Chinese dollar store MINISO plans to open 500 stores in Canada

B00Mer

One of the world’s fastest growing retailers is planning a major penetration into the Canadian retail landscape by opening up to 500 stores within the next few years.

Chinese dollar store giant MINISO will be ramping up its expansion plans in Canada, according to Retail Insider. With both Chinese and Japanese co-founders, the company is known for selling Japanese-designed household and consumer goods, such as cosmetics, stationary, toys, and kitchenware.

Metro Vancouver locations

The company opened its first Canadian location in Vancouver at 1256 West Broadway earlier this year, and it plans to open three more locations in Metro Vancouver over the coming weeks and months.

Canada’s second MINISO will open at Tsawwassen Mills next week while additional locations at West Vancouver’s Park Royal shopping centre and 550 Granville Street in downtown Vancouver will open in July.

Expansion to Toronto and Montreal

After its first wave of expansion in Vancouver, MINISO will open locations in Toronto and Montreal and will continue its Canadian expansion at a rate of dozens of new stores each year, with as many as 50 stores over the coming 12 months. It is strategically choosing a franchise model to allow for its rapid growth.

With stores generally no larger than 2,000 square feet, MINISO stores are significantly smaller than those of Japanese dollar store Daiso, which opened its first and only Canadian location in Metro Vancouver’s Aberdeen Centre in 2003 – a two-level, 26,000-square-foot store.

If MINISO moves forward with its ambitious Canadian expansion plans, it could disrupt the nation’s ultra low-cost retailer market dominated by Dollarama, which announced its plans earlier this spring to grow from 1,100 stores to 1,700 stores over the next several years.

MINISO was founded in 2011 in Mainland China and has quickly grown to 1,800 locations across Asia. It has similar expansion plan for Australia, where it plans to open 300 stores over the next three years. Across the world, the chain aims to grow to 6,000 stores.

source

Curious Cdn
I can't wait to buy one of those trendy Rolflex watches. It'll go nicely with the Luis Vitton cufflinks that they're selling across the aisle.

B00Mer
Kind of wondering if Walmart will take a hit.. back east GiantTiger has taken some market share from Walmart.

Curious Cdn
Giant Tiger has been around (in Canada) longer than Walmart. They were an Ottawa area store until a couple of decades ago. There were a few other chains like them that came acropper. The biggest one was BiWay, which was part of the Dilex retailing family and they went down with that ship, leaving room in the marketplace for Giant Tiger.

B00Mer
Yeah, but GiantTiger has been expanding by leaps and bounds.. opening stores even in Western Canada.

Their recent growth has not gone unnoticed by Walmart.. (trust me)

Curious Cdn
Waaaaaaay back, when I was a boy, it was Woolworth's and Kresge's. There was a little, local chain in Montreal called Rosseys that evolved into Dollarama when another generation inherited the business.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Waaaaaaay back, when I was a boy, it was Woolworth's and Kresge's. There was a little, local chain in Montreal called Rosseys that evolved into Dollarama when another generation inherited the business.

Talk about dating yourself..

..way back about 165 million years ago, when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

B00Mer
Dollarama Inc profit surges 17% as customers spend more money in the discount chain’s stores

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

One of the world’s fastest growing retailers is planning a major penetration into the Canadian retail landscape by opening up to 500 stores within the next few years.

Chinese dollar store giant MINISO will be ramping up its expansion plans in Canada, according to Retail Insider. With both Chinese and Japanese co-founders, the company is known for selling Japanese-designed household and consumer goods, such as cosmetics, stationary, toys, and kitchenware.

Metro Vancouver locations

The company opened its first Canadian location in Vancouver at 1256 West Broadway earlier this year, and it plans to open three more locations in Metro Vancouver over the coming weeks and months.

Canada’s second MINISO will open at Tsawwassen Mills next week while additional locations at West Vancouver’s Park Royal shopping centre and 550 Granville Street in downtown Vancouver will open in July.

Expansion to Toronto and Montreal

After its first wave of expansion in Vancouver, MINISO will open locations in Toronto and Montreal and will continue its Canadian expansion at a rate of dozens of new stores each year, with as many as 50 stores over the coming 12 months. It is strategically choosing a franchise model to allow for its rapid growth.

With stores generally no larger than 2,000 square feet, MINISO stores are significantly smaller than those of Japanese dollar store Daiso, which opened its first and only Canadian location in Metro Vancouver’s Aberdeen Centre in 2003 – a two-level, 26,000-square-foot store.

If MINISO moves forward with its ambitious Canadian expansion plans, it could disrupt the nation’s ultra low-cost retailer market dominated by Dollarama, which announced its plans earlier this spring to grow from 1,100 stores to 1,700 stores over the next several years.

MINISO was founded in 2011 in Mainland China and has quickly grown to 1,800 locations across Asia. It has similar expansion plan for Australia, where it plans to open 300 stores over the next three years. Across the world, the chain aims to grow to 6,000 stores.

source

im glad that another dollar store is coming. its too bad they are not full size dollar stores.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

im glad that another dollar store is coming. its too bad they are not full size dollar stores.

WTF is a full size dollar store.. or is it the Canadian dollar is $0.71 to the USD, they are 71 cent stores.. never mind

spaminator

WTF is a full size dollar store.. or is it the Canadian dollar is $0.71 to the USD, they are 71 cent stores.. never mind

what I meant was I wanted the dollar stores to be as large as possible so that they would have more inventory.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

what I meant was I wanted the dollar stores to be as large as possible so that they would have more inventory.

Yes that would be pretty nice.. it would give stores like Walmart a run for their money.

DollarGeneral in the USA have full grocery sections, I love DollarGeneral.

BigLots may be what you looking for..

petros
It's only the beginning of Chinese wholesale and retail.

Sask. developer's $45M project officially breaks ground at Global Transportation Hub - Saskatchewan - CBC News

GTH needs it's own thread.

Yes that would be pretty nice.. it would give stores like Walmart a run for their money.

DollarGeneral in the USA have full grocery sections, I love DollarGeneral.

BigLots may be what you looking for..

I'm looking forward to the stranded and freight damaged goods auctions from the GTH Foreign Trade Zone in Regina.

lone wolf
Sounds like a great deal ... until you realize you have to buy a half-dozen to find (or make) one that works

coldstream
You know absolutely none of the product sold in this store would be made in Canada. It'd all be Chinese made and often in criminally exploitive labour conditions. It would be at the expense of Canadian jobs, what few are remaining in small manufacturing.

It's time to reinstitute fair trade laws and tariffs to ensure Canadian made goods can be competitive in their home market. We'll see how interested MINISO would be if they were forced to tap Canadian suppliers. My guess is not much.

'Free' Trade has failed catastrophically for all but a small cabal of traders and financiers.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

You know absolutely none of the product sold in this store would be made in Canada. It'd all be Chinese made and often in criminally exploitive labour conditions. It would be at the expense of Canadian jobs, what few are remaining in small manufacturing.

It's time to reinstitute fair trade laws and tariffs to ensure Canadian made goods can be competitive in their home market. We'll see how interested MINISO would be if they were forced to tap Canadian suppliers. My guess is not much.

'Free' Trade has failed catastrophically for all but a small cabal of traders and financiers.

Even the maple syrup?

They will source from where ever is cheapest which means even a few Canadian items will meet that criteria. Logistics aren't cheap. It can be cheaper to source Canadian than pay to ship from overseas.

coldstream
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Even the maple syrup?

They will source from where ever is cheapest which means even a few Canadian items will meet that criteria. Logistics aren't cheap. It can be cheaper to source Canadian than pay to ship from overseas.

Not if you ship in bulk, in giant container ships. And this sounds like a 'dry goods' operation. They won't be selling food stuffs or Maple Syrup or other perishables.

TenPenny
No different than the existing dollar stores, where 80% of the goods are imported, mostly from China.

Ludlow
Only things I liked at McDonalds was the filet o fish sammich and apple pie..

bill barilko
It's the Chinese version of the super successful Daiso-not that any of you have ever heard of it.

Curious Cdn

Do you want to assemble widgets for 50¢ an hour? Why do you think that other Canadians should?

Bar Sinister

Other than food products is anything sold in this type of store made in Canada?

coldstream
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Do you want to assemble widgets for 50¢ an hour? Why do you think that other Canadians should?

We have no middle and lower end manufacturing left in this country. Before the onset of Free Trade, people did all sorts of jobs in this country and made a living wage. They did not have to compete with slave colonies and Maquilladoras, whose cost of living and wages are a fraction of what they are in Canada.

The old Free Market sophistry is foisted on as inevitable 'truth'. That it is a winning situation for all. This has been conclusively disproved. We now have an economy where the workplace is inundated with insecurity, exploitation, impermanence. We have a ever dimishing class of traders and financiers who profit grotesquely from the paradigm and pay minimum regressive taxes.

The rest of the country struggles. The lauded 21st Century jobs of the intellectual, abstract, information economy AT BEST will provide jobs for 20% of the workforce. What's everyone else going to do. We need an integrated industrial economy that will provide jobs for people who work with their hands as well as their heads.
Last edited by coldstream; May 20th, 2017 at 12:52 PM..

Musky
Cling to the past....blame immigrants....or robots....or whatever you like.

Kreskin
I want my 5 and dime stores back.

IdRatherBeSkiing
I like Dollar Tree. Shop at them, Giant Tiger and WalMart. Not a big fan of Dollarama.