Saudi Arabia bans anyone from naming their children Linda

Locutus
  • Interior ministry justified ban by saying name sounds 'foreign'
  • They are either considered blasphemous, or were 'inappropriate'
  • Not all the names are normally considered offensive to Muslims
  • Binyamin is banned. It happens is the name of the Israeli PM
  • Also included are Alice, Elaine, Lauren, Sandy and May

Saudi Arabia bans anyone from naming their children Linda | Mail Online

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Add that to the long list of things that you are legally barred from doing in Saudi Arabia.

spaminator
+5
#3  Top Rated Post
I guess no one there will be hearing, 'linda, honey listen to me.'

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
I wonder what they have against popular names for children from 1945-65.

Tecumsehsbones
Gotta admit, this one makes sense.

El Barto
+1
So , when were you born?
ummmm errrr between april and june

Tecumsehsbones
Only filthy, vicious, bigoted Moose-lums would do something this filthy, vicious, and bigoted.

Well, only filthy, vicious, bigoted Moose-lums and Germany, Sweden, Norway, New Zealand, Japan, Denmark, and California.

El Barto
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Only filthy, vicious, bigoted Moose-lums would do something this filthy, vicious, and bigoted.

Well, only filthy, vicious, bigoted Moose-lums and Germany, Sweden, Norway, New Zealand, Japan, Denmark, and California.

Moose-lums? you know you just offended the whole state of Maine eh?

lone wolf
Free Thinker
I guess Ol' Ray (another Brantford boy - but nowhere near as nuts) won't be playing there any time soon....

Ray Materick - Linda Put The Coffee On - YouTube

Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

I guess no one there will be hearing, 'linda, honey listen to me.'

I remember the hook. What's title and artist?

petros
It must be because of the Spanish meaning of Linda.

El Barto
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

It must be because of the Spanish meaning of Linda.

You are going to keep us guessing?
What is it?

MHz
Invade, invade!

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by El Barto View Post

You are going to keep us guessing?
What is it?

Linda en inglés | Traductor español a inglés | English to Spanish Translation

Nothing uncomplimentary or anti-Allah

Someone just had to say something

Nuggler
(January 2009)

Linda is a female given name.
The name might be derived from the same root as the linden tree, from Germanic lind meaning "soft, tender" ultimately from a Celtic root. The image of the tree is used to indicate a gentle personality.
It may also come from the neo Latin language (Italian, Spanish or Portuguese) word linda, which is the feminine form of lindo, meaning "beautiful, pretty, cute" (Spanish) and "clean" (Italian).
Alternatively it may be derived from the mythical creature/concept known as ouroboros, in the variations "Celt Lindworm" (a wingless bipedal dragon) and "Scandinavian Lindworm" (a seaserpent).
Muchalinda, Mucalinda or Mucilinda is also the name of the naga (snake-like being), who protected the Buddha from the elements after his enlightenment.

In some languages, such as German, the name is frequently used in combination with another name, using the suffix "-linde", for example in Sieglinde or Heidelinde.

Lynda is a common variant spelling of the name in English. Among other names in use in English speaking countries that include the -linda suffix are Melinda, Belinda, Carlinda, Celinda, Rosalinda and Mirlinda.

It can also be a related name for Lindsay.

The name days for Linda are on September 1 (Czech Rep.), June 20 (Sweden), April 15 (Finland/Germany), February 13 (Hungary, Poland), September 2 (Slovakia), September 4 (Poland) and August 21 (Latvia). Linda's name day in Switzerland is on the 19th of June.

Yep, lots there for the Ayrabs to get upset about.

El Barto
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

(January 2009)

Linda is a female given name.
The name might be derived from the same root as the linden tree, from Germanic lind meaning "soft, tender" ultimately from a Celtic root. The image of the tree is used to indicate a gentle personality.
It may also come from the neo Latin language (Italian, Spanish or Portuguese) word linda, which is the feminine form of lindo, meaning "beautiful, pretty, cute" (Spanish) and "clean" (Italian).
Alternatively it may be derived from the mythical creature/concept known as ouroboros, in the variations "Celt Lindworm" (a wingless bipedal dragon) and "Scandinavian Lindworm" (a seaserpent).
Muchalinda, Mucalinda or Mucilinda is also the name of the naga (snake-like being), who protected the Buddha from the elements after his enlightenment.

In some languages, such as German, the name is frequently used in combination with another name, using the suffix "-linde", for example in Sieglinde or Heidelinde.

Lynda is a common variant spelling of the name in English. Among other names in use in English speaking countries that include the -linda suffix are Melinda, Belinda, Carlinda, Celinda, Rosalinda and Mirlinda.

It can also be a related name for Lindsay.

The name days for Linda are on September 1 (Czech Rep.), June 20 (Sweden), April 15 (Finland/Germany), February 13 (Hungary, Poland), September 2 (Slovakia), September 4 (Poland) and August 21 (Latvia). Linda's name day in Switzerland is on the 19th of June.

Yep, lots there for the Ayrabs to get upset about.

Thank you very much but a simpler reply could of been ....Google it you lazy a$$

I tried googling it what it meant in arab ....... nuffin

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+4
Funny how it comes off the tongue sounding nicer than some Arabic noise that sounds like someone hawking a loogy.