WTF is black and orange day?

Avro
Okay, now that the sensitivity police are taking away Christmas they are now focusing on Halloween.

Read a column about it here.

scratch
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

Okay, now that the sensitivity police are taking away Christmas they are now focusing on Halloween.

Read a column about it here.

I hate agreeing with you Boss.

Avro
Quote: Originally Posted by scratch View Post

I hate agreeing with you Boss.

TenPenny
But they can't call it Black and Orange day, because Orange Day is July 12, when all good Protestants attack Catholics.

karrie
Religious persecution and suppression... only okay when you believe you're 'right'. When anyone else does it, it's wrong.

L Gilbert
That's the dominating attitude of the self-righteous idiot. Yup

Avro
I call it the fun police.

Both the left and right have them, in this case it's the left....or is it?

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

I call it the fun police.

Both the left and right have them, in this case it's the left....or is it?

It's not necessarily the left no... there are some right wing religious zealots that think Halloween is evil and should be put to rest.

Nuggler
They'd suck the joy outa Christma...............er the er.........holidays, if you lettem

Scott Free
"In fact, some schools in Toronto and elsewhere now refer to Halloween as “Black and Orange Day,” fearing the H-word itself will be as potentially offensive to certain groups as Christmas may be for some non-Christians."

When did "hall" become offensive?

This PC nonsense is getting ridiculous.

Avro
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

It's not necessarily the left no... there are some right wing religious zealots that think Halloween is evil and should be put to rest.

I know.

The thing is, in most cases it's perceived, in general nobody complains about it it's some nut on some council who arbitrarily decides that people are offended when it reality the are not.

.....and we vote for these idiots.

Nuggler
Actually, children; Halloween was started by the Hallowed-ween Weiner Co. in 1847, to give all the people in the world a chance to eat a weiner.

In those days of yore-mama, the 'Great Pumpkin' would circle the earth givin people the weiner., passing them hand to mouth, or just generally throwin them atcha.....

Some liked it. Some did not. As in all things.

Hence, (probably) the saying..........."eat my weiner"
Or.........He/She's a real weiner.

Later on, Oscar Myer got in on the act with his "I'd like to be an Oscar Myer Weiner", only to realize later, that he was.

Unfortunately, giving out the weiner has morphed into a gradual unhallowedness with the passing out of candies, apples with razorblades, and general s h i t, all under the guise of celebratin Hallowedwein.........er black and orange day.

goddamint!

Another beautiful tradition down the tubes.

shadowshiv
Yet another case of Canada's rampant PC idiocy.

Avro
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshiv View Post

Yet another case of Canada's rampant PC idiocy.

It's not exclusive to Canada.

Risus
I couldn't believe it when I heard this yesterday. As far as I know Halloween has nothing to do with religion so who the hell are we offending??? And if it does who cares??? Its unbelievable that they pay someone to think up this crap. If people don't like the traditions we have been doing in this country (or others) for years and years, they can pack up their bags and go back to the miserable countries they came from....

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

I couldn't believe it when I heard this yesterday. As far as I know Halloween has nothing to do with religion so who the hell are we offending??? And if it does who cares??? Its unbelievable that they pay someone to think up this crap. If people don't like the traditions we have been doing in this country (or others) for years and years, they can pack up their bags and go back to the miserable countries they came from....

Risus, I agree with you completely!!! I even started a thread today to get the conversation
going about what you have just said.
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/qu...ectations.html

karrie

I couldn't believe it when I heard this yesterday. As far as I know Halloween has nothing to do with religion...

Halloween is a Pagan tradition.

Risus

Halloween is a Pagan tradition.

From wikipedia:

Halloween has its origins in the ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain (Irish pronunciation: [ˈsˠaunʲ] ; from the Old Irish samain).[1] The festival of Samhain is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture, and is sometimes[2] regarded as the "Celtic New Year."[3] Traditionally, the festival was a time used by the ancient Celtic pagans to take stock of supplies and slaughter livestock for winter stores. The ancient Gaels believed that on October 31, now known as Halloween, the boundary between the alive and the deceased dissolved, and the dead become dangerous for the living by causing problems such as sickness or damaged crops. The festivals would frequently involve bonfires, into which bones of slaughtered livestock were thrown. Costumes and masks were also worn at the festivals in an attempt to mimic the evil spirits or placate them.[4] [5]

Nothing Pagan there...

karrie

Traditionally, the festival was a time used by the ancient Celtic pagans to take stock of supplies and slaughter livestock for winter stores.[4] [5]

Nothing Pagan there...

except for all the Pagans.

Risus

Good point , but what I was referring to was that there wasn't any 'dark' pagan underworld thing going on. Something more like our thanksgiving in a way.

karrie

Good point , but what I was referring to was that there wasn't any 'dark' pagan underworld thing going on. Something more like our thanksgiving in a way.

very few pagan traditions are dark in any way. Oester, Yule, Samhain.... all have flowed through to create the Easter, Christmas, and All Saints traditions we're familiar with now, such as rabbits and eggs (signs of fertility), lights and evergreens (signs of life and promise in the dead of winter), and scary costumes to hide ourselves from the dead at a time when the veil between our worlds is supposedly at its thinnest.

But, it's a pagan link. And to some religions, anything 'pagan' means evil or satanic, rather than what it truly means which is essentially peasant.... the earth based religions and festivals of common folk, farmers, etc.

Ron in Regina

So.....we're calling Oct.31st "Black&Orange" Day so as not to offend all of the Pagans that
have taken affront to the name "Halloween" and thus all the Pagan marches and protests that
are in the news? Pagan are out in force blocking highways and doing sit-ins in Parliament? Are
they still limiting the protests to non-violent means so far? My tongue is firmly planted in my
cheek as I'm typing this. Did the Pagans (or their representatives) win some court battle that
I missed?

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

So.....we're calling Oct.31st "Black&Orange" Day so as not to offend all of the Pagans that
have taken affront to the name "Halloween" and thus all the Pagan marches and protests that
are in the news? Pagan are out in force blocking highways and doing sit-ins in Parliament? Are
they still limiting the protests to non-violent means so far? My tongue is firmly planted in my
cheek as I'm typing this. Did the Pagans (or their representatives) win some court battle that
I missed?

LOL, right on!

karrie

I missed?

What do the pagans have to do with it?

Risus simply said that it had no religious basis, I pointed out that it did in fact come from a sort of religion, albeit a loosely bound religion.

Risus

What do the pagans have to do with it?

Risus simply said that it had no religious basis, I pointed out that it did in fact come from a sort of religion, albeit a loosely bound religion.

Paganism was not a religion the last time I looked.

karrie

That depends how you're using the term.

But let me clarify...

You stated that as far as you knew, religion had nothing to do with Halloween, but religion is exactly a huge part of people getting their panties in a knot over it, because they associate it with the occult, not knowing the difference between that and the actual pagan origins of it. It's a big part of the fight.

It's moronic, and it's no reason to stop celebrating it, but, it's still part of it.

scratch

My Dear Risus,
What is the basis of a religion in your mind?

hermanntrude

I missed?

perhaps the first nations people should stop complaining entirely... then the government would give them everything they wanted and more

MissAnnika
well regardless of what people say, i'm dressing up anyway and giving candy out to all the little children, and look forward to taking my kids out trick or treating someday when i have some

Ron in Regina
So far I've had a Pony, a Puppy, a Ninja, & I've no idea what that last kid was tonight so far.
I'm staying home to hand out candy. Happy Black & Orange Day!