'Microsoft' scammer threatens to kill B.C. man

tay
+1
The "Microsoft tech support" scam is now the biggest telephone ripoff in Canada — but as B.C. man Jakob Dulisse found, callers are using increasingly nasty tactics to steal our money.

Dulisse of Nelson, B.C., decided to take matters into his own hands two weeks ago, turning the tables on a man falsely claiming to be calling from California to offer Microsoft tech support.

"He wanted to get on to my computer to show me how badly corrupt it was and [said] he would fix it from there," Dulisse told Go Public.

"It became pretty obvious from the start that this was a scammer … a lot of red flags went up. He kind of mumbled his last name, sort of mumbled the business name. It was obviously not a legitimate call."

Dulisse played along for a while, secretly recording the conversation and questioning the caller, asking if he was really from Microsoft and really calling from California.

The caller became irritated, but it wasn't until Dulisse asked why the man would try to steal from unsuspecting people that the conversation took what Dulisse calls a "sinister turn."

He started getting kind of nasty and angry.

"He admitted that he was in India … and then he said, 'If you come to India, you know what we do to Anglo people?' I said, 'No.'

"He said, 'We cut them up in little pieces and throw them in the river."

But it didn't end there. The scammer knew Dulisse's full name and Canadian address, telling him he would send someone to his home to kill him.

Dulisse said the threats were chilling, but hard to take seriously.

"He was still trying to get me to do what he was trying to do with my computer. He was actually threatening me as a tactic."

These aggressive tactics are becoming more common with this kind of scam, according to Gregg Keizer, a reporter who writes about Microsoft for digital magazine Computerworld.

Other victims report getting dozens of calls the same day from scammers hoping the person will just give in.

Keizer said people continue to fall for the scam for two reasons.

First, many aren't tech savvy enough to know if their computer has been compromised. But mostly, he said, it's about fear.

People are afraid their online banking information and other personal data could get into the wrong hands so they accept what sounds like help from an expert, not realizing the real thief is on the phone line.

In some cases, if scammers get access to someone's computer, they plant viruses or Trojan malware — malicious computer code — to harvest passwords for banking or other personal data.

But in most cases, the bad guys are looking for a quick payoff.

Those who fall for the scam are asked to pay a fee of around $100 to "clean" their computer, when in fact there is nothing wrong with it.

Others are conned into a contract that could last years, leaving them on the hook for hundreds of dollars.

video

'Microsoft tech support' scammer recorded threatening to kill B.C. man - British Columbia - CBC News

DaSleeper
+1
They can get your phone number and associated name from any reverse directory...
Got one of them calls a couple of months ago on my wife's cell phone (the number is still in the phone directory since we transferred the land line number to her cell when we went completely cellular)
She couldn't understand what he was saying because of the accent....so she handed me the phone.
It didn't take long for me to suspect a scam, so I told him, "If you are really from Microsoft like you claim and if you know that I have a virus on my PC, to know that you would have to know who my service provider is and what my IP is, so you tell me those two things and I'll do what you ask"
I had no intention of doing anything like that ......but he hung up....

petros
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
I just tell them to f-ck off.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

I just tell them to f-ck off.

It should be legal to kill those cckskers!

SLM
It's pretty simple really. Unless you're paying for real tech support, no legitimate tech support is ever going to call you up. Microsoft is many things but a charity isn't one of them.

Cliffy
I got a call one night at supper time. The guy was obviously in India and asked to speak to me. I asked politiely to have my name taken off his list and he went ballistic. Started screaming he was going to call me every night until I bought what he was trying to sell me. I laughed and told him he was an azzhole and hung up. He phone at the same time for several nights. I didn't answer and he eventually gave up.

IdRatherBeSkiing
The minute I hear "Microsoft Technical Support" I just say "Sorry, your a scam" and hang up before he can say anything else.

Cliffy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

The minute I hear "Microsoft Technical Support" I just say "Sorry, your a scam" and hang up before he can say anything else.

I do too because I have a Mac.

JLM
+2
I have one rule of thumb.................never engage in a sale you haven't initiated yourself.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

It should be legal to kill those cckskers!

Yeah, coz then you could hop right on a plane, fly to India, pick out the one person out of a billion who called you, and kill him! Legally!

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Yeah, coz then you could hop right on a plane, fly to India, pick out the one person out of a billion who called you, and kill him! Legally!

Did I say it would be easy?

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Did I say it would be easy?

Murder is not for those with commitment issues.

B00Mer
The first clue that it is fake is that Microsoft would not proactively call customers to fix their problems.

Fraud experts say to "be nice to scammers"! Lol! Only in Canada!

Be nice when you hang up on scammers, fraud expert says - Saskatchewan - CBC News

KiethB
One threatened to kill me just the other day. I'd LOVE to see a little Pakistani come to my door to make good on it!

Sparrow
I also got a few calls from them but thanked them and told them that I was also tech support for microsoft. haha they never called back, I wonder why!

taxslave
Air horn. Never get a repeat.