in order to prove things. And why terrorize the hearts of so many here in Quebec? Oh I forgot, you are so indifferent towards the English. It's strange somehow, that separatists don't yet realize that the English people have feelings too...! We love Canada and we were taught from way back that Quebec was part of Canada. That's our heart. But you want to rip it to pieces because of the past... how foolish...! Normally, we correct a problem with a solution but the so-called french separatists want to correct a problem with another problem...And worse than that, they want to correct the past - HOW MANY AGES BACK DO YOU WANT TO GO...? Maybe back to the medieval times and try to make some corrections. Is that mature reasoning...? Why are we so cruel and unfeeling towards the English...? What a horrible disgrace the way you all treated the Indians - are you trying to cover that one up...? If you want to reason the way you do and correct the past, then give Quebec back to the Indians that you so cruelly tortured...! The land belongs to them .

Respectfully,
DoubleWitt
 
no1important
#7
At least they exported Celine Dion to Vegas to torture Americans.......
 
Vitamin C
#8
llllll
 
Vitamin C
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by DoubleWitt

I live in Quebec and was born here. I still live in Quebec even today. Actually, all the people I know never, ever thought those thoughts about French people.

I wasn't talking about people in Quebec, I was talking about people in Ontario, and other parts of Canada. They ALWAYS say that Quebec will never succeed on it's own if it separates....and saying that is, in my opinion, demeaning......and btw I am definately not a separatist, and not quebecois either. I'm from ON, and hope that Quebec will always be part of Canada. But if we want them to stay I think we need to stop saying things like, "Your incapable of making it on your own...."

Quote: Originally Posted by DoubleWitt

And so why do you have to separate in order to prove things. And why terrorize the hearts of so many here in Quebec? Oh I forgot, you are so indifferent towards the English. It's strange somehow, that separatists don't yet realize that the English people have feelings too...!

I think that most french speaking quebecois people would say that a separation would benefit english speaking quebecois people just as much as french speaking quebecois people. They think that the economy will improve, education will improve, more jobs, etc.....I don't know that it's true, but I think that THEY THINK they are doing it for you as well.....

I think the problems we have are ones of communication. In Ontario, most people think that Quebec is a HAVE NOT province and that we give them tonnes of money....but in Quebec everyone thinks that they give tonnes of their money to the rest of Canada.....and in Alberta they think they give tonnes of money to Quebec....

Those are COMMUNICATION PROBLEMS, not real problems.....When there was an ice storm in Quebec.....the gov't helped them with money....when the mad cow thing happened in Alberta......WE (Canada) GAVE THEM MONEY......when SARS happened in Ontario....the federal government gave us money......

ITS CALLED A COUNTRY.......ITS CALLED SHARING......HELPING EACH OTHER.......But people in Alberta think everyone is out to get them.....people in Ontario think everyone is out to get them.....people in Quebec think everyone is out to get them.....Even people in NewFoundland thought we were all out to get them with that offshore oil deal......Its all communication problems caused by provincial gov'ts saying stuff to get re-elected....

HELL....Once I heard someone in Vancouver say that the police in Ontario give free bus tickets to homeless people and send them all to Vancouver.....and they actually believe it....its an accepted fact there......how ridiculous is that....all because some BC politician said that once....an obvious lie....
 
Nascar_James
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by no1important

At least they exported Celine Dion to Vegas to torture Americans.......

That is true. We need to re-export her back!
 
DoubleWitt
#11
Hi Vitamin C:

You said:
Quote:

But if we want them to stay I think we need to stop saying things like, "Your incapable of making it on your own...."

If ever statements were made like that, certainly French Quebecers misunderstood or rather misinterpreted the actual statement and it's meaning. That was not said to be a put down - but the French here have a chip on their shoulders - always thinking that we want to treat them like that. Will they ever get over it and forget...?! There are also things in life that you have to forgive and forget.
Serious people and analysts and economists and so on - people of great experience analyzed the Quebec economy and evaluated the situation on a very professional level and found that it was not favourable - that's all. Why should they interpret it differently...?
And actually, all the reasons they present for separation is just to cover their real motives - do you think I was born yesterday...?
Are there people in Canada or the US or internationally so naive to believe such a report from the french separatists. It seems the whole world is incompetent and they only know what to do...!
What is their problem...? You better look beyond all of this and discover the real truth about french separatists. What they present publically is only a cover for undisclosed motives. That's politics.

How come the French people don't have any guts to succeed...? They can't even look into their own French speaking community and culture and notice that Céline Dion can succeed even though Quebec is not separated - there was no barrier that she could not overcome. To me, that is an oustanding lady and a very gifted singer - but nothing stopped her. So what can stop French Quebecers from succeeding without separation...? How is it they can't look to her as an example...? In reality, Attitude makes the difference . Maybe there is a lack of determination on their part - and so instead of groping and complaining, if they could project all their efforts into the channel of success, then maybe you will start seeing some changes. I have plenty of confidence in the French Quebecers - and why not...?! Certainly, you've noticed that in Quebec we have so many different peoples immigrating from different countries and how is it they have success ? They are not complaining. You see, the French Quebecers are too busy complaining instead of doing what they would like to do.

Respectfully,
DoubleWitt
 
Martin Le Acadien
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Nascar_James

What does Quebec Export?

That's easy ... English Speaking Citizens.

Naw, French School Books to Louisiana.
Canal 4 Montreal TV.
Lots of Quebecois et Quebecoise to Louisiana in the Winter.
 
Vitamin C
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by DoubleWitt

f ever statements were made like that, certainly French Quebecers misunderstood or rather misinterpreted the actual statement and it's meaning. That was not said to be a put down - but the French here have a chip on their shoulders - always thinking that we want to treat them like that. Will they ever get over it and forget...?! There are also things in life that you have to forgive and forget.

The following are from a thread that can be found here:
http://www.canadiancontent.net/forum...r=asc&start=30

Quote: Originally Posted by CrEsPo

I think if Quebec separated it would be bad for them. They definately won't have good relations with Canada, there goes one trading partner. They would have to create a new dollar which would definately not start out as a high worth dollar. Another thing is resources; what would they trade? Quebec alone wouldn't have sufficient resources to sell to make a profit

Quote: Originally Posted by no1important

Quote:

We really are a distinct nation in this North America, whether the feds recognizes it or not.

You could say that about all provinces. You guys would make a very foolish mistake by leaving Canada. Quebec would turn into a third world state.

Quote: Originally Posted by no1important

What resources do you have? You got a deal to steal power (and money) from NFLD, you guys get huge sums of money from the feds via transfer payments and other forms. You guys can not do it on your own.

Quote: Originally Posted by no1important

Quebec will increase taxes 50 fold once they seperate, your medical will go through the roof, you have nothing to export, your currencey would be worthless on the international stage, mass poverty will be the norm, job losses as the Feds and other Canadian companies would leave,no money to build your own infrastructure (army, etc)

Canada is not going to support you like we do now once you leave or if you leave. Your cash cow will be over.

Quote: Originally Posted by no1important

Like what are your exports? You won't have the Feds propping up Bombardier or other Quebec companies. The Feds will leave as will many other Canadian companies in that province. No more free money from transfer payments. So there goes a huge chunk of the provincial tax base.

You can not keep your economy or standard of living where it is now if you people were to ever seperate. You won't have the Tax base etc.Thats the reality. It will be tough times for Quebec

Quote: Originally Posted by Chake99

I have to agree with No1important that if Quebec seperates it will worsen the standard of living, it will suddenly be much less desirable for companies.

....There are many posts by other people here that are very similar to these.......it is a very common view in Ontario....and the RoC
 
Reverend Blair
#14
Quote:

There are many posts by other people here that are very similar to these.......it is a very common view in Ontario....and the RoC

It will worsen the standard of living, at least initially. That goes for any province or region that decides to separate. Corporate money hates instability and separating causes instability.

What happens in the long run is dependent on how long the instability lasts. That cannot be predicted.
 
no1important
#15
Quebec has a modern post-industrial economy with a positive trade balance. Since the signing of the free trade agreement between Canada and the United States in 1987, along with the rest of industrialized Canada, Quebec exports to the American market have increased substantially in most sectors.

In 2002, Quebec had a GDP per capita of US$27,601. It imported US$83.363 billion of goods and services and exported US$92.195 billion. Approximately 85 per cent of all Quebec exports go to the United States.

Quebecs Economy and Exports
 
Ten Packs
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Nascar_James

Quote: Originally Posted by no1important

At least they exported Celine Dion to Vegas to torture Americans.......

That is true. We need to re-export her back!

Not a chance, James - it's the same as William Shatner, Pam Anderson and Art Linkletter - you got' em - you keep ' em!


 
Steve French
#17
Intolerance and a dead language?
French is like Latin, only they don't know it yet.
 
Vitamin C
#18
I think it's a pretty common view in Quebec that Celine Dion only succeeded because she stopping singing in french, and started singing in english.

She also moved to the United States because she wanted to be rich, and she wouldn't have been rich if she stayed here.

Both those things make her a national disgrace and sellout to people in Quebec.....I think anyway....but I don't assert that I speak for anyone other than myself...
 
TenPenny
#19
I agree; Celine Dion only became the success she is because she went after the market - English singing for Americans. My thoughts are, "whatever". She doesn't appeal to me on any level - I do not like her singing at all.

To my mind, she's no loss to Quebec or Canada at all. Quebec has a vibrant culture that will survive poseurs like her. If she wants to worship at the altar of Las Vegas, and symbolize everything that is wrong with North American society, so be it.
 
DoubleWitt
#20
It's interesting to see the different viewpoints about Celine Dion - I never really thought about it like that.

DoubleWitt
 
missile
Conservative
#21
The only reason I don't like her is that she sang some Disney songs and that horrible"My heart Will Go On" She did give a million bucks to the New Orleans relief effort tho,she's not all that bad.
 
mrmom2
#22
Smelly long haired smokers is what Quebec exports :P Go to the patch there everywhere
 
LeftCoast
#23
I hope Quebec never leave Canada. Apart from the cultural and historical impact of tearing apart two of the founding peoples that made Canada, seperation would weaken both Quebec and Canada.
 
Shiva
#24
Celine Dion couldn't have made it that big in Canada not because she was from Quebec, but because she's in Canada. No English Canadian could make it that big in Canada either. Reality: Canada has a population of only 30 million people. The U.S. market is nearly ten times that, meaning even if you appeal to a small segment of the population, we're talking big $$$. Separation isn't going to change that.

So why is she a sell-out because she got rich quick? The only good dollar is an honest dollar, and last I checked she got rich through her hard work. Like or dislike her work- fine, who cares? - but to imply she has bad character because she made a lot of money in a foreign country just sounds like jealousy... Would people really think so lowly of her if she made that money in the UK or some other country? Probably not.

Another point: A lot of people in Ontario do think that Quebec can't make it on its own- but the reverse is also true, i.e, they think any one province cannot make it on its own. That goes for us Ontarians, too. There are so many advantages to Confederation, and individually we are all weaker. If the refrain is brought up time and again in reference to Quebec, it's because that's the province with a separatist movement.
 
Vitamin C
#25
Celine Dion used to sing in French. If you compare her French songs to her English songs, you would find the french songs are much better.

Her French songs are art, from the heart....real music....

When any musicien changes their music so that they can make money, they are a sell-out.....thats what a sell-out is....someone who compromises art for money....

And there are many Canadian musicians who have made it big.....In English Canada Brian Adams, Nickleback, The Tragically Hip, K-OS etc....

And there are many Quebecois musiciens who have made it big singing french. You just have never heard of them. They make it big in Quebec, and then they go to France and sing, and go to all the hundreds of other French speaking countries around the world....half of Africa.....etc.....

Quebec has rap stars, rock stars....country music stars.....every kind of music you can think of......

And all of this has nothing to do with separatism....it has to do with Canada not understanding Quebec....
 
Shiva
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Vitamin C

Celine Dion used to sing in French. If you compare her French songs to her English songs, you would find the french songs are much better.

Her French songs are art, from the heart....real music....

When any musicien changes their music so that they can make money, they are a sell-out.....thats what a sell-out is....someone who compromises art for money....

And there are many Canadian musicians who have made it big.....In English Canada Brian Adams, Nickleback, The Tragically Hip, K-OS etc....

And there are many Quebecois musiciens who have made it big singing french. You just have never heard of them. They make it big in Quebec, and then they go to France and sing, and go to all the hundreds of other French speaking countries around the world....half of Africa.....etc.....

Quebec has rap stars, rock stars....country music stars.....every kind of music you can think of......

And all of this has nothing to do with separatism....it has to do with Canada not understanding Quebec....

I find that hard to believe. Not everything is about Canada not understanding Quebec. Afterall, we're talking about the actions of Celine Dion, not me or anyone else. Does Celine Dion not understand Quebec? If so, what does that have to do with the rest of us in Canada? You see, I think you've misunderstood me, because I understand intellectually the argument you're putting forward, I simply disagree with it. That's not the same thing as not 'understanding'.

First of all, her songs in French may be better than her English songs, but it's not as if she wrote them anyway. She's just a singer who sings the best of the selections put before her. She's not some prolific singer/writer who has a message in her music she's carefully thought out.

Also, you say that because her French lyrics & music was better, that she sold out to less quality work in English because of the money. Well, you're presuming she was in that line of work to begin with because she had some artistic urge she needed to get out, but turned her back on that for the sake of profit. The fact that she's not a song writer suggests that perhaps she's not so artistically driven with her work, though a great song would be fun and good for her career. How do we really know her motivations for getting into this line of work to begin with? Seeing as she was a young lady who didn't speak English when she began, she couldn't start her career in English even if she had wanted to. She started out in French, and used her success there to bridge over to English music. None of that means that she was in the line of work for artistry- her motive could have been getting paid well right from day one. And what's wrong with that?

You say she may have been able to do just as well in French as she has in English. Well, I'm sure she could have attained success, but to the same level? Of course not. There's simply more English speakers world-wide, and more of them live in affluent nations (which means more money off of her records). Ultimately, she thought she could do better in English music money-wise, & so she switched. So what? There are migrant workers all over the world, it doesn't mean she doesn't love her homeland. Do you think all those people who leave Quebec for work are sell-outs, too, just because they could have earned a living in Quebec though not as much (& maybe not doing the work their heart was in)?

How would you feel about people publicly discussing your choice of how to attain success? Would you welcome that, or would you feel it was none of their business? Granted, she is a public figure due to the nature of her work, but she still has a right to make her own decisions on how to live her own life. And I do believe that people should treat others how they'd wish to be treated, and considering most people would not be pleased by others condemning their choice of line of work (and questioning their integrity as a result, even though in this case it's a completely legal/moral way of earning a living), maybe we shouldn't be doing that with her, either.
 
DoubleWitt
#27
Simple common sense ...

When you plan a career wisely in whatever field you might choose, there shouldn't be any limits. Otherwise you would achieve maybe only half of what you could possibly achieve - and so why define your career with limits...? Why stand faithfully with hindering limits when you can do more...? It's no dishonor to move forward in life when the opportunity presents itself...! Thanks for the USA, and thanks for every other country worldwide...! They ALL contributed to her success. Even if you don't like her singing, you can still admit that she has an outstanding voice and a gift...! That lady can sing real beautiful ...! AND she still loves the people in Quebec very much... eventually maybe, you'll realize that she has got a lot of "heart" too... If you knew how many she has helped along the way...

DoubleWitt
 
Vitamin C
#28
There are also a lot of quebecois songs about people moving away from quebec, whether it be to Ottawa or the USA for a job....

It's sad the same way it's sad that people have to leave their small town communities everywhere......

In NewFoundland most young people have to leave their home to find work....

I think it's sad when you have to leave your community and culture to make a life for yourself....and Celine Dion represents that sadness for me.....

And it's not like immigrants leaving some huge country to go make a better life, because there are not THAT many quebecois people...and the culture is somewhat delicate....

I don't think it is seriously threatened right now.....but that could change very easily and very quickly......
 
no1important
#29
Quebec's ducks are pretty good. I don't know if they are exported internationally though.