Ford government creates its own fake news network (Ontario News Now)

mentalfloss
'It's not news': Doug Ford's Ontario News Now attempts to muzzle media, experts say

The Progressive Conservative government's production of a TV-news-style video under the banner of "Ontario News Now" is a "pure example of fake news" that aims to undercut the pillars of democracy and muzzle media, political policy experts say.

"Having a separate news channel kind of corrodes the function of the democratic media, because it assumes that the media isn't able to fulfil the function that is assigned to them," said Jonathan Rose, a political science professor at Queen's University.

The partisan channel launched on Monday via social media with a minute-long video that served as a highlight reel of Ontario Premier Doug Ford's photo ops during his first month in power and chronicled his alleged campaign successes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...racy-1.4769639

DaSleeper
https://globalnews.ca/news/4079428/a...ment-syndrome/

mentalfloss
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

Hoid
Ontario News Now is too long.

Trump just calls his Fox

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
I know some PCs that will be very upset to see their party getting into the propaganda business.

Doug Ford was a mistake.

mentalfloss
Ford is already losing his base.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Ford is already losing his base.

He was never much interested in a lot of the traditional PC principles. As we saw on the attack on Toronto's city government, it's all about Doug (Ring any other bells?) and Doug's need to get even.

The City of Toronto is the sixth largest government in Canada (after: Canada, Ontario, Quebec, B.C, Alberta) and it now has only 22 elected representatives on it. Even the most hard-bitten Libertarian can see how amti-democratic, pro-"big government" that move is. The sixth largest Canadian government is a dictatorship of a small committee controlled by one mean-spirited premier.

DaSleeper
+3
Now you know what it feels like for Northern ontario to be controlled by a hundred kilometer strip of population on the south border of the province

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Now you know what it feels like for Northern ontario to be controlled by a hundred kilometer strip of population on the south border of the province

Much better that the one million "up there" control the other twelve million "down there".

That's the spirit of democracy!

You didn't say that you are a Leninist, previously.

DaSleeper
+1
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbu...tion-1.3433411

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation

Go for it. I won't lose any sleep over it.

petros

It's more Western than Northern.

Toronto is parallel to Casper Wyoming which is 1000km south of me and I'm 150km from the border.

MHz
Look at this, the solution for the lack of foreign investment. Can this be the logo?

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Toronto is parallel to Casper Wyoming which is 1000km south of me and I'm 150km from the border.

I suggest a referendum that gives everything within, oh, I don't know, . . 153km from the border to the US to do with as they will and we'll give them a map to the parts that are swamp.

DaSleeper

My location is just a couple of miles north of the 49th parallel

MHz
How many locations have you been to where you were, most likely, the first person to leave footy prints on the ground? 'Flat-landers' is an actual term people in the north use when referencing the people to the south.

DaSleeper
What the hell are you talkin' about?

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation

I'm posting from the same latitude as Florence, Italy.

MHz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WUTlCTi7fg

Of course you are Dear.

I got lost at the airport and ended up in something called 'a Winnipeg'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdvr-4nYs5s

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WUTlCTi7fg

Of course you are Dear.

I got lost at the airport and ended up in something called 'a Winnipeg'.

Don't go to the North part of that at night.

MHz
Is that where all the children get disappeared?

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+4 / -1
#21  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

He was never much interested in a lot of the traditional PC principles. As we saw on the attack on Toronto's city government, it's all about Doug (Ring any other bells?) and Doug's need to get even.

The City of Toronto is the sixth largest government in Canada (after: Canada, Ontario, Quebec, B.C, Alberta) and it now has only 22 elected representatives on it. Even the most hard-bitten Libertarian can see how amti-democratic, pro-"big government" that move is. The sixth largest Canadian government is a dictatorship of a small committee controlled by one mean-spirited premier.

How the f*ck is reducing the size of Toronto City council in any way "pro-big govt"? By the by, the City of Montreal also has a bigger govt than Toronto.

No worries though. Some woman is campaigning to make Toronto a province. I have no problem with that. Then they can pay for their own shit instead of expecting the rest of Ontario to help fund whatever. Toronto's govt can then also be as big as it f*cking wants.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

How the f*ck is reducing the size of Toronto City council in any way "pro-big govt"? By the by, the City of Montreal also has a bigger govt than Toronto.

No worries though. Some woman is campaigning to make Toronto a province. I have no problem with that. Then they can pay for their own shit instead of expecting the rest of Ontario to help fund whatever. Toronto's govt can then also be as big as it f*cking wants.

I know that you're not the brightest but try to follow.

You have the sixth largest government in Canada represented by 44 elected councellors making decisions on behalf of the citizens of the city. Along comes a Tamany Hall Fatcat from the outside who banishes half of the local representatives ... by decree, not consulting a single soul because he has scores to settle ... and you have only 22 people, friendly to the Fat-cat, now making the decisions for THE SIXTH LARGEST GOVERNMENT IN CANADA.

Could you imagine what would happen in Libetarian, tough guy Alberta if the Feds suddenly decreed without consultation that Alberta can only have 25 members of her Provincial Parlianent because we need to beat back big government? Not only that, make sure that the ridings with representation are friendly to the Federal Prime Minister who made the decree to get even with Albertans that he doesn't like? What do you think will happen?

Forcing a government that disburses more money than most provinces do into being run by less that two dozen carefully chosen buddies, is big, corrupt, Tanany Hall government at it's worst. If you were a real Conservative, you would get that. If you are merely part of the current crop of Trump-me-too-Neo-Nazis you will never get it because it far surpasses your intellectual capacities. You obviously don't have any use for democracy on the local level, which is the foundation cornerstone of North American democracy going right back to the beginning.
Last edited by Curious Cdn; Aug 2nd, 2018 at 07:25 PM..

Danbones
Free Thinker
Oh, so NOW you miss Patrick Brown I see.

too bad he was clintonated out of his job in such an undemocratic manner.

MHz
Time to diversify and make it 44 of the smallest Governments in Canada. 'Dictatorstan' so the new arrivals feel like they are still at home. Yes the Irish can still be drunken rebels, in that order like they requested, . . . . again.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I know that you're not the brightest but try to follow.

You have the sixth largest government in Canada represented by 44 elected councellors making decisions on behalf of the citizens of the city. Along comes a Tamany Hall Fatcat from the outside who banishes half of the local representatives ... by decree, not consulting a single soul because he has scores to settle ... and you have only 22 people, friendly to the Fat-cat, now making the decisions for THE SIXTH LARGEST GOVERNMENT IN CANADA.

Could you imagine what would happen in Libetarian, tough guy Alberta if the Feds suddenly decreed without consultation that Alberta can only have 25 members of her Provincial Parlianent because we need to beat back big government? Not only that, make sure that the ridings with representation are friendly to the Federal Prime Minister who made the decree to get even with Albertans that he doesn't like? What do you think will happen?

Forcing a government that disburses more money than most provinces do into being run by less that two dozen carefully chosen buddies, is big, corrupt, Tanany Hall government at it's worst. If you were a real Conservative, you would get that. If you are merely part of the current crop of Trump-me-too-Neo-Nazis you will never get it because it far surpasses your intellectual capacities. You obviously don't have any use for democracy on the local level, which is the foundation cornerstone of North American democracy going right back to the beginning.

Reduction was bound to happen. It has just taken this long to finalize what Lastman started under amalgamation.

Face it, there are a lot of council who want to keep their redundant jobs.

MHz
+1
The People should hold a referendum on their own, vote on which one to keep and which one to kick to the curb, the Federal or the Provincial Government, time to end the double billing while getting 1/2 the service.

Let the bidding wars begin.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation

Reduction was bound to happen. It has just taken this long to finalize what Lastman started under amalgamation.

Face it, there are a lot of council who want to keep their redundant jobs.

It's already smaller that a lot city council across the country that represent much smaller cities.

The only thing "inevitable" about it is that Doug Ford is a lesser bring that holds grudges for a city council that totally rejected him and his world view.

I love all of the Marxist-Leninists on here who love highly cemtrallized authority with as little representation as possible.

By the way, as a point of history, Lastman DID NOT cause that amalgamation. Mike Harris did. Mel was a result of amalgamation and, like another fat clown that followed him, was a symptom of how and why not to mess with civic politics.

justducky
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

'It's not news': Doug Ford's Ontario News Now attempts to muzzle media, experts say

The Progressive Conservative government's production of a TV-news-style video under the banner of "Ontario News Now" is a "pure example of fake news" that aims to undercut the pillars of democracy and muzzle media, political policy experts say.

"Having a separate news channel kind of corrodes the function of the democratic media, because it assumes that the media isn't able to fulfil the function that is assigned to them," said Jonathan Rose, a political science professor at Queen's University.

The partisan channel launched on Monday via social media with a minute-long video that served as a highlight reel of Ontario Premier Doug Ford's photo ops during his first month in power and chronicled his alleged campaign successes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...racy-1.4769639

Ford spokesperson uses term 'fake news' to deny a quote from his minister said the day before:
https://www.thestar.com/amp/news/que...mpression=true

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by justducky View Post

Ford spokesperson uses term 'fake news' to deny a quote from his minister said the day before:
https://www.thestar.com/amp/news/que...mpression=true

The moronic idiots from "down there" buy this guff and so will the moronic idiots from "up here", no doubt.

10larry
+1
If your inclined to waste some time tune TO city council then decide if this group appears as serious representitives of a large city or lil kids at recess.
Many times I didn't agree with the late jack layton but he always articulated his position(s) well, don't know what happened to his son mike all he does is whine, the lefties don't want their trough drained. City hall's been in need of a trough dump valve for some time following the reign of star deep left fielder david miller.
http://www.youtube.com/user/thecityoftoronto