The Legacy of George W. Bush

gopher
No Party Affiliation
States and cities beg for money:

Suffering Ohio begs for federal lifeline - Washington Post- msnbc.com

''As the economy sputters and tax revenue plummets, governors and mayors across the United States are lining up to ask President-elect Barack Obama and the new Congress for hundreds of billions of dollars to plug holes in their budgets, arguing that services will suffer and joblessness will rise if Washington does not come to the rescue.
In Ohio, which has shed 100,000 jobs in the past year, Gov. Ted Strickland (D) and his budget team spend a lot of time delivering bad news to constituents and plotting ways to wring money from the federal government. He announced $640 million in cuts for the budget year ending June 30, for a total of $1.9 billion since the economic crisis began. ''

Another example of Bush's legacy: the failed Reaganomics 'trickle down' theory which never worked except to make the wealthy wealthier.

Tyr
Free Thinker
Hurricane Katrina not only pulverized the Gulf Coast in 2005, it knocked the bully pulpit out from under President George W. Bush, according to two former advisers who spoke candidly about the political impact of the government's poor handling of the natural disaster.
"Katrina to me was the tipping point," said Matthew Dowd, Bush's pollster and chief strategist for the 2004 presidential campaign. "The president broke his bond with the public. Once that bond was broken, he no longer had the capacity to talk to the American public. State of the Union addresses? It didn't matter. Legislative initiatives? It didn't matter. P.R.? It didn't matter. Travel? It didn't matter."
Dan Bartlett, former White House communications director and later counselor to the president, said: "Politically, it was the final nail in the coffin."

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+1
Bush borrowed money to pay for his war on Iraq and to pay for the growth of the military industrial complex. He never paid a cent for these wastages of money and he left the bill for these in the hands of future generations.

The Republicans always pretend to be the party of fiscal responsibility. But the record clearly shows they are the party of fiscal irresponsibility . Bush's lasting legacy will be that he proved to the world what a bunch of liars and phonies the Republicans all are and always have been.

Unfortunately, they also succeed in ascribing their faults to the Democrats who, all too often, stupidly sit by and allow this to happen. Bush's wars and wstages will have to be paid for by tax increases and further government service reductions. And soon enough the Republicans will blame the Democrats and use this in their campaigns.

Tyr
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

Bush borrowed money to pay for his war on Iraq and to pay for the growth of the military industrial complex. He never paid a cent for these wastages of money and he left the bill for these in the hands of future generations.

The Republicans always pretend to be the party of fiscal responsibility. But the record clearly shows they are the party of fiscal irresponsibility . Bush's lasting legacy will be that he proved to the world what a bunch of liars and phonies the Republicans all are and always have been.

Unfortunately, they also succeed in ascribing their faults to the Democrats who, all too often, stupidly sit by and allow this to happen. Bush's wars and wstages will have to be paid for by tax increases and further government service reductions. And soon enough the Republicans will blame the Democrats and use this in their campaigns.

americans have very short memories

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+1
Bush's failure list:

Broken Government | Failures by Full List

Failures : Full List

• Consumers & Workers
    • Limited Ability To Block Dangerous Imports
    • FDA Enforcement Actions Way Down
    • USDA Challenged Over Meat Safety
    • Lack of Adequate Foreign Drug Oversight
    • Problems in Oversight of Food Safety
    • OSHA’s Laissez-Faire Attitude
    • FDA Failure To Ensure Drug Safety
    • Failure To Protect Consumers From Unsafe Products
    • Oversight Collapse Leads To Mine Safety Issues
    • Agricultural Quarantine Inspection Stumbles
    • Eroding Budget Erodes Consumer Safety
    • Lack of Quorum at the CPSC
  • Contracting & Workforce
    • A Failure of Whistleblower Protection
    • Labor Relations Authority: Low Morale, Backlogged Cases
    • Contractors Failing Troops in Iraq and Afghanistan
    • Human Capital Issues Plague Government
    • Surge in Outsourcing Creates Problems in Performance, Oversight
    • Chronic Understaffing at the EEOC

and there is MUCH more!

Walter
A fond farewell to Bush

By SALIM MANSUR
Last Updated: 16th January 2009, 4:19am

As President George W. Bush departs from the White House, he leaves with the lowest public approval for any president since Harry Truman.
Public opinion, however, is fickle. Except in a few instances -- such as the public opinion about Richard Nixon over the Watergate scandal, or about Jimmy Carter undermined by the humiliation of American diplomats held hostage by Khomeini's Iran -- public opinion rarely influences the judgment historians reach with sufficient passage of time.
In a recent ranking of American presidents from George Washington to Bill Clinton done for the Federalist Society by 78 scholars of American history, Truman was ranked in the company of the "near great" presidents that included Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, Andrew Jackson, Ronald Reagan, Dwight Eisenhower and Woodrow Wilson. The three "great" presidents in the view of the same group of scholars were George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and Franklin Roosevelt.
I have no doubt that with the passage of time Bush will be viewed in entirely different light.
His presidency was transformed by the events of 9/11 as Bush went from being peace time president to becoming war time leader and commander-in-chief, just as Truman's presidency was by the onset of the Cold War.
Secure
Through two world wars the United States mainland remained untouched by the reach of her enemies until 9/11. Since that September morning over seven years ago the Bush administration kept Americans safe and their homeland secure, and for this remarkable success history will judge Bush far more kindly than his contemporaries.
It was the Bush policy of regime change in Afghanistan and Iraq following 9/11 with the freedom agenda for the Middle East -- with Truman it was the decision to save the Korean peninsula, or at least a part of it, from the Communist takeover -- that made for the bitter controversy domestically and abroad.
But long after the critics of Bush have bitten dust and been forgotten, people will be talking about him, as they do about Truman, reflecting upon the consequences of his decision that brought freedom for 50 million people in the Arab-Muslim world. How these people build positively upon their freedom, or squander it, will be a commentary upon them and not Bush.
In bidding Bush adieu I am reminded of John Macmurray, a moral philosopher who taught in the middle years of the last century at the University of Edinburgh. In 1949 he spoke at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont., and his lectures were published in a small book titled Conditions of Freedom.
Macmurray asked his audience, "When we profess our faith in freedom we often mean only that we want to be free. What value, what honour is there in such a miserable faith?"
Macmurray answered his own question observing, "To believe in freedom, in any sense worthy of consideration, is to believe in setting other people free. This is to some extent within our power, and it is the greatest service we can render; even if it must be, at times, by the sacrifice of our own."
Bush will be remembered long past the quarrels of his time in office, as is Truman, Reagan and the three "great" presidents in American history, for serving with courage and conviction the cause of freedom.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

A fond farewell to Bush

By SALIM MANSUR
Last Updated: 16th January 2009, 4:19am

As President George W. Bush departs from the White House, he leaves with the lowest public approval for any president since Harry Truman.
Public opinion, however, is fickle. Except in a few instances -- such as the public opinion about Richard Nixon over the Watergate scandal, or about Jimmy Carter undermined by the humiliation of American diplomats held hostage by Khomeini's Iran -- public opinion rarely influences the judgment historians reach with sufficient passage of time.
In a recent ranking of American presidents from George Washington to Bill Clinton done for the Federalist Society by 78 scholars of American history, Truman was ranked in the company of the "near great" presidents that included Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, Andrew Jackson, Ronald Reagan, Dwight Eisenhower and Woodrow Wilson. The three "great" presidents in the view of the same group of scholars were George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and Franklin Roosevelt.
I have no doubt that with the passage of time Bush will be viewed in entirely different light.
His presidency was transformed by the events of 9/11 as Bush went from being peace time president to becoming war time leader and commander-in-chief, just as Truman's presidency was by the onset of the Cold War.
Secure
Through two world wars the United States mainland remained untouched by the reach of her enemies until 9/11. Since that September morning over seven years ago the Bush administration kept Americans safe and their homeland secure, and for this remarkable success history will judge Bush far more kindly than his contemporaries.
It was the Bush policy of regime change in Afghanistan and Iraq following 9/11 with the freedom agenda for the Middle East -- with Truman it was the decision to save the Korean peninsula, or at least a part of it, from the Communist takeover -- that made for the bitter controversy domestically and abroad.
But long after the critics of Bush have bitten dust and been forgotten, people will be talking about him, as they do about Truman, reflecting upon the consequences of his decision that brought freedom for 50 million people in the Arab-Muslim world. How these people build positively upon their freedom, or squander it, will be a commentary upon them and not Bush.
In bidding Bush adieu I am reminded of John Macmurray, a moral philosopher who taught in the middle years of the last century at the University of Edinburgh. In 1949 he spoke at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont., and his lectures were published in a small book titled Conditions of Freedom.
Macmurray asked his audience, "When we profess our faith in freedom we often mean only that we want to be free. What value, what honour is there in such a miserable faith?"
Macmurray answered his own question observing, "To believe in freedom, in any sense worthy of consideration, is to believe in setting other people free. This is to some extent within our power, and it is the greatest service we can render; even if it must be, at times, by the sacrifice of our own."
Bush will be remembered long past the quarrels of his time in office, as is Truman, Reagan and the three "great" presidents in American history, for serving with courage and conviction the cause of freedom.

There could be a lot of truth there, Walter. A lot of the "bad mouthing" of Bush is partly due to it "being the thing to do". Part of his problem is he doesn't follow the protocol prescribed by "polite society" of 2009- in other eras people who "got in people's faces" were often regarded as great warriers. One thing that I've always admired Bush for is he doesn't take any crap.

Walter

Tyr
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

Bush's failure list:

Broken Government | Failures by Full List

Failures : Full List

• Consumers & Workers
    • Limited Ability To Block Dangerous Imports
    • FDA Enforcement Actions Way Down
    • USDA Challenged Over Meat Safety
    • Lack of Adequate Foreign Drug Oversight
    • Problems in Oversight of Food Safety
    • OSHA’s Laissez-Faire Attitude
    • FDA Failure To Ensure Drug Safety
    • Failure To Protect Consumers From Unsafe Products
    • Oversight Collapse Leads To Mine Safety Issues
    • Agricultural Quarantine Inspection Stumbles
    • Eroding Budget Erodes Consumer Safety
    • Lack of Quorum at the CPSC
  • Contracting & Workforce
    • A Failure of Whistleblower Protection
    • Labor Relations Authority: Low Morale, Backlogged Cases
    • Contractors Failing Troops in Iraq and Afghanistan
    • Human Capital Issues Plague Government
    • Surge in Outsourcing Creates Problems in Performance, Oversight
    • Chronic Understaffing at the EEOC

and there is MUCH more!

I was going to say Gopher. That's a pretty short list for such a bumbling moron. I" can't think of one instance where he actually did something...anything to the betterment of society or even America.

People are counting down the days until he's gone

Socrates the Greek
The George W Bush legacy,
a total republican failure.......

Toronto Star, Newspaper, News, Video, Online Video, Video Clip, Photo page #2

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
There already was a thread about this before. It was after the Bog O won the presidency. It sure is a toughie to search for "Bush legacy", isn't it?

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/us...ge-w-bush.html

Socrates the Greek
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

There already was a thread about this before. It was after the Bog O won the presidency. It sure is a toughie to search for "Bush legacy", isn't it?

Good day LG, I thought that the poster the shoes were hitting was making Bush look angrier after every hit.

Socrates the Greek
I did not remember of a thread already made for Bush's Legacy I wish to delete my thread, and follow the oldest existing one.

Socrates the Greek
The George W Bush legacy,
a total republican failure.......

Toronto Star, Newspaper, News, Video, Online Video, Video Clip, Photo page #2

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
So I watched the videclip from your link, the caption below the vid said "The parallel park
Diana Zlomislic and videographer Pawel Dwulit took to the streets of Toronto to see how the average Torontonian is at parallel parking. Video by Pawel Dwulit. For story see tomorrow's Star."
It was a pretty entertaining clip but I fail to see what it had to do with G Dumbya Bush.

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Socrates the Greek View Post

I did not remember of a thread already made for Bush's Legacy I wish to delete my thread, and follow the oldest existing one.

Good Day to you Socrates!!! I just merged the two Threads together for you.

Socrates the Greek
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Good Day to you Socrates!!! I just merged the two Threads together for you.

Great day to you Ron, many thanks enjoy the weekend.

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Socrates the Greek View Post

Great day to you Ron, many thanks enjoy the weekend.

Same to you Socrates...Same to you!!!

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Is the link fixed yet?

NVMD, I just looked. I am still getting the clip on parallel parking.

Socrates the Greek
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Is the link fixed yet?

NVMD, I just looked. I am still getting the clip on parallel parking.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
So you are saying Bush's legacy is lousy parallel parking in Toronto?

YukonJack
Conservative
It is a cinch that at the last minute of the last day of the last week of the last month of the last year of his Presidency, be it one or two terms, this unqualified clown will blame what he inherited from Bush.